ANNOUNCE: Amsdos CPC Protext (etc) goes "Virtually PD"

Brian Watson

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
I would be obliged if this (or a version of it) could be added to the csa8
FAQ:

Apart from the CP/M version of Protext and the 16 and 32 bit
(PC/Atari/Amiga/BBC-Acorn Archimedes) versions of the program (which are not
mine), all the ex-Arnor Amsdos programs are now, with effect from 1st May
1999, declared "Virtually PD".

What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer
selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge, Promerge Plus,
Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the Protext
Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.

I retain the copyright to all the programs, mainly to stop anyone ripping
off CPC users by exploiting the programs for profit, but the authorised
distributor of all the programs in their tape, disc and ROM versions will be
WACCI's Homebrew/PD library.

Some while ago Peter Campbell of ComSoft and I posted here and elsewhere
that we had no objection to images of any/all of the programs being used
under emulators.

As of today, I am withdrawing any objection to reverse-engineering back to
real CPC-usable versions. We knew it was going on but, you know, you have to
keep up appearances.

:-)

Other people/organisations may *also* now distribute all the Amsdos versions
of the programs mentioned above, *but only for a nominal copying fee*.

However, WACCI will be the organisation where further program development
will be centred. It is hoped that a team can be put together to work in a
co-ordinated way with the source code to add some features which users have
requested.

I am also interested in looking into the feasibility of adapting the
programs for use on other platforms (SAM, Spectrum, C64, etc)

All this will be covered in fuller detail in the WACCI magazine over the
next few issues.

I am still offering free user support on all the programs, now regardless of
their source of supply, and printed manuals for all the programs will be
available (only from me) at 6UK pounds each (plus 2 UK pounds for overseas
orders).

This is a little over the manuals' printing and production costs, and all
profits from the sale of manuals will be used to pay for the further
development costs after a nominal amount has been deducted by me towards my
costs of supplying the user support.

The whole point of rescuing the programs when Arnor Ltd went out of business
was to keep them available and properly supported at reasonable cost. This
is the latest step in that process.

If anyone would like further information on the programs' change of status,
either post enquiries to comp.sys.amstrad.8bit (the principal newsgroup
covering the programs as they are now) or send them to me at
pro...@spheroid.demon.co.uk

Brian

Andreas Micklei

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
In comp.sys.amstrad.8bit Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> mine), all the ex-Arnor Amsdos programs are now, with effect from 1st May
> 1999, declared "Virtually PD".

Great! I do nothing serious on my CPC nowadays but I am really looking
forward to trying out Maxam in the near future for my hobby projects.
Thanks Brian!

bye...
Andreas Micklei

--
| Andreas Micklei - nur...@gmx.de / nur...@cs.tu-berlin.de / Public key |
| V 3.1: GCS d- s:-- a- C++$ UBLS++$ P>++ L++(+++)$ E--- /\ / available |

EMMANUEL ROUSSIN

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
BW> What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer
BW> selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge, Promerge Plus,
BW> Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the Protext
BW> Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.

Does someone has this files ?

Brian, can you provide an asci documentation of these programs to be
included with the compressed archives ?
---
* JABBER v1.2 *

David Cantrell

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
On Fri, 07 May 99 09:03:00 +0100, rou...@genesis8.frmug.org (EMMANUEL
ROUSSIN) said:

>BW> What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer
>BW> selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge, Promerge Plus,
>BW> Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the Protext
>BW> Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.
>
>Does someone has this files ?

I'll dig out my C and BCPL disks.

--
David Cantrell, part-time Unix/perl/SQL/java techie
full-time chef/musician/homebrewer

Richard Wildey

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
So will we ever see a release of the source code then Brian?

Richard

Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I would be obliged if this (or a version of it) could be added to the csa8
> FAQ:
>

> Apart from the CP/M version of Protext and the 16 and 32 bit
> (PC/Atari/Amiga/BBC-Acorn Archimedes) versions of the program (which are
not

> mine), all the ex-Arnor Amsdos programs are now, with effect from 1st May
> 1999, declared "Virtually PD".
>

> What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer

> selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge, Promerge
Plus,

> Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the
Protext

> Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.

Brian Watson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Richard Wildey <Ric...@Wildey.com> wrote in message

> So will we ever see a release of the source code then Brian?

Yes. It is intended that it will be done through WACCI as a "Protext series"
development project.

I don't see sticking it up on the web somewhere for people to rip for their
*own* commercial program development, though. I'm not *that* dumb.

:-)

You and others who express an interest would be invited to be a part of that
development project under a binding non-disclosure agreement. We don't see
any merit in a lot of little "garage" projects springing up all over the
place when a co-ordinated project should achieve a better end result to then
be distributed to Protext users at a "next to nothing" price.

So start working on a wish list, everyone!

By the way, my posting here of that announcement that WACCI would be
handling the Amsdos versions of the programs was a major premature cock-up
on my part, especially as negotiations were/are still in progress. I blame
the technology.

It *is* now all agreed, apart from a few practical details, which I'll post
here as soon as I can.

For now, all enquiries on/for the programs should come to me and I'll
redirect them if necessary.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel and other have pointed out that the original header to
the posting - "ANNOUNCE: Amsdos CPC Protext (etc) goes "Virtually PD" - is a
bit misleading.

The revised version is the heading to this posting. Protext etc are still
covered by my copyright.

That said, the idea is that "stage one" of the new arrangements will be the
transfer from me to WACCI of a copy of each of the master copies. I will
retain the originals and the full copyright (this latter to prevent anyone
selling them at an inflated price to users).

For instance, about a year ago I heard that someone was selling pirate
ROMs - blown to order without any user support or documentation - for twenty
pounds, when we were offering an official one with a properly printed manual
and with free user support for half that price.

The money-grabbing rip-off artist claimed he was just offering a "service"
to people who'd broken their own ROMs, but he'd supply to anyone,
regardless, at those prices. Cowboy, or what?

Stage two of the transfer process will establish the programs with the
person at WACCI (name and other details to be announced later) who will then
be able to supply them on behalf of the club, but not necessarily
exclusively to WACCI members.

I will offer the option of printed manuals at *a little* over their
production cost.

Stage three will publish a "where we are now" statement and set up the
project to develop the Amsdos "Protext family" programs further under
WACCI's aegis.

Brian

Brian Watson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

EMMANUEL ROUSSIN <rou...@genesis8.frmug.org> wrote in message
> BW> What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer
> BW> selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge, Promerge
Plus,
> BW> Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the
Protext
> BW> Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.
>
> Does someone have this files ?

Yes, just me at the moment.

:-)

> Brian, can you provide an ASCII documentation of these programs to be

> included with the compressed archives ?

No. The programs *and documentation* are all still covered by copyright, but
*the programs* will be available shortly from the WACCI web site, as well as
from them by post on either actual disc or ROM.

I will supply printed manuals from here at *a little* over their cost price.
Any profits made from that will be used to fund further program promotion
and development.

Brian

Brian Watson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

David Cantrell <Nuke...@ThePentagon.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 07 May 99 09:03:00 +0100, rou...@genesis8.frmug.org (EMMANUEL
> ROUSSIN) said:
>
> >BW> What this means is that, with immediate effect, ComSoft is no longer
> >BW> selling/supplying the *Amsdos* versions of Protext, Promerge,
Promerge Plus,
> >BW> Prospell, Utopia, Amsdos Maxam, Amsdos C, Amsdos BCPL, Protype, the
Protext
> >BW> Help ROM, Model Universe and Protext Office.
> >
> >Does someone has this files ?
>
> I'll dig out my C and BCPL disks.

Save yourself a job, David. They will *all* be going up on the WACCI web
site soon.

Brian

Message has been deleted

Brian Watson

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Benjamin Fall <be...@ihs.altavista.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 9 May 1999 13:59:37 +0100, "Brian Watson"
>
> >> So will we ever see a release of the source code then Brian?
> >I don't see sticking it up on the web somewhere for people to rip for
their
> >*own* commercial program development, though. I'm not *that* dumb.
>
> 'Commercial' development?

Yes.

On an 8-bit Amstrad?

Yes.

If not, why did I get in my postbox two people who are already currently
selling commercial programs for 8-bit Amstrads? They were *very* quick off
the mark.

It may have escaped your notice that there are still quite a *lot* of
programs which are still sold and supported for Amstrad 8-bits. And they are
not all in one pair of hands by any means.

My intention in setting up this transfer of distribution arrangements is for
WACCI to offer the programs to users on whatever terms they choose.

A significant part of the plan is to enable further development, in a
co-ordinated way under WACCI, of the Amsdos "Protext family" programs. That
will obviously entail letting the developers who will work on the programs
have access to the source code.

Interested, or are you just a sideline sniper?

By the way, I'm not getting "a percentage" of their sales of these programs;
not *now* and not *later*.

How clear is that?

In fact the only way I stand to benefit financially by this change of
distribution arrangements at all is by the sale of manuals. But then you
don't reckon there's a market, do you? I have already said that profits from
the manuals' sales will be ploughed back into supporting and developing the
Protext family of programs.

> And surely there
> can't be that much competition otherwise you wouldn't let them become
> PD and lose all that revenue...!

The "Protext family" of programs are *not* going PD. Clear?

Only the means of distribution (and the prices) are changing. For all sorts
of reasons (you really should read the article in WACCI when it appears)
this is the soonest I could do it.

You can't have it both ways. Either there is revenue to be made from
publishing for Amstrad 8-bits or there isn't.

In fact there *is*, but I'm not the money-grabbing bastard you seem to think
I am, hence the new arrangements.

Incidentally, I don't have any problem with software suppliers continuing to
sell and support software for Amstrad 8-bits and make a profit by so doing.
Do you?

Or are you in the "all property - especially 8-bit software - is theft"
camp?

> Still the last 8-bit tycoon, eh Brian... ;-)

You'll see whether that is/was so or not when I publish all the sales
figures for all the Protext family programs in the "Protext re-launch"
article I'm doing for WACCI's magazine.

There's nothing like the truth to blow the cobwebs away, I find.

:-)

Brian

Message has been deleted

Brian Watson

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99

> On Mon, 10 May 1999 15:56:25 +0100, "Brian Watson"
>
> >A significant part of the plan is to enable further development, in a
> >co-ordinated way under WACCI, of the Amsdos "Protext family" programs.
That
> >will obviously entail letting the developers who will work on the
programs
> >have access to the source code.
> >Interested, or are you just a sideline sniper?
>
> Oh, I am definately interested in the open developments of programs to
> make them better.

Then you will be disappointed with this, because it's going to be "closed"
development in the sense you mean it.

> I mean, there's a full 32-bit Unix operating system
> and Web Browser available, all with full source for anyone to see and
> modify as needed, either as a customisation or for the better of the
> program's user community.

Irrelevant to the case under discussion.

There are a number of PD word processors available for CPCs, so you can use
those if you choose to go the PD/freeware route.

> >In fact there *is*, but I'm not the money-grabbing bastard you seem to
think
> >I am, hence the new arrangements.
>

> My posting was intended to be a bit tounge in cheek, hence the winking
> smiley at the end. However, I do have an opinion on the matter, which
> is that when there is so much open development on other platforms with
> source code (Linux and most of it's applications) and that we're
> dealing with a defunct 8-bit computer

Nonsense. The CPC is still widely used and supported.

> with has massive pirate software libraries available on the internet,

Really? Of CPC software?

> then I feel it's a bit over the
> top to be so protective about such matters.

So therefore, if it's done, it's right? That really doesn't stand up to
close examination, does it?

> >Incidentally, I don't have any problem with software suppliers continuing
> >sell and support software for Amstrad 8-bits and make a profit by so
doing.
> >Do you?
>

> I think I'd make everything PD, release the source code and move onto
> another platform such as the PC and make much more money than I would
> with a CPC.

Ah, so *you* are the (potential) money-making bastard.

:-)

But you can't because you don't have anything worth selling.

This is not about money. In this case, it's about keeping the programs
available with manuals and user support, and also the right of anyone with
an item protected by copyright to excercise that right.

> But then I would continue to help others with the CPC
> purely because I have a keen interest in it. But then that's just me,
> isn't it...

No.

> >Or are you in the "all property - especially 8-bit software - is theft"
> >camp?
>

> This doesn't make *any* sense at all to me.

> >You'll see whether that is/was so or not when I publish all the sales
> >figures for all the Protext family programs in the "Protext re-launch"
> >article I'm doing for WACCI's magazine.
>

> Sorry, I don't read Wacci.

Want a free one?

I thought I just read, "but then I would continue to help others with the
CPC purely because I have a keen interest in it."

In terms of wanting to be part of the support network for CPC users, I would
say that being a part of WACCI would be an essential.

But then that's just me, isn't it...

Brian

Message has been deleted

david ledbury

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99

Benjamin Fall wrote in message <37387c4f...@news.dial.pipex.com>...
>On Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:33 +0100, "Brian Watson"
>
>Not at all. All I was trying to point out is that if people willingly
>develop and support such a complex (and also comercially viable)
>software for free, I can't see why you're protective about an 8-bit
>word processor from the 1980s.

Well... just butting into this one-sided conversation - with an approving
nod from myself to Brian!

Well done!

Oh, and BTW - what elements of Protext would require more than just a
standard support for CPM 2.2 for running on another 8 Bit platform?

David

David Cantrell

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
On Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:33 +0100, "Brian Watson"

>Benjamin Fall <be...@ihs.altavista.net> wrote in message
>

>> with has massive pirate software libraries available on the internet,
>
>Really? Of CPC software?

nvg contains about 112Mb of games alone, nearly all of which are
without permission from their owners. Yeah, fairly massive ;-)

And, BTW, for anyone who's looking for all of Brian's goodies on
typhoon, you won't find them - I run a MIRROR, not a 'first-line'
archive. New stuff will only appear there when it has appeared on nvg
or lip6.

Talking of which ... does anyone know what's happened to Noel Llopis?
He doesn't seem to have posted since 18/8/1998.

Brian Watson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

> On Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:33 +0100, "Brian Watson"
>
> >> I mean, there's a full 32-bit Unix operating system
> >> and Web Browser available, all with full source for anyone to see and
> >Irrelevant to the case under discussion.
>
> Not at all. All I was trying to point out is that if people willingly
> develop and support such a complex (and also comercially viable)
> software for free, I can't see why you're protective about an 8-bit
> word processor from the 1980s.

Because not everyone has access to a PC for downloading or running an
emulator, nor can get by without a manual.

As long as the demand is there I will provide for it as best I can. That
costs money and asking for respect of the copyright ensures that there is a
rolling fund for reprinting, distribution and publicity costs.

I gave permission for the Amsdos versions of the Protext family of programs
to go up on the web ages ago with the proviso that people should not
reverse-engineer them.

> >> with has massive pirate software libraries available on the internet,
> >Really? Of CPC software?
>

> http://typhoon.wirestation.co.uk:8080/mirrors/
> There's rather a lot there...

I don't think so, though I may be wrong. I just had a look and did not see
anything that looked like it was breaching copyright.

> >> Sorry, I don't read Wacci.
> >Want a free one?
> >I thought I just read, "but then I would continue to help others with the
> >CPC purely because I have a keen interest in it."
>

> csa8 is enough for me. I can't stand the bureaucracy of anything
> else.

Curiously, I don't find getting (or contributing to) a magazine at all
bureaucratic.

> I just want to enjoy the CPC and not have to wonder about
> copyright, rights or anything like that. Surely its a bit late in the
> day to be worrying about this for (I'll say it again) comercially dead
> computer.

And yet there is a demand for programs. Your logic is contradictory.

I used to have a kid and his mother who came into my shop many years ago. We
called the boy Mewant.

Everything he saw, it was "Mewant this", "Mewant that" and he was very bad
at taking no for an answer.

He just didn't understand that some things are free and some things are not
free and it is up to the person who owns the thing to decide whether it is
free or not.

Brian

Brian Watson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
david ledbury <dave...@theoffice.net.deletethisbit> wrote in message

> Benjamin Fall wrote in message <37387c4f...@news.dial.pipex.com>...
> >On Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:33 +0100, "Brian Watson"
> >
> >Not at all. All I was trying to point out is that if people willingly
> >develop and support such a complex (and also comercially viable)
> >software for free, I can't see why you're protective about an 8-bit
> >word processor from the 1980s.
>

> Well... just butting into this one-sided conversation - with an approving
> nod from myself to Brian!
>
> Well done!
>
> Oh, and BTW - what elements of Protext would require more than just a
> standard support for CPM 2.2 for running on another 8 Bit platform?

No idea; I'm not at all up on programming. I would guess keyboard reading
and therefore some keystrokes would require redefinition for a different
machine.

But the possibility of adapting Amsdos/CPC Protext for other computers *is*
now a possibility again with the distribution and day-to-day management of
it transferring to the WACCI computer club.

Brian

Brian Watson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

> On Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:33 +0100, "Brian Watson"
>
> >Benjamin Fall <be...@ihs.altavista.net> wrote in message

> >> with has massive pirate software libraries available on the internet,
> >
> >Really? Of CPC software?
>
> nvg contains about 112Mb of games alone, nearly all of which are
> without permission from their owners. Yeah, fairly massive ;-)

I am prepared to take Noel's word that reasonable efforts have been made to
trace copyright owners. I know a lot of this work was done by Spectrum
enthusiasts.

He also offers to take down anything when an objection is raised by a
copyright owner, which is also OK by me, though he could be in trouble if
the copyright owner decided to take a literal view.

> And, BTW, for anyone who's looking for all of Brian's goodies on
> typhoon, you won't find them - I run a MIRROR, not a 'first-line'
> archive. New stuff will only appear there when it has appeared on nvg
> or lip6.

All the *Amsdos* Protext &ct ones, in their *latest* versions, will shortly
be uploaded through WACCI, as previously announced.

> Talking of which ... does anyone know what's happened to Noel Llopis?
> He doesn't seem to have posted since 18/8/1998.

Deer with no eyes.

Brian

Andreas Micklei

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Hi Brian,

Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [Protext sources]

> I don't see sticking it up on the web somewhere for people to rip for their
> *own* commercial program development, though. I'm not *that* dumb.

If this is the only reason for keeping the sources closed have you
ever considered that the GPL might be just for you?

No I don't intend to work on Protext and I am not interested in the
sources but I like the way the GPL has enabled development in the
Linux (and free software in general) community without the risk
of anybody exploiting the work of others. It is really something
different than just putting something in the PD.

Of course this is your decision. Releasing the binaries as freeware
is already a very nice move. :-)

Simon Matthews

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Brian Watson wrote:

re noel lopis

> Deer with no eyes.

Paralysed deer with no eyes in need of viagra

--
Simon Matthews ------------------ s.j.matthews@<btl>mds.qmw.ac.uk

"They that give up liberty to obtain "Do you hear what I hear?"
safety deserve neither" - Ben Franklin - Eye, ..AJFA, Metallica

Brian Watson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Simon Matthews <s.j.ma...@btl.mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Brian Watson wrote:
>
> re noel lopis
>
> > Deer with no eyes.
>
> Paralysed deer with no eyes in need of viagra

Still no fucking idea?

Brian

David Cantrell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Wed, 12 May 1999 09:15:06 +0100, "Brian Watson"

>> >Really? Of CPC software?
>>

>> http://typhoon.wirestation.co.uk:8080/mirrors/
>> There's rather a lot there...
>
>I don't think so, though I may be wrong. I just had a look and did not see
>anything that looked like it was breaching copyright.

You obviously missed the 100+Mb of games, Brian ;-)

David Cantrell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Wed, 12 May 1999 08:37:07 GMT, Andreas Micklei <nur...@gmx.de>
said:

>Hi Brian,
>
>Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> [Protext sources]
>> I don't see sticking it up on the web somewhere for people to rip for their
>> *own* commercial program development, though. I'm not *that* dumb.
>
>If this is the only reason for keeping the sources closed have you
>ever considered that the GPL might be just for you?

Particularly considering that companies such as Caldera and Redhat
make their money by selling the manuals and telephone support for the
free software they supply ...

Brian Watson

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

> On Wed, 12 May 1999 09:15:06 +0100, "Brian Watson"

> >> http://typhoon.wirestation.co.uk:8080/mirrors/
> >> There's rather a lot there...
> >
> >I don't think so, though I may be wrong. I just had a look and did not
see
> >anything that looked like it was breaching copyright.
>
> You obviously missed the 100+Mb of games, Brian ;-)

No, on the contrary, I made a point of looking.

The Spectrum community has made quite a sustained mission to contact
software houses or the programmers, most of whom are still around, to get
copyright permissions.

Brian

Brian Watson

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

> On Wed, 12 May 1999 08:37:07 GMT, Andreas Micklei <nur...@gmx.de>
> said:
>
> >Hi Brian,
> >
> >Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> [Protext sources]
> >> I don't see sticking it up on the web somewhere for people to rip for
their
> >> *own* commercial program development, though. I'm not *that* dumb.
> >
> >If this is the only reason for keeping the sources closed have you
> >ever considered that the GPL might be just for you?
>
> Particularly considering that companies such as Caldera and Redhat
> make their money by selling the manuals and telephone support for the
> free software they supply ...

Charging for manuals?

That's outrageous!

Remind me to get a premium phone line installed!

:-)

Brian

Richard Fairhurst

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
David Cantrell <Nuke...@ThePentagon.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 1999 08:37:07 GMT, Andreas Micklei <nur...@gmx.de>
> said:
>
> >If this is the only reason for keeping the sources closed have you
> >ever considered that the GPL might be just for you?
>
> Particularly considering that companies such as Caldera and Redhat
> make their money by selling the manuals and telephone support for the
> free software they supply ...

Actually, I'd refuse to do any work on Protext if it was GPLed. I think
the GPL sucks.

I'm much happier to see that Brian is doing a Robot and using a term not
a million miles away from "Almost PD".

--
| Richard Fairhurst (hi chaps, I'm back)
| National Tasty e-zine: www.systemed.u-net.com
| The point is not to put poetry at the disposal of the revolution,
| but to put the revolution at the disposal of poetry.

Craig Harrison

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Richard Fairhurst wrote

>(hi chaps, I'm back)

Good, about time! but is there any sign of BTL5 yet?!!!!!?
;-)

Craig
Crai...@AmsTech.freeserve.co.uk

Andreas Micklei

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Hi Brian,

Brian Watson <br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> [GPL]

>> Particularly considering that companies such as Caldera and Redhat
>> make their money by selling the manuals and telephone support for the
>> free software they supply ...

> Charging for manuals?

> That's outrageous!

> Remind me to get a premium phone line installed!

> :-)

;-)))

I am not sure how well you know RedHat. All software and documentation
they provide is under the GPL. Everyone can copy it, get the sourcecode,
contribute to it, give it away, sell it, etc...
But: Of course the people at RedHat know their software best so many
people (including big companies) buy printed manuals and support
from RedHat.

I admit it is strange to see a company that pays programmers for
writing free software. But it works and they actually do make some
money from it.

Of course anybody could sell their work at extraordinary high prices
but nobody would buy it. And nobody can rip their work for a commercial
project with is not released under the GPL.

Ok. I think I have made my point now and will stop buggering you before
this debate gets to religious. ;-)

ciao...

David Cantrell

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
On Thu, 13 May 1999 10:06:13 +0000, ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma
(Richard Fairhurst) said:

>Actually, I'd refuse to do any work on Protext if it was GPLed. I think
>the GPL sucks.

Yeah, it has its problems - I far prefer Larry Wall's "Artistic
License" which is less restrictive than the GPL.

david ledbury

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Andreas Micklei wrote in message ...

>Ok. I think I have made my point now and will stop buggering you before
>this debate gets to religious. ;-)

I'm trying not to comment on that last sentence.... but it's hard to keep my
face straight with it ;)

Message has been deleted

Brian Watson

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Richard Fairhurst <ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma> wrote in message

> David Cantrell <Nuke...@ThePentagon.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 May 1999 08:37:07 GMT, Andreas Micklei <nur...@gmx.de>
> > said:
> >
> > >If this is the only reason for keeping the sources closed have you
> > >ever considered that the GPL might be just for you?
> >
> > Particularly considering that companies such as Caldera and Redhat
> > make their money by selling the manuals and telephone support for the
> > free software they supply ...
>
> Actually, I'd refuse to do any work on Protext if it was GPLed. I think
> the GPL sucks.

I think you'll find that the appropriate abbreviation in connection with
"sucks" is NPL.

;-)

> I'm much happier to see that Brian is doing a Robot and using a term not
> a million miles away from "Almost PD".

That's it; still covered by copyright, but virtually giving it away.

Brian

Simon Matthews

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Craig Harrison wrote:

> Good, about time! but is there any sign of BTL5 yet?!!!!!?

Sorry - same old same old at the moment I'm afraid...... but
should be out shortly when the annual STS get-together-finish-
btl-finish-palatine-get-totally-hammered-o-thon rolls around again or
something :-)

Richard Fairhurst

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
david ledbury <dave...@theoffice.net.deletethisbit> wrote:

> Oh, and BTW - what elements of Protext would require more than just a
> standard support for CPM 2.2 for running on another 8 Bit platform?

Protext isn't a CP/M 2.2 program.

There are two versions: AMSDOS and "CP/M". The AMSDOS version is a
standard CPC-specific app, which uses both CPC firmware and its own
routines to control the hardware.

The "CP/M" version is launched from CP/M 3.1 (CP/M Plus), and has
hardware-specific optimisations for CPC and PCW computers. I don't know
if it would work on any other CP/M systems, to be honest.

I'd suggest the best technique for (say) a Spectrum version would be to
work from the AMSDOS code, initially replacing screen, keyboard, and
disc access routines.