Lets get it together

DwerryPF

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Hi all,

WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups, fanzines,
disczines etc.

The aim is to keep the CPC alive as long as possible by exchanging views,
software, news and help if needed.

WACCI has set up an officer to oversee this and I have sent him faq to get
him going. If you know of any groups etc., that are not covered by faq
then please let me know so that I might pass the information over.

BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
wanted.

Thanks,

Paul
WACCI Treasurer and Distributions

Andrew Cadley

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970528203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

> Hi all,
>
> WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups,
fanzines,
> disczines etc.

> BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
> wanted.

<rant mode>

Well keep my name out of it then, I *am* actively developing for the CPC,
or at least will be v. soon, but I don't want to be associated with
anything that doesn't support freedom of speech.

</rant mode>

Andy

DwerryPF

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

>Andrew Cadley thinks:-

><rant mode>

>Well keep my name out of it then, I *am* actively developing for the CPC,
>or at least will be v. soon, but I don't want to be associated with
>anything that doesn't support freedom of speech.

></rant mode>

You must have been listening to RATB too much, WACCI welcomes all views
and would be interested to hear yours.

Paul.

Rob Scott

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970528203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
> Hi all,

Here we go....

> WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups,
fanzines,
> disczines etc.

> The aim is to keep the CPC alive as long as possible by exchanging views,
> software, news and help if needed.

Yeah, but can the readers stay awake long enough to finish the
magazine..... As for help, I take it that will consist of "Hmmm, I don't
know the answer to that one...If any of our readers can help then please
write in etc etc...". Same Old Same Old....

> WACCI has set up an officer to oversee this and I have sent him faq to
get
> him going. If you know of any groups etc., that are not covered by faq
> then please let me know so that I might pass the information over.

Sort of like Dads Army....

> BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
> wanted.

Good then you won't be putting issue 4 of BTL in the library then? Thank
God for that....Now the WACCI readers that want BTL can get it direct from
source. Great!

AC/DC, great group..Unlike WANKKI

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

> WACCI Treasurer and Domino Distributions

No Thanks

L8r Mate!

Rob

Rob Scott

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote in article

<19970528214...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

> You must have been listening to RATB too much, WACCI welcomes all views
> and would be interested to hear yours.

Especially if they are about Dominoes....

> Paul.

> WACCI Treasurer and Distributions

Rob

Brian Watson

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

What a remarkable amount of rising to bait one gets at this time of the year.
--
Brian Watson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Andrew Cadley

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

> You must have been listening to RATB too much, WACCI welcomes all views
> and would be interested to hear yours.

Shouldn't that read 'all views, *except* those held by BTL members'.

I'm not saying I agree with the BTL viewpoint, or indeed the WACCI one. I
can't really see why there's any need for so much spite in the CPC world.
C64 and speccy owners never have this trouble (except between each other
;-) )

Andy

Kev Thacker

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

On 28 May 1997 20:38:42 GMT, dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

>Hi all,
Hi!

>BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
>wanted.

Count me out then. You lot are so far up your own arses. (illegidely,
allegidly). Can you see the wood for the trees?

Kev

Simon Forrester

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

> WACCI has set up an officer to oversee this

Who?

--
Simon Forrester
On-line editor: SFX magazine

Simon Matthews

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Simon Forrester wrote:

> In article <19970528203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
> dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:
>
> > WACCI has set up an officer to oversee this
>
> Who?

The right man for the job- Corporal Jones out of Dad's Army.

I thought we'd heard the last from Drearyhouse. Alas, not.

Simon

Simon Forrester

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

In article <338DE9...@mds.qmw.ac.uk>, Simon Matthews
<s.j.ma...@mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?

Simon Matthews

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Simon Forrester wrote:

> He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?

OH NO! You have the "bertie blunt" virus, which causes all occurences of
the words "tedious character" to be replaced by "c**t".

Simon. yes! another one!

Paul A. Hodgson

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

On 28 May 1997 20:38:42 GMT, dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups, fanzines,
>disczines etc.
>
>The aim is to keep the CPC alive as long as possible by exchanging views,
>software, news and help if needed.
>

>WACCI has set up an officer to oversee this and I have sent him faq to get
>him going. If you know of any groups etc., that are not covered by faq
>then please let me know so that I might pass the information over.
>

>BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
>wanted.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Paul

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>WACCI Treasurer and Distributions
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ok first things first, I am relatively new to the scene and haven't
even the fogiest about all this WACCI or BTL group thing.

But....

Keeping the CPC alive is a good idea it was a good machine and a lot
of people have fond memories of this era.

You say 'lets keep it alive as long as possible' but then you say 'Oh
and your not allowed to play'. Hmm to me this seems to be stuping to
the horrible childishness of the 80's when everyones machine was
better than everyone elses.

The machines were all good and inventive and I for one thought that
for the mostpart we had all grown up since then but excluding a group
of people for whatever reason is not very democratic. If the national
front have the freedom and liberty to say what they want, why
shouldn't BTL also.

Exactly what about BTL has pi$$ed you of so much.

As I say I've never been involved with BTL or WACCI but come on guys
(and gals) lets all grow up a little and have less of the bickering.

Paul A. Hodgson.
pa...@curved-logic.com
| Old machines never die, they just get emulated. |

DwerryPF

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

Kev (are you a bunnyman?) wrote:

<you lot are so far up your own arses>

I'll happily count you out.

Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:

<I thought we'd heard the last from Drearyhouse>

Funny that especially as I'd not heard it before. Yawn.

<He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?>

Takes one to know one.

Rob (bunnyman) Scott wrote:

<Sort of like Dads Army…>

Don't you mean Grandad's Army?

Paul Hodgson said:

<I've never been involved with BTL or WACCI…grow up a little and have less of the bickering>

I agree but try and tell RATB. You will have noticed that every time I post something to the group RATB creep out of their shell and pelt me with abuse. If you are willing I'll happily send you the June edition of the magazine so you can judge for yourself. Perhaps Richard will send you BTL3 so that you might compare. I'm happy that WACCI can stand the test - what about you Richard?

Andrew Cadley wrote:

<I can't really see why there's any need for so much spite in the CPC world>

Thanks Andrew, would you like to join in and compare WACCI with BTL?

Richard (The bunny) Fairhurst wrote:

<WACCI. What A Completely Crap Institution.>

Since you have just re-subscribed to WACCI does this mean you want your money back Richard?

Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:

<I have to ask you - is anyone here still actually making money - a living - out of the CPC.>

No.

- - - - - - - - -

Having said I didn't want BTL to respond I knew they couldn't resist a chance to knock WACCI and me. Well done lads - you don't let me down ever.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WACCI rules okay

Richard Fairhurst

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote:

> You must have been listening to RATB too much, WACCI welcomes all views

Tell that to Roy Everett.

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/
en amzer gaer e zei en dro - brein e toud en traou - gwir e, gwir e...

Rob Scott

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

DwerryPF <sad...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970529201...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

> Kev (are you a bunnyman?) wrote:
>
> <you lot are so far up your own arses>
>
> I'll happily count you out.

Thank God for that Kev Fancy that, being fucked out of the scene by WACCI -
hahahahah!

> Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:
>
> <I thought we'd heard the last from Drearyhouse>
>
> Funny that especially as I'd not heard it before. Yawn.

Wonder why you keep hearing it then. Ever get the feeling someones trying
to tell ya something...

> <He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?>
>
> Takes one to know one.

Funny that, especially as I've not heard it before....

> Rob (bunnyman) Scott wrote:
>
> <Sort of like Dads Army…>
>
> Don't you mean Grandad's Army?

Not so much an army as a useless rabble - Hence DADS ARMY Duhhhh!

> Paul Hodgson said:
>
> <I've never been involved with BTL or WACCI…grow up a little and have
less of the bickering>

> Andrew Cadley wrote:
>
> <I can't really see why there's any need for so much spite in the CPC
world>

> Thanks Andrew, would you like to join in and compare WACCI with BTL?

Best not..If he reads an issue he'll probably fall asleep

> Richard (The bunny) Fairhurst wrote:
>
> <WACCI. What A Completely Crap Institution.>
>
> Since you have just re-subscribed to WACCI does this mean you want your
money back Richard?

Yes Please...

> Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:
>
> <I have to ask you - is anyone here still actually making money - a
living - out of the CPC.>

> No.

But only because the "money" kept disappearing....Ooops.

> Having said I didn't want BTL to respond I knew they couldn't resist a
chance to knock WACCI and me. Well done lads - you don't > let me down
ever.

The only place we'd ever let you down Paul is over a large cliff....

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> WACCI rules okay
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WACCI has never "ruled". Only in the the dark recesses of a few deeply sad
minds.....

Rob

Richard Fairhurst

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote:

> > [Hairy:] He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?

> Takes one to know one.

followed shortly afterwards by...

> > [Paul H:] grow up a little and have less of the bickering
> I agree

Cough splutter. To continue the quote -

> ...but try and tell RATB. You will have noticed that every time I post

> something to the group RATB creep out of their shell and pelt me with
> abuse.

In other words, "Na na na, he started it." Your two most recent threads
have been: a patronising attempt to censor a group which has existed in
its present form for over two years, and a plea "from without" for
co-operation with WACCI, complete with "abuse" towards the writers of
BTL. Hello pot (calm down, Simon M), hello kettle, aren't you black
today?

> If you are willing I'll happily send you the June edition of the magazine
> so you can judge for yourself.

Given that you seem to want a personal argument (cf repeated references
to "RATB" rather than BTL, STS or the like), let's try an equal playing
field. Post along the April (ed. Richard Fairhurst) and May (ed. Paul
Dwerryhouse) issues of WACCI.

> Perhaps Richard will send you BTL3 so that you might compare. I'm happy
> that WACCI can stand the test - what about you Richard?

Yup. Plenty of our articles are on our web site: and anyone who wants
can download BTL 3 as .DSK images, completely free of charge. For those
without 'net access, I will send a copy to anyone who posts an SAE and
3" or 3.5" disc to Richard Fairhurst, Tea Cottage, Bottom Lane,
Bisbrooke, Rutland LE15 9EJ.

> Since you have just re-subscribed to WACCI does this mean you want your
> money back Richard?

No, cheers. Believe it or not, m'dear, I don't dislike WACCI per se -
which explains why I edited its letters pages for going on a year. It
has many splendid and knowledgeable contributors: Philip diRichleau,
Angela Cook, Matthew Phillips, Ray Powell, Peter Rogerson, the Bowleys,
and so on.
However, the smug, technically inept, and self-centred attitude
perpetrated by such as yourself has done irreparable harm to the CPC.
The insular mentality initially shaped by WACCI's frequent "we're better
than AA" comments has latterly been reflected in an unwillingness to
purchase any software from organisations deemed to exist outside the
world of WACCI.
For an example, take the best disc system ever developed for the CPC -
ParaDOS. When it was being sold by Quantum, few WACCI members picked up
on it. But when ComSoft started marketing it, they swooped on the
program. (And don't give me any bullshit about Quantum being less honest
than ComSoft - there's more to it than you might think.)

You reckon this is out of your control? Explain the "members' discounts"
which are currently making it even more difficult for CPC software
houses to struggle on - cf the interview with Brian in a recent WACCI.
Explain why you, personally, libelled at least one programmer by
claiming that they infringed copyright when they did nothing of the sort
- and you didn't even contact them (ok, me (-: ) to ask their side of
the story.
Sure, you can claim that WACCI is run for the benefit of its members,
not for that of the CPC - even though, in the long term, the two are
indistinguishable. In that case, tell me what happened to the aim
(expressed by Clive Bellaby) of refunding those subscriptions lost in
the Great Crash of issue 49. Tell me why one member, Roy Everett, was
arbitrarily expelled for reasons which were never made clear to either
himself or the wider membership. While you're at it, you can recount the
background to said expulsion: namely, that you had dredged up a matter
which had (thankfully) fallen quiet via some particularly spiteful
comments in your "Blast From The Past" article. The one article in the
past few issues, of course, which the editor didn't get to see before
publication. Coincidence?

And there are plenty of questions about WACCI's internal structure which
don't exactly inspire confidence. Explain why, for example, your last
editor seemed blissfully unaware of the "WACCI Charter" which you claim
forms the foundations of the post-OMG club. Explain why Clive Bellaby
was removed (by yourself) - the membership have never been told. Explain
why the assets known to be possessed by Steve Williams were not realised
until almost all their market value had been lost.
I shouldn't complain. You expelled Roy Everett for far less than I got
away with in Fair Comment. But then again, I rather suspect you believed
you could mess Roy around more easily - in matters which were, after
all, entirely personal.

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/

exhuming McCarthy

Kev Thacker

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

On 29 May 1997 20:18:33 GMT, dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

>Kev (are you a bunnyman?) wrote:

If that means am I part of BTL? Nope. I am independant.

><you lot are so far up your own arses>

But hey, I can take more verbal abuse than the next man.

I've always thought that you lot at Wacci don't really know what is
going on, and don't see the real whole picture. Hence my statement.

Kev

Simon Forrester

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <19970529201...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) worthlessly spouted:

> Having said I didn't want BTL to respond I knew they couldn't resist a
chance to knock WACCI and me. Well done lads - you don't let me down ever.

So I can pick out random groups of society, abuse them, and when they get
upset about the fact, I can simply walk away with a superior feeling? You
idiot.

Simon Forrester

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <1997053000...@p5.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

> DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > [Hairy:] He does come across as, well, a bit of a cunt, doesn't he?
> > Takes one to know one.

Yeah? Well my dad's bigger than your dad!
(that's sarcasm, BTW, pointed out for DwerryPF's sake)

> The insular mentality initially shaped by WACCI's frequent "we're better

> than AA" comments...

Sorry, Richard - must stop you there. I agree with what you say, but I
must just interrupt. Abusively (I, you see, don't have to care), aimed at
WACCI, not our own balanced, even-minded Charley.

So which freak was responsible for them, then? Did you ever see a "wahaay,
we're better than WACCI" comment in AA? The answer, of course, is "no". It
didn't happen. Why? Maybe we didn't feel quite that insecure. Maybe we
didn't feel the need to get worthlessly pissy. Oh, I can't even be
bothered to argue this.

Matt Merriman

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <01bc6baa$b4d98d60$04b8de8b@w9622136>,

"Andrew Cadley" <A.P.C...@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19970528203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

> > Hi all,
> >
> > WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups,
> fanzines,
> > disczines etc.
>
> > BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
> > wanted.
>
> <rant mode>
>
> Well keep my name out of it then, I *am* actively developing for the CPC,
> or at least will be v. soon, but I don't want to be associated with
> anything that doesn't support freedom of speech.
>
> </rant mode>
>
> Andy

Quite right! I haven't subscribed to WACCI for a while and it's attitudes
like this that are making me think twice before renewing my subscription.
We all want the CPC "scene" to pull together but if people start
discriminating against one group or another then we won't get anywhere.

Matt Merriman (matt.m...@pemail.net
merr...@hotmail.com)

Andrew Cadley

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote in article
<sforrester-30...@172.18.62.107>...

> So which freak was responsible for them, then? Did you ever see a
"wahaay,
> we're better than WACCI" comment in AA? The answer, of course, is "no".
It
> didn't happen. Why? Maybe we didn't feel quite that insecure. Maybe we
> didn't feel the need to get worthlessly pissy. Oh, I can't even be
> bothered to argue this.

I have to agree, AA tended to show WACCI in quite a good light. Possibly
less than they deserved having heard all these comments and poked around
there web site etc.

Andy

Simon Forrester

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

> Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:
>
> <I thought we'd heard the last from Drearyhouse>
>
> Funny that especially as I'd not heard it before. Yawn.

No, I definitely didn't say that. I called you a cunt. I didn't call you
Drearyhouse. I wouldn't advise you to misquote me again.

Simon Forrester

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <01bc6ce3$c49e0e80$04b8de8b@w9622136>, "Andrew Cadley"
<A.P.C...@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Exactly - we were supportive and encouraging to others on a scene we knew
needed all the support it could get. We were adult about the competition.
Strikes me a few other people could use this philosophy.

Andrew Cadley

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Rob Scott <robs...@tecres.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bc6c7e$3059c580$57fc49c2@robs-pc>...

> > Andrew Cadley wrote:
> >
> > <I can't really see why there's any need for so much spite in the CPC
> world>
> >
> > Thanks Andrew, would you like to join in and compare WACCI with BTL?
>
> Best not..If he reads an issue he'll probably fall asleep

But I've never fallen asleep reading BTL. ;-)

Andy

Kev Thacker

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

On 29 May 1997 22:16:51 GMT, "Rob Scott" <robs...@tecres.co.uk>
wrote:

>> Kev (are you a bunnyman?) wrote:

>> I'll happily count you out.
>
>Thank God for that Kev Fancy that, being fucked out of the scene by WACCI -
>hahahahah!

I am so unhappy, I'm going to cry. (sarcasm).

Kev

Simon Matthews

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

For no apparent reason, the supratentorially deficient DwerryPF wrote:

> Simon Forrester (bunnyman) wrote:
> <I thought we'd heard the last from Drearyhouse>
> Funny that especially as I'd not heard it before. Yawn.

Actually, I said this. My name is not Forrester. And there's no smoke
without fire....

> Paul Hodgson said:
> [snip]
> ...grow up a little and have less of the bickering>
> I agree but try and tell RATB. You will have noticed that every time I > post something to the group RATB creep out of their shell and pelt me > with abuse.

Just what is this RATB business? The group is called BTL. Anyway,
since myself, Hairfirst, Hangman etc. have been reading and or posting
to this newsgroup for 18months - 2yrs, often several times a week how
can we be accused of "creeping out of our shell". There is only one
newcomer who lurks in the background, posting crap messages, then
disappearing for a few days/weeks. You.

> Having said I didn't want BTL to respond I knew they couldn't resist a >chance to knock WACCI and me. Well done lads - you don't let me down >ever.

What, those well known BTL personalities mssrs Hodgson, Thacker,
Merriman and Cadley??!?!? Har har har.

In all seriousness, folks, this thread is getting very boring. I
suggest that from now on, people either ignore this twit or send stuff
privately.

Viva CPC+ Jet Set Willy!

Ratz.

Kev Thacker

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

On Fri, 30 May 1997 14:23:37 -0700, Simon Matthews
<s.j.ma...@mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

>Viva CPC+ Jet Set Willy!

I agree....

Can we say what we want in the CPC+ version of Jet Set Willy?

I go for totally useless but very nice rastered backgrounds,
graduating from blue to purple or something like that.

Absolutely excellent DMA Sounds including samples etc....

A level editor... go on... go on.... a sprite editor......

How about some very tasty "parallax" scrolling in the background?

Tasty!

Kev

Richard Fairhurst

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

DwerryPF <dwer...@aol.com> wrote:

> [...]

> I agree but try and tell RATB. You will have noticed that every time I
> post something to the group RATB creep out of their shell and pelt me
> with abuse.

What do you mean by "creep out of their shell"? The people you describe
as "bunnymen" are regular contributors, participating in much debate
(all right, who said "mass"?) and frequently answering technical
questions.

By contrast, the only time we see those little Dwerryhouse (black) eyes
pop out from under their shell is when you feel like being rude to us or
garnering some publicity for WACCI.

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/

That's the bunny!

DwerryPF

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Fuck off one and all.

Paul

Brian Watson

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <338f0133...@reader-beta.news.pipex.net>
ktha...@krisalis.co.uk "Kev Thacker" writes:

> On Fri, 30 May 1997 14:23:37 -0700, Simon Matthews
> <s.j.ma...@mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> >Viva CPC+ Jet Set Willy!
> I agree....
>
> Can we say what we want in the CPC+ version of Jet Set Willy?

I suppose a spell-checker's out of the question?
--
Brian Watson

Andrew Cadley

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Brian Watson <Br...@spheroid.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<864982...@spheroid.demon.co.uk>...

> In article <338f0133...@reader-beta.news.pipex.net>
> ktha...@krisalis.co.uk "Kev Thacker" writes:
>
> > On Fri, 30 May 1997 14:23:37 -0700, Simon Matthews
> > <s.j.ma...@mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
> >

> > >Viva CPC+ Jet Set Willy!
> > I agree....
> >
> > Can we say what we want in the CPC+ version of Jet Set Willy?

Well suggestions are always welcome in my mailbox (although I won't be able
to respond after the end of next week when I'm away from the Uni)

What I'll probably do is put together the basic engine, allow people to
make comments etc, then keep it under pretty constant
development/improvement till I can't do any more.

I'll welcome stuff like room designs and people offering to improve any
sprites and stuff. Also, once it's reached a fairly constant level I'll
probably do some kind of editor or release technical details to let someone
else give it a go.

I can't say how many extra rooms there will be though, due to the
compressed nature that they'll be stored in but names which poke fun at
the CPC scene would be especially good.

As you may have noticed in another thread the idea of 512K carts interested
me, I may expand it to use these features of the emulator, though that'll
be much later if I do.

Erm, methinks I've started waffling again and should probably get back to
Fourier revision. :-(

Andy

Brian Watson

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

In article <33902C...@virgin.net>
angela...@virgin.net "angela.arthur" writes:

> DwerryPF wrote:
> >
> > Fuck off one and all.
> >
> > Paul
>

> What about the possible children reading this news group?
>
> Angela

Knock it off, Ange! Wildey and I are making them as fast as we can.
--
Brian Watson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Protext Robot Software Pipeline Parados 8BIT IEBA WACCI Publicity ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

angela.arthur

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

Andrew Cadley

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

Kev Thacker <ktha...@krisalis.co.uk> wrote in article
<338f0133...@reader-beta.news.pipex.net>...

> On Fri, 30 May 1997 14:23:37 -0700, Simon Matthews
> <s.j.ma...@mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> >Viva CPC+ Jet Set Willy!
> I agree....
>
> Can we say what we want in the CPC+ version of Jet Set Willy?
>

> I go for totally useless but very nice rastered backgrounds,
> graduating from blue to purple or something like that.

I was hoping to be able to do something like that. Probably even allowing
different palettes for different screens so that you could have sky effects
and stuff.

> Absolutely excellent DMA Sounds including samples etc....

Another I hope so, Richard Fairhurst has offered to do some.

> A level editor... go on... go on.... a sprite editor......

Things I'd like to do once it's up and running.

> How about some very tasty "parallax" scrolling in the background?
>
> Tasty!

What exactly would be scrolling? I dunno if I'm up to all these effects but
who knows eh?

Andy

Simon Forrester

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

In article <19970530195...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:

> Fuck off one and all.

In the "getting it together" sense, I take it?

Sheesh.

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

Andrew Cadley <A.P.C...@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> > How about some very tasty "parallax" scrolling in the background?
> > Tasty!
> What exactly would be scrolling? I dunno if I'm up to all these effects but
> who knows eh?

For a look at super-duper parallax effects, try Overflow's Shadow Of The
Beast demo preview (probably on ibp, not sure). Runs on a normal CPC.

I remember everyone making great play of the "parallax" in Prehistorik
II. All it amounted to was an ink change at each one of the 300Hz
interrupts. :-) (And some foreground hardware sprites if you had a Plus.
Aha! There's another one for the "Plus enhanced" list.)

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/

Tell me some stories...don't live in the future...you speak in pictures

Andrew Cadley

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Richard Fairhurst <ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma> wrote in article
<199706011...@p61.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>...

> Andrew Cadley <A.P.C...@uea.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > > How about some very tasty "parallax" scrolling in the background?
> > > Tasty!
> > What exactly would be scrolling? I dunno if I'm up to all these effects
but
> > who knows eh?
>
> For a look at super-duper parallax effects, try Overflow's Shadow Of The
> Beast demo preview (probably on ibp, not sure). Runs on a normal CPC.

Yeah, I know what parallax scrolling is, I just couldn't figure out what
would scroll in JSW, given it's flip screen nature.

BTW, Shadow of the Beast is on NVG.

> I remember everyone making great play of the "parallax" in Prehistorik
> II. All it amounted to was an ink change at each one of the 300Hz
> interrupts. :-) (And some foreground hardware sprites if you had a Plus.
> Aha! There's another one for the "Plus enhanced" list.)

Ah! So that's the parallax effect everyone was going on about. I never
really noticed it before and wondered if I was just being stupid.

Andy

Simon Matthews

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

The wondrous angela.arthur stood tall and wrote:

> DwerryPF wrote:
> >
> > Fuck off one and all.
> >

> > Paul
>
> What about the possible children reading this news group?
>
> Angela

Yes. What about poor Jenny Dwewwyhouse. She might read rude words like
"f**k", "c**t", "b*l***s", "****", and "W*ldey's h*ng like a d*nkey".

Ratz.

Simon Matthews

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Brian Watson wrote:

> Knock it off, Ange! Wildey and I are making them as fast as we can.

Sir, we have detected an aroma of bullsh*t! That is a biological
impossibility - you and Mr Wildey cannot possibly be making babies
together!

Dr Ratz, gynaecologist to the rich and famous.

Brian Watson

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

--
Brian Watson

Brian Watson

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

In article <5mvd9f$j...@mimas.brunel.ac.uk>
cs9...@brunel.ac.uk "Richard Wildey" writes:

> >> What about the possible children reading this news group?
> >>
> >> Angela
> >>

> >Knock it off, Ange! Wildey and I are making them as fast as we can.
>

> Hang about, this is all news to me!
>
> Richard.

Curses! My plot is foiled!

Ahem! Good Morning, Richard. Nice weather we're having (he said, swiftly
changing the subject)
--
Brian Watson

Richard Wildey

Jun 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/2/97

Simon Matthews

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> I remember everyone making great play of the "parallax" in Prehistorik
> II. All it amounted to was an ink change at each one of the 300Hz
> interrupts. :-) (And some foreground hardware sprites if you had a Plus.
> Aha! There's another one for the "Plus enhanced" list.)

IIRC, when Shadow of the Beast was first out on the Amiga (arrrrrgh,
amigaaar demmoooos...) everyone reckoned that the 13-level parallax
scrolling was brilliant. About 5 of those levels were created by big
sprites etc. "scrolling" in front of your character. Well hard when you
consider the Amiga had a blitter chip 'n all. <sarcasm>

What JSW+ really really wants, is a twiffic intro bit if you ask me....

Ratz.

angela.arthur

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

I think the point of it is that Brian is saying you _don't_ hang about...

--
Angela Cook
"Mi Vida Loca"

EMMANUEL ROUSSIN

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

RF> For a look at super-duper parallax effects, try Overflow's Shadow Of The
RF> Beast demo preview (probably on ibp, not sure). Runs on a normal CPC.

I looked at the list, I don't seem to have it, if someone can send it to
me, thanks.

Simon Forrester

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <3394AF...@nospam.mds.qmw.ac.uk>, Simon Matthews
<s.j.ma...@nospam.mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

> What JSW+ really really wants, is a twiffic intro bit if you ask me....

What - to compete with Zap'T'Balls? Bog off. What yer need is the original
intro screen, naff and all, with that dreadful scrolly and beep tune, that
suddenly turns around with a few scrolly effects, a much better tune and
NO BLOODY RASTERS.

Andrew Cadley

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote in article

<sforrester-04...@172.18.62.107>...

> In article <3394AF...@nospam.mds.qmw.ac.uk>, Simon Matthews
> <s.j.ma...@nospam.mds.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

> What - to compete with Zap'T'Balls? Bog off. What yer need is the
original
> intro screen, naff and all, with that dreadful scrolly and beep tune,
that
> suddenly turns around with a few scrolly effects, a much better tune and
> NO BLOODY RASTERS.

Hmm, thanks Simon. That's about the first suggestion I've felt about 100%
positive I could pull off. :)

Andy

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <19970530195...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

> dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:
>
> > Fuck off one and all.
>

> In the "getting it together" sense, I take it?
>
> Sheesh.

For those with an interest in such things... I've just been chucked out
of WACCI. I think. My cheque was returned by Paul Dwerryhouse, but no
explanation was included. Presumably only WACCI officers are allowed to
bring the club into disrepute on the Internet. :-)

One month WACCI's closing due to falling membership, the next they're
turning subscriptions away...

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/

The time to rise has been engaged

angela.arthur

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <19970530195...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
> > dwer...@aol.com (DwerryPF) wrote:
> >
> > > Fuck off one and all.
> >
> > In the "getting it together" sense, I take it?
> >
> > Sheesh.
>
> For those with an interest in such things... I've just been chucked out
> of WACCI. I think. My cheque was returned by Paul Dwerryhouse, but no
> explanation was included. Presumably only WACCI officers are allowed to
> bring the club into disrepute on the Internet. :-)
>
> One month WACCI's closing due to falling membership, the next they're
> turning subscriptions away...

Paul was completely independant of sending back Richard's subscription and this has not had the backing of
"WACCI" in any way - the first we heard about it was Tuesday, when the cheque also arrived with Richard.
--
Angela Cook
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Simon Forrester

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <33964A...@virgin.net>, "angela.arthur"
<angela...@virgin.net> wrote:

Strikes me that he's a bit of a sore loser. I shall strike him from the
SFNet mailing list he attempted to subscribe to.

Tom Chisholm

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

O.K - I give up. What have British Telecom Laboratories got to do with
the CPC?

Tom

--
Tom Chisholm
These are my personal views - not those of my employer

Matthew Phillips

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Simon Forrester wrote:

> > The insular mentality initially shaped by WACCI's frequent "we're better
> > than AA" comments...
>
> So which freak was responsible for them, then? Did you ever see a "wahaay,
> we're better than WACCI" comment in AA? The answer, of course, is "no". It
> didn't happen. Why? Maybe we didn't feel quite that insecure. Maybe we
> didn't feel the need to get worthlessly pissy. Oh, I can't even be
> bothered to argue this.

Well, AA was a professionally produced publication, so you would hardly
expect them to point out that they were better than an amateur photocopied
magazine. I believe that in the Steve Williams era AA insisted on having
the word "Fanzine" rather than "Magazine" in WACCI's ads in AA, so perhaps
even then they were getting a bit touchy on the subject.

Matthew Phillips
WACCI on WWW - http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri0264/wowww.html
The UK's only monthly CPC magazine
The UK's biggest CPC user club

Matthew Phillips

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

On 28 May 1997, DwerryPF wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups, fanzines,
> disczines etc.
>
> The aim is to keep the CPC alive as long as possible by exchanging views,
> software, news and help if needed.
>
> BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
> wanted.

So this means that WACCI thinks that keeping the CPC alive involves
alienating a superb bunch of programmers?! Speak for yourself Paul, but
not for WACCI.

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Tom Chisholm <chis...@lls.leica.co.uk> wrote:

> O.K - I give up. What have British Telecom Laboratories got to do with
> the CPC?

:-)

Find out at the website below...

The real question, though, is what does BTID have to do with BTL?

--
Richard Fairhurst http://www.systemed.u-net.com/

A million years on and still in trouble:
put down your fists and enter with a shovel

Brian Watson

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.970604...@ermine.ox.ac.uk>
chri...@ermine.ox.ac.uk "Matthew Phillips" writes:

> On 28 May 1997, DwerryPF wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > WACCI would like to make contact with all other CPC user groups, fanzines,
> > disczines etc.
> >
> > The aim is to keep the CPC alive as long as possible by exchanging views,
> > software, news and help if needed.
> >
> > BTL, that AC/DC group, need not respond, as they are definitely not
> > wanted.
>
> So this means that WACCI thinks that keeping the CPC alive involves
> alienating a superb bunch of programmers?! Speak for yourself Paul, but
> not for WACCI.

He did. I have just received an e-mail from him confirming his resignation
from WACCI. And before anyone jumps to further conclusions, the books and
all assets are on their way to another member of the committee (NOT me!)

Despite, I am sure, a lot of strong feelings in many areas, I would hope
there could now be an end to this string. What started out as a bit of
"having a go" turned into World War Three.

Paul did a hell of a lot for WACCI for many years and I for one appreciate
that.

Neither the current Chairman nor Secretary of WACCI have the software (or
hardware, I think) to access this newsgroup so it looks like my arse on the
line from here on.
--
Brian Watson
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Brian Watson

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

> On Fri, 30 May 1997, Simon Forrester wrote:
>
> > > The insular mentality initially shaped by WACCI's frequent "we're better
> > > than AA" comments...
> >
> > So which freak was responsible for them, then? Did you ever see a "wahaay,
> > we're better than WACCI" comment in AA? The answer, of course, is "no". It
> > didn't happen. Why? Maybe we didn't feel quite that insecure. Maybe we
> > didn't feel the need to get worthlessly pissy. Oh, I can't even be
> > bothered to argue this.
>
> Well, AA was a professionally produced publication, so you would hardly
> expect them to point out that they were better than an amateur photocopied
> magazine. I believe that in the Steve Williams era AA insisted on having
> the word "Fanzine" rather than "Magazine" in WACCI's ads in AA, so perhaps
> even then they were getting a bit touchy on the subject.

As editor of a half-baked photocopied cross-format magazine, I get (or GOT
is actually nearer the truth) a succession of dreadful endeavours worse than
my own, all claiming to be the Great Leap Forward for this or that computer.

Currently the best of the bunch is "PCW Today", which has much more than a
passing resemblance to the Future family of 8-bit magazines.

This is not done as a spoof, it is the editor's attempt to follow a style
which was professional and worked as long as the markets were there. He
had his share of detractors in the early days due to the apparent lack of
a spelling checker (people could think I've got an obsession about that)
on any inclination to proof-read his own copy for grammer or sense, but
he's getting the act together now.

There is not, in my opinion, another CPC or PCW magazine that comes close,
although the latest WACCI is back to very good form under its new editorial
team. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

angela.arthur

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Brian Watson wrote:

> > So this means that WACCI thinks that keeping the CPC alive involves
> > alienating a superb bunch of programmers?! Speak for yourself Paul, but
> > not for WACCI.
>
> He did. I have just received an e-mail from him confirming his resignation
> from WACCI. And before anyone jumps to further conclusions, the books and
> all assets are on their way to another member of the committee (NOT me!)
>
> Despite, I am sure, a lot of strong feelings in many areas, I would hope
> there could now be an end to this string. What started out as a bit of
> "having a go" turned into World War Three.
>
> Paul did a hell of a lot for WACCI for many years and I for one appreciate
> that.
>
> Neither the current Chairman nor Secretary of WACCI have the software (or
> hardware, I think) to access this newsgroup so it looks like my arse on the
> line from here on.
> --
> Brian Watson
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> ::: WACCI PUBLICITY OFFICER AND NEW WHIPPING BOY :::
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

And what a lovely arse it is too...

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Matthew Phillips <chri...@ermine.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> I believe that in the Steve Williams era AA insisted on having
> the word "Fanzine" rather than "Magazine" in WACCI's ads in AA, so perhaps
> even then they were getting a bit touchy on the subject.

I suspect (= I am making this up) that was at the instigation of the
advertising manager. "Media sales professionals", as they like to call
themselves, are the lowest of the low and will be the first against the
wall when the revolution comes.

I have fond memories of an advertising manager who was convinced that
Keyboard Review could triple its sales overnight simply by renaming
itself "Keyboard Reviews". He now sells home security systems to
defenceless old ladies.

Richard Bannister

Jun 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/15/97

In article <sforrester-04...@172.18.62.107>,
sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>What - to compete with Zap'T'Balls?

Does anyone have the .DSK image of the _full_ Zap'T'Balls, not that cheapo
hack that is floating around on ftp.nvg.unit.no?

I loved Zap'T'Balls so much I did a cheap MacOS conversion of a pang style
game (having never actually seen more than screenshots of ZTB when I
actually owned a CPC...)

Regards,
Richard

Marcus Durham

Jun 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/15/97

Information... in article <AFC9C675...@ts18-13.dublin.indigo.ie>,
I am informed that Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie> placed the
following data:
[snip]

>I loved Zap'T'Balls so much I did a cheap MacOS conversion of a pang style
>game (having never actually seen more than screenshots of ZTB when I
>actually owned a CPC...)

Zap'T'Balls is a duff game (IMO). It's just a poor Pang rip-off. Now if
somebody could get Pang running on the emulator then that would be
interesting.

--
Marcus E. Durham
http://www.zenn.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Simon Forrester

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

In article <bWnd5PAt...@zenn.demon.co.uk>, Marcus Durham
<Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Zap'T'Balls is a duff game (IMO). It's just a poor Pang rip-off. Now if
> somebody could get Pang running on the emulator then that would be
> interesting.

He's right - Pang played much better than ZTB, it just didn't have all the
pointless, flickery effects and so just about everyone in Europe thought
it was rubbish.

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie> wrote:

> Does anyone have the .DSK image of the _full_ Zap'T'Balls, not that cheapo
> hack that is floating around on ftp.nvg.unit.no?

Whose crack is it - Chany's? Or just the 30-level or 5-level demo?

There's full details in BTL 2 (and on the BTL web site - URL below) of
how to convert your copy of Zap't'Balls into a fully cracked version,
courtesy of famed British hacker Marjorie Beckett.

Some parts of Zap't'Balls were better than CPC Plus Pang - notably the
keyboard control, which was incredibly fiddly on the cartridge game. But
its overall presentation and design were way too tatty (despite the
flashy effects): most notably, there were a couple of levels which you
couldn't complete in single-player mode, but the bugged keypress routine
didn't let Plus owners play with two players.

The German "szene"'s whingeing about piracy might also have carried more
weight if ZTB's sprites weren't ripped off from Rainbow Islands. :-)

Richard Bannister

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

In article <bWnd5PAt...@zenn.demon.co.uk>,
Marcus Durham <Mar...@zenn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Zap'T'Balls is a duff game (IMO). It's just a poor Pang rip-off. Now if
>somebody could get Pang running on the emulator then that would be
>interesting.

Well, I love it. A (poor) conversion for MacOS is at
http://internetter.com/titan/zaptballs/.

Regards,
Richard

Tim

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>The German "szene"'s whingeing about piracy might also have carried more
>weight if ZTB's sprites weren't ripped off from Rainbow Islands. :-)

And Rick Dangerous 2 (a game which (alas!) doesn't work properly in
VESA mode on the CPC emulator - damn!).

Did Zap T' Beng ever make an appearance? :)

Tim (tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk)
Remove the '_nospam' from address for reply
"We know the difference between fantasy
and reality. We just don't care."
Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:
WWW: http://www.amorph.demon.co.uk/scion/
IRC: irc.unreal.org - #TombRaider

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Tim <*tim*@*amorph.demon.co.uk*> wrote:

> Did Zap T' Beng ever make an appearance? :)

Sadly not - Richard Wilson persuaded us to use Zack for the coding, then
promptly absconded back to Oz with Zack unfinished. Probably penance for
CRTC (U lamer!!!!!!!!?!!?!?!) and Tim BLACKBOND (a LIAR) pirating eight
thousand copies of ZTB an hour. Right. How we were supposed to be
sending out all these pirate games when no-one had heard from Robot or
AI for months I don't know...

Still got the sprites somewhere if I can figure out some way of using
them. BTL 4 intro, perhaps?

Richard Bannister

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

In article <199706161...@p45.ascend3.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>Whose crack is it - Chany's? Or just the 30-level or 5-level demo?

I've absolutely no idea - but the whole thing has just one
background...it's not the 5-level demo AFAIK anyway...

Tim

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>Sadly not - Richard Wilson persuaded us to use Zack for the coding, then
>promptly absconded back to Oz with Zack unfinished. Probably penance for
>CRTC (U lamer!!!!!!!!?!!?!?!) and Tim BLACKBOND (a LIAR) pirating eight
>thousand copies of ZTB an hour. Right. How we were supposed to be
>sending out all these pirate games when no-one had heard from Robot or
>AI for months I don't know...
>
>Still got the sprites somewhere if I can figure out some way of using
>them. BTL 4 intro, perhaps?

Eating strawberries and lol. You should *see* the mess my monitor is
in... :)

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie.REMOVE-TO-REPLY> wrote:

> [ZTB]

> I've absolutely no idea - but the whole thing has just one
> background...it's not the 5-level demo AFAIK anyway...

If it has a CPC Amstrad International logo on the cover screen, it's
probably the 30-level "sort of demo, and it's sort of PD, but you can't
copy it, and if you don't understand this your [sic] a lamer". Or
something. Not the full game, anyway.

Richard Bannister

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

In article <199706201...@p12.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>If it has a CPC Amstrad International logo on the cover screen, it's
>probably the 30-level "sort of demo, and it's sort of PD, but you can't
>copy it, and if you don't understand this your [sic] a lamer". Or
>something. Not the full game, anyway.

Yep, that's it I guess. It's less than one side of a .DSK anyway and I
remember the full game as being more than that...

Do you know where I could get hold of the full game in .DSK format then?

Regards,
Richard

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie.REMOVE-TO-REPLY> wrote:

> Yep, that's it I guess. It's less than one side of a .DSK anyway and I
> remember the full game as being more than that...

Double-sided, I think.

> Do you know where I could get hold of the full game in .DSK format then?

I'm afraid I've not got a copy. Anyone out there?

Richard Bannister

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

In article <199706231...@p42.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>> Yep, that's it I guess. It's less than one side of a .DSK anyway and I
>> remember the full game as being more than that...
>
>Double-sided, I think.

That would be right, if AA reviews are/were anything to go by :) However I
still remember that wonderful Streetfighter II Preview where you told us
all that info about the programming team being based in France, etc - only
to tell us the next issue that the release was a clerical error and was
never going to happen...

>> Do you know where I could get hold of the full game in .DSK format then?
>I'm afraid I've not got a copy. Anyone out there?

Please please puhleaze...?

Regards,
Richard

Simon Forrester

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In article <AFD48E07...@ts25-58.dublin.indigo.ie>,
ti...@indigo.ie.REMOVE-TO-REPLY (Richard Bannister) wrote:

> That would be right, if AA reviews are/were anything to go by :) However I
> still remember that wonderful Streetfighter II Preview where you told us
> all that info about the programming team being based in France, etc - only
> to tell us the next issue that the release was a clerical error and was
> never going to happen...

Yup - we went on the information we were given - we got the same change in
story as you lot did, from USG. I even offered to finish the project for
them, when told that it was half completed, so adamant were we that we
should have SF2 for the CPC. And then we were told, a month later, that it
was all an error anyway. Still - made for some good 'next month' boxes.

Quick poll - what does this Š look like on your machine?

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote:

> Yup - we went on the information we were given - we got the same change in
> story as you lot did, from USG. I even offered to finish the project for
> them

You too?

So did I. And Richard Wilson (who would doubtless have used a
page-aligned look-up table).

The chap I spoke to at USG said that it was finished but not completed,
if you see what I mean - that it needed a _lot_ of bug fixes. I wonder
what the chances of getting the source out of them now are...? :-)

> Quick poll - what does this look like on your machine?

Like an ellipsis. But that's 'cause I'm using a PowerBook. The reason
it's been removed above is because my newsreader won't let me post a
message containing non-ISO Latin characters...

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie.REMOVE-TO-REPLY> wrote:

> >> Do you know where I could get hold of the full game in .DSK format then?
> >I'm afraid I've not got a copy. Anyone out there?
> Please please puhleaze...?

A nice man has located a copy (which'll probably appear in .ZIP format
rather than .DSK), and it should be up on nvg before too long.

Simon Forrester

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In article <199706241...@p35.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

> The chap I spoke to at USG said that it was finished but not completed,
> if you see what I mean - that it needed a _lot_ of bug fixes. I wonder
> what the chances of getting the source out of them now are...? :-)

Zilch - the coding team, apparently, vanished - they went and hid when
they knew they couldn't get the thing working.

Tim Blackbond

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>Zilch - the coding team, apparently, vanished - they went and hid when
>they knew they couldn't get the thing working.

Didn't US Gold become Eidos Interactive?

Tim Blackbond

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>Quick poll - what does this Š look like on your machine?

A little block - But then, that's MS Sans Serif for you.

Richard Bannister

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

In article <sforrester-24...@172.18.62.107>,
sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

a small a with two dots over it.

Regards,
Richard

Richard Bannister

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

In article <199706241...@p35.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

>A nice man has located a copy (which'll probably appear in .ZIP format
>rather than .DSK), and it should be up on nvg before too long.

Cool, .ZIPped DSKs? I want I want I want...! Yes, I run CPC++ under MacOS
too, not really surprising as I helped with the port...

Regards,
Richard

Simon Forrester

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

In article <33b06fa1...@news.demon.co.uk>,
tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Didn't US Gold become Eidos Interactive?

Dunno - got clear away from the computer game industry.

Ivar Fiske

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:
>Quick poll - what does this Š look like on your machine?
It looks like a S with at hat on top.

---
Ivar Fiske

Cliff Lawson

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Simon Forrester wrote in article ...

>Quick poll - what does this Š look like on your machine?

I was going to give a faceitous answer like "a mexican on a bicycle" but
something intriguing just happened. In MS Outlook Express (mail reader in
MS IE 4) the character originally looked like a very bold/solid vertical
bar (hence the mexican - or is it twiggy hiding behind a tree?) but when I
clicked on reply the quoted text above shows it as a capital S wearing a
small hat. Very odd.

Cliff

Simon Forrester

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

In article <5oqv4q$88o$1...@morse.news.easynet.net>, "Cliff Lawson"
<cli...@amstrad.com> wrote:

Yup - that's the '...' on a Mac, y'see. I used it on someone in a mail and
they went completely spack on me. Odd. Well, seeing as everyone seemed to
respond, does anyone feel like looking at my site (for the sake of my hit
statistics)? ;>

Tim Blackbond

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

"Cliff Lawson" <cli...@amstrad.com> wrote:

>I was going to give a faceitous answer like "a mexican on a bicycle" but
>something intriguing just happened. In MS Outlook Express (mail reader in
>MS IE 4) the character originally looked like a very bold/solid vertical
>bar (hence the mexican - or is it twiggy hiding behind a tree?) but when I
>clicked on reply the quoted text above shows it as a capital S wearing a
>small hat. Very odd.

Do you have a different font set for reading and replying to news
messages? Sounds to me like a combination of MS Sans Serif (always a
favourite) and Times New Roman...

Tim (tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk)
Remove the '_nospam' from address for reply

"I had shares in gas, electricty, water, the lot.
Then the government went and sold them all."

Tim Blackbond

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>Yup - that's the '...' on a Mac, y'see. I used it on someone in a mail and
>they went completely spack on me. Odd. Well, seeing as everyone seemed to
>respond, does anyone feel like looking at my site (for the sake of my hit
>statistics)? ;>

Okay. Only if someone will look at mine though...

Tim (tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk)
Remove the '_nospam' from address for reply

"We know the difference between fantasy
and reality. We just don't care."

Tim Blackbond

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>In article <33b06fa1...@news.demon.co.uk>,
>tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Didn't US Gold become Eidos Interactive?
>
>Dunno - got clear away from the computer game industry.

Ah, well there's where we differ, you see - I seemed to unwittingly
sink further into it...

Richard Fairhurst

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Richard Bannister <ti...@indigo.ie.REMOVE-TO-REPLY> wrote:

> Cool, .ZIPped DSKs? I want I want I want...! Yes, I run CPC++ under MacOS
> too, not really surprising as I helped with the port...

I noticed. Lovely splash screen! :-) Any chance of a version which runs
on 16-grey screens? My IIsi's too slow, and my PowerBook 190 doesn't
support 256 colours...

Cliff Lawson

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

Tim Blackbond wrote in article <33b1f217...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Do you have a different font set for reading and replying to news
>messages? Sounds to me like a combination of MS Sans Serif (always a

>favourite) and Times New Roman...

In good Microsoft fashion they give you SUCH control over the fonts in
Outlook Express - Not! Font choices range from Smallest to Largest thru
smaller, larger and Medium. Meanwhile in this reply writer they don't even
give you any choice over fonts.

Cliff

Kev Thacker

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 01:15:22 GMT, tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk (Tim
Blackbond) wrote:

>>Zilch - the coding team, apparently, vanished - they went and hid when
>>they knew they couldn't get the thing working.
>

>Didn't US Gold become Eidos Interactive?

I believe US Gold has become Silicon Dreams. Eidos is a different
company.

Out of interest, do you remember seeing "Software on Demand"? where
you could get some software for 8-bits etc, take it to the counter and
while you waited they created the disc or tape from their master on
the main machine?

Was the company behind this called Eidos?

>Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:

Excellent game. Finished it all. Tomb Raider 2 out later this year.

Kev

Simon Forrester

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

In article <33b90178...@reader-beta.news.pipex.net>,
ktha...@krisalis.co.uk wrote:

> Out of interest, do you remember seeing "Software on Demand"? where
> you could get some software for 8-bits etc, take it to the counter and
> while you waited they created the disc or tape from their master on
> the main machine?
>
> Was the company behind this called Eidos?

EDOS. Bad luck.

Tim Blackbond

Jul 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/2/97

ktha...@krisalis.co.uk (Kev Thacker) wrote:
>>Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:
>Excellent game. Finished it all. Tomb Raider 2 out later this year.

You should see it on 3Dfx - Fucking *hell*! And a quick look at the
URL will give you more than enough information on Tomb Raider 2 in a
nice no-frames-promise way...

Tim (tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk)
Remove the '_nospam' from address for reply
"We know the difference between fantasy
and reality. We just don't care."

Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:

Kev Thacker

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

On Wed, 02 Jul 1997 23:35:31 GMT, tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk (Tim
Blackbond) wrote:

>ktha...@krisalis.co.uk (Kev Thacker) wrote:
>>>Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:
>>Excellent game. Finished it all. Tomb Raider 2 out later this year.
>
>You should see it on 3Dfx - Fucking *hell*! And a quick look at the
>URL will give you more than enough information on Tomb Raider 2 in a
>nice no-frames-promise way...

On 3DFx it is sooooo smooth and very nice graphics in hi-res. I've
checked out you're web pages and I will confirm that they are
excellent.

I'm just off to join the "Lara appreciation society"...

Kev

Simon Forrester

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

In article <33ba334a...@news.demon.co.uk>,
tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> ktha...@krisalis.co.uk (Kev Thacker) wrote:
> >>Tomb Raider news & features - The Scion Sanctuary:
> >Excellent game. Finished it all. Tomb Raider 2 out later this year.
>
> You should see it on 3Dfx - Fucking *hell*! And a quick look at the
> URL will give you more than enough information on Tomb Raider 2 in a
> nice no-frames-promise way...

What's wrong with frames, then, eh?

--
Simon Forrester http://www.futurenet.com sforr...@futurenet.com
-SFNet- -cult tv- -MacWeb-

Adam James Fitzpatrick

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:
>tim@amorph_nospam.demon.co.uk wrote:

>>>Excellent game. Finished it all. Tomb Raider 2 out later this year.

>>You should see it on 3Dfx - Fucking *hell*! And a quick look at the
>>URL will give you more than enough information on Tomb Raider 2 in a
>>nice no-frames-promise way...

>What's wrong with frames, then, eh?

Mainly, they waste screen space. Often they make a browser useless unless
you run it at 800*600 or larger, because some frames aren't scrollable -
so if an index runs off the bottom, you can't use it. And they're harder
to move around in - the URL entryfield generally holds the original URL
of the document, not the one that's just been loaded, making it harder
to tell where you're going.

I've got a slow modem, so I often turn off "auto load images". Pages with
frames often ignore this, and get 'em anyway (I don't know if this is
by design, or a bug in NS/2 though).

Basically, HTML is *supposed* to be rendered as the user wants to see it.
Frames inhibit that.

I usually view the source and figure out which bit I want.

--
Adam Fitzpatrick

The nice thing about standards is that there's so many of them.

Simon Forrester

Jul 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/4/97

In article <Rl5uzQgd...@ug.cs.su.oz.au>, afit...@ug.cs.su.oz.au
(Adam James Fitzpatrick) wrote:

> sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:
> >What's wrong with frames, then, eh?
>
> Mainly, they waste screen space. Often they make a browser useless unless
> you run it at 800*600 or larger, because some frames aren't scrollable -
> so if an index runs off the bottom, you can't use it. And they're harder

That's just bad web design, surely.

> to move around in - the URL entryfield generally holds the original URL
> of the document, not the one that's just been loaded, making it harder
> to tell where you're going.

Not using Netscape 3, then?

> I've got a slow modem, so I often turn off "auto load images". Pages with
> frames often ignore this, and get 'em anyway (I don't know if this is
> by design, or a bug in NS/2 though).

Sounds like a bug, but if you turn images off, NS will still load the ones
it's got cached.

> > Basically, HTML is *supposed* to be rendered as the user wants to see it.
> Frames inhibit that.

Yeah, but some of us are in the industry of web design - maybe we want to
do something that looks pretty. HTML was designed to be viewed the way the
user wanted it, but that's a very old concept now - the web is now a big
thing, and there are lots of people doing clever things with it - we don't
want to have to stick to straight text and simple images.
www.futurenet.com/tvnet/ is a case in point - it would look dreadful if
the user had full control over its appearance.

Richard Fairhurst

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

Simon Forrester <sforr...@futurenet.co.uk> wrote:

> Adam James Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I've got a slow modem, so I often turn off "auto load images". Pages with
> > frames often ignore this, and get 'em anyway (I don't know if this is
> > by design, or a bug in NS/2 though).
> Sounds like a bug, but if you turn images off, NS will still load the ones
> it's got cached.

Bizarrely, my copy of Netscrote 2 manages to cache images between
sessions despite the fact I've set the disc cache to 0Mb. I tried to
download NS 3 last night, but it crashed halfway through. Funnily
enough, I was using NS 2 to do the download... :-)

Tim Blackbond

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

sforr...@futurenet.co.uk (Simon Forrester) wrote:

>What's wrong with frames, then, eh?

I think they show a lack of imagination - Oh, and the fact that they
slow the loading of a site down because two html files have to be read
instead of one. I just don't like them - TABLEs are the future!

Tim (tim_at_amorph.demon.co.uk)
"Don't mean to push, but I'm being shoved..."
The Scion Sanctuary: Tomb Raider news and features
IRC: irc.unreal.org - #TombRaider

Simon Forrester

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

In article <33c2d76d...@news.demon.co.uk>, t...@amorph.demon.co.uk
(Tim Blackbond) wrote:

> "Don't mean to push, but I'm being shoved..."

And just like you, I think we've had enough.

(IIRC)

Simon Forrester

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

In article <199707081...@p19.ascend2.is2.u-net.net>,
ric...@systemeD.u-net.comma (Richard Fairhurst) wrote:

> Bizarrely, my copy of Netscrote 2 manages to cache images between
> sessions despite the fact I've set the disc cache to 0Mb. I tried to
> download NS 3 last night, but it crashed halfway through. Funnily
> enough, I was using NS 2 to do the download... :-)

Serves you right for using Netscape to do Fetch's work...

It is loading more messages.