Extra-Half-Brite Tutorial and Demo

Kim DeVaughn

Jun 17, 1987, 2:42:15 PM6/17/87
In article <33...@well.UUCP>, ew...@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:

> I found out about EHB about 1.5 years ago, and I thought figuring
> out if it was there was "obvious." Apparently, it isn't. So I whipped up
> this program to help people discover if their machine has it, and if so, how
> to make use of it.

Another nifty hack, Leo, though not as perverse as usual :-)!

> I hope people find this helpful. If not, it will at least keep you
> occupied until Craig Norborg gets around to sending out 'Viacom' (hint,
> hint)....

Hmmmm ... and by my count, two versions of "munching squares", Matt's
DME v1.27, and some stuff I've submitted (ushow, scnsizer, etc.)
Hello doc ... are you there ...

And now to the real point of this posting ...

> MANUFACTURE:
> The program compiles and links under Manx 3.4b (should work under
> other versions, too). ^^^^^^^^^

3.4b? b? Has Jim released the new version? The Manx support BBS has not
been answering for several weeks now, so I am not up on 3.4b's progress or
availability. How's it look, Leo?

BTW, dunno if this is a compiler problem or a "feature" of EHB, but if
the "dancing square" is at the top of the screen when you click the RIGHT
mouse button, it'll take a bite out of one of the upper rectangles ... can
sorta make a game out of it! Hmmm ... maybe EHB *is* as perverse as your
other stuff ... :-)

/kim

--
UUCP: k...@amdahl.amdahl.com
or: {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab

Jun 18, 1987, 4:16:43 PM6/18/87
In article <87...@amdahl.amdahl.com> k...@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <33...@well.UUCP>, ew...@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>> MANUFACTURE:
>> The program compiles and links under Manx 3.4b (should work under
>> other versions, too). ^^^^^^^^^
>
>3.4b? b? Has Jim released the new version? The Manx support BBS has not
>been answering for several weeks now, so I am not up on 3.4b's progress or
>availability. How's it look, Leo?

Looks solid. It has a couple of new command line switches in it
(which I forget off hand). The README file also says that the version I
have is preliminary. Every bug that could be fixed has been fixed. This
implies that there are still a few limitations, but I haven't bumped into
them yet. Jim says that it should be out Real Soon Now.

>BTW, dunno if this is a compiler problem or a "feature" of EHB, but if
>the "dancing square" is at the top of the screen when you click the RIGHT
>mouse button, it'll take a bite out of one of the upper rectangles ... can
>sorta make a game out of it! Hmmm ... maybe EHB *is* as perverse as your
>other stuff ... :-)

An artifact of using the screen's RastPort and not the window's.
When you hit the menu button, Intuition LockLayers() all the windows,
putting to sleep any task trying to render to them. However, the screen
RastPort isn't connected to a layer, so it just happily keeps drawing away
all over your menus and menu bar. This isn't something you want to do if
you're writing a "serious" program.

The reason I render into the screen RastPort is to gain a little bit
of performance. Windows are a superset of layers, which have clipping
routines attached to them. Drawing through a clipping routine slows things
down a bit, which is why I bypass it. So sue me.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape ihnp4!ptsfa -\
\_ -_ Bike shrunk by popular demand, dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o But it's still the only way to fly. hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")
"Work FOR? I don't work FOR anybody! I'm just having fun." -- The Doctor

k...@amdahl.uucp

Jun 19, 1987, 4:14:28 PM6/19/87
In article <33...@well.UUCP>, ew...@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> In article <87...@amdahl.amdahl.com> k...@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> >In article <33...@well.UUCP>, ew...@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> >> MANUFACTURE:
> >> The program compiles and links under Manx 3.4b (should work under
> >> other versions, too). ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >3.4b? b? Has Jim released the new version? The Manx support BBS has not
> >been answering for several weeks now, so I am not up on 3.4b's progress or
> >availability. How's it look, Leo?
> >
> Looks solid. It has a couple of new command line switches in it
> (which I forget off hand). The README file also says that the version I
> have is preliminary. Every bug that could be fixed has been fixed. This
> implies that there are still a few limitations, but I haven't bumped into
> them yet. Jim says that it should be out Real Soon Now.

I didn't make it to BADGE last night, but the pass along is that Jim has
bundled-up v3.40b, and shipped it off to Manx for release and distribution
(last week).

Also, Steve Walton tells me (about the "bugs"):

+ that is, those which aren't fixed aren't
+ really bugs but rather non-ANSI interpretations of syntax in the front
+ end which will remain until version 4.1. Some mysterious libraries
+ with "i" as their middle initial (i.e., mi32.lib) turn out, according
+ to BIX, to be for handling those 68881 add-ons which treat the chip as
+ an I/O device rather than a coprocessor. I'm told the Starboard 2
+ MultiFunction Module falls in this category.

> Drawing through a clipping routine slows things
> down a bit, which is why I bypass it. So sue me.

Naw ... much more fun to try and "eat up" the entire horizontal bar :-)!

BTW, I hear Viacom is pretty slick, Leo (or did he say "sick" ?) Hope doc
will get it posted pretty soon ... I hear he's having "mailer problems"
again (sigh)!

mic...@stb.uucp

Jun 19, 1987, 7:17:18 PM6/19/87

> all consumer machines have this

Not true; mine does not have 1/2 brite, nor does my friend, nor ....

<Sigh> When will we be able to order a replacement chip?
--
: Michael Gersten seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
: Ground floor, comming up -- 1-3-7

Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab

Jun 22, 1987, 4:26:08 AM6/22/87
In article <15...@stb.UUCP> mic...@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:

>> all consumer machines have this
>
>Not true; mine does not have 1/2 brite, nor does my friend, nor ....
>
><Sigh> When will we be able to order a replacement chip?
>--
>: Michael Gersten seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael

After encountering three machines without EHB, I asked Dale Luck at
the last BADGE meeting what his estimates were on how many Amiga 1000's have
EHB capability.

He guessed that the current percentage of Amigas with EHB is about
10%. I suspect it's a bit higher. His explanation was that there was
indeed a new rev. of the chip which made it into the first thousand or so
production machines. Then Commodore started using an older rev. because they
had about 50K of them laying around and didn't want them to go to waste.

Assuming 50K machines without EHB, and 150K machines in place, I
suspect that percetange is more like 66%. Hmmm. Oh well, that's why I
cooked up the 'ehb' program - so you could find out.

Tad Guy

Jun 24, 1987, 3:17:18 PM6/24/87
Recently, there has been discussion regarding how many people have
Extra-Half-Brite mode on their Amigas. Everyone having an Amiga and
reading this forum is invited to participate in an informal survey...

On xanth (specific addresses below), I have created two aliases:

amiga-ehb-yes -- meaning: "Yes, I have EHB"
amiga-ehb-no -- meaning: "No, I don't have EHB"

Run Leo Schwab's EHB test program (from <33...@well.UUCP>). Then...

If you DO have EHB mode: send a letter to "amiga-ehb-yes".
If you DON'T have EHB mode: send a letter to "amiga-ehb-no".

*** DO NOT MAIL YOUR RESULTS TO ME! YOU MUST USE THE ABOVE ADDRESSES! ***
(This means you should *not* reply to this letter to vote!)

In a few days after sending your letter, you should receive a response
confirming its receipt. The letter itself is not read by anyone, so
the Subject: and body should be empty.

After not receiving any new responced for a week, I'll post a summary.

Addressing information (replace "xxx" with either "yes" or "no"):

new UUCP: amiga-...@xanth.UUCP
(this is preferred)

old UUCP: ...!{sun,seismo,mit-eddie,hoptoad}!xanth!amiga-ehb-xxx
(xanth talks to many others -- see your sysadmin if you need help)

ARPA: amiga-ehb-xxx%xanth...@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
(please, do *not* use xanth.cs.odu.edu!)

BITNET: amiga-ehb-xxx%xanth.UUCP AT PSUVAX1

--
Tad Guy (804)-440-4529 UUCP: tad...@xanth.UUCP
Old Dominion University or: ...!seismo!xanth!tadguy

Tad Guy

Jul 2, 1987, 12:11:21 PM7/2/87
[ This is a repost of the article I sent out a week or so ago about
conducting a survey of how many USENET readers with Amigas have EHB.
The votes have started to come in less frequenty, so I thought I would
repost the instructions again to catch anyone I might have missed or
to remind those who forgot. The aliases immediately send a response
to every vote they receive, so if you never got a response, try again.
(I've had a few mailers choke on the replies, but I think I was able
to reroute those around the bad mailers). -- tad ]

Department of Computer Science CSNET: tad...@odu.edu