Adding SIMM ram to an A3000

Tim Evans

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Seeing that the price of SIMMS has fallen dramatically recently, I would like
to add some more RAM to may A3000 (2Meg Chip 8Meg Fast (ZIP's).

Could anyone comment on the cheapest & best way to add SIMMS to an A3000?

I have 1 free Zorro slot....

Thanks & Regards,

Tim Evans
* Zzzzz/Phydeaux * Dr. Tim Evans ** *
* Tim....@qub.ac.uk * Department of Chemistry ** *
* phyd...@enterprise.net * The Queen's University of Belfast ** ** *
* http://www.ch.qub.ac.uk * N. Ireland BT9 5AG **** *
* * ** *
* "Love is a corpse, we sit and watch it harden, AMIGA *
* We left it oh so long ago the garden........" *

Andrew Stephan

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <1996Apr24....@queens-belfast.ac.uk>,

Tim Evans <t...@sg24.ch.qub.ac.uk> wrote:
>Seeing that the price of SIMMS has fallen dramatically recently, I would like
>to add some more RAM to may A3000 (2Meg Chip 8Meg Fast (ZIP's).
>
>Could anyone comment on the cheapest & best way to add SIMMS to an A3000?
>
>I have 1 free Zorro slot....
>
>Thanks & Regards,
>
>Tim Evans

Get a used Fastlane SCSI-II/RAM or ProRAM or some other ZIII 32 bit RAM
board that takes SIMMs. Should cost about $125 used, I would think. I
sold a Fastlane for $125, but it's SCSI-II was flakey. If you want to
add a fair amount of RAM, this is the cheapest way to go. For example,
suppose you want to add 16 megs -
RAM board $125 (est.) four lots of 4 megs of ZIPs $500
four 4 meg SIMMs $220 (est.)
16 megs total cost---- 16 megs total cost ----
$345 $500
Much cheaper to go with SIMMs and more expandable. Yes, I know you
already have ZIPs and specifically want SIMMs. Take heed! This is for
the benefit of anybody who wants large amounts of Fast RAM in an A3000.
Get a 32 bit ZIII RAM board and get cheap 30 pin or 72 pin SIMMs. If you
have 12 megs of ZIPs in your A3000, sell them and get a 32 bit RAM board
and 16 megs of Fast RAM and have money left over!!! These are only
estimates, your mileage may vary.

As regards the types of SIMMs used, you did not mention whether you
preferred 30 pin or 72 pin SIMMs, so I assume you don't care. Last I
checked, the prices were about the same (and I expect will stay that
way). For anyone that is interested, the Fastlane uses 30 pin SIMMs. I
can't tell you about any other kind, because I don't know.

Andrew

Chris "Big Kahuna" Rampson

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96
to Tim Evans

Tim Evans wrote:

> Seeing that the price of SIMMS has fallen dramatically recently, I would like
> to add some more RAM to may A3000 (2Meg Chip 8Meg Fast (ZIP's).
>
> Could anyone comment on the cheapest & best way to add SIMMS to an A3000?

If you can get by with 16bit memory, then there are 8Mb Zorro cards out
there. If you want the 32-bit memory, there is a "hack" available on
AMinet:

PS2_adapter.lha hard/hack 20K 3+Use PS/2 Simms in an A3000.

--
Owner and wielder of Occam's razor! (Committed to regula philosophandi)

_/_/_/ _/ _/ Chris "Big Kahuna"
Rampson M.S.
_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ cram...@ford.com
_/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/ NO cutdowns, flames or
insults
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ NO such thing as a stupid
question!
_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ "NOT an OFFICIAL FORD
spokesperson"

Jochen Koob

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <1996Apr24....@queens-belfast.ac.uk> t...@sg24.ch.qub.ac.uk (Tim Evans) writes:
> Seeing that the price of SIMMS has fallen dramatically recently, I would like
> to add some more RAM to may A3000 (2Meg Chip 8Meg Fast (ZIP's).
>
> Could anyone comment on the cheapest & best way to add SIMMS to an A3000?
>

> I have 1 free Zorro slot....

You may want to take a look at the archive PS2_adapter.lha on Aminet (hard/hack).
This file describes how to use standard PS/2 Simms in an A3000 without a Zorro
card.

Bye, Jochen

--
// Jochen Koob |
\X/ jk...@wish.swb.de | Seven days without pizza makes one weak.

Dave Rankin

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

On Fri 26-Apr-1996 8:18a, Chris \ wrote:

C\> If you can get by with 16bit memory, then there are 8Mb Zorro cards out
C\> there. If you want the 32-bit memory, there is a "hack" available on
C\> AMinet:

C\> PS2_adapter.lha hard/hack 20K 3+Use PS/2 Simms in an A3000.

Just took a look on the Aminet CD's, and did not find that file. I take it it
has not hit the CD's yet?
Dave

%%%%%%///%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%///%%
%__ /// % UUCP: dra...@crashb.sunshine.com %__ /// %
%\\\/// % DATA: 1.305.238.0569 28.8k v34 Amiga/CBM/IBM %\\\/// %
% \XXAmiga% CNet v4.1, 2 Gigs, 6CDs PD/SW/Mods/Gifs Mac % \XXAmiga%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Gene Heskett

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

DR> On Fri 26-Apr-1996 8:18a, Chris \ wrote:

DR> C\> If you can get by with 16bit memory, then there are 8Mb Zorro
DR> cards out C\> there. If you want the 32-bit memory, there is a
DR> "hack" available on C\> AMinet:

DR> C\> PS2_adapter.lha hard/hack 20K 3+Use PS/2 Simms in an
DR> A3000.

DR> Just took a look on the Aminet CD's, and did not find that file.
DR> I take it it has not hit the CD's yet? Dave

Prolly not, go see if wuarchive.wustl.edu has it.

/* Gene Heskett */
/* CE @ WDTV Weston/Clarksburg WV */
/* <gene_h...@wvlink.mpl.com> */
#include <std.disclaimer>

Paul Cubillos

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <DqDvA...@presby.edu> aste...@presby.edu (Andrew Stephan) writes:

[...]

->
->As regards the types of SIMMs used, you did not mention whether you
->preferred 30 pin or 72 pin SIMMs, so I assume you don't care. Last I
->checked, the prices were about the same (and I expect will stay that
->way). For anyone that is interested, the Fastlane uses 30 pin SIMMs. I
->can't tell you about any other kind, because I don't know.

Ok but how about speed of the chips. Will the machine take advantage of the 60
or 70 ns simms? Will the machine run as fast as with the Zip chips??

--
Stingray
Paul Cubillos

| The Amiga Computer - For the Creative Mind |

Jeff Bender

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

On 30 Apr 1996, Paul Cubillos wrote:
> In article <DqDvA...@presby.edu> aste...@presby.edu (Andrew Stephan) writes:
> ->Much cheaper to go with SIMMs and more expandable. Yes, I know you
> ->already have ZIPs and specifically want SIMMs. Take heed! This is for
> ->the benefit of anybody who wants large amounts of Fast RAM in an A3000.
> ->Get a 32 bit ZIII RAM board and get cheap 30 pin or 72 pin SIMMs. If you
> ->have 12 megs of ZIPs in your A3000, sell them and get a 32 bit RAM board
> ->and 16 megs of Fast RAM and have money left over!!! These are only
> ->estimates, your mileage may vary.

I'd keep 4MB of ZIP on hand, since it most likely will be faster than
anything you get on a card, and the system will be easier to break up when
you sell it to buy a PowerAmiga....

> ->As regards the types of SIMMs used, you did not mention whether you
> ->preferred 30 pin or 72 pin SIMMs, so I assume you don't care. Last I
> ->checked, the prices were about the same (and I expect will stay that
> ->way). For anyone that is interested, the Fastlane uses 30 pin SIMMs. I
> ->can't tell you about any other kind, because I don't know.

In my experience, the 30-pinners are going for about 20% more than the
72-pin (based on reading ads memory salesgroup..).

> Ok but how about speed of the chips. Will the machine take advantage of the 60
> or 70 ns simms? Will the machine run as fast as with the Zip chips??

The FastLane manual states that using 60ns SIMMs will give you about 95%
of the speed of 4000 RAM (which I assume is 80ns?); since you have the
Zorro III overhead etc. the RAM is going to be significantly slower than
ZIP mem, especially if you have 60ns ZIPs.

On my system, I have 6MB of very fast RAM on my 040 board, and this seems
to "make up" for the slow FastLane RAM somehow: even though the local
40ns memory is about 6-8X faster in tests than the FastLane RAM, I don't
notice a slowdown on programs using the slower RAM (like I did when I used
to run out of ZIP fast RAM and started running things in chip mem...)

In any case, if you buy ZIPs, you're probably going to be stuck with them
as long as you have your machine. If you buy SIMMs, you can always move
them to a new CPU board or A5000 or whatever you might buy in the future
-- and they are a LOT cheaper. I paid about $450 for my FastLane with
16MB 60ns memory (should cost maybe $400 now with the lower memory prices)
and got a Fast SCSI-II controller in the deal, while 16MB of ZIPs will run
you about $550-600.

|Jeff Bender, Electrical Engineering & German at Oregon State University|
|ben...@engr.orst.edu http://www.orst.edu/~REAL_SOON_NOW!|
| AMiGA 3000T/o4O: 28MB + 1.4GB SCSI2 + CyberGraphX GVP Spectrum |

K. C. Lee

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Jeff Bender (ben...@engr.orst.edu) writes:
> -- and they are a LOT cheaper. I paid about $450 for my FastLane with
> 16MB 60ns memory (should cost maybe $400 now with the lower memory prices)

The price last week was $290 Canadian (~$210 US) for 16 Meg ! I got to
stock up on some simms soon.