PowerUP vs WarpUP

Lars Olsson

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
Why is always the WarpUP version slower and more prone to crash
than the Powerup version?

I mean,if it's the future of PPC it is't a good sign!

--
Best Regards:
//

To reply in e-mail:

please remove "nobullshit" from my adress,or I won't have
your e-mail!

Cameron B. Snyder

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
I have always heard it the other way around (at least for stability).
It guess it depends on what version of WarpOS is installed, and
also the programer who wrote the software. What are you using
and what is your setup? I recently switched to WarpOS mainly
due to the increasing support for it by commercial programs.
Most new software which supports PPC is for WarpOS.
I believe if you try some of the newer software both commercial
and shareware you will see improvements, at least through
my experience.
Cameron Snyder

Steffen Haeuser

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00

gra...@phoenix-netcomm.co.uk wrote :

Hi!

gr> How do you move your system from PowerUP to WarpOS, what i mean is what
gr> files do i have to remove for the powerup to enable warpos to run?

If you have an A4000 just delete the libs:ppc.library, and install the WarpUP
(It comes with an installer script). If you want to run ppc.library programs
still, install the ppc.library Emulation which you can get from
http://devnull.owl.de/~frank.

If you have an A1200 PowerUP is in the ROM, though (while on A4000 it is only
on harddrive). There are two methods to "fix" this. First is to set

env:powerpc/TERMINATOR

to 2

This works fine, if you

The second method is to (recommended !!!) install the BPPCFix program which is
included with the ppc.library Emulation.

When you have WarpUP installed and *no* ppc.library Emulation you should go
sure, that no ppc.library Programs are installed. If you HAVE ppc.library
Emulation installed, that of course does not hurt, but 5% of ppc.library
programs are incompatible with the Emulation and these of course should STILL
be avoided.

Even *if* you have ppc.library Emulation installed I would avoid:

- Turboprint PPC (does not work on the Emulation)
- Voyager PPC Plugins (they don't work on the Emulation AFAIK)
- PPCInstall/ElfLoadSeg
- CGX PPC (this is no PPC Speedup, BTW, it is just sort of a "Dongle" to
make WarpUP usage harder...)

Asides from these all ppc.library programs should run on the Emulation (I
don't know exactly... I do not have ppc.library programs installed on my
machine, despite having the Emulation installed).

BTW: If you have ppc.library based JPEG/PNG Datatypes, I recommend changing
for the WarpJPEG and WarpPNG Datatypes then, they are more than 2x faster.

If there are still questions feel free to ask.

Steffen Haeuser

Steffen Haeuser

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

la...@basis.owl.de wrote :

Hi!

la> Will you ever stop your ~3 years lieing campaign ?

Will you stop yours ? :) I saw recently again some more posts were you told
obviously false crap. (Well, at least one...). I chose not to reply as I do
not see any sense in this anymore. And if I claim that CGX PPC hinders WarpUP
to run properly, where is there the lie ? This one call to the ppc.library
memory function will cause the LoadSeg patch to be activated, and the
ppc.library cannot be terminated properly then.

la> o The old ppc CyberGfx uses the ppc.library memory function to get
la> 32 byte cache line alignment for bitmaps.

This can be done in a more compatible way. For example AND-ing the address,
and saving the original pointer to a second variable. Or at least warning
in the Installation script, that this is no PPC optimization and that people
wanting to use WarpUP should install the 68k version.

Or at least check if a powerpc.library has been installed and avoid using a
ppc.library function if it was found.

Steffen

Steffen Haeuser

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

la...@basis.owl.de wrote :

Hi!

la> propaganda emails to all kinds of developers to use your favourite toy to
la> occur again.

I would say it is the choice of every developer which software he uses. And at
least I did not try to force (like your friend Wolf Dietrich tried...) teams
to my kind of software. And I was at some point also really p*ssed off for the
damage YOU did with YOUR toy. And I know that several developers abandoned the
Amiga because of YOUR WORK.

Get a life...

I won't comment any more on that sort of crap. It was already a mistake to
reply, I see... at the time lost on dispute I can do useful work.

Steffen