ATROPHY details

C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

A T R O P H Y

After a bit of delay, Atrophy is now set for release on 28th March 96

* Atrophy has no less than 10 Ham-8 pictures (16.5 million colour),
count in the other graphics and your talking a staggering 100+ MB
worth of gfx for the game!
* Over 3MB of some of the best sounding music ever
* 6 giant levels
* 12 end of level/mid level guardians
* over 5000 frames of animation
* 60+ objects on screen at any one time
* over 300 colours on screen during the game
* Keyboard, Joystick operation, and redefinable keys
* Hard disk installable, executable from WB
* Minimum disk swapping. As big as the game is, it still only comes
on 4 disks or CD
* Simultaneous 2 player action, shared lives option
* Flexible configuration and options
* Quarter/Half pixel smooth dual playfield scrolling
* Intelligent, random aliens
* Super smooth anims
* No slow-down even with two players with total firepower!

--

Release Date : 28th March 96
RRP : 29.95

OTM Ltd.
1st Floor, 11 Aldergate, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7DL, UK
Tel. 01827 312 302 Fax. 01827 670 10 Email. O...@OTMltd.demon.co.uk

Mark Cordy

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
So....
How do we get it over in the US??

We can't seem to get ANY new games over here.

john enger

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96

****^^^^^^^****
: worth of gfx for the game!

: * Over 3MB of some of the best sounding music ever

***^^^***

: * Minimum disk swapping. As big as the game is, it still only comes

: on 4 disks or CD

Erm... how did you squeeze all that onto 4 floppies? Or is the floppy
version substantially smaller than the CD version?

========================= john....@bbsrc.ac.uk =====================///===
A1200, 40 Mhz '030, 2+4Mb RAM, 80Mb HD, 1960 MSync Monitor. ///
-------------------------------------------------------------------\XX/-----

OTM

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96

Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)
--
Steven Rennocks
Systems Director

Paul Copsey

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
OTM (O...@otmltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
> of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)

So you have a compression algorithm that will compress to 3% of the
original size? You definitely ought to get out of the games business,
and write some HD Backup software.

Paul

--
"Lieutenant Commander, I'm aware of your hostility towards Psi Corps and
the reason for it...and I sympathize."

Morden

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
OTM (O...@otmltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
: of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)

So would you puleeze like to explain to us thickies out here how you managed
to squeeze OH-SO-MUCH data (100 Megabytes of graphics!? Wow.) onto OH-SO-FEW
disks?

--
____
---- / / / -- Jason Murray - G66Z9 - http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~s9507594

Alex Amsel

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article: <4fmgd0$2...@aggedor.rmit.EDU.AU>
s950...@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU (Morden) writes:

> OTM (O...@otmltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
> : of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)
>
> So would you puleeze like to explain to us thickies out here how you
managed
> to squeeze OH-SO-MUCH data (100 Megabytes of graphics!? Wow.) onto
OH-SO-FEW
> disks?

You don`t mean to say OTM (no offence!!) hype things a bit ridiculously
do you?!

But seriously, I know how it was done. A few thousand space scenes
(totally black) would do the trick ;)

| Alex Amsel : Silltunna Software Lead Programmer : Black Magic |
| XTremeRacing 1x1 TMapping and Stunning Gameplay on AGA Amigas |
| Al...@teeth.demon.co.uk | Steve Bull is Back | *PWEIPWEIPWEI* |

Sven Tegethoff

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
R...@hotline.pfalz.de (Emmanuel Henn) schrieb am 06.02.1996 um 00:00:00 Uhr folgendes unter dem Betreff "Re: ATROPHY details":

EH> Emmanuel Henn starrte gebannt auf die Nachricht von
EH> C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL,die urploetzlich auf seinem PowerAmiga-Monitor
EH> erschien und beschloss, auf den Betreff `ATROPHY details'
EH> folgendes zu erwidern.....
EH> C:> A T R O P H Y
EH> C:>
EH> C:>
EH> C:> After a bit of delay, Atrophy is now set for release on 28th March 96
EH> C:>
EH> C:>
EH> C:> * Atrophy has no less than 10 Ham-8 pictures (16.5 million colour),

EH> Excuse me, but HAM-8 only can display 262000 colours, while IFF24
EH> can display 16.7 million.

Which is of course correct, but it doesn't matter at all, since
you can't display more colours at once than you have pixels on the screen,
anyway.

CIAO, ____/|
____ |____ ____ ____ |__ ____ |____ @ius.gun.de \ o.O|
(_____| )(___/_(___/_|____(____|| ) @softgold.com =(_)=
A smiling face, a warm embrace, two paws to hold me tenderly ...

Aki Laukkanen

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Emmanuel Henn (R...@hotline.pfalz.de) wrote:

: Excuse me, but HAM-8 only can display 262000 colours, while IFF24
: can display 16.7 million.

Given big enough screen you can display all the 16.7 million colours with
it but you're right about the fact that it was just some marketing bs.

--
Daeron

Andreas Keirat

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Al...@teeth.demon.co.uk (Alex Amsel) benutze seine Tastatur am 12.02.1996 um 12:20:10 Uhr, um
folgenden Text unter dem Betreff "Re: ATROPHY details" zu erzeugen:
AA> In article: <4fmgd0$2...@aggedor.rmit.EDU.AU>
AA> s950...@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU (Morden) writes:
AA> >
AA> > OTM (O...@otmltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:
AA> > : Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
AA> > : of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)
AA> >
AA> > So would you puleeze like to explain to us thickies out here how you
AA> managed
AA> > to squeeze OH-SO-MUCH data (100 Megabytes of graphics!? Wow.) onto
AA> OH-SO-FEW
AA> > disks?
AA>
AA> You don`t mean to say OTM (no offence!!) hype things a bit ridiculously
AA> do you?!
AA>
AA> But seriously, I know how it was done. A few thousand space scenes
AA> (totally black) would do the trick ;)

Hmm, seems like you did not look close enough. There are many battles
between the good black space ships and the evil black ones... Look at frame
256, where the FRGHZU-fighter attacks the CSDRT-warship with ZYZY-rockets
(in smooth black...) = 8-)))))

Sorry for off-topic, couldnt resist ;)

MfG,
Andreas

A4040-10MB-345MB-CDRom-Zyxel Modem-A4 Scanner...

Morden

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Alex Amsel (Al...@teeth.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: You don`t mean to say OTM (no offence!!) hype things a bit ridiculously
: do you?!

Hell no ... I just wanna know when OTM are gonna include a free set of
steak knives :)

: But seriously, I know how it was done. A few thousand space scenes
: (totally black) would do the trick ;)

Hmmmmmm... good thinkin'!

Sillytuna ;)

--
.sig96____
soon!/ / / --- Jason Murray -------- http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~s9507594

C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96

> > OTM (O...@otmltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > : Nope its all gone onto 4 floppies and is not a cut down version
> > : of the CD version....so watch out for the previews/reviews! :)
> >
> > So would you puleeze like to explain to us thickies out here how you
> managed

> > to squeeze OH-SO-MUCH data (100 Megabytes of graphics!? Wow.) onto
> OH-SO-FEW
> > disks?

> You don`t mean to say OTM (no offence!!) hype things a bit ridiculously
> do you?!
>
> But seriously, I know how it was done. A few thousand space scenes
> (totally black) would do the trick ;)

> | Alex Amsel : Silltunna Software Lead Programmer : Black Magic |
> | XTremeRacing 1x1 TMapping and Stunning Gameplay on AGA Amigas |
> | Al...@teeth.demon.co.uk | Steve Bull is Back | *PWEIPWEIPWEI* |

Tut, tut Alex.

Its not like you to dismiss the abilities of other programmers so easily
and without thinking, but I think you've done it again!

Please speak with the programmers of Atrophy about its spec and then if
there is anything that we've said that isn't true then fair enough...
have a word with Trevor Mensah and Frank Tout yourself.

Alex Amsel

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article: <813667...@otmltd.demon.co.uk> "C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL"
<Pir...@otmltd.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Tut, tut Alex.
>
> Its not like you to dismiss the abilities of other programmers so
easily
> and without thinking, but I think you've done it again!

Errr. Well I don`t think I`m the only one wondering about such a huge
compression ratio. If you can achieve that ratio on stuff you should go
make a few billion in the compression industry....

Such compression usually means lots of patterning/space/so on.

> Please speak with the programmers of Atrophy about its spec and then
if
> there is anything that we've said that isn't true then fair enough...
> have a word with Trevor Mensah and Frank Tout yourself.

I was being sarcastic (couldn`t you tell) !!!

Paul Copsey

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Alex Amsel (Al...@teeth.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> In article: <813667...@otmltd.demon.co.uk> "C:DEMONSPOOLMAIL"
> <Pir...@otmltd.demon.co.uk> writes:

Doesn't say a lot when they can't even configure their software
correctly ;-)

> > Tut, tut Alex.
> >
> > Its not like you to dismiss the abilities of other programmers so
> easily
> > and without thinking, but I think you've done it again!
>
> Errr. Well I don`t think I`m the only one wondering about such a huge
> compression ratio. If you can achieve that ratio on stuff you should go
> make a few billion in the compression industry....

Exactly, I'd like that compression algorithm, it'd sure make
downloading cheaper.

> Such compression usually means lots of patterning/space/so on.
>
> > Please speak with the programmers of Atrophy about its spec and then
> if
> > there is anything that we've said that isn't true then fair enough...
> > have a word with Trevor Mensah and Frank Tout yourself.

OK, since I personally can't ask them, perhaps someone could explain
how they've compressed the gfx etc to 3% of it's original size.

Paul

--
"I can't see him through this encounter suit."
'Trust me, its better this way.'

Morden

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

:
: Please speak with the programmers of Atrophy about its spec and then if

: there is anything that we've said that isn't true then fair enough...
: have a word with Trevor Mensah and Frank Tout yourself.

Well could yu get one of the programmers into the office some day and get
them to explain to us all how you managed to squeeze 100 Megs of gfx onto
4 disks?

Or is that just the hype which Alex (rightly so in my opinion) dismissed?