Re: original AmigaBoing! demo download?

Antti Pyykko

Feb 27, 2007, 7:56:15 AM2/27/07
On 2007-02-27, bob from oz <zutr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm trying to source a download for the original Boing! demo for the
> Amiga. i have found very little on the net leading to this elusive demo.
> one archive i found *isn't* the original, but the site maintainer
> insists it is original, even though it has a 1996 $VER string in it.
> duh. help anyone?

You're right. For example Pouet http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=27096
links to a version ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/hitchhikr/old/boing.zip
that seems to have $VER: Boing 43.1 (6.4.96).

I swept through my old Amiga hard drive archives and found another version.
It seems to be somewhat original. It differs from the version in Aminet
misc/antiq/boing.lha in that my version has debugging symbols whereas the
Aminet version doesn't. Mine is some 5k larger than the Aminet version.
I showed mine to Harry Sintonen who did a quick dissassembly of it and
mentioned that the original version is very buggy, which is why there's
the newer '96 version floating around.

I created zip and lha archives from the demo, you can get them from
http://www.bukkake.fi/boing/ -- both archives contain the same files.

If you want to take a look at the disassembly by Harry "Piru" Sintonen see
http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/temp/boing.asm

(Crossposting added)

bob from oz

Feb 28, 2007, 3:54:37 AM2/28/07
Antti Pyykko wrote:
> I swept through my old Amiga hard drive archives and found another version.
> It seems to be somewhat original. It differs from the version in Aminet

excellent! thankyou for finding that. i've had real trouble. i'm being a
bit of a completist, wanting this original version, but what can you do?

> mentioned that the original version is very buggy, which is why there's
> the newer '96 version floating around.

yes, apparently the original was coded quite quickly. i'll see how buggy
the original was when i try running it i suppose. i clearly remember the
original demo *amazing* me when i saw it. my A1000 was expensive, but
worth every penny. thanks again! :-)

bob