GCC objective c compiler

Philip Rutter

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

I have a problem compiling Objective C code with the latest gcc,
2.7.2 is it ? When I try to compile the sample programs, i.e.
Simple.m and Fishie.m all I get is an error saying
'Simple.m: file or directory does not exist' or something very
much like that. The c++ and C equivalents work fine.

Is the gcc front end properly integrated with the obj-c backend
since it doesn't even get as far as that ? If I kick off the obj-c
compiler directly (i.e. not via gcc) it does at least start to
compile even though it gives errors since things aren't set up
correctly.

Am I missing something or is there a real problem.

My system is an A5000 with 4M memory.

TIA
Phil

--
| Philip Rutter, Ipswich Systems Engineering Centre |
| BT Labs, Martlesham Heath , Ipswich, Suffolk IP5 7RE, England |

Adrian Bool

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <5ff30g$3...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>, Philip Rutter

<URL:mailto:p...@aeolians.bt.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a problem compiling Objective C code with the latest gcc,
> 2.7.2 is it ? When I try to compile the sample programs, i.e.
> Simple.m and Fishie.m all I get is an error saying
> 'Simple.m: file or directory does not exist' or something very
> much like that. The c++ and C equivalents work fine.

Try files called 'Simple' and 'Fishie' in a directory called
'm' and compile fomr above that...

aid (Just guessing)

--
Adrian J Bool | mailto:a...@u-net.net
Network Operations | http://www.u-net.net/

Reuben Thomas

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

Philip Rutter <p...@aeolians.bt.co.uk> wrote:
>I have a problem compiling Objective C code with the latest gcc,
>2.7.2 is it ? When I try to compile the sample programs, i.e.
>Simple.m and Fishie.m all I get is an error saying
>'Simple.m: file or directory does not exist' or something very
>much like that. The c++ and C equivalents work fine.

Add :m to the system variable UnixFS$sfix, which is defined in !GCC.!Run,
if it's not already defined, or try putting it nearer the front if it is
(I had problems with the list being too long on my computer). I haven't
used Objective-C, but this is the most likely thing I can think of.
--
Web page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rrt1001/