ACORN HAS COLLAPSED

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

There has been no new major software released by any big
developers in the last year. In fact many developers have
either closed down, or moved away from the acorn market. Those
that are left have much smaller staff numbers, and are
basically just selling off old stock cheap, while they can.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed. Speaking
as an insider I know this, so do most people at Acorn, plus
practically all developers and so do the staff at the mags.

A lot of people have predicted this for quite a while now, but
it's the speed which it's happened thats taken people including
myself by surprise.

These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

If you want evidence look at this months acorn user, Acorn have
actually brought the front cover as an advert. Not to advertise
a product just to say they are alive (only just).

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

A few months ago when the market was very fragile, Acorn
decided to virtually tax 2000 UKP from all it's developers for
a medium sized stand at Acorn World. About the only people who
made a profit at this complete flop of a show were Acorn,
charging customers 10 UKP entrance certainly pleased the
accountants.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Of course there are a few new small developers emerging but
they are basically selling PD quality software at a 20 UKP
price. No real innovations are being made, that sustain
any true interest.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Of course the people at Acorn are nice chaps, but when you
scratch away the surface you'll find that there is nothing
more than rotten managers and accountants working for an
evil plc. It doesn't care about it's computer range, it just
wants money from licence deals. And it certainly doesn‘t care
about it's public customers, it just wants your money.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Acorn user is now so thin it's become a stapled magazine. There
are very few adverts compared to past years; despite the fact
advert prices have more than halved in the past year. Once a
quarter page cost 350 UKP now that would buy you a double page
spread. Taking a look at the letters page you'll see it's just
moans about Acorn, there it nothing new to talk about.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

It's not just the Oracle deal that collapsed when companies
realised just how arrogant and greedy Acorns rotten managers
were. If the city realised just how many of the license deals
Acorn had been working on had collapsed, the share price would
half instantly.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

The internet is such a new exciting frontier. Yet acorn
machines have very poor access to it. It's the future but not
via an Acorn.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

For years Acorns has thought it acceptable to treat the
customers of it's expensive new flagship machines like dirt.
When the A5000 was realised with 3.0 nothing worked until 3.1
was realised nearly a year later. There were similar problems
with the deep colour on RiscPCs caused months of trouble, then
there was StrongARM.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In 1989 Acorn had a world beating new WIMP operating system,
after years of very little development money it's hardly
changed. Now RISCOS is very dated, it could have been so
different.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Programmers are feed up had are leaving Acorn. Just this month
I know of five top class unix experts who have left.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

The A7000 is a joke surely, you have to choose weather to have
a CD or just one add on piece of hardware. Totally pathetic.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Greg Hennessy

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

On 30 Mar 1998 02:35:38 +0200, nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

>These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
>or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
>consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
>RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.

Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...

greg

--
Greg Hennessy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew Webster

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <6fmpk1$g...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous

<URL:mailto:nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:
> In 1989 Acorn had a world beating new WIMP operating system,
> after years of very little development money it's hardly
> changed. Now RISCOS is very dated, it could have been so
> different.

How sad you are.
Here is someone who learnt about Risc OS, saw it a couple of times a few
years ago, has just bought one and is suprised at how easy the system is
to use - because they have just had to take it back for a Pc because they
can't read the manual well enough to aquaint themselves with the style.
Oh dear, Risc OS is just as easy to use as it always has been for first-
time users! Unlike Windoze. Of course, if a computer was as hard to use
as your average Pc, who would buy them?

Regards,

Matt. W.
--
Matthew Webster - bg...@wmin.ac.uk - mweb...@apsoft.co.uk
matthew...@hotmail.com - matthew...@yahoo.com

Matthew Webster

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <351f3d37....@news.ncc.dhl.com>, Greg Hennessy

<URL:mailto:ghen...@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 1998 02:35:38 +0200, nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:
> >These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
> >or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
> >consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
> >RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.
> Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...
Yup.

Compared to s**t hot Pc's Risc Pc's are a little old, but not redundant
because they live long and stay well. Pc's, on the other hand, have a
`Completely obsolete after 6 months guarentee`, are incredibly hard to
use/repair (at least hardware-wise) and make pathetic NC machines.

I have never, personally, met any non-computer user (Or long-time terminal
user) who has found it easy to aquaint themselves with a Pc. Acorn yes,
Pc no.

The RPC2 is only expected to be redundant by those pessimists who are not
looking at the workings of the Acorn platform and why it's so good.
Pc's ARE obsolete 6 months after their release because they are dinosaurs;
Ok, dinosaurs with roller-scates, jet-packs, ski's, boxing-gloves, floats,
rockets, wings etc. all glued on as kludges to help them go faster and
better. But they are still dinosaurs. Acorn technology is new and better
thought out.

Mohamed I. Abdullah

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <ant30083...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>, Matthew Webster

<URL:mailto:mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6fmpk1$g...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous
> <URL:mailto:nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:
> > In 1989 Acorn had a world beating new WIMP operating system,
> > after years of very little development money it's hardly
> > changed. Now RISCOS is very dated, it could have been so
> > different.
>
> How sad you are.
> Here is someone who learnt about Risc OS, saw it a couple of times a few
> years ago, has just bought one and is suprised at how easy the system is
> to use - because they have just had to take it back for a Pc because they
> can't read the manual well enough to aquaint themselves with the style.
> Oh dear, Risc OS is just as easy to use as it always has been for first-
> time users! Unlike Windoze. Of course, if a computer was as hard to use
> as your average Pc, who would buy them?
>

> Regards,
>
> Matt. W.

What "Anonymous" really means is that Acorn RISCOS users have not been screwed
to the hilt by software and hardware developers: release a primitive SW v.1
followed by v.2 to 7 at high cost and to do that must upgrade the HW to more MB,
MHz and more RAM and better screens. Of course, the business thrives but what
about the users? Our budget for PCs is almost as high as that for other equipment
and we have to upgrade more frequently than replacing laboratory gear. To cap it
all, the manuals (windoze and all) are so unintelligible, we have to employ a
couple of "experts" to set up machines, confix, and sort out the crashes and
viral infections - all this before you have thought of networking. For the latter,
we employ another set of experts. What a waste of resources.

I get tremendous satisfaction when the student cannot print his MS-Word document
and comes to me complaining the machine is dumb. I just loads his file into
TechWrite and off to the laser printer.

Lone Acorn RISCOS user

* Mohamed Abdullah *
* University of Oslo Tel. (+47) 22 85 45 47 *
* Marine Zoology and Marine Chemistry Section FAX: (+47) 22 85 44 38 *
* PB 1064, Blindern, Oslo 3, NORWAY E-Mail:abdullah...@bio.uio.no *

Mr J. Bland

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

On 30 Mar 1998, Anonymous wrote:

>Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

Of course, while I don't fully agree with anonymous has said 'it' has
a few a grains of truth. The acorn range is looking quite dated these
days adn with very little choice. A slow A7000+ (FP, WOW, as if
everybody doesn't already have this) which I would never buy. OR the RPC
which is fast but feeling very tired. The RPC-II sounds cool and I'll be
getting one, but what will I run on it.... Games are beginning to appear
but *new* commercial software is getting way too thin on the ground for
my liking....

Annonymous is just saying what a lot of us are thinking but scared to
admit. I use acorns, I'll continue to use acorns but I sometimes wonder
if I'm boxing myself into a corner by doing so.

John BLand (Shrike on #acorn)

Jack Parkinson

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Isn't this two days early? I mean April 1st is not until Wednesday ;-)

--
----
Jack Parkinson

Liam Gretton

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <351f3d37....@news.ncc.dhl.com>, Greg Hennessy
<URL:mailto:ghen...@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:

[ranting snipped]

> Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...

Perhaps a pissed-off (or maybe just pissed) ex-employee?

--
Liam Gretton l...@star.le.ac.uk
Space Research Centre, li...@binliner.demon.co.uk

Paul Boddie

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Mr J. Bland (pp0u...@liverpool.ac.uk) wrote:

: On 30 Mar 1998, Anonymous wrote:

: >Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

[...]

: Of course, while I don't fully agree with anonymous has said 'it' has

: a few a grains of truth. The acorn range is looking quite dated these
: days adn with very little choice. A slow A7000+ (FP, WOW, as if

I agree. Although the manner by which the poster wanted to express
their views leaves somewhat to be desired, they cannot necessarily
be dismissed as a fanatic, even though their motives may be
dubious, just so that their views may be ignored and that life can
go on happily and oblivious to the situation being presented.

[...]

: Annonymous is just saying what a lot of us are thinking but scared to

: admit. I use acorns, I'll continue to use acorns but I sometimes wonder
: if I'm boxing myself into a corner by doing so.

Yes, if people actually read what this person has written
(although it is tedious to read it several times, and to
repeat-post in that way does give the impression that the person
in question has a limited repertoire of points to make), some of
what they have written is fairly "close to the bone". The above
statement is a classic example - everyone gets excited about the
hardware, which itself is a target for criticism, but many try
to "blot out" criticism of the lack of software.

If Acorn machines had the necessary base of software to do (to
the appropriate level of rigour) the wide range of tasks
required in many environments outside primary and secondary
education (and a few niche markets), and yet still failed to
find wide acceptance, then one could possibly blame this on poor
marketing or industry conspiracy. However, many people seem to
get this the wrong way round, and never realise why things are
the way that they are.

["Followups set." "Make it so, number one!"]

--
Paul Boddie Paul....@cern.ch
| http://assuwww.cern.ch/~pboddie
| Any views expressed above are personal and not necessarily
| shared by my employer or my associates.

Greg Hennessy

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:59:40 +0100, Liam Gretton <l...@star.le.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Perhaps a pissed-off (or maybe just pissed) ex-employee?

Undoubtedly :-)

Astute Graphics

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

> It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed.

<snip>

Etc. Etc.

Well, my advice to anybody using Acorn machines is to use them
until they become obsolete in what you WANT them to do. They may
not have every feature MS boxes have, but they do what they do
efficiently and reliably.

It all depends what you want, really.

Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody
demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
to the same quality in an equal amount of time.

That's why Risc PC are still in the real world to me.

All the best to all,

Nick (Astute Graphics)

http://www.astutegrfx.demon.co.uk

Matthew Webster

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.98033...@uxe.liv.ac.uk>,

Mr J. Bland <URL:mailto:pp0u...@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
> A slow A7000+ (FP, WOW, as if
> everybody doesn't already have this) which I would never buy. OR the RPC
> which is fast but feeling very tired. The RPC-II sounds cool and I'll be
With ARM chips speeding up in leaps and bounds (Especially with the backing
ARM will get from Intel; this should be even more so) Acorns are simply
going to blow away the competition, especially as the OS continues to be so
much more compact and ultimately faster than other platform's OS's.

> getting one, but what will I run on it.... Games are beginning to appear
> but *new* commercial software is getting way too thin on the ground for
> my liking....

Why do you think Acorn is putting money into 3rd party SW developers? -So
more software (And especially games) are released ready for the new system.

Matthew Webster

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <ant3013560b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics

<URL:mailto:ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed.
> They may
> not have every feature MS boxes have, but they do what they do
> efficiently and reliably.
Mine does.

> Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody
> demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
> to the same quality in an equal amount of time.

Here here!

Nicholas Kitchener

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Anonymous wrote..
[snip- which ever post]

Bitter? Twisted? Sounds like your life is just sand in the wind?
OK- but I think you could have done this in a single post :/

Nick.
--
Nicholas Kitchener, Software Engineer, Logica UK

Astute Graphics

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Sorry Matthew,
<URL:mailto:mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> Here here!

Where?

It had to be done :-)

All the best,

Nick (Astute Graphics)

Allan Eagle

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <6fmpr0$g...@basement.replay.com>
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

> It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed. Speaking
> as an insider I know this, so do most people at Acorn, plus
> practically all developers and so do the staff at the mags.
>
> A lot of people have predicted this for quite a while now, but
> it's the speed which it's happened thats taken people including
> myself by surprise.
>

> These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
> or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
> consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
> RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.

Duh! Its not April the 1st yet!!!!

--
Allan Eagle (Lista)
a.j....@cableinet.co.uk

Watch out for my RISC OS QuakeSpy alternative.
Get your sample at http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/a.j.eagle/dl.cgi?qserv

Rick Galbraith

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

over the RiscPC.

if there are developers out there who want to organize into a software
co-op, please email me:

rick_ga...@iname.com

I am making the commitment to buy a RiscPC in the next six months. I
agree that I am on a very tiny budget, but that doesn't mean we can't
do something working together.

PS: those complainers out there who can't get the programs they want
for their RiscPC, please email me. I will try to find developers out
there to go to work on these things.

Rick

garyp

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <6fmp9f$f...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous
<URL:mailto:nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:

> There has been no new major software released by any big
> developers in the last year. In fact many developers have
> either closed down, or moved away from the acorn market. Those
> that are left have much smaller staff numbers, and are
> basically just selling off old stock cheap, while they can.

Why cross post sooooo muchhhhhhh??

Prat

Gary

--

ga...@thesidingsbbs.demon.co.uk

Luke Stutters

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <ant30104...@xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk>,

Liam Gretton <l...@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <351f3d37....@news.ncc.dhl.com>, Greg Hennessy
> <URL:mailto:ghen...@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:

> [ranting snipped]

> > Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...

> Perhaps a pissed-off (or maybe just pissed) ex-employee?
Naaa - this is an insider job.

--
Luke Stutters,
The Renegade Penguin.

Why not visit...
http://fortunecity.com/campus/dramatic/77/index.html

Tim B

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.98033...@uxe.liv.ac.uk>

"Mr J. Bland" <pp0u...@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 1998, Anonymous wrote:
>
> >Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

> Of course, while I don't fully agree with anonymous has said 'it' has
> a few a grains of truth. The acorn range is looking quite dated these
> days adn with very little choice. A slow A7000+ (FP, WOW, as if

> everybody doesn't already have this) which I would never buy. OR the RPC
> which is fast but feeling very tired. The RPC-II sounds cool and I'll be
> getting one, but what will I run on it.... Games are beginning to appear
> but *new* commercial software is getting way too thin on the ground for
> my liking....
>
> Annonymous is just saying what a lot of us are thinking but scared to
> admit. I use acorns, I'll continue to use acorns but I sometimes wonder
> if I'm boxing myself into a corner by doing so.
>
> John BLand (Shrike on #acorn)

I do agree here to a certain degree, and if mr 'anonymous' had posted
some facts...or anything more substantial then rhetoric then I would be
much more receptive. At the moment all we have is about 10 massivly
crossposted messages for the sole purpose of slagging off acorn.

I would love to see more software available for my computer, but
strongED is still the best text editting software I have used on any
platform (certainly for programming anyway) and there are other cases
like this but they are far too thin on the ground.

Hopefully things will improve with the RPC2 and NC but Acorn seems to
have a nack of holding on by the tips of its fingers and never quite
falling but not pulling itself up either.

Tim

Tim B

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <6fmpeu$g...@basement.replay.com>
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

> A few months ago when the market was very fragile, Acorn
> decided to virtually tax 2000 UKP from all it's developers for
> a medium sized stand at Acorn World. About the only people who
> made a profit at this complete flop of a show were Acorn,
> charging customers 10 UKP entrance certainly pleased the
> accountants.

I think most people know why acorn world was expensive. Why do I think
this person has a catalogue somewhere of every complaint ever made and
is working through it putting it in his own words?

Tim B

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <6fmphh$g...@basement.replay.com>
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

> It's not just the Oracle deal that collapsed when companies
> realised just how arrogant and greedy Acorns rotten managers
> were. If the city realised just how many of the license deals
> Acorn had been working on had collapsed, the share price would
> half instantly.

Ewww...now I understand. Which deal did acorn refuse to do with you
then?

Rainer Schubert

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <6fmpeu$g...@basement.replay.com>
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

> A few months ago when the market was very fragile, Acorn
> decided to virtually tax 2000 UKP from all it's developers for
> a medium sized stand at Acorn World. About the only people who
> made a profit at this complete flop of a show were Acorn,
> charging customers 10 UKP entrance certainly pleased the
> accountants.

This seems to be old mail/news rather than actually fresh posted

Regards,
Rainer
--
Rainer Schubert internet: schu...@dl6hbo.will.keine.werbung.gag.de
ampr.org net: dl6...@db0hht.ampr.org

Stephen Crocker

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Before being shot for writing article <6fmpk4$g...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous wrote:

> Programmers are feed up had are leaving Acorn.

Well, can you respect someone who sends multiple anonymous flames and
can't even write English?

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk

Stephen Crocker

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Before being shot for writing article <6fmpld$g...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous wrote:

> Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

Internet Software, Acorn Doom, Synth+ and Rhapsody 4 are all products I
have bought or will be buying this year. All new stuff unless it's
been hiding very carefully!

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
\, |/|\ _________ [ ]
. |/^\ . 2 . /__\

... "Virtual" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.

Alex Holloway

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <ant30092...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>,

Matthew Webster <mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <351f3d37....@news.ncc.dhl.com>, Greg Hennessy
> <URL:mailto:ghen...@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:
> > On 30 Mar 1998 02:35:38 +0200, nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:
> > >These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
> > >or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
> > >consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
> > >RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.
> > Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...
> Yup.

> Compared to s**t hot Pc's Risc Pc's are a little old, but not redundant
> because they live long and stay well. Pc's, on the other hand, have a
> `Completely obsolete after 6 months guarentee`, are incredibly hard to
> use/repair (at least hardware-wise) and make pathetic NC machines.

May i point out that my 1 1/2 year old 240MHz SA RiscPC still has rather more
processor power than many of the machines on sale at Dixons?
Although it may need a revamp, IMHO it needs it far less now than the RiscPC
700 did before the StrongArm came out, and we're promised the same scale of
speed increase :-)

> I have never, personally, met any non-computer user (Or long-time terminal
> user) who has found it easy to aquaint themselves with a Pc. Acorn yes,
> Pc no.

> The RPC2 is only expected to be redundant by those pessimists who are not
> looking at the workings of the Acorn platform and why it's so good.
> Pc's ARE obsolete 6 months after their release because they are dinosaurs;
> Ok, dinosaurs with roller-scates, jet-packs, ski's, boxing-gloves, floats,
> rockets, wings etc. all glued on as kludges to help them go faster and
> better. But they are still dinosaurs. Acorn technology is new and better
> thought out.

What about Galileo? I'd assume that when that's complete and everything,
we'll have a shiny new Risc OS 4 based on it, with virtual memory,
pre-emptive multitasking, multi processor support, and of course massive
incompatability problems which will shake a few software houses into motion
again... or am i hopelessly optimistic? :-)

--
alex holloway

\\ //
### \\ // # ### ### ### # # ### ###
# \\// # # # # ## # # #
### == # ### # ### # # # # ###
# //\\ # # # # # ## # #
### // \\ # ### # ### # # ### ###
// \\

email: exis...@acornusers.org
www: http://acornusers.org/existence/

Alex Holloway

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.98033...@uxe.liv.ac.uk>,

Mr J. Bland <pp0u...@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 30 Mar 1998, Anonymous wrote:

> >Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

> Of course, while I don't fully agree with anonymous has said 'it' has
> a few a grains of truth. The acorn range is looking quite dated these
> days adn with very little choice. A slow A7000+ (FP, WOW, as if
> everybody doesn't already have this) which I would never buy. OR the RPC
> which is fast but feeling very tired. The RPC-II sounds cool and I'll be
> getting one, but what will I run on it.... Games are beginning to appear
> but *new* commercial software is getting way too thin on the ground for
> my liking....

> Annonymous is just saying what a lot of us are thinking but scared to
> admit. I use acorns, I'll continue to use acorns but I sometimes wonder
> if I'm boxing myself into a corner by doing so.

Yup, except it's NOT something to start saying all over a newsgroup,
particularly when you're guaranteed to be scorned by everyone by not giving
your name!
The A7000+ is of course an obsolete waste of money and Acorn shouldn't bother
making 'em :-( but the SA RiscPC's are still pretty reasonable, despite the
16MHz motherboard :-(
RiscPC2 on the other hand will be nicely competitive with current PC's (it'll
make Windoze 98 look VERY lame compared to RiscOS!!) and will hopefully spark
off a wave of new software development in the way the RiscPC did back in '94

Alex Holloway

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Astute Graphics <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed.

> <snip>

> Etc. Etc.

> Well, my advice to anybody using Acorn machines is to use them

> until they become obsolete in what you WANT them to do. They may

> not have every feature MS boxes have, but they do what they do
> efficiently and reliably.

> It all depends what you want, really.

> Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody

> demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
> to the same quality in an equal amount of time.

> That's why Risc PC are still in the real world to me.

> All the best to all,

> Nick (Astute Graphics)

I'm sure you could do it with a G3 PowerMac ;-)

No, seriously, you don't want to use that (if RiscOS is looking dated as a
certain person DARED to say, then what's Mac OS looking like then?)...

Microsoft stick loads and loads of time-saving stuff into their software
because the OS is so flippin' slow, you have to have it in order to get
something done at all, even on a PentiumII 333MHz.

A RiscPC2 with all the promised stuff including (fingers crossed) that 400MHz
StrongArm, will run RiscOS at, let's guess, an equivalent of 6 times faster
than Windoze on a yet-to-be-released 400MHz Pentium II. That's Windoze
Slowdown Factor for you! :-)

Cheer up everyone, it won't be over for a while yet...

Alex Holloway

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <522f2f48%tim...@armage.demon.co.uk>,
Tim B <tim...@armage.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I would love to see more software available for my computer, but
> strongED is still the best text editting software I have used on any
> platform (certainly for programming anyway) and there are other cases
> like this but they are far too thin on the ground.

Zap 1.39b is better ;-)

Noel Hitchcock

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <6fmp9f$f...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous
<URL:mailto:nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:

Can anyone tell me how my host name appears in the X-Ref section of this
trash. I feel a bit miffed to have any link with this nobody mouse
person. Or does it mean, it thinks I am a newsgroup. In which case I
find that vaguely amusing. Maybe its a post from the Sunday Sport. That
is right up there with "An Alien Ate My Mother" and "The number 93 bus
at the North Pole" and of course "Acorn Has Collapsed"

Yours

Noel Hitchcock

'Definitely not a mouse'

--
/\ / __ __ /
/ \ / / / /_/ /

Stuart Morris

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Steven M. Ottens

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

GRRRR

People it's bad enough that that stupid ACORN HAS COLAPSED posting is here.
but WHY do you all keep crossposting it.
It's not that importanat and i'm really pissed off to get everytime i enter a new csa-group all the re: AHC postings
So put it in the csa.advocacy group so me and all the other multi-csa-group-users aren't bother anymore with 6 times re: AHC.

ALL THE ACORN HAS COLLAPSED POSTINGS TOO:

----------------------COMP.SYS.ACORN.ADVOCACY---------------------------
in future

Thanx
--
Steven Ottens Ste...@lx.student.wau.nl | Acorn Risc PC, ARM710, 8+2MB RAM
WWW: http://www.student.wau.nl/~steveno | I^3 Ethernetcard & 4000k "modem"

Mark Sawle

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <ant3020430b09*U...@llamas.demon.co.uk>
Noel Hitchcock <no...@llamas.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how my host name appears in the X-Ref section of this
> trash.

The X-Ref header is added by your machine when the article is downloaded,
so it contains your machine's name. It doesn't include your machine name
for anybody else.

[Newsgroups trimmed]

--
Mark Sawle ml...@cam.ac.uk
Robinson College, Cambridge mls...@locutus.demon.co.uk

David Robinson

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In message <6fmpr0$g...@basement.replay.com>
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

> It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed. Speaking
> as an insider I know this, so do most people at Acorn, plus
> practically all developers and so do the staff at the mags.
>
> A lot of people have predicted this for quite a while now, but
> it's the speed which it's happened thats taken people including
> myself by surprise.
>

> These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
> or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
> consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
> RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.

Troll, please go forth and multiply.

--
____ _ _ ___ _ _
| _ \ __ ___ _(_)__| | | _ \___| |__(_)_ _ ___ ___ _ _
| |_) / _` \ V / / _` | | / _ \ '_ \ | ' \(_-</ _ \ ' \
|____/\__,_|\_/|_\__,_| |_|_\___/_.__/_|_||_/__/\___/_||_|
I was hitchhiking the other day, and a hearse stopped. I said, "No thanks -
I'm not going that far."

Robert Hampton

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <ant302106b49#=m...@riscpc.student.wau.nl>, "Steven M. Ottens"
<ste...@lx.student.wau.nl> wrote:

[snip]

> ALL THE ACORN HAS COLLAPSED POSTINGS TOO:
>
> ----------------------COMP.SYS.ACORN.ADVOCACY---------------------------
> in future

And you think they'll listen?!

--
_ _ _ _______________________________________________
|_ /_\ |_)| _.._ _| / Robert Hampton, Liverpool, UK
| / \|_)|(_|| |(_| / fab...@argonet.co.uk
_____________________/ http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/fabland/

PowerHouse

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <6fmpju$g...@basement.replay.com>, nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
wrote:
> For years Acorns has thought it acceptable to treat the
> customers of it's expensive new flagship machines like dirt.

OK. Sent the check on Monday, got my RPC on Thursday, found a problem with
the monitor. Phoned. Yes sir, no sir three bags full sir from Acorn.
I like being treated like dirt :-)

Aidan

--
_____ _ _
\The | __ \ http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/algus/ /

Di Hillage

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

> Isn't this two days early? I mean April 1st is not until Wednesday ;-)

Obviously this plonker simply isn't aware of the speed of response involved
in RISCOS products and misjudged his posting time so it arrived too early.

--
Di Hillage

.---------------------------------------------------------------.
Śex-Acornwall user - now moved to Dorset - and busily retired ! Ś
'---------------------------------------------------------------'
dhil...@argonet.co.uk

Matthew Webster

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <ef7ee2f48%tim...@armage.demon.co.uk>, Tim B
<URL:mailto:tim...@armage.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <6fmphh$g...@basement.replay.com>

> nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:
> > It's not just the Oracle deal that collapsed when companies
> > realised just how arrogant and greedy Acorns rotten managers
> > were. If the city realised just how many of the license deals
> > Acorn had been working on had collapsed, the share price would
> > half instantly.
And would jump straight back up when everyone realised to how much rubbish
you are spouting.

It's not Acorn's fault ppl occasionally have broken deals, far from the
number you would have us believe anyway.

Think about the number of broken contracts etc. M$ and IBM and others have;
M$ has failed with _every_release of Windoze.

> Ewww...now I understand. Which deal did acorn refuse to do with you
> then?

Exactly! Probably denied a free-fix of a 10 yr old B-Micro's keyboard.
I would.

Matthew Webster

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <482f14529...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway

<URL:mailto:exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:
> May i point out that my 1 1/2 year old 240MHz SA RiscPC still has rather more
> processor power than many of the machines on sale at Dixons?
> Although it may need a revamp, IMHO it needs it far less now than the RiscPC
> 700 did before the StrongArm came out, and we're promised the same scale of
> speed increase :-)
700 to Sa : 5x speed increase : from 40Mhz to 200Mhz
SA to <next> : (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz
(1Bhz!!!!!!)

> What about Galileo? I'd assume that when that's complete and everything,
> we'll have a shiny new Risc OS 4 based on it, with virtual memory,
> pre-emptive multitasking, multi processor support, and of course massive
> incompatability problems which will shake a few software houses into motion
> again... or am i hopelessly optimistic? :-)

Nope. Doubt it.

I don't think compatibility problems will be as dire as ppl think they
will; just my humble opinion though!

David Allsopp

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Alex Holloway <exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:

>> Compared to s**t hot Pc's Risc Pc's are a little old, but not redundant
>> because they live long and stay well. Pc's, on the other hand, have a
>> `Completely obsolete after 6 months guarentee`, are incredibly hard to
>> use/repair (at least hardware-wise) and make pathetic NC machines.
>

>May i point out that my 1 1/2 year old 240MHz SA RiscPC still has rather more
>processor power than many of the machines on sale at Dixons?
>Although it may need a revamp, IMHO it needs it far less now than the RiscPC
>700 did before the StrongArm came out, and we're promised the same scale of
>speed increase :-)

I was pleasantly surprised today; I compiled a program that I've been
working on at home (RiscPC Mk1, 200Mhz StrongArm) on the fastest PC in
the lab (A few-months-old Dell P200). Same compiler, same options (GCC
-O3). I expected the PC to be faster, after all it presumably has a new
motherboard designed for a fast processor, more memory bandwidth,
cache etc, but it was only about 2/3 of the speed of the RPC. 8-)
(This was a program to play the board game Othello, btw)

David.

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java
that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a

Ian Molton

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <ant31094...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>,

Matthew Webster <mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> SA to <next> : (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz
> (1Bhz!!!!!!)

isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?

GHz whould be better...)

--
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world

Matthew Webster

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <482f67007...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton

<URL:mailto:mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
> isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?
> GHz whould be better...)

Billion: is it 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million) UK
or: 1,000,000,000,000 (1 million million)? US

Well, I would think that, if what the guy before me (Sorry, lost your name)
wrote, about the speed jump, then the next CPU from ARM will be 1GHz.

Dickon Hood

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In message <ant31111...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>
Matthew Webster <mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:

: In article <482f67007...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton

: <URL:mailto:mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
: > isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?
: > GHz whould be better...)

: Billion: is it 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million) UK
: or: 1,000,000,000,000 (1 million million)? US

: Well, I would think that, if what the guy before me (Sorry, lost your name)
: wrote, about the speed jump, then the next CPU from ARM will be 1GHz.

'Tother way around. The proper billion is a million million, but the
Americans presumably couldn't count to a million million, so decided to call
a thousand million a billion. A proper billion they call a trillion. Our
trillion should be a billion billion. Things get silly after that, and I
find it easier to think of powers of ten.

The next step after giga is terra. I can't think of a prefix beginning with
B.

--
Dickon Hood

I've now managed to find my .signature file, normal service
will be resumed when Connex South Central get their act together.
We apologise for the inconvenience in the mean time.

Adrian Ian Skilling

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

> There were similar problems
> with the deep colour on RiscPCs caused months of trouble, then
> there was StrongARM.

Well. I've agreed with a lot of your previous comments (or they
sounded reasonable, I don't have the facts). But I never remember
problems with deep colour on RiscPCs (tricky to use though) and
StrongARM's were extremely successful. Gave my machine a new
lease of life !

--
Adrian

Henry Helliwell

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <482f14529...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway
<URL:mailto:exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:

[snip]

> What about Galileo? I'd assume that when that's complete and everything,
> we'll have a shiny new Risc OS 4 based on it, with virtual memory,
> pre-emptive multitasking, multi processor support, and of course massive
> incompatability problems which will shake a few software houses into motion
> again... or am i hopelessly optimistic? :-)

Not at all (-: even though we may not get all of that instantly, of course
but I'm sure there swill be a lot of sudden action by the software companies
to get all their programs updated/rewritten to take advantage of all the new
fetures. Also they'll prolly have to do a bit of forward thinking so when
everything above arrives they won't have to do another massive rewrite

|_| _ ._ ._ |_| _ ||o _ || he...@stohelit.demon.co.uk
| |(/_| || \/ | |(/_|||\/\/(/_|| http://www.stohelit.demon.co.uk
/ On IRC and Oaktree as RISCy

Henry Helliwell

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <ant31111...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>, Matthew Webster

<URL:mailto:mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <482f67007...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton
> <URL:mailto:mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
> > isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?
> > GHz whould be better...)
>
> Billion: is it 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million) UK
> or: 1,000,000,000,000 (1 million million)? US

Other way round, but most people use the US (1,000,000,000) one these days.

> Well, I would think that, if what the guy before me (Sorry, lost your name)
> wrote, about the speed jump, then the next CPU from ARM will be 1GHz.

Malcolm Boura

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In message <ant3013560b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>
Astute Graphics <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > It's finally happened the Acorn market has collapsed.
>

> <snip>
>
> Etc. Etc.
>
> Well, my advice to anybody using Acorn machines is to use them
> until they become obsolete in what you WANT them to do. They may
> not have every feature MS boxes have, but they do what they do
> efficiently and reliably.

Reliability is essential. A recent independent survey showed that
schools require about 6 times more external (expensive) support per PC
than for Acorn's.

My experience is that this is understated. We have never-ending problems
with corrupted/altered/sabotaged this that and the other on the PC's.
The local PC experts are making a fortune from us. 99% of Acorn problems
are fixed with a power-up reset. I can't remember when we last required
external support, certainly not in the last couple of years.

--
Malcolm Boura, ARMage Software
http://www.armage.demon.co.uk

Malcolm Boura

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In message <522f2f48%tim...@armage.demon.co.uk>
Tim B <tim...@armage.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.98033...@uxe.liv.ac.uk>

> I would love to see more software available for my computer, but
> strongED is still the best text editting software I have used on any
> platform (certainly for programming anyway) and there are other cases
> like this but they are far too thin on the ground.
>

> Hopefully things will improve with the RPC2 and NC but Acorn seems to
> have a nack of holding on by the tips of its fingers and never quite
^^^^
Who taught my son to spell? I blame the parents myself.

> falling but not pulling itself up either.
>
> Tim

But as Tim knows, ARMage software is rapidly developing dBoxTools which
makes the provision of dialogue boxes and command line front ends so
fantastically easy that there will shortly be a huge supply of new
software :-)

http://www.armage.demon.co.uk/software/dBoxTools/

Alex Holloway

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <ant31094...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>,
Matthew Webster <mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <482f14529...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway
> <URL:mailto:exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:
> > May i point out that my 1 1/2 year old 240MHz SA RiscPC still has rather
> more
> > processor power than many of the machines on sale at Dixons?
> > Although it may need a revamp, IMHO it needs it far less now than the
> RiscPC
> > 700 did before the StrongArm came out, and we're promised the same scale of
> > speed increase :-)
> 700 to Sa : 5x speed increase : from 40Mhz to 200Mhz
> SA to <next> : (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz
> (1Bhz!!!!!!)

Err i'm not just thinking of processor speed.

66MHz motherboard ==> up to 4x increase in memory read/write which takes up a
certain proportion of processing time.
Second level cache ==> Ditto.
High speed StrongArm ==> hopefully twice the speed of the current ones.

Add that up - plus at the end of the year,

StrongArm2 ==> hopefully speed doubled again? :-)

> > What about Galileo? I'd assume that when that's complete and everything,
> > we'll have a shiny new Risc OS 4 based on it, with virtual memory,
> > pre-emptive multitasking, multi processor support, and of course massive
> > incompatability problems which will shake a few software houses into motion
> > again... or am i hopelessly optimistic? :-)

> Nope. Doubt it.

> I don't think compatibility problems will be as dire as ppl think they
> will; just my humble opinion though!

I hope as well! :) The thing'll probably ship with Risc OS 3.8, but hopefully
a new version later on (Acorn World 98 would be nice)

Anarchy

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Anonymous wrote:

> A few months ago when the market was very fragile, Acorn
> decided to virtually tax 2000 UKP from all it's developers for
> a medium sized stand at Acorn World. About the only people who
> made a profit at this complete flop of a show were Acorn,
> charging customers 10 UKP entrance certainly pleased the
> accountants.

[SWIFT HAND SIGNALS]

Tim B

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In message <482f15370...@argonet.co.uk>
Alex Holloway <exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:

> > I would love to see more software available for my computer, but
> > strongED is still the best text editting software I have used on any
> > platform (certainly for programming anyway) and there are other cases
> > like this but they are far too thin on the ground.
>

> Zap 1.39b is better ;-)

Cool, who wants a Zap vs StrongEd war?
(Crossposted to every csa.newsgroup as well ;-) )

Malcolm Boura

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In message <ant3020430b09*U...@llamas.demon.co.uk>
Noel Hitchcock <no...@llamas.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <6fmp9f$f...@basement.replay.com>, Anonymous

> <URL:mailto:nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:
>
> Can anyone tell me how my host name appears in the X-Ref section of this
> trash.

Probably because _your_ news reader put it there when it generated the
"X-Ref". You will find it in the header of all posts you receive.

T.K. Kelly

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <482f67007...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton
<mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

> In article <ant31094...@pdp.apsoft.co.uk>,
> Matthew Webster <mweb...@apsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> > SA to <next> : (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz
> > (1Bhz!!!!!!)
>
> isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?
>
> GHz whould be better...)

Interesting, isn't it. This is the one obvious place where the English
Billion is used. We were right all along!

Terry Kelly.

--

___ __ _ _ __________________________________
| |_ |_| |_| \ / / ACORN RISC PC700 200MHz SA 40Mb/5.5Gb
| |__ | \ | \ | / ...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
/ t...@argonet.co.uk

Toast: May the best of your past be the worst of your future.

Philip R. Banks

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) writes:
[snip doom and gloom posting]

Whoa! That was freaky man! Like, acid flashback time freaky! It was just
like I was back in 1986... no 1989, ummm... no 1991... no.... err.

Ah hell, it's been like most of the years since I have been reading Acorn
news on the Internet. I wonder if there is a connection there.

Philip

--
Philip R. Banks http://wn.planet.gen.nz/~banksie/ @@@@@/|
Sig Theatre presents :- Alien @@@@/#|

Ian Fitzgerald

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In message <na.4a1c37482f....@argonet.co.uk>
Di Hillage <dhil...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Isn't this two days early? I mean April 1st is not until Wednesday ;-)
> >
> Obviously this plonker simply isn't aware of the speed of response involved
> in RISCOS products and misjudged his posting time so it arrived too early.

FUD factor

F = fear
U = uncertainty
D = doubt

--
Ian Fitzgerald
Melbourne Australia

Alan K Baker

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fok0k$niq$1...@pumpkin.pangea.ca>, Rick Galbraith
<ric...@mail.pangea.ca> writes
>over the RiscPC.
>
>if there are developers out there who want to organize into a software
>co-op, please email me:
>
>rick_ga...@iname.com
>
>I am making the commitment to buy a RiscPC in the next six months. I
>agree that I am on a very tiny budget, but that doesn't mean we can't
>do something working together.
>
>PS: those complainers out there who can't get the programs they want
>for their RiscPC, please email me. I will try to find developers out
>there to go to work on these things.

Having just bought the Visual Basic V "bible" at some 1592 part
undecipherable pages, I can say that the RISC OS Wimp is easier to
understand and to program. However, some of the stuff that I have to
write for special commission, is also saleable publicly in the business
world, and I have to face facts - the business world just does not have
the commitment to Acorn to make me a sensible profit, without trying to
charge outrageous prices.

For my own use, I cannot find any software on the Acorn platform that
matches the functionality of MSAccess and MSExcel, it just doesn't
exist. The Ant Internet Suite that I paid 100UKP for is pretty well
total cack, despite several upgrades. Every time I want to add/upgrade
some hardware, I either have to pay Acorn dealer ripoff prices, or go
without because I can't get a driver for Acorn machines. Even the bloody
power supplies are several times the price of a PC one which can do the
same job.

Whilst most things that Acorn/RISC OS does are far superior to everyone
else, if they can't fulfil a requirement then they are worse than
useless in that area. Yes, MS lumbers along, is not elegant, and can be
slow, but if it does the job at the end of the day, then that's what
matters. My PC does what I want, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

When the above issues are resolved, I will make a 100% total commitment
to Acorn and throw my PC away. Until then, I will use my Acorn for what
it's best at for my requirements, and that's precious little at present.
:-(

Regards

Alan

--
Alan K Baker WurliTzer Willy Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows '95.
www.senora.demon.co.uk

Alan K Baker

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <482f15370...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway
<exis...@acornusers.org> writes

>In article <522f2f48%tim...@armage.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim B <tim...@armage.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I would love to see more software available for my computer, but
>> strongED is still the best text editting software I have used on any
>> platform (certainly for programming anyway) and there are other cases
>> like this but they are far too thin on the ground.
>
>Zap 1.39b is better ;-)

Oh shutup! :-)

Alan K Baker

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <482f14aeb...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway
<exis...@acornusers.org> writes
>In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.98033...@uxe.liv.ac.uk>,
> Mr J. Bland <pp0u...@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Annonymous is just saying what a lot of us are thinking but scared to
>> admit. I use acorns, I'll continue to use acorns but I sometimes wonder
>> if I'm boxing myself into a corner by doing so.
>
>Yup, except it's NOT something to start saying all over a newsgroup,
>particularly when you're guaranteed to be scorned by everyone by not giving
>your name!
>The A7000+ is of course an obsolete waste of money and Acorn shouldn't bother
>making 'em :-( but the SA RiscPC's are still pretty reasonable, despite the
>16MHz motherboard :-(
>RiscPC2 on the other hand will be nicely competitive with current PC's (it'll
>make Windoze 98 look VERY lame compared to RiscOS!!) and will hopefully spark
>off a wave of new software development in the way the RiscPC did back in '94
>:-)

Who are all of these people who are complaining about anonymity? You
seem to be the only one who objects! You are also one of the reasons for
his anonymous posts. By threatening him with bad-mail you have given
credibility to his excuse.

Patrick Herborn

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In message <482f67007...@staffs.ac.uk>
Ian Molton <mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

> > SA to <next> : (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz
> > (1Bhz!!!!!!)
>
> isnt that (1BHz) a 5000x increase?

Nope, since there isn't a B prefix.... the prefixes are :

k kilo (1E3)
M mega (1E6)
G giga (1E9)
T tera (1E12)
P peta (1E15)
E exa (1E18)

> GHz whould be better...)

Well, it would be correct... either with a single 1GHz SA (not likely) or
with five 200MHz SAs (not in the near future).

Cheers,

Pat.

--
キ=============================================================================キ
| Patrick Herborn, | pat@nanobyte重emon縦o瞬k | Primary Mail Address |

Patrick Herborn

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In message <482f9d195...@argonet.co.uk>
Alex Holloway <exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:

> > 700 to Sa : 5x speed increase : from 40Mhz to 200Mhz SA to <next> :

> > (projected) 5x speed increase : from 200 Mhz to 1000 Mhz (1Bhz!!!!!!)
>

> Err i'm not just thinking of processor speed.

Indeed.

> 66MHz motherboard ==> up to 4x increase in memory read/write which takes up
> a certain proportion of processing time.

Only useful if you're doing sequential accesses. SDRAM still has a long
intial setup time....

> Second level cache ==> Ditto.

There is no L2 cache. For those that didn't catch that, THERE IS NO L2 CACHE.
There, simple isn't it? There is, however, some memory mapped SRAM. It's no
faster than the SDRAM at sequential read/write, but it's about 5 times as
fast on random read/write.

> High speed StrongArm ==> hopefully twice the speed of the current ones.

Wishful thinking?

> Add that up - plus at the end of the year,

Will be very nice.... but could have been nicer still!

> StrongArm2 ==> hopefully speed doubled again? :-)

Wishful thinking?

Cheers,

Pat.

--
·=============================================================================·
| Patrick Herborn, | pat@nanobyteŹdemonŹcoŹuk | Primary Mail Address |

'============================================================================='
After a period of absence, return of the tagline.....

... See that buzzer, That's your sound card that is.

Ian Molton

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <r5VAECA1...@senora.demon.co.uk>,

Alan K Baker <brai...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> My PC does what I want, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

You dont think PC's are broke?

RiscNet International

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant30104...@xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk>, Liam Gretton
<URL:mailto:l...@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <351f3d37....@news.ncc.dhl.com>, Greg Hennessy
> <URL:mailto:ghen...@lhr-sys.dhl.com> wrote:
>
> [ranting snipped]
>
> > Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...
>
> Perhaps a pissed-off (or maybe just pissed) ex-employee?

Hiya Liam,

You're damm right, someone likes to have a stir on 1 april
saying that Acorn has been collapsed.

No way: at least NOT till 2050!
I will never use those rotten pcs a la microsuck BG.
Once an Acorn Computer, ALWAYS an Acorn Computer!!!

Cheers,
RingMaster Acorn Dealer WebRing

--
___ _ _ _ _
| _ (_)___ __| \| |___| |_
| / (_-</ _| .` / -_) _|
|_|_\_/__/\__|_|\_\___|\__| Email: r...@datawave.demon.nl
___ _ _ _ _
|_ _|_ _| |_ ___ _ _ _ _ __ _| |_(_)___ _ _ __ _| |
| || ' \ _/ -_) '_| ' \/ _` | _| / _ \ ' \/ _` | |
|___|_||_\__\___|_| |_||_\__,_|\__|_\___/_||_\__,_|_|

---

Karl Hawkes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant3013560b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
<ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> writes

>Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody
>demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
>to the same quality in an equal amount of time.

Corel 8 and CorelXara are both better than Artworks, and PhotoShop is
better than either PhotoDesk or Studio24. Here my story.....

I first got a PC 2 years ago, mainly just for better internet access,
which it did give. Netscape didn't crash as often as Termite, and best
of all it was free.

Until recently I didn't use the PC for anything else, because I just
assumed it wouldn't be any good.

One day while I was designing Web graphics somebody pointed out that
with CorelXara you could select an object and then save that selection
straight out as a gif, with a mask if required, I became interested.
Previously in Artworks screen grabbing an object and then cropping it in
Paint and then converting it to a GIF was the only way to do this.
CorelXara saved me hours.

At first I drew the graphics in Artworks and exported them to the PC,
but in the space of just a week I realised that this was pointless as
CorelXara had much better features. This month I've just tried a 30 day
trial full version of Corel 8. It's amazing, dozens of easy to use tools
all easy to use and very powerful. For example you can rub a chunk out
of a vector object with a paint brush like tool, and the object stays a
vector object, which you can then cut in half this a fab knife tool.
It's plain silly to compare Artworks to this.

I've had a similiar experiance with a Photoshop demonstration.

Basically although RISC is much better the mircosoft windows, some of
the non microsoft applcations are very very powerful and have obviously
many man years of work put into them by large development teams. It
would be difficult to imagine the images shown in the gallery of a
magazine like 'computer ARTS' being created on an Acorn. If you're ever
in Birmingham Nick you're welcome to have a look.

Having said all that, I still use the Acorn for all paper published
work. It's easier to stick with it for now, and besides the CC LBP8
laser we've got will only work with an acorn.

--
Karl Hawkes
ACORN DEVELOPER

Sten Hougaard

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Anonymous wrote:

> Fast hardware. No new software. No future.

"No new software"? - How do you know? perhaps something isin the
pipeline... :-)

I agree somehow though. At work I use PZ and Win95. You can
locate most any piece of software you need when you have access
to Internet. Many interesting is happening on the PZ platform, and
many places miles ahead of Acorn RPC. Is this news? Look at the
number of potential customers for an application developed for
the two platforms...

We must not give up though - what we should do is to think positive:
"How can we use our current situation?". Look at ARM. They have
done right - this is probertly the only reason that Acorn is still
alive!
What did they do? Give up? - No. They realised what they could,
and COULD NOT!

If you have the needs for new 10+ Mb applications every week
then go for the win95 OS. (may I remind you that once installed an
application on win95 will always be there - in the registration database

of the OS). I am a beta-tester for Photodesk. Not an ex-betatester!
(did you get the unsaid point?) - The brilliant applications from
Spacetech don't need 10+ Mb to work. I know that this does not
really matter IRW - but I like to keep things simple (KISS: Keep it
simple stupid!).

Well, I'll be back - I BTW would like to say that you writing
Anonymously
is - in your case - a good idea!

Cheers,

--
Sten Hougaard, Projektmedarbejder hos
Erhvervsskolernes Forlag og Servicecenter

Astute Graphics

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <QNuP6RAVMxI1Ew$5...@zenta.demon.co.uk>, Karl Hawkes (of Zenta)

<URL:mailto:ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ant3013560b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
> <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> writes

> >Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody
> >demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
> >to the same quality in an equal amount of time.

> Corel 8 and CorelXara are both better than Artworks, and PhotoShop is
> better than either PhotoDesk or Studio24. Here my story.....

> I first got a PC 2 years ago, mainly just for better internet access,
> which it did give. Netscape didn't crash as often as Termite, and best
> of all it was free.

Did you think of trying ANT's suite or Argonet's solutions? You happened
to choose the set-up that fell by the wayside. Tough - it happens to us
all. And all running on a two-year-old PC (let's see - that makes it a
P100? - not much use in today's PC market, especially in terms of
graphics). I think you'll find that a SA RiscPC is easily faster than
that. But speed isn't everything and 'My machine is holier than thou' is
definitely not my approach...

> One day while I was designing Web graphics somebody pointed out that
> with CorelXara you could select an object and then save that selection
> straight out as a gif, with a mask if required, I became interested.
> Previously in Artworks screen grabbing an object and then cropping it in
> Paint and then converting it to a GIF was the only way to do this.
> CorelXara saved me hours.

The thing is, screengrabbing and drag-saving into InterGIF isn't exactly
hard work is it? Oh, and it now automatically crops images. And if you are
particularly on the ball, it is simplicity itself making ArtWorks do some
great anti-aliased vector-based animations. I can't remember that feature
in CorelXARA. You'll have to get Webster for that. But then, why get
CorelXARA in the first place?

> At first I drew the graphics in Artworks and exported them to the PC,
> but in the space of just a week I realised that this was pointless as
> CorelXara had much better features. This month I've just tried a 30 day
> trial full version of Corel 8. It's amazing, dozens of easy to use tools
> all easy to use and very powerful. For example you can rub a chunk out
> of a vector object with a paint brush like tool, and the object stays a
> vector object, which you can then cut in half this a fab knife tool.
> It's plain silly to compare Artworks to this.
>
> I've had a similiar experiance with a Photoshop demonstration.

I've just gone and visited your (as-yet-unfinished) Zenta website to see
all these brilliant effects. I'm afraid to tell you that I could have done
them all on a standard RiscPC when it came out four years ago with a
standard copy of ArtWorks (and InterGIF, if it was around then). If you
go out and buy a new PC every year (essential for up-to-date PC graphics)
along with a copy of Corel 8 and PhotoShop and upgrades each year, you'll
be paying as much as six times as much as buying an Acorn machine every
four years and new software every two. Note that both options are just as
relevant at any moment in time.

Obviously, as with every business, if you can justify this cost then it
/is/ worth it. However, considering that I could have done you a profess-
ional large website design for half the cost of a new /good/ PC alone,
then I would suggest that you look at some figures once more and justify
your original conclusions again.

Basically, what it comes down to is that if you are at the cutting-edge
of design with contracts worth 10s of thousands of pounds then such
equipment can not only be justified, but regarded as essential. I am not
at that level, and I doubt that you are either. If people wish to buy
such systems just for the 'pose' factor, then that is another matter...

> Basically although RISC is much better the mircosoft windows, some of
> the non microsoft applcations are very very powerful and have obviously
> many man years of work put into them by large development teams. It
> would be difficult to imagine the images shown in the gallery of a
> magazine like 'computer ARTS' being created on an Acorn. If you're ever
> in Birmingham Nick you're welcome to have a look.

All I can say is keep an eye-out for a forthcoming ArtWorks 'replacement'
which should give you another reason to continuously re-justify your
choice of equipment and expenditure levels.

As for the great magazine 'Computer Arts', keep your eyes open over the
coming year. You just never know...

Oh, and I might just take you up on that offer of a visit - at all times
I keep my mind open to possibilities. As I said in the original mail, if
somebody can convince me that my choice of platform is hindering my
graphics business, then I will take a change. It isn't the 'unknown'
that I don't wish to venture into, its a non-profitable business that
I am trying to avoid.

> Having said all that, I still use the Acorn for all paper published
> work. It's easier to stick with it for now, and besides the CC LBP8
> laser we've got will only work with an acorn.

After spending all that money of a PC system, surely a new up-to-date
laser printer is just a drop in the ocean?

To each their own.

All the best,

Nick (Astute Graphics)

http://www.astutegrfx.demon.co.uk/

T.K. Kelly

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant0208080b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
<ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>(snip most of a well-reasoned article)
> All I can say is keep an eye-out for a forthcoming ArtWorks 'replacement'
> which should give you another reason to continuously re-justify your
> choice of equipment and expenditure levels.
(another large snip)
> Nick (Astute Graphics

OK, Nick. Do tell, 'cos I'm interested in anything connected with graphics.

Incidentally, since I don't use any Wintel stuff, I thought that Xara was
merely the M$ version of Artworks. What are these 'extras' that Karl was
raving about? Are they useful, other than in Website production? And if
so, are they available to us?

Terry Kelly.

--

___ __ _ _ __________________________________
| |_ |_| |_| \ / / ACORN RISC PC700 200MHz SA 40Mb/5.5Gb
| |__ | \ | \ | / ...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
/ t...@argonet.co.uk

Why do committees spend so long discussing the agenda and so little discussing the subjects?

Jim Lesurf

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Karl Hawkes <ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ant3013560b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
> <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> writes
> >
> >Astute Graphics will continue to use Risc PCs until somebody
> >demonstrates that another platform can create an equivalent image
> >to the same quality in an equal amount of time.
> >
> Corel 8 and CorelXara are both better than Artworks, and PhotoShop is
> better than either PhotoDesk or Studio24.

That may be so. I've not used most of those.

However, have you overlooked the excellent '!Compo'?...

OK. It isn't meant for 'painting', but it is super for image manipulation.
For web-graphics I personally find it brilliant. Given the way RiscOS apps
work together I find it an ideal companion for ArtWorks and Vector when
creating object-based items for web-pages.

> One day while I was designing Web graphics somebody pointed out that
> with CorelXara you could select an object and then save that selection
> straight out as a gif, with a mask if required, I became interested.

Compo will save as a GIF with a user-selected transparent background.
It will load ArtWorks files (with anti-aliasing) as well as drawfiles and
allow you to manipulate them in various ways (e.g. 'rub out' parts) before
saving the result as a GIF or JPEG.

> At first I drew the graphics in Artworks and exported them to the PC,
> but in the space of just a week I realised that this was pointless as
> CorelXara had much better features. This month I've just tried a 30 day
> trial full version of Corel 8. It's amazing, dozens of easy to use tools
> all easy to use and very powerful. For example you can rub a chunk out
> of a vector object with a paint brush like tool, and the object stays a
> vector object, which you can then cut in half this a fab knife tool.

Both of these are possible with Compo. e.g Have a look at the lower part
of:
http://duttonlabs.demon.co.uk/order/order.html

This is a mix of a form and some large graphics. The graphics were created
with Vector/ArtWorks and then 'cut up' with Compo. The sections and the
form are then laid out in a table so that the graphic 'surrounds' the form
elements. It isn't especially elegant as I'm not a 'proper' graphic
designer, but it shows what would possible for someone who knows more than
myself about design. :-)

> Basically although RISC is much better the mircosoft windows, some of
> the non microsoft applcations are very very powerful and have obviously
> many man years of work put into them by large development teams.

I can't comment on all the things PC apps can do. What I can say is that
for some reason Compo seems to get overlooked by people who seem to assume
they need 'better known' apps like PhotoDesk. (A bit like the excellent
TechWriter family tend to be overlooked by people who go directly for
OvePro.)

I'm sure that OvePro and PhotoDesk are fine, but it may be that - as with
me - Compo or TechWriter would suit your needs better?

It may be that much of what you need is available under RiscOS, but in a
package you're not aware of?

BTW. Although I greatly admire Nick's work and Phantasm (and Martin's
ArtWorks plug-ins) I should point out that Compo users have had the
ability to get transparent ArtWorks objects for *ages*. Just drop each
group of AW objects into Compo and select a transparency level for the
things you want 'in front'. You can have transparent shadows, too.

As I said, I can't comment on many of the apps you mention as I haven't
used them, so you may be right in the comparison. But I feel that things
like Compo deserve more attention as, otherwise, we assume we are more
limited than we really are. My personal feeling is that Compo is
*excellent*. I tend to run AW and Compo in parallel, using AW as my
object-creator/editor window and Compo as my layout/presentation window.
The combination is very flexible and powerful. It puzzles me that more
people don't seem to do this...

[Apology: I would've trimmed the follow-ups but I didn't know what group
this specific item was posted from. misc or apps make sense after this.]

All IMHO, obviously. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

--
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
MMWaves http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/MMWave/Index.html

Karl Hawkes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant0208080b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
<ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> writes

>> I first got a PC 2 years ago, mainly just for better internet access,
>> which it did give. Netscape didn't crash as often as Termite, and best
>> of all it was free.
>
>Did you think of trying ANT's suite or Argonet's solutions? You happened
>to choose the set-up that fell by the wayside. Tough - it happens to us
>all.

After waiting a year for Termite, and using ANT at a demonstration. And
then using a PC (netscape and turnpike), I made my choice.

I currently have real and development versions of all of main three
acorn browser, compared to the PC they are non-standard (even among
themselves) and often won't access the hottest sites.

In fact it's a pain in the neck designing an acorn compatiable site, we
have had no time for our own site recently, and the site that there I
knocked up in 2 hours for the christmas promotion. I've used PC to
greatly help in creating work for NC related contract work.

Karl Hawkes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant0208080b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>, Astute Graphics
<ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> writes

>> Having said all that, I still use the Acorn for all paper published
>> work. It's easier to stick with it for now, and besides the CC LBP8
>> laser we've got will only work with an acorn.
>
>After spending all that money of a PC system, surely a new up-to-date
>laser printer is just a drop in the ocean?

The PC system was very cheap. Unlike Acorns they are. I recent update
from P75 to MMX P233 cost a mere 150UKP, which included a new
motherboard. I even sold my old parts for 50UKP.

I do use my because Acorn I like it. Your comment was for graphics work
there is nothing better, my comment simply was there is!

And I'm deadly serious just a 10 minute demo of some features of Corel 8
would prove that. Completely. And Totally.

Karl Hawkes

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <4830695...@st-and.demon.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf <jcgl@st-
and.demon.co.uk> writes

>However, have you overlooked the excellent '!Compo'?...
>
>Compo will save as a GIF with a user-selected transparent background.
>It will load ArtWorks files (with anti-aliasing) as well as drawfiles and
>allow you to manipulate them in various ways (e.g. 'rub out' parts) before
>saving the result as a GIF or JPEG.

I was one of it's first customers I liked it and found it useful.
However when I got StrongARM it accounced it wouldn't no longer run on
my system beacuse my operating system was out of date. It didn't even
try to run. Clares basically forced you to ungrade at a fee whether you
wanted to or not. I delayed my upgrade.

As various PC packages do GIF and GIF animations in one program instead
of a series of two or more programs, I haven't found to need upgrade my
copy of compo. In actual fact CorelXARA probably has all the features of
Compo included within it, as well as all the features of ArtWorks.

Ian Molton

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <ant0208080b0%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>,

Astute Graphics <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just gone and visited your (as-yet-unfinished) Zenta website to see
> all these brilliant effects. I'm afraid to tell you that I could have
> done them all on a standard RiscPC when it came out four years ago with
> a standard copy of ArtWorks (and InterGIF, if it was around then).

I think !Draw would have managed those pretty easily... they arent even
dithered.

Adrian Jackson

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Karl Hawkes wrote:
> I currently have real and development versions of all of main three
> acorn browser, compared to the PC they are non-standard (even among
> themselves) and often won't access the hottest sites.

Um. Non-standard compared to a PC? Which PC browser are you thinking
of? The one that refuses to conform to the Java standards or the one
that is famous for creating non-standard tags to force people to use
it? You'll find that Acorn browsers such as (picking an example out
of the air) Browse are *at least* as standard as them by any
definition that counts.

As for the 'hottest' sites, any site which is sufficiently badly
designed to *require* the latest implementation of Java (thus
locking out many people, including most Netscape users), JavaScript
(again not implemented by a lot of browsers on a lot of platforms,
and very rarely used well) or some form of non-standard plugin
such as Shockwave or RealPlayer doesn't deserve to be visited. I'd
like to put in a vote for the Sony Europe site as worst site of
all time, while we're at it. :-)

> In fact it's a pain in the neck designing an acorn compatiable
> site,

Garbage. Total and unmitigated. To design an Acorn compatible
site you write good HTML to a reasonable standard (3.2 will
work nicely on all browsers), and provide alternatives to any
Java applets and Javascript (if you don't know how to do this
any halfway decent HTML tutorial will tell you) and you're
Acorn-compatible. It's normally advisable to provide a frameless
alternative (not necessary for Acorn browsers, but a lot of
people don't like frames anyway, and there are still a lot of
Lynx users out there). Oh, and ALT tags, which are notably
missing from http://www.zenta.demon.co.uk in a number of places
are considered good form, and are in fact required in HTML 4.0.

> we have had no time for our own site recently, and the site
> that there I knocked up in 2 hours for the christmas promotion.

It's not too bad. Add ALT text and HEIGHT/WIDTH info for the
images and a DOCTYPE and it'd validate as good HTML. :-) Better
than most people who think Acorns can't handle valid HTML...

> I've used PC to greatly help in creating work for NC related
> contract work.

Lovely. I tend to use a PC and Acorn side by side for web design
work. There are some things which are easier to do on the PC,
but you tend to pay for it with larger pages containing much
redundant information and frequently bad HTML unless you keep
the situation under control by editing by hand occasionally.

Adrian

Peter Smith

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In message <48301fd11...@staffs.ac.uk>
Ian Molton <mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:

> In article <r5VAECA1...@senora.demon.co.uk>,
> Alan K Baker <brai...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > My PC does what I want, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?
>
> You dont think PC's are broke?

If it isn't, you obviously aren't fiddling enough ;-)

Peter

--
To reply by mail, change .com to .co in my email address
51 things to do in a lift....

Ian Molton

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <9l6EwoAH...@zenta.demon.co.uk>,

Karl Hawkes <ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I currently have real and development versions of all of main three
> acorn browser, compared to the PC they are non-standard (even among
> themselves)

Rubbish. you are an idiot.

> In fact it's a pain in the neck designing an acorn compatiable site, we

> have had no time for our own site recently, and the site that there I

> knocked up in 2 hours for the christmas promotion. I've used PC to

> greatly help in creating work for NC related contract work.

I am not impressed with zenta.

Ian Molton

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <61CF02Am...@zenta.demon.co.uk>,

Karl Hawkes <ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> As various PC packages do GIF and GIF animations in one program instead
> of a series of two or more programs,

Err. isnt one of the beauties of RiscOS the fact we use several /small/
programs, loaded as we need them, rather than a 300 GB program, most of the
features of which never get used?

idiot.

Tony Houghton

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In message <QNuP6RAVMxI1Ew$5...@zenta.demon.co.uk>
Karl Hawkes <ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> One day while I was designing Web graphics somebody pointed out that
> with CorelXara you could select an object and then save that selection
> straight out as a gif, with a mask if required, I became interested.

> Previously in Artworks screen grabbing an object and then cropping it in
> Paint and then converting it to a GIF was the only way to do this.
> CorelXara saved me hours.

ArtToSpr would save you lots of time there - it altogether cuts out the
need for !Paint in this process, which has to be a good thing :-). It
should be OK for me to re-release it when the next Acorn User comes out,
thanks to the AU PD scheme.

--
\_________________
\ http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/

Henry Helliwell

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <48308a8a8...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton

<URL:mailto:mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <61CF02Am...@zenta.demon.co.uk>,
> Karl Hawkes <ka...@zenta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > As various PC packages do GIF and GIF animations in one program instead
> > of a series of two or more programs,
>
> Err. isnt one of the beauties of RiscOS the fact we use several /small/
> programs, loaded as we need them, rather than a 300 GB program, most of the
> features of which never get used?

Most definatly (-: I can still go online, talk on Oaktree (ok, maybe not
ATM, for those who know why (-;), and trawl the web all at the same time
on only an A3020 with 4Mb. This machine is now 7 years old (?) and although
I can't run the high end graphics programs or the latest 3D games or whatever
I can still run the majority of software that has been written in the last
year or so with the minimum of difficulty.

ATM, I'd really not like to see 10Mb+ programs that do the job of a load of
smaller more avaliable ones, (cheifly because I don't have 10Mb) because,
useually, the smaller ones do a much better job, and can be used by those
with little RAM or slower processors.

|_| _ ._ ._ |_| _ ||o _ || he...@stohelit.demon.co.uk
| |(/_| || \/ | |(/_|||\/\/(/_|| http://www.stohelit.demon.co.uk
/ On IRC and Oaktree as RISCy

Allan Eagle

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In message <483092ED3F%pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk>
Peter Smith <pol...@ursaminr.demon.com.uk> wrote:

> In message <48301fd11...@staffs.ac.uk>
> Ian Molton <mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <r5VAECA1...@senora.demon.co.uk>,
> > Alan K Baker <brai...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > My PC does what I want, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?
> >
> > You dont think PC's are broke?
> >

> If it isn't, you obviously aren't fiddling enough ;-)

Nah. He just hasn't switched it on yet 8)

--
Allan Eagle (Lista)
a.j....@cableinet.co.uk

Watch out for my RISC OS QuakeSpy alternative.
Get your sample at http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/a.j.eagle/dl.cgi?qserv

Mik Towse

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <3523BE...@dai.ed.ac.uk>,

Adrian Jackson <adr...@dai.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Lovely. I tend to use a PC and Acorn side by side for web design
> work.
So do I. But usually only to ensure Netscrape and Implorer renders it
correctly.

--
Mik Towse mailto:xe...@argonet.co.uk
http://www.argonet.co.uk/business/xemik/

Open Hailing frequencies."This is Dawn from Acme Doubleglazing"

Mik Towse

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <116...@goatly.demon.co.uk>,
Bruce Goatly <br...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Patrick Herborn <p...@nanobyte.demon.com.uk> wrote:

> > Nope, since there isn't a B prefix.... the prefixes are :

> > k kilo (1E3)
> > M mega (1E6)
> > G giga (1E9)
> > T tera (1E12)
> > P peta (1E15)
> > E exa (1E18)

> ... and in about 1992 the BIPM added:

> Z zetta (1E21)
> Y yotta (1E24)

> I kid you not!
Scotched me then. I tought 'extra' was next.

<WIN95> Totally expected error </WIN95>

Adam Juniper

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Why, the moment anyone dares suggest that things are not going entirely
Acorn's way in the market, does everyone in the group leap down their
throats?

Now it has to be said that this particular attack was especially cowardly
(not leaving a return address for irate e-mail or letter bombs) but, at the
end of the day what no one wants to admit is that...

..He/She HAS A POINT.

Lets be honest, it's been a long time since there has been a major software
package released that is anything like the quality of modern PC package.

There are hundreds of techincalities that can raised in Acorn's defence but
that will not help anyone. There are even some applications, noteably
primary education, where Acorn's do quite well but, and here is a very big
but, the software (and even OS) simply are not as good. Where is a really
viable alternative to Microsoft Office?

Everyone who uses an Acorn for the same reasons thounds of others use PCs
must at some point have been jealous of PC users. I'd say this is why we're
all so quick to defend our machines. A good parallel would racism; the poor
whites trying to rise from the bottom of society's pile were always more
viciously racist than those further up the scale.

Think about it and next time just don't argue the point. It really is not
worth it. Acorn users are, or should be, all aware of the relative merits
and market status of thier machines.

--
**** Adam Juniper
***____________________________________________________________________________

Daniel Pead

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <48308a8a8...@staffs.ac.uk>, Ian Molton
<mh12...@cr10m.staffs.ac.uk> writes

>> As various PC packages do GIF and GIF animations in one program instead
>> of a series of two or more programs,
>
>Err. isnt one of the beauties of RiscOS the fact we use several /small/
>programs, loaded as we need them, rather than a 300 GB program, most of the
>features of which never get used?

Excellent principle... but when someone comes along and writes a bit of
bloatware that knocks a couple of steps out of a repetitive task (like
preparing GIFs for the WWW) and saves serious time, its easy to lapse.

--
Daniel Pead
Email: d...@octpen.demon.co.uk WWW: http://www.octpen.demon.co.uk/

Ian Molton

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

In article <ant021830965d*q...@stohelit.demon.co.uk>,

Henry Helliwell <he...@stohelit.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> ATM, I'd really not like to see 10Mb+ programs that do the job of a load
> of smaller more avaliable ones, (cheifly because I don't have 10Mb)
> because, useually, the smaller ones do a much better job, and can be
> used by those with little RAM or slower processors.

Not only that, but the small ones can be used in (generally) more different
combinations.

LShaping

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

> > >These series of posting are anonymous, I don't want be spammed
> > >or attacked as a result. Potential acorn customers should
> > >consider the points I raise before spending lots of money on a
> > >RiscPC2 which will soon be redundant hardware.

> > Hmmm, This is going to stir the pot somewhat...
> Yup.
>
> Compared to s**t hot Pc's Risc Pc's are a little old, but not redundant
> because they live long and stay well. Pc's, on the other hand, have a
> `Completely obsolete after 6 months guarentee`, are incredibly hard to
> use/repair (at least hardware-wise) and make pathetic NC machines.
>
> I have never, personally, met any non-computer user (Or long-time
terminal
> user) who has found it easy to aquaint themselves with a Pc. Acorn yes,
> Pc no.
>
> The RPC2 is only expected to be redundant by those pessimists who are not
> looking at the workings of the Acorn platform and why it's so good.
> Pc's ARE obsolete 6 months after their release because they are
dinosaurs;
> Ok, dinosaurs with roller-scates, jet-packs, ski's, boxing-gloves,
floats,
> rockets, wings etc. all glued on as kludges to help them go faster and
> better. But they are still dinosaurs. Acorn technology is new and
better
> thought out.
> Matt. W.

Just visiting :)
I just stuck a very old 40 megabyte disk on my PC. Backed up some files
and removed the disk. I have almost a complete set of parts for a second
PC. They came from all different places and they all work together. Later
today, I am going to buy a 56k modem. I am connecting at 28.8 everytime
and my current ISP supports 56k. I will put my 28.8 with the collection.
You might disagree, but PC hardware is cheap, fast, and (if you know what
you are doing) very interchangeable.

It is loading more messages.