These 79gbp Bush Internet Boxes

Francis William Oldroyd

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these boxes in
conjunction with a Risc PC ?.

Is it possible to network them for the transfer of software and data?.
Is it possible to write programs for them in BASIC ?.
Could the web browser and other software on the box communicate with
the Risc PC ?.

Bill

--
oldie...@argonet.co.uk -- Dan,Rob,Bill,Celia
We use an Acorn StrongARM RiscPC and we live in Tadcaster, UK.

John Cartmell

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
In article <4a1ec3ee61...@argonet.co.uk>,

Francis William Oldroyd <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these boxes in
> conjunction with a Risc PC ?.

> Is it possible to network them for the transfer of software and data?.
> Is it possible to write programs for them in BASIC ?.
> Could the web browser and other software on the box communicate with
> the Risc PC ?.

When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped ROMS and
introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated internet suite to the
Risc PC...

.. write and explain it all to us!

[surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a post
mortem ;-)]

--
John Cartmell - Manchester, UK

Stuart Halliday

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
In article <4a1eceb...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>, jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk
says...

> When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped ROMS and
> introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated internet suite to the
> Risc PC...

I'm surprised no one has bought one, ripped it apart and copied the ROMs on
to one of the binary Acorn newsgroups.

No doubt someone then would have fun making that version of NCfresco work on
RISC OS.

We could all do with a laugh looking at ANTs latest efforts.

Indeed I'm surprised that not one of the RISC OS magazines have bothered to
review it in detail.

--
Stuart Halliday
Acorn Cybervillage

Rob Kendrick

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
In message <MPG.147f611d4...@158.152.254.79>
Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid>
wrote:

<snip>

> No doubt someone then would have fun making that version of NCfresco work
> on RISC OS.
>
> We could all do with a laugh looking at ANTs latest efforts.

You'd be surprised.

--
Rob Kendrick, http://www.digital-scurf.org/

It is better to be a fool than to be dead.

Sandy Morton

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
I know that this is probably in the wrong ng but I equally know that a few
Glaswegians post and lurk here. I am trying to locate a company callled
Streetwise Communications in Glasgow. I had registered a url with them
some time ago and now wish to transfer it to another user (free). Phone
number for Streetwise is/was 0141 8841617 and url is/was
http://www.streetwisecommunications.co.uk. To get it nearly correct I am
using a RiscPC600 with Pluto and Oregano!

--
sandymillport
on the bicycle island

Francis William Oldroyd

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00

John Cartmell <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a1ec3ee61...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Francis William Oldroyd <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these
> > boxes in conjunction with a Risc PC ?.
> When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped
> ROMS and introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated
> internet suite to the Risc PC...

> .. write and explain it all to us!
I will, but I wondered if anyone had been there first :-).

> [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a
> post mortem ;-)]

The 16 day money back offer doesn't apply to this - this may be due to
the arrangement with the Virgin ISP rather than the equipment.

SAS Squaddie

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00

"Francis William Oldroyd" <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <4a1eceb...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>,
> John Cartmell <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <4a1ec3ee61...@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Francis William Oldroyd <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these
> > > boxes in conjunction with a Risc PC ?.
> > When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped
> > ROMS and introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated
> > internet suite to the Risc PC...
>
> > .. write and explain it all to us!
> I will, but I wondered if anyone had been there first :-).
>
> > [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a
> > post mortem ;-)]
> The 16 day money back offer doesn't apply to this - this may be due to
> the arrangement with the Virgin ISP rather than the equipment.

This Bush internet thing is getting everywhere. One was won on the Graham
Norton show last week, and now my local paper (the Times and Citizen) have
one to give away in a draw...

Steve S.

Richard Adkins

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
In message <4a1eceb...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>
John Cartmell <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4a1ec3ee61...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Francis William Oldroyd <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these boxes in
> > conjunction with a Risc PC ?.
>

> > Is it possible to network them for the transfer of software and data?.
> > Is it possible to write programs for them in BASIC ?.
> > Could the web browser and other software on the box communicate with

> > the Risc PC ?.

> When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped ROMS and
> introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated internet suite to the
> Risc PC...
>
> . write and explain it all to us!
>

> [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a post
> mortem ;-)]

I await the results with interest.

Now how about the TV version? Maybe a cheap RISC OS iMac type clone in the
making (with appropriate fiddling - soldering irons at the ready!)

TTFN
--
Richard Adkins

Richard Walker

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
"John Cartmell" <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and
> done a post mortem ;-)]

I've been meaning to do this ever since they appeared.

Also, someone is selling one at work for 40ukp. I'm *seriously*
tempted to do such a thing... prolly for Archive magazine.

I would have preferred Acorn User, and they could have paid for
the box, but I don't think they do that kind of thing at the mo...

On a technical point of view, I don't think it's possible.
Anyone who had taken a NetStation to bits will know that the
modem is just a podule, you can stick in a special Ethernet
card, and bingo, an A7000+. I think the Bush device is much
more 'hard-wired'.

There was a NetStation sitting in the bin at work the other
day... it's in my desk drawer now, and I intend to play with
it at some point! :-)

Richard.

Dave Cooper

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In article <DejR5.1744$3k.3...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "SAS

Squaddie" <st...@Xsassquad.com> wrote:

> This Bush internet thing is getting everywhere. One was won on the Graham
> Norton show last week, and now my local paper (the Times and Citizen) have
> one to give away in a draw...
>
> Steve S.

Selling them in Asda as well.

Regards, Dave C.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /StrongArm RiscPc (RISCOS4) PcCard ZFC & MAUG
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ |/RINGS:-Acorn,SFReview & Classical Music.Also
_________________________/Sci-Fi,DTP,Backdrops.Email d...@argonet.co.uk
Homepage-inc.freephotos http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/dac/index.html

Dave Cooper

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In article <4a1f4978f...@anon.demon.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
<spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

I'm only getting rid of them because I need the
> space (and will buy smaller ones).
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ohh! /Two/ Bush TVs eh? :-)

Well done Paul!

Tim Howarth

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In message <na.f169f94a...@argonet.co.uk>
Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4a1f4978f...@anon.demon.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> >
> I'm only getting rid of them because I need the
> > space (and will buy smaller ones).
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >

> Ohh! /Two/ Bush TVs eh? :-)

Anything to do with George DoubleYr Bush ?

--
___
|im ---- ARM Powered ----

Sendu Bala

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
On 18 Nov, Paul Vigay wrote:

> On 18 Nov, Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Ohh! /Two/ Bush TVs eh? :-)
>

> > Well done Paul!
>
> Hmm, not quite that small though! Although I might get one for the bedroom
> or something - but the TV is more than 79ukp I was looking at them today
> and they're 169ukp which is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

PC Format (December) did a review of this Bush stuff. If you've already
got a bedroom tv you can just buy the 79ukp box, otherwise it's the 14inch
tv, which may not be such a good idea...

"The resolution of the 15-inch TV we used was too low to read the text
typed in answer to the [setup] questions. It just became a blur, so we
couldn't check for spelling or typing erros"

Notwithstanding their clueless resolution comment, this is _really_
dissapointing. It's their only critisism but surely the area that a
RISC OS based anything should excel at - the onscreen representation
of text? BOOOO!

"The whole system runs from ROM on a RISC processor and doesn't use
Windows, Epoc, Symbian or any of the other well-known small machine
operating systems."

LOL!
They really went out of their way, but the succesfully managed not
to mention RISC OS once :)

And a link incase anyone wants it: http://www.bushinternet.net

--
Sendu Bala se...@sbsnet.screaming.net

Tori Amos, The Sopranos, DNA and my SA RPC
"If life gets any better than this, I'll be genuinely surprised"

Campbell Wishart

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In article <4a1efd...@sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk>, Sandy Morton

<a...@sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I know that this is probably in the wrong ng but I equally know that a few
> Glaswegians post and lurk here. I am trying to locate a company callled
> Streetwise Communications in Glasgow. I had registered a url with them

Two questions:
1) Are you talking about a domain name (something.co.uk)
2) Do you own the domain name (ie the people who registered it for you
didn't register it for themselves and let you use it.)

If it's yes on both counts then you can just tell Nominet (IIRC).
Alternatively give your registration certificate to your friend and have
them reregister it when the time comes redirecting the address in the mean
time.

HTH

Campbell

--
___ _ _ _
/ (_) | | | | | |
| __, _ _ _ _ | | _ | | | | @argonet.co.uk
| / | / |/ |/ | |/ \_|/ \_|/ |/ |/
\___/\_/|_/ | | |_/|__/ \_/ |__/|__/|__/
/|
\|

John Cartmell

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
In article <4a1f81009...@anon.demon.co.uk>, Paul Vigay

<spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> On 18 Nov, Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Ohh! /Two/ Bush TVs eh? :-)

> > Well done Paul!

> Hmm, not quite that small though! Although I might get one for the
> bedroom or something - but the TV is more than 79ukp I was looking at
> them today and they're 169ukp which is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

> I also noticed that they do say that they use RISC OS on the side of the
> box, but no mention of RISC OS on the display unit (in Argos) though. :-(
Not even after you'd gone past with that poster ready prepared with
double-sided sticky tape? ;-)

Rob Kendrick

Nov 18, 2000, 7:05:57 PM11/18/00
In message <4a1ec3ee61...@argonet.co.uk>

Francis William Oldroyd <oldie...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Please can anyone advise whether it is possible to use these boxes in
> conjunction with a Risc PC ?.
>
> Is it possible to network them for the transfer of software and data?.
> Is it possible to write programs for them in BASIC ?.
> Could the web browser and other software on the box communicate with
> the Risc PC ?.

I've just thought... it might be possible to use a 'null-telco' device.
It is basically a box with two phone sockets, and will deliver a dial-tone,
and will connect the two sockets together, no matter what number is dialed.
I'm told they use such devices at rock concerts to send faxes between
different parts of the stage, because a phone wouldn't work because of the
noise :)

So, what you could have is the TV plugged into one socket, and a Linux box
or similar plugged into the other socket, then have the Bush TV dial up to
the Linux box. You might even be able to use Justin Fletcher's !Helener
to do this, I wouldn't know.

Just an idea.

Procrastination - the art of keeping up with yesterday.

David J. Ruck

Nov 18, 2000, 7:20:24 PM11/18/00
On 18 Nov 2000 Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:
> PC Format (December) did a review of this Bush stuff. If you've already
> got a bedroom tv you can just buy the 79ukp box, otherwise it's the 14inch
> tv, which may not be such a good idea...
>
> "The resolution of the 15-inch TV we used was too low to read the text
> typed in answer to the [setup] questions. It just became a blur, so we
> couldn't check for spelling or typing erros"

A typical 14" TV has a resoltion as low as 350 pixels horizontally, typically
around 450. If websites stuck to using the configured standard font size for
their text this would not be a problem, but many sizes override the users
choives with the font size tag (and CSS but Fresco doesn't support this), to
produce micrscopically small text. This is just as much a problem for me
viewing on a 17" monitor at 1600x1200.

> Notwithstanding their clueless resolution comment, this is _really_
> dissapointing. It's their only critisism but surely the area that a
> RISC OS based anything should excel at - the onscreen representation
> of text? BOOOO!

The onscreen appearance of the anti-aliased display would look better than
using PC non-aa bitmaps (you'd get apalling interlace twitter), but you cant
get round that fact there just inst enough pixels and badwidth on a TV set
to cope with this. Its no coincidnce that tellytext is only 40 characters
wide as that is all that can be done with clarity on all sets.

> "The whole system runs from ROM on a RISC processor and doesn't use
> Windows, Epoc, Symbian or any of the other well-known small machine
> operating systems."
>
> LOL!
> They really went out of their way, but the succesfully managed not
> to mention RISC OS once :)

But consumers dont care, it either works well or it doesn't. I really hope
its the former, as then we can say RISC OS computers, runs the well known
OS found on "the Set thats on the Net".

---druck

--
|\/|o _|| _ _ _| _
The ARM Club | ||(_||(_|| |(_|_\ Show, 2nd December 2000

Sendu Bala

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On 19 Nov, David J. Ruck wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2000 Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:
> > PC Format (December) did a review of this Bush stuff. If you've already
> > got a bedroom tv you can just buy the 79ukp box, otherwise it's the 14inch
> > tv, which may not be such a good idea...
> >
> > "The resolution of the 15-inch TV we used was too low to read the text
> > typed in answer to the [setup] questions. It just became a blur, so we
> > couldn't check for spelling or typing erros"
>
> A typical 14" TV has a resoltion as low as 350 pixels horizontally, typically
> around 450. If websites stuck to using the configured standard font size for
> their text this would not be a problem, but many sizes override the users
> choives with the font size tag (and CSS but Fresco doesn't support this), to
> produce micrscopically small text. This is just as much a problem for me
> viewing on a 17" monitor at 1600x1200.

Ah, so it's Bush's stupidity then? You see the review comment above doesn't
refer to text on a website, but rather text in a setup window where they
would have had complete control over the text size.

One other critisism they had was that it just 'ignores' all sound and video
on the net. Why so? Video I can perhaps understand, what with there being few
(no?) streaming formats that RISC OS can handle, but surely sound isn't a
problem?

David J. Ruck

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On 19 Nov 2000 Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:
> Ah, so it's Bush's stupidity then? You see the review comment above doesn't
> refer to text on a website, but rather text in a setup window where they
> would have had complete control over the text size.

I would have thought that the standard desktop font of 12pt Hommerton Medium
would have been legible, or have the configured it to be something else.

> One other critisism they had was that it just 'ignores' all sound and video
> on the net. Why so? Video I can perhaps understand, what with there being few
> (no?) streaming formats that RISC OS can handle, but surely sound isn't a
> problem?

The ARM7500 doesn't have enough power for most of the video formats even if
we had software that could play them. Sound is possible using WSS's !SoundPI
plug in, but thats only for embedded WAV's, and if you mentioned it had
sound capability people would be expecting it to play MP3's and Real Audio,
which again isn't possible on an ARM7500.

The next generation which will undoubtedly be based on a higher performance
chips such as the ARM10 series or even XScale will be a different story, with
plenty of power to run video and audio formats, so we should see some
software to come with it too.

Rob Kendrick

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <d117e51f...@druck.freeuk.net>

David J. Ruck <dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2000 Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:
> > Ah, so it's Bush's stupidity then? You see the review comment above
> > doesn't refer to text on a website, but rather text in a setup window
> > where they would have had complete control over the text size.
>
> I would have thought that the standard desktop font of 12pt Hommerton
> Medium would have been legible, or have the configured it to be something
> else.
>
> > One other critisism they had was that it just 'ignores' all sound and
> > video on the net. Why so? Video I can perhaps understand, what with there
> > being few (no?) streaming formats that RISC OS can handle, but surely
> > sound isn't a problem?
>
> The ARM7500 doesn't have enough power for most of the video formats even if
> we had software that could play them. Sound is possible using WSS's

> !SoundPI plug in, but thats only for embedded WAV's, and if you mentioned
> it had sound capability people would be expecting it to play MP3's and Real
> Audio, which again isn't possible on an ARM7500.

Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500? Its
more than possible; it just sounds crap. IIRC, ARM have had a 40MHz ARM7
playing an MP3.

Cheers,

Life is a practical joke.

Theo Markettos

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
John Cartmell <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a post
> mortem ;-)]

Not quite - but I pulled the Argos display apart while I was waiting in the
queue :-)

A cursory glance at the back of the box reveals it has (IIRC) SCART,
parallel, phone (RJ11) and 2.1mm power jack sockets. And an IR photodiode
in the front, so since it advertises a separate (expensive) keyboard being
available, I think that's how it interfaces. Box is apparently steel, held
together by normal Phillips screws, so if anyone felt like pulling it apart
they could do it without being noticed... ;-)

Theo

--
Theo Markettos theo.ma...@cai.cam.ac.uk
Gonville and Caius College th...@markettos.org.uk

Matthew Hambley

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <bef5901f...@sbsnet.screaming.net>
Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:

[snip]

> "The whole system runs from ROM on a RISC processor and doesn't use
> Windows, Epoc, Symbian or any of the other well-known small machine
> operating systems."

Wow, we're really at the cutting edge of investigative journalism here.
Symbian, as we all know, is a development group, not an OS at all. Plus
it is of little consequence what OS an embeded system is using.

--
(\/)atthew Hambley ----------------\ If something's worth doing it's worth
\ doing badly until you can learn to

Justin Fletcher

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <8v8r9l$311$3...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>
Theo Markettos <ne...@markettos.org.uk> wrote:

> John Cartmell <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and done a post
> > mortem ;-)]
>
> Not quite - but I pulled the Argos display apart while I was waiting in the
> queue :-)
>
> A cursory glance at the back of the box reveals it has (IIRC) SCART,
> parallel, phone (RJ11) and 2.1mm power jack sockets. And an IR photodiode
> in the front, so since it advertises a separate (expensive) keyboard being
> available, I think that's how it interfaces.

IIRC, the 'keyboard' is part of the remote that you get. And a very nice
remote it is too :-)

[snip]

--
Justin Fletcher, Software engineer, Picsel Technologies
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer ]

Stuart Tyrrell

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <746acc1f4a%snow...@therealm.freeserve.co.uk>

Matthew Hambley <snow...@therealm.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Wow, we're really at the cutting edge of investigative journalism
> here. Symbian, as we all know, is a development group, not an OS at
> all. Plus it is of little consequence what OS an embeded system is
> using.

Excuse me??

I *dare* you to post that last sentence on comp.arch.embedded ;-)

Stuart.
--
Stuart Tyrrell Developments Stu...@stdevel.demon.co.uk
PO Box 183, OLDHAM. OL2 8FB http://www.stdevel.demon.co.uk

Stuart Tyrrell

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <dbe7ef1...@digital-scurf.org>
Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:

> Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500?
> Its more than possible; it just sounds crap.

I've never even seen poor renditions done on an ARM7500. OK, perhaps
if you drop the encoded rate right down, but can you *really* play
64KBit MP3's in real time - however poorly? (repeated plays of the
same buffer don't count!).

> IIRC, ARM have had a 40MHz ARM7 playing an MP3.

IIRC their ARM7 MP3 player will do the job in 29MHz. Unfortunately it
needs the thumb variant of the core (I've got a feeling that it's
UMULL that's the issue). Certainly you won't get close on a standard
ARM7 core.

James MacDonald

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <d117e51f...@druck.freeuk.net>
David J. Ruck <dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2000 Sendu Bala <se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:

[snip]

> > One other critisism they had was that it just 'ignores' all sound and
> > video on the net. Why so? Video I can perhaps understand, what with there
> > being few (no?) streaming formats that RISC OS can handle, but surely
> > sound isn't a problem?

My personal view is that embedded sound and video are Pure Evil(TM): I can
live without my ears being polluted with advertising when I go 'surfing'.

> The ARM7500 doesn't have enough power for most of the video formats even
> if we had software that could play them.

> Sound is possible using WSS's !SoundPI plug in, but thats only for embedded
> WAV's, and if you mentioned it had sound capability people would be
> expecting it to play MP3's and Real Audio, which again isn't possible on an
> ARM7500.

Real Audio is tricky due to it being a nasty proprietary piece of work:
still, if QNX could get it on their RTP platform, if someone at Bush/Pace
comes up with the necessary cash, it could be realised.

I think WSS already have, but WSS have a greater-than-normal proportion of
software that they can't release because the lawyers, rather than the
developers, say so.. :-(

As to the MP3 argument: downloading them over a modem isn't exactly fun.

However, there is no reason why the Bush device could not have supported
them: since it is an embedded design, they could easily have added a DSP
along the specifiations of the Motorola 56002 and about 256K of RAM for it,
plus appropriate RISC OS software to drive it: this would be a very
functional audio decoder and could be adapted to other formats besides MP3.

--
James MacDonald; Acorn/NeXT/Rush (TLKiaWoL!)

Please remove "-invalid" to reply to news by e-mail.
Apologies for this, but it is necessary to avoid drowning in spam :(

David J. Ruck

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On 19 Nov 2000 Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:
> Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500? Its
> more than possible; it just sounds crap. IIRC, ARM have had a 40MHz ARM7
> playing an MP3.

Its sounds crap and uses 100% of the CPU, so it your web brower is going to
grind to a hault and you will be sitting there wasting your phone bill.

For a consumer product, its better that it doesn't do something at all, than
do it badly. The user isn't going to accept playing music doesn't allow
anything else to happen - after all when you turn the volume up on the TV
the pictures doent stop.

David J. Ruck

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On 19 Nov 2000 James MacDonald <tr...@topeka.clara.co-invalid.uk> wrote:

[Sound on Bush Intenet TV's]

> However, there is no reason why the Bush device could not have supported
> them: since it is an embedded design, they could easily have added a DSP
> along the specifiations of the Motorola 56002 and about 256K of RAM for it,
> plus appropriate RISC OS software to drive it: this would be a very
> functional audio decoder and could be adapted to other formats besides MP3.

The spec of the STB components in the TV and standalone box are pared to the
very minimum to get the price down to the levels they have achived (compared
to Acoens orginal designs). Even if these components cost 50p, it probably
wont be used.

With these types of designs additonal features will only be added if it can
be done entirely in software within the reasources of the processor and
memory. As once you have written it, you can roll it out on a million boxes
without costing a penny extra.

If the current model takes off and it looks very much like it is, the next
generation which PACE are working on now, should be very exciting. And there
should be many nice software spinoffs for us RISC OS desktop users.

Richard Walker

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
"Stuart Halliday" <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> I'm surprised no one has bought one, ripped it apart and copied the ROMs on
> to one of the binary Acorn newsgroups.

The difficult part would be getting the box linked up to some writable
media. This is wasy with the NetProducts NetStation, 'cos you could
just pop an Ethernet card in - but the Bush box...? Hmm...

> No doubt someone then would have fun making that version of NCfresco work on
> RISC OS.

Prolly quite simple to do...

> We could all do with a laugh looking at ANTs latest efforts.

I'm not so sure.

It *must* be better than the old NetProducts box, or Bush wouldn't bother
to make it. But it can't be that good, as it's a 1996-based 56MHz box.

> Indeed I'm surprised that not one of the RISC OS magazines have bothered to
> review it in detail.

Are you? Let me see...

Acorn User? Innovative and in-depth reviews? No.

Archive? No, because they don't pay for articles. If, say, I bought
my own box, fiddled, and wrote an article, then Archive certainly could
publish it. It's certainly an 'Archive-type' article.

Anyone want to donate 40ukp to this project? I'll do it for that...

Richard.

Rob Kendrick

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <45b6f81f...@druck.freeuk.net>

David J. Ruck <dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2000 Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:
> > Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500? Its
> > more than possible; it just sounds crap. IIRC, ARM have had a 40MHz ARM7
> > playing an MP3.
>
> Its sounds crap and uses 100% of the CPU, so it your web brower is going to
> grind to a hault and you will be sitting there wasting your phone bill.

I've heard a 40MHz ARM710 play a 128kbps MP3 using 80% of the CPU time, and
sound roughly half as good as AMPlayer (Althought I know that is hard to
measure). But please don't say that it is not possible, because it is.

Cheers,

Procrastination - the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Michael Barnes

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <MPG.147f611d4...@158.152.254.79>
Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4a1eceb...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>, jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk
> says...

> > When you've bought one, taken it apart and networked it, swapped ROMS and
> > introduced decent software to the Bush and an updated internet suite to
> > the Risc PC...
>

> I'm surprised no one has bought one, ripped it apart and copied the ROMs on
> to one of the binary Acorn newsgroups.

Trying to think up a practical use for alt.binaries.warez.riscos ?

--
One OS to fool them all, one OS to bind them,
One OS to bring them all, and with jargon blind them.

* http://I.am/Michael.Michael *

James MacDonald

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <76d4192...@digital-scurf.org>
Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:

> I've heard a 40MHz ARM710 play a 128kbps MP3 using 80% of the CPU time, and
> sound roughly half as good as AMPlayer (Althought I know that is hard to
> measure).

I'm sure it's possible to play back MPEG audio on an embedded system using
Xaudio's libraries and tweaked quality settings, but I don't think it's
possible on anything running RISC OS bar an SA RPC.

If the Newton MP 2000/2100 actually supported ARM code applications (instead,
I think that they ran some kind of bytecode, which was a travesty) then it
would have been pretty sweet as a portable audio player when coupled with a
PCMCIA ATA drive.

> But please don't say that it is not possible, because it is.

It may be possible, because it might be. :-)

James MacDonald

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In message <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>
"Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> "Stuart Halliday" <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote
> in message news:MPG.147f611d4...@158.152.254.79...

> > I'm surprised no one has bought one, ripped it apart and copied the ROMs

> > on to one of the binary Acorn newsgroups.

> The difficult part would be getting the box linked up to some writable
> media.

> This is wasy with the NetProducts NetStation, 'cos you could just pop an
> Ethernet card in - but the Bush box...?

Take one null-modem cable, one copy of pppd, and fake out the dialler.

Then, hack something up with a web server to use PUT if possible to upload
some files from the local filesystem. Oregano can do this, but you have to
drag-and-drop from the Filer, so..

Alternatively, someone with the appropriate skills (such as the
Electronics department of your local university) might be able to connect
probes to the pins of the ROMs and dump them that way.

That's probably the better option: there's no point in looking for things
that aren't there.

> > No doubt someone then would have fun making that version of NCfresco work
> > on RISC OS.

> Prolly quite simple to do...

I think that even if this is accomplished, it'll still be unstable, because
the (SA) RPC is inherently unstable due to dodgy engineering - it's a poor
state of affairs indeed when users need to remove SMD components from their
motherboard to alleviate timing problems.

David J. Ruck

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On 19 Nov 2000 Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:
> I've heard a 40MHz ARM710 play a 128kbps MP3 using 80% of the CPU time, and
> sound roughly half as good as AMPlayer (Althought I know that is hard to
> measure). But please don't say that it is not possible, because it is.

That machine would have had VRAM, the ARM7500 machines dont. In a typical
mode that would be used for TV browsing (768x576x16bit) there just wouldn't
be enough processor bandwidth to do this.

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <8b31dc1f...@sbsnet.screaming.net>, Sendu Bala
<URL:mailto:se...@sbsnet.screaming.net> wrote:

> One other critisism they had was that it just 'ignores' all sound
> and video on the net. Why so?

Cost.

--
TTFN, Andrew (on behalf of myself, not my employer).

"Hold tight, lad, and think of Lancashire Hotpot!" - A Grand Day Out

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <d117e51f...@druck.freeuk.net>, David J. Ruck
<URL:mailto:dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> [...] would be expecting it to play MP3's and Real Audio, which

> again isn't possible on an ARM7500.

Yes, it is. The floating point hardware makes it possible.

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <dbe7ef1...@digital-scurf.org>, Rob Kendrick
<URL:mailto:r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:

> Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500?

Indeed.

> Its more than possible; it just sounds crap.

You must be doing something wrong.

Rob Kendrick

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In message <cb8e1e20...@druck.freeuk.net>

David J. Ruck <dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2000 Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:
> > I've heard a 40MHz ARM710 play a 128kbps MP3 using 80% of the CPU time,
> > and sound roughly half as good as AMPlayer (Althought I know that is hard
> > to measure). But please don't say that it is not possible, because it
> > is.
>
> That machine would have had VRAM, the ARM7500 machines dont. In a typical
> mode that would be used for TV browsing (768x576x16bit) there just wouldn't
> be enough processor bandwidth to do this.

That wasn't the point I was making, however.

Work is the only dirty four-lettered word in the language.

Richard Walker

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
"James MacDonald" <tr...@topeka.clara.co-invalid.uk> wrote in message

> In message <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>
> "Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > This is easy with the NetProducts NetStation, 'cos you could just pop an

> > Ethernet card in - but the Bush box...?
>
> Take one null-modem cable, one copy of pppd, and fake out the dialler.

Where will you plug the null-modem cable? The Bush box doesn't
have a serial port, just like the NetStation.

> Then, hack something up with a web server to use PUT if possible to upload
> some files from the local filesystem. Oregano can do this, but you have to
> drag-and-drop from the Filer, so..

Filer? In the Bush box? I don't think so.

Richard.

Tony Houghton

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> Acorn User? Innovative and in-depth reviews? No.
>
> Archive? No, because they don't pay for articles.

Neither do Acorn User any more. Or even send you a copy of the magazine.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

David J. Ruck

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
On 20 Nov 2000 "A.Hodgkinson" <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <d117e51f...@druck.freeuk.net>, David J. Ruck
> <URL:mailto:dr...@freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > [...] would be expecting it to play MP3's and Real Audio, which
> > again isn't possible on an ARM7500.
>
> Yes, it is. The floating point hardware makes it possible.

Well where are all the software MP3 players for RiscStations then?

Playback routines are prediminately integer, and the ARM PFA doesn't have
anywhere near the FP throughput needed.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Rob Kendrick

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In message <slrn91j8v...@realh.co.uk>

I'm told they don't even pay people to read it anymore.

Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do.

Michael Rozdoba

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <53729e2...@digital-scurf.org>, Rob Kendrick

<r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:
> In message <slrn91j8v...@realh.co.uk> {tony}@realh.co.uk (Tony
> Houghton) wrote:

> > In <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Richard
> > Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Acorn User? Innovative and in-depth reviews? No.
> > >
> > > Archive? No, because they don't pay for articles.
> >
> > Neither do Acorn User any more. Or even send you a copy of the
> > magazine.

> I'm told they don't even pay people to read it anymore.

This is getting a little harsh, isn't it?

--
_ _
Michael Rozdoba ICQ: 15835336 |_| |_ | |_| i'm trapped | | |

Matthew Hambley

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In message <4A1FFCE1CF%Stu...@stdevel.demon.co.uk>
Stuart Tyrrell <Stu...@stdevel.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <746acc1f4a%snow...@therealm.freeserve.co.uk>
> Matthew Hambley <snow...@therealm.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > Wow, we're really at the cutting edge of investigative journalism
> > here. Symbian, as we all know, is a development group, not an OS at
> > all. Plus it is of little consequence what OS an embeded system is
> > using.
>
> Excuse me??
>
> I *dare* you to post that last sentence on comp.arch.embedded ;-)

OK, having worked on embeded systems I know that the OS *is* important.
What I meant was that it is of little consequence to the user. Sorry for
the confusion.

Kevin Bracey

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In message <dbe7ef1...@digital-scurf.org>
Rob Kendrick <r...@digital-scurf.org> wrote:

> Why is it people think its not possible to play MP3s on an ARM7500? Its
> more than possible; it just sounds crap. IIRC, ARM have had a 40MHz ARM7
> playing an MP3.

No. They've got an ARM7M playing MP3s. A very different issue.

Pace Micro Technology plc Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom WWW: http://www.pace.co.uk/

Richard Walker

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
"Tony Houghton" <{tony}@realh.co.uk> wrote in message news:slrn91j8v...@realh.co.uk...

> In <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > Acorn User? Innovative and in-depth reviews? No.
> >
> > Archive? No, because they don't pay for articles.
>
> Neither do Acorn User any more. Or even send you a copy of the magazine.

Yes, I heard - and found it quite concerning. :-/

Richard.

nk

Nov 21, 2000, 7:14:33 PM11/21/00
where can i get www. details of this system - I know of someone who
wants cheap simple access..could by ideal

NK

Paul Vigay

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
On 22 Nov, nk <n...@fargonet.co.uk> wrote:
> where can i get www. details of this system - I know of someone who
> wants cheap simple access..could by ideal

For cheap internet access (plus hours of entertainment) I'd recommend getting
a Sega Dreamcast. It's the only next-generation games console that comes with
internet access as standard, plus the games are better than the PS2 (which
isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

--
Paul Vigay __\\|//__ RISC OS Programming,
(` o-o ') Internet Consultancy

Do you have anything worth living for?

Andy Piper

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Paul Vigay wrote:
> For cheap internet access (plus hours of entertainment) I'd recommend getting
> a Sega Dreamcast. It's the only next-generation games console that comes with
> internet access as standard, plus the games are better than the PS2 (which
> isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

Getting mine on Friday... 8-)

... comes with a copy of BASIC, too!

--
Andy Piper - Fareham, Hampshire (UK) - ICQ #86489434
andy....@freeuk.com | an...@unrealtournament.org

Jon

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>,

Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> plus the games are better than the PS2 (which
> isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

It says '24.11.00' on the advertising boards at Elland Road;)

Jon.

--
_
_ | |/ _ \| '_ \ jgh...@argonet.co.uk * j...@acornarcade.com
| |_| | (_) | | | | http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jghall/
\___/ \___/|_| |_| ZFC Tc* IRC #hashargonet* Run the RISC!
ICQ 21129860 Oh, I have a PeeCee as well;)

Richard Adkins

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In message <XQXR5.6164$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>
"Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> "John Cartmell" <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and
> > done a post mortem ;-)]
>
> I've been meaning to do this ever since they appeared.

Argos has a nice display of these devices. Also I got a look at the packing
as well. It clearly states that these boxes use RISC OS as the operating
system. From the spec outlined on the box it sounds a lot like an Acorn NC
of 1997 vintage!

Has anyone managed to have a look at the guts of one yet to see if similar
tricks to those which could be done with NC's and NetStations can be
achieved?

TTFN
--
Richard Adkins

Robert Richards

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <4a219e72...@argonet.co.uk>, Jon

<URL:mailto:jgh...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> > plus the games are better than the PS2 (which
> > isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).
>
> It says '24.11.00' on the advertising boards at Elland Road;)

Only if you've pre-orderded. Which we have. Whoppee!!

--
Robert Richards at home
RISC OS convert

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
<URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> [...] Sega Dreamcast [...] plus the games are better than the PS2

> (which isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

Proof positive, along with the most ridiculous 32-bit thread I've
ever read ("Wow! A 32-bit OS! That's awful, it'll kill ARM!"), that
the respected denizens of c.s.a.* have gone *completely* nuts.

I sometimes can't believe what I read in here. Ho hum.

Oliver Booth

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00

Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:MPG.147f611d4...@158.152.254.79...

> I'm surprised no one has bought one, ripped it apart and copied the ROMs
on
> to one of the binary Acorn newsgroups.
>

> No doubt someone then would have fun making that version of NCfresco work
on
> RISC OS.
>

> We could all do with a laugh looking at ANTs latest efforts.

I bought one last week, just for "fun". It isn't too bad, but unlike the
original NC it lacks keyboard, mouse and SVGA monitor ports. The IR keyboard
sensor seems rather poor too and I constantly find myself having to retype
characters that were missed.
Holding down shift on the keyboard during power-up stops the system booting
and brings up the supervisor * prompt. From there you can access BASIC, or
issue the usual * commands. In ROM there is a Zip driver (which I'm hoping
to use to copy the NC OS ROM images to disk before I take the box back! :-),
the usual ResourceFS, where !NCFresco etc. can be found and CacheFS, which
appears to be a kind of dynamically resizeable RAM disk used for storing web
pages and history. NC OS at the command line is a bit messy to say the least
if you ask me. For example, trying to load a Sprite file generates the error
'File "ScreenLoad" not found.' - the ScreenLoad module has been removed but
the OS still thinks it's there.
Unfortuantely there is no Break or Copy key on the IR keyboard, and no way
of connecting a real mouse. The mouse arrow sometimes appears while web
browsing, but it can't be moved (I'm going to try using the warfarin module
to do this). Strangest of all, the box doesn't appear have sound
capability - '*audio on' brings up a file not found error.
If there is sufficient demand, I'll put a few screenshots and pictures on my
website - let me know if you'd be interested in this.

Oliver.

Richard Nevill

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <ant23094...@ether228.cam.pace.co.uk>,

A.Hodgkinson <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> > [...] Sega Dreamcast [...] plus the games are better than the PS2
> > (which isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

> Proof positive, along with the most ridiculous 32-bit thread I've
> ever read ("Wow! A 32-bit OS! That's awful, it'll kill ARM!"), that
> the respected denizens of c.s.a.* have gone *completely* nuts.

Perhaps they are *still* nuts - where some have moved on ;-)

> I sometimes can't believe what I read in here. Ho hum.

I read, then take solace in the knowledge that it only represents a very
small fraction (probably to the point of being an unrepresentative sample)
of the ex-Acorn/Risc OS/Pace fraternity's opinions.

A more positive point is that one misconception publicly corrected can be
very useful to many of us who are never going to be experts in the
complexities of the various incarnations of the architecture.

It makes for good entertainment, though, and I get to shout at my monitor
quite often - I'm glad that I usually read c.s.a.* when I'm alone though!

Richard Nevill.

--
ric...@argonet.co.uk |VidiAudiMidiSCSIScaniPhotoGraphi|SASAUG|NKACC|ARM|ROUGOL|
|Vulcan Restoration Trust|Lightning Flying Club|GOONER at Heart|

John Cartmell

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <ant23094...@ether228.cam.pace.co.uk>,
A.Hodgkinson <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> > [...] Sega Dreamcast [...] plus the games are better than the PS2
> > (which isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

> Proof positive, along with the most ridiculous 32-bit thread I've
> ever read ("Wow! A 32-bit OS! That's awful, it'll kill ARM!"), that
> the respected denizens of c.s.a.* have gone *completely* nuts.

Unless you have a different feed from mine that was one posting!

> I sometimes can't believe what I read in here. Ho hum.

That's OK. But please don't exaggerate - we're looking for something we can
believe from the likes of A.Hodgkinson ;-))

--
John Cartmell - Manchester, UK

Stuart Halliday

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <d1a1a32...@adkins.demon.co.uk>,
Rich@*nodamnspam*.adkins.demon.co.uk says...

> In message <XQXR5.6164$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>
> "Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > "John Cartmell" <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > > [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and
> > > done a post mortem ;-)]
> >
> > I've been meaning to do this ever since they appeared.
>
> Argos has a nice display of these devices. Also I got a look at the packing
> as well. It clearly states that these boxes use RISC OS as the operating
> system. From the spec outlined on the box it sounds a lot like an Acorn NC
> of 1997 vintage!

Not surprised as Acorn were working with Amstrad for a short time on
developing a low cost version of the Acorn NC box to be launched for around
£99. IIRC Amtstrad didn't persue the idea too far.

But I guess Acorn staff made use of the idea to develop some of the ground
work for the Pace box?

Some of the negative things ppl complained about the Acorn NC box using the
Netchannel service was:

1. The web frontend was terrible at navigation. Truely awful in fact.
2. It was too slow at displaying pages.
3. It took too long to log in.
4. It only had a slow 28K modem.
5. It had a small web cache (iirc due to it only having a 8MB simm inside).
6. The on/off button at the front seemed not to work as it didn't response
quickly enough.
7. The red LED on the front was too bright for home use.

> Has anyone managed to have a look at the guts of one yet to see if similar
> tricks to those which could be done with NC's and NetStations can be
> achieved?

The 'tricks' ppl could try were mainly using an external zip drive to boot
up. I doubt the Pace version has the Argo zip program in it.

--
Stuart Halliday
Acorn Cybervillage
http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <MPG.14870963d...@158.152.254.79>, Stuart Halliday
<URL:mailto:stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > Argos has a nice display of these devices. Also I got a look at the
> > packing as well. It clearly states that these boxes use RISC OS as
> > the operating system. From the spec outlined on the box it sounds a
> > lot like an Acorn NC of 1997 vintage!
>
> Not surprised as Acorn were working with Amstrad for a short time
> on developing a low cost version of the Acorn NC box to be launched
> for around £99. IIRC Amtstrad didn't persue the idea too far.

Slight rewrite of history. The Amstrad project had nothing to do
with NCs (it was an ART project at the time when ART and ANC were
acting as wholly independent entities, mad though that may sound).
It didn't use the same browser or the same software stack.

> But I guess Acorn staff made use of the idea to develop some of the
> ground work for the Pace box?

Not quite. I may be verging on disclosing stuff I shouldn't here so
I'll not say much more, but the software stack has ended up as one
of the most stable and most clean NC stacks produced. It's still not
perfect, but what is?

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <4a21e6a...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>, John Cartmell
<URL:mailto:jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Proof positive, along with the most ridiculous 32-bit thread I've
> > ever read ("Wow! A 32-bit OS! That's awful, it'll kill ARM!"), that
> > the respected denizens of c.s.a.* have gone *completely* nuts.
>
> Unless you have a different feed from mine that was one posting!

See Mech and Druck's exchange about the XScale's impact on ARM.

Paul Vigay

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
On 23 Nov, A.Hodgkinson <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a2181d40...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> > [...] Sega Dreamcast [...] plus the games are better than the PS2
> > (which isn't available in time for Christmas anyway).

> Proof positive, along with the most ridiculous 32-bit thread I've

> ever read ("Wow! A 32-bit OS! That's awful, it'll kill ARM!"), that
> the respected denizens of c.s.a.* have gone *completely* nuts.

> I sometimes can't believe what I read in here. Ho hum.

Huh!
Have I missed something? I don't follow what you're referring to. Dreamcast
games *are* better than PS2 ones, or were you querying whether or not you
could get a PS2 before Christmas (if you haven't pre-ordered!)

--
Paul Vigay __\\|//__ RISC OS Programming,
(` o-o ') Internet Consultancy
http://www.vigay.com -----ooO-(_)-Ooo---------& Web Design----
(replace spamtrap with paul to reply by email)

Windows Break - Acorns Grow!

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <4a2206f39...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
<URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> Dreamcast games *are* better than PS2 ones

Heathen! :)

Oliver Booth

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00

Oliver Booth <obo...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> issue the usual * commands. In ROM there is a Zip driver (which I'm hoping
> to use to copy the NC OS ROM images to disk before I take the box back!
:-),

The legal bit: I was joking here. I'm not a software pirate! :-)

Oliver.

Andy Marks

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
wrote:

> The 'tricks' ppl could try were mainly using an external zip drive to
> boot up. I doubt the Pace version has the Argo zip program in it.

Apparently it does!

Andy Marks - and...@argonet.co.uk
Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Very near the World-Famous(?) Creswell Crags
I know, I've been there!

Dave Cooper

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
In article <ant23172...@ether228.cam.pace.co.uk>, "A.Hodgkinson"

<andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4a2206f39...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
>
> > Dreamcast games *are* better than PS2 ones
>
> Heathen! :)

One review of PS2 I saw on TV (or might have read) is that it doesn't have
anti-analising (which the Dreamcast does I believe) so the game graphics can
look 'jaggy' on the PS2.

I don't know able the actual standard of games or their playablity.

Regards, Dave C.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /StrongArm RiscPc (RISCOS4) PcCard ZFC & MAUG
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ |/RINGS:-Acorn,SFReview & Classical Music.Also
_________________________/Sci-Fi,DTP,Backdrops.Email d...@argonet.co.uk
Homepage-inc.freephotos http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/dac/index.html

Richard Walker

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
"Richard Adkins" <Rich@*nodamnspam*.adkins.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <XQXR5.6164$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>
> "Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > "John Cartmell" <jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > > [surely someone has risc'd the Argos 16 day money back and
> > > done a post mortem ;-)]
> >
> > I've been meaning to do this ever since they appeared.
>
> Argos has a nice display of these devices. Also I got a look at the packing
> as well. It clearly states that these boxes use RISC OS as the operating
> system. From the spec outlined on the box it sounds a lot like an Acorn NC
> of 1997 vintage!

It is.

I found a NetProducts NetStation in the bin at work the other day!
Now, if only some prat hadn't nicked the power supply! :-)

> Has anyone managed to have a look at the guts of one yet to see if similar
> tricks to those which could be done with NC's and NetStations can be
> achieved?

No, but that's what I want to do (as I said).

If someone pays me, I'll do it. Acorn User didn't want to pay - apparently
that is their new policy. :-/

Someone here is selling one for 40ukp. If a magazine gave me that, I'd
do the job - they could even keep the box if they wanted. Alternatively,
if they could arrange a sneaky 'Argos job', I'd do it for nowt (e.g. for
Archive).

Richard.

Richard Walker

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
"Oliver Booth" <obo...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I bought one last week, just for "fun". It isn't too bad, but unlike the
> original NC it lacks keyboard, mouse and SVGA monitor ports. The IR keyboard
> sensor seems rather poor too and I constantly find myself having to retype
> characters that were missed.

Oh dear. I thouht the keyboard looked quite funky!

> Holding down shift on the keyboard during power-up stops the system booting
> and brings up the supervisor * prompt. From there you can access BASIC, or

> issue the usual * commands.

Just like the old NC! I'm stunned they didn't 'sort' this...

Is the PLIP software still there?

> In ROM there is a Zip driver (which I'm hoping
> to use to copy the NC OS ROM images to disk before I take the box back! :-),

Hmm... You won't do much with those ROM images...

> the usual ResourceFS, where !NCFresco etc.

Of course, NCFresco isn't just the '!NCFresco' application - just like
Draw/Paint/Edit, the main code is buried away elsewhere in ROM.

> can be found and CacheFS, which
> appears to be a kind of dynamically resizeable RAM disk used for storing web
> pages and history.

That's exactly what it is. Try copying some stuff in, and then
*shrink* it's Dynamic Area. It deletes the older stuff - clever,
huh?

> NC OS at the command line is a bit messy to say the least
> if you ask me. For example, trying to load a Sprite file generates the error
> 'File "ScreenLoad" not found.' - the ScreenLoad module has been removed but
> the OS still thinks it's there.

I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.

> Strangest of all, the box doesn't appear have sound
> capability - '*audio on' brings up a file not found error.
> If there is sufficient demand, I'll put a few screenshots and pictures on my
> website - let me know if you'd be interested in this.

I'd like to see how it renders a few complex web sites, particularly
those with pop-up windows.

Richard.

Richard Walker

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
"A.Hodgkinson" <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote in message

> I may be verging on disclosing stuff I shouldn't here so
> I'll not say much more, but the software stack has ended up as one
> of the most stable and most clean NC stacks produced. It's still not
> perfect, but what is?

I'd *love* to see some of the design documents on the thing!

You know... like those which Acorn stuck on one of the Developer
CD ROMs - the Functional Definitions. Are they company secrets?
I suppose they are - such things are here! :-(

If only...

Richard.

Oliver Booth

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00

Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message

> "Oliver Booth" <obo...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Holding down shift on the keyboard during power-up stops the system

booting
> > and brings up the supervisor * prompt. From there you can access BASIC,
or
> > issue the usual * commands.
>
> Just like the old NC! I'm stunned they didn't 'sort' this...

It'd be no fun though, if we couldn't access the command line. :-)

> Is the PLIP software still there?

PLIP?

> > In ROM there is a Zip driver (which I'm hoping
> > to use to copy the NC OS ROM images to disk before I take the box back!
:-),

> Hmm... You won't do much with those ROM images...

It was a joke.
After playing about for half an hour, I managed to get a full desktop
OS). !1stWord+,
!Modfiler and a few other apps run perfectly (such an achievement, lol).
Alot of apps won't run due to the lack of sound support and generate "SWI
not known" errors. I'm using Warfarin as a mouse substitute but as luck
would have it, some of the buttons it uses aren't on the keyboard - only the
left mouse button.

> > the usual ResourceFS, where !NCFresco etc.
>
> Of course, NCFresco isn't just the '!NCFresco' application - just like
> Draw/Paint/Edit, the main code is buried away elsewhere in ROM.

Agreed. There's a module called !NCFresco, which I intend to copy to disk
and test on my RiscPC - I'll delete it afterwards for copyright reasons, of
course.

> > NC OS at the command line is a bit messy to say the least
> > if you ask me. For example, trying to load a Sprite file generates the
error
> > 'File "ScreenLoad" not found.' - the ScreenLoad module has been removed
but
> > the OS still thinks it's there.
>
> I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.

(I meant to say 'SpriteUtils module' there). I don't think it should happen,
given that ScreenLoad was never a file, but a *command. "No run action
specified for this file type" or even "NC OS does not fully support Sprites"
would've been better! :-)

> > If there is sufficient demand, I'll put a few screenshots and pictures
on my
> > website - let me know if you'd be interested in this.
>
> I'd like to see how it renders a few complex web sites, particularly
> those with pop-up windows.

Sites with pop-up windows bring up a message box asking if the current
window should be replaced with the new one. Most annoyong is the lack of
Java, and sites like hotmail still don't work properly. Anything that uses
https (SSL) seem incredibly slow, but it might be just my imagination.
Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter" or
something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to certain
parts of the screen when needed.

Oliver.

ag.

Nov 23, 2000, 7:02:09 PM11/23/00
In article <4a2206f39...@argonet.co.uk>,

Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> Dreamcast games *are* better than PS2 ones
Is that for the time being ;-)

ag

Stuart Halliday

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In article <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk says...

> Sites with pop-up windows bring up a message box asking if the current
> window should be replaced with the new one. Most annoyong is the lack of
> Java, and sites like hotmail still don't work properly.

I'd love to see Java running on a box with only 8MB of RAM in it. ;-)
It does have 8MB doesn't it?

> Anything that uses
> https (SSL) seem incredibly slow, but it might be just my imagination.
> Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter" or
> something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to certain
> parts of the screen when needed.

That's Sophies little invention IIRC.
Works quite well, if a little slow because of the speed of the ARM
processor.

Does this version of NCFresco handle frame navigation correctly?

ie if you were to got to the Acorn Cybervillage site home page and then
click on say the Hotnet link and then click on the back arrow. Does it go
back to the CV Home page or does it just foul up and go back to the previous
url you were on? :-))

P.S.
I for one would like to see photos of it on your web site Oliver.

Tim Howarth

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>
"Oliver Booth" <oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message
> > "Oliver Booth" <obo...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.

> (I meant to say 'SpriteUtils module' there). I don't think it should happen,
> given that ScreenLoad was never a file, but a *command. "No run action
> specified for this file type" or even "NC OS does not fully support Sprites"
> would've been better! :-)

Ah but surely "spriteload" is just an unrecognised command - type in
"vlhgkl" and you get "file not found", if a command is not found in a
module an attempt is made to run a file/utility of that name following
some rule about CSD/path/library.

--
___
|im ---- ARM Powered ----

Andrew Green

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In article <WogT5.7242$vA4.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> Acorn User didn't want to pay - apparently that is their new policy.

Not very new, not very new at all.

Cheers,
Andrew.

--
Andrew Green ---------------------------------------- gr...@argonet.co.uk
A founder member of the Charles Fort Institute - http://www.forteana.org/

Justin Fletcher

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <na.53234b4a...@argonet.co.uk>
Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> anti-analising (which the Dreamcast does I believe) so the game graphics can

Um... That's anti-aliasing <smile>.

--
Justin Fletcher, Software engineer, Picsel Technologies
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer ]
... Justin: You must change your signature

Gary Jones

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <4a212b...@fargonet.co.uk>
nk <n...@fargonet.co.uk> wrote:

> where can i get www. details of this system - I know of someone
> who wants cheap simple access..could by ideal

You might find details on their web site.
http://www.bushinternet.com

--
Gary Jones mailto:gmj...@onetel.net.uk

RISC OS4 - Intuitive, virus resistant and stable.
Find out more http://www.riscos.org

A.Hodgkinson

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In article <19e77122...@justin.picsel.com>, Justin Fletcher
<URL:mailto:jus...@picsel.com> wrote:

> In message <na.53234b4a...@argonet.co.uk>
> Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > anti-analising (which the Dreamcast does I believe) so the game
> > graphics can
>
> Um... That's anti-aliasing <smile>.

Given that response, I think Dave was right first time, you don't
own a Dreamcast, and I claim my 5p... =8*P

Chris Evans

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In article <4a22219f...@argonet.co.uk>, Andy Marks

<URL:mailto:and...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <MPG.14870963d...@158.152.254.79>,
> Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
> > The 'tricks' ppl could try were mainly using an external zip drive to
> > boot up. I doubt the Pace version has the Argo zip program in it.
>
> Apparently it does!

I gather though that it only works with early Zip drives:-(

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679

Justin Fletcher

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <ant24120...@ether228.cam.pace.co.uk>
"A.Hodgkinson" <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <19e77122...@justin.picsel.com>, Justin Fletcher
> <URL:mailto:jus...@picsel.com> wrote:
>
> > In message <na.53234b4a...@argonet.co.uk>
> > Dave Cooper <d...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > anti-analising (which the Dreamcast does I believe) so the game
> > > graphics can
> >
> > Um... That's anti-aliasing <smile>.
>
> Given that response, I think Dave was right first time, you don't
> own a Dreamcast, and I claim my 5p... =8*P

Fair enoguh :-)

Um... Pointy-haired-glasses-with-a-bust-nose-and-tongue-in-cheek ?
That's a new one to me :-)

Kevin Bracey

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <MPG.14883ea2c...@158.152.254.79>
Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter"
> > or something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to
> > certain parts of the screen when needed.
>
> That's Sophies little invention IIRC.

It's amazing how Sophie gets credited for everything. She's the Bill Gates
of the Acorn world.

Pace Micro Technology plc Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom WWW: http://www.pace.co.uk/

Tony Houghton

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In <slrn91j8v...@realh.co.uk>,
Tony Houghton <to...@realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <NgYR5.6251$3k.1...@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > Acorn User? Innovative and in-depth reviews? No.
> >
> > Archive? No, because they don't pay for articles.
>
> Neither do Acorn User any more. Or even send you a copy of the magazine.

Well I did get my copy of the magazine eventually after all. It's just a
pity that Steve's memory needed so much prodding.

You can see how much I was rushed writing the review, I'm afraid. But I
thought the rest of the mag was a pretty good effort considering the
state of the market.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Paul Vigay

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
On 23 Nov, A.Hodgkinson <andrew.h...@pace.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4a2206f39...@argonet.co.uk>, Paul Vigay
> <URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> > Dreamcast games *are* better than PS2 ones

> Heathen! :)

Hey!
Crazy taxi and MSR rock!! :-))

--
Paul Vigay __\\|//__ RISC OS Programming,
(` o-o ') Internet Consultancy
http://www.vigay.com -----ooO-(_)-Ooo---------& Web Design----
(replace spamtrap with paul to reply by email)

To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.

Sophie Wilson

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
"Kevin Bracey" <kevin....@pace.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <MPG.14883ea2c...@158.152.254.79>
> Stuart Halliday
<stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > In article <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> > oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk says...
> >
> > > Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called
"AntiTwitter"
> > > or something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to
> > > certain parts of the screen when needed.
> >
> > That's Sophies little invention IIRC.
>
> It's amazing how Sophie gets credited for everything. She's the Bill Gates
> of the Acorn world.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's a flattering comparison or not... How about
the John Warnock of the Acorn world? (in this context - happy to be the
David Patterson of the Acorn world in others!)

Anyway, the basic interlace flicker filter used in NCs is all known stuff
- no inventions required, its just a 3 line 1/4 1/2 1/4 filter programmed
as an FIR. Tim Dobson's implementation is about as optimal as it gets.

The research was into an IIR filter with better response. One can, indeed
devise a filter which looks better than the above 3 line filter and which
doesn't take an infinite amount of execution time. It isn't much used 'cos
it is a bit slower than the standard 3 line filter. Stuff like this is used
in professional broadcasting (by the folks who care) but implemented as an
11 line or so FIR ('cos they don't care about implementation cost, but do
care about performance) although the parameters on the NC filter are quite
different to the "normal" broadcast ones.

And speed is critical. Some release NCs end up with an external hardware
filter to remove that problem. And these external hardware filters are
not really very good (indeed, some are atrocious being 2 line 1/2 1/2
filters: ugh!). So in the SA1501, there is a hardware implementation of
the above IIR filter - its smaller than the hardware implementations of
an FIR filter and visually superior (it even has two different
coefficient sets for PAL and NTSC!).

Pity about the SA1500/SA1501...

--Sophie

Oliver Booth

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00

Michael Rozdoba <b...@hcp.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <8vmh6e$1bd$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Oliver Booth
> <oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > Just to clarify: I typed *run !Sprites at the command line - not
> > *ScreenLoad !Sprites. So something within the OS must've linked to the
> > ScreenLoad command. This is what I think should've been disabled.
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood.

My fault - I should've been more specific. :-)

Oliver.

Oliver Booth

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00

> ...*Somewhere*, I have a list of all
> the 'missing' modules, and it's just a matter of loading those from RISC
> OS 3.6. Things like Filer, Pinboard, TaskManager, DisplayManager etc.
> Oh, and remember to make a great big ResourceFS patch....

If you do find the list, I'd appreciate a copy. Only if it's no trouble,
though.

Oliver.

David J. Ruck

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
On 24 Nov 2000 Michael Chappell <chap...@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <23877f224a%kbr...@kbracey.cam.pace.co.uk>, Kevin Bracey

> > It's amazing how Sophie gets credited for everything. She's the Bill
> > Gates of the Acorn world.
>

> No she's not; people *like* Sophie. :o)

And who is actually still using Bill Gates' BASIC?

---druck

--
|\/|o _|| _ _ _| _
The ARM Club | ||(_||(_|| |(_|_\ Show, 2nd December 2000
National Motor Cycle Museum http://www.armclub.org.uk/shows

Matthew Hambley

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
In message <MPG.14883ea2c...@158.152.254.79>
Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> Does this version of NCFresco handle frame navigation correctly?
>
> ie if you were to got to the Acorn Cybervillage site home page and then
> click on say the Hotnet link and then click on the back arrow. Does it go
> back to the CV Home page or does it just foul up and go back to the
> previous url you were on? :-))

I think it has been stated on many occasions that frames completely break
the navigation model. Therefore both methods of dealing with the back
button are as correct as each other.

--
(\/)atthew Hambley ----------------\ If something's worth doing it's worth
\ doing badly until you can learn to
snow...@therealm.freeserve.co.uk \ do it well.
http://www.therealm.freeserve.co.uk/ \-----------------------------------

Mech

Nov 23, 2000, 9:56:40 PM11/23/00
In message <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>

, "Oliver Booth" <oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message

> > "Oliver Booth" <obo...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Is the PLIP software still there?

> PLIP?

Parallel port bootstrap. Is it real PLIP?

> > > the usual ResourceFS, where !NCFresco etc.
> >
> > Of course, NCFresco isn't just the '!NCFresco' application - just like
> > Draw/Paint/Edit, the main code is buried away elsewhere in ROM.

> Agreed. There's a module called !NCFresco, which I intend to copy to disk

> and test on my RiscPC - I'll delete it afterwards for copyright reasons, of
> course.

If it's hardwired to the SharedCLibrary, it'll only work in-place in ROM.
This is easily fixable with a kludge, I've done similar tricks before.

Try RMFastering it. If that fails with an error, it'll need patching.

> > I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.

> (I meant to say 'SpriteUtils module' there). I don't think it should happen,
> given that ScreenLoad was never a file, but a *command.

Exactly. If it doesn't know about a command it'll try running it as a file.
This is the correct behaviour.

> "No run action specified for this file type" or even "NC OS does not fully
> support Sprites" would've been better! :-)

But you aren't running a sprite, you're passing its filename to a command.

> Sites with pop-up windows bring up a message box asking if the current
> window should be replaced with the new one. Most annoyong is the lack of
> Java,

Not enough room in ROM for Java...

> and sites like hotmail still don't work properly. Anything that uses

> https (SSL) seem incredibly slow, but it might be just my imagination.

That's because the ARM7500FE is slow.

Cheers,

Dan.

--
__ _______ ______ __
/ |/ / __/ ___/ /_/ / # Dan "Mech" Maloney.

Michael Rozdoba

Nov 23, 2000, 7:15:55 PM11/23/00
In article <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Oliver Booth

<oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > > NC OS at the command line is a bit messy to say the least if you ask
> > > me. For example, trying to load a Sprite file generates the error
> > > 'File "ScreenLoad" not found.' - the ScreenLoad module has been
> > > removed but the OS still thinks it's there.
> >
> > I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.
> >
> (I meant to say 'SpriteUtils module' there). I don't think it should
> happen, given that ScreenLoad was never a file, but a *command. "No run

> action specified for this file type" or even "NC OS does not fully
> support Sprites" would've been better! :-)

The module that provided the command has been removed, so the machine has
no knowledge of such a command, hence as one would expect tries to find &
execute such a program on Run$Path (or whatever passes for that under
NCOS). Since that doesn't exist you get the above error. AFAICS this is
correct behaviour.

--
_ _
Michael Rozdoba ICQ: 15835336 |_| |_ | |_| i'm trapped | | |
Ashamed to belong to a club called ACNE | | |_ |_ | in reality ... o o o
mroz at ukgateway dot net // ......... homepage coming soon .........

Andy McMullon

Nov 24, 2000, 1:18:55 PM11/24/00
In missive <23877f224a%kbr...@kbracey.cam.pace.co.uk>
Kevin Bracey <kevin....@pace.co.uk> expounded:

> In message <MPG.14883ea2c...@158.152.254.79>
> Stuart Halliday <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:
>

> > In article <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> > oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk says...
> >
> > > Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter"
> > > or something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to
> > > certain parts of the screen when needed.
> >
> > That's Sophies little invention IIRC.
>

> It's amazing how Sophie gets credited for everything. She's the Bill Gates
> of the Acorn world.

Is that a complement?

Well, anyway, we could do with someone investing lots of money in RISC
OS in addition to being clever enough to program all the interesting
bits. Is she rich as well?

--
skyp...@bigfoot.com / andymc...@redhotant.com

Richard Walker

Nov 24, 2000, 12:38:55 PM11/24/00
"Oliver Booth" <oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message
>
> > Is the PLIP software still there?
>
> PLIP?

Parallel Line IP - i.e. connect the parallel port to a UNIX/Win32
box (with a 'laplink' cable) and establish an IP connection. In
theory, you could then establish an NFS mount...

> > Hmm... You won't do much with those ROM images...
>
> It was a joke.

Obviously!

> After playing about for half an hour, I managed to get a full desktop
> OS).

Yeah, that's quite straightforward. *Somewhere*, I have a list of all

the 'missing' modules, and it's just a matter of loading those from RISC
OS 3.6. Things like Filer, Pinboard, TaskManager, DisplayManager etc.

Oh, and remember to make a great big ResourceFS patch!

> !1stWord+,
> !Modfiler and a few other apps run perfectly (such an achievement, lol).
> Alot of apps won't run due to the lack of sound support and generate "SWI
> not known" errors. I'm using Warfarin as a mouse substitute but as luck
> would have it, some of the buttons it uses aren't on the keyboard - only the
> left mouse button.

:-)

If you are getting SWI not known errors, then you prolly need to RMLoad
a few more 'desktop' modules.

> > Of course, NCFresco isn't just the '!NCFresco' application - just like
> > Draw/Paint/Edit, the main code is buried away elsewhere in ROM.
> >
> Agreed. There's a module called !NCFresco, which I intend to copy to disk
> and test on my RiscPC - I'll delete it afterwards for copyright reasons, of
> course.

Obviously! :-) The old NCFresco worked quite well on a Risc PC!

> > > NC OS at the command line is a bit messy to say the least
> > > if you ask me. For example, trying to load a Sprite file generates the error
> > > 'File "ScreenLoad" not found.' - the ScreenLoad module has been removed but
> > > the OS still thinks it's there.
> >
> > I disagree. That's exactly what *should* happen.
> >
> (I meant to say 'SpriteUtils module' there). I don't think it should happen,
> given that ScreenLoad was never a file, but a *command. "No run action
> specified for this file type" or even "NC OS does not fully support Sprites"
> would've been better! :-)

But... the OS looks at all the modules, sees that *ScreenLoad isn't
supported, so trys to do '*Run ScreenLoad', which gives the error
you see. This is correct.

Try typing, '*SodThisForALark' on your Risc PC!

> Sites with pop-up windows bring up a message box asking if the current
> window should be replaced with the new one.

I see.

> Most annoyong is the lack of Java,

Quite. And no doubt Flash?

> and sites like hotmail still don't work properly.

Why?

> Anything that uses
> https (SSL) seem incredibly slow, but it might be just my imagination.

Hmm...

> Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter" or
> something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to certain
> parts of the screen when needed.

Yeah - look up the *command details for it. NCFresco and NCWriter (is
that there?) use it.

Richard.

Andy Marks

Nov 24, 2000, 2:27:19 PM11/24/00
In article <ant24110...@cje.local>,

Chris Evans <ch...@cje.co.uk> wrote:
> > > The 'tricks' ppl could try were mainly using an external zip drive to
> > > boot up. I doubt the Pace version has the Argo zip program in it.
> >
> > Apparently it does!

> I gather though that it only works with early Zip drives:-(

Works quite well here!!!

Andy Marks - and...@argonet.co.uk
Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Very near the World-Famous(?) Creswell Crags
I know, I've been there!

Oliver Booth

Nov 24, 2000, 2:58:59 PM11/24/00

Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message

> > PLIP?
>
> Parallel Line IP - i.e. connect the parallel port to a UNIX/Win32
> box (with a 'laplink' cable) and establish an IP connection. In
> theory, you could then establish an NFS mount...

I'll give it a try, if I can find my parallel port <-> parallel port cable.

> :-)
>
> If you are getting SWI not known errors, then you prolly need to RMLoad
> a few more 'desktop' modules.

I RMLoaded the sound support modules, which cured the aforementioned SWI
errors but generated Abort on Data Transfer errors instead. Apps that don't
require sound seem to run fine.

> > Most annoyong is the lack of Java,
>
> Quite. And no doubt Flash?

Correct - no Flash support either.

> > and sites like hotmail still don't work properly.
>
> Why?

"Your internet browsing software will limit your ability to use Hotmail ....
Hotmail may not work correctly... We invite you to upgrade to IE5" say
Microsoft, when I attempt to access it. It crashed while I was composing a
message too - I assume this is related.

> > Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called "AntiTwitter"
or
> > something, which claims to apply jitter reduction techniques to certain
> > parts of the screen when needed.
>
> Yeah - look up the *command details for it. NCFresco and NCWriter (is
> that there?) use it.

NCWriter isn't there, unfortunately. Had it supported Java I'd've written a
little "word processor" applet to enable me do basic DTP tasks on it.

Oliver.

Oliver Booth

Nov 24, 2000, 2:40:30 PM11/24/00

Michael Rozdoba <e...@saa.invalid> wrote in message

> [File "ScreenLoad" not found.]

> The module that provided the command has been removed, so the machine has
> no knowledge of such a command, hence as one would expect tries to find &
> execute such a program on Run$Path (or whatever passes for that under
> NCOS). Since that doesn't exist you get the above error. AFAICS this is
> correct behaviour.

Just to clarify: I typed *run !Sprites at the command line - not *ScreenLoad

!Sprites. So something within the OS must've linked to the ScreenLoad
command. This is what I think should've been disabled.

Oliver.

Andy Piper

Nov 23, 2000, 6:19:57 PM11/23/00
Dave Cooper wrote:

> One review of PS2 I saw on TV (or might have read) is that it doesn't have

> anti-analising (which the Dreamcast does I believe) so the game graphics can
> look 'jaggy' on the PS2.

Untrue. PS2 does indeed provide anti-aliasing. However, ISTR that some
of the development info Sony provided didn't exactly make it clear how
to make use of it, until after the main launch in Japan at any rate,
so several launch titles make no use of it :-/

--
Andy Piper - Fareham, Hampshire (UK) - ICQ #86489434
andy....@freeuk.com | an...@unrealtournament.org
* OpenUT for Linux | http://openut.sourceforge.net
* Unreal Tournament News | http://www.unrealtournament.org

Michael Chappell

Nov 24, 2000, 3:38:12 PM11/24/00
<kevin....@pace.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <MPG.14883ea2c...@158.152.254.79> Stuart Halliday
> <stu...@cybervillage.co.removethisfirst.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > In article <8vk5sq$j5b$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> > oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk says...
> >

> > > Regarding complex graphics et al, there's a module called
> > > "AntiTwitter" or something, which claims to apply jitter reduction
> > > techniques to certain parts of the screen when needed.
> >

> > That's Sophies little invention IIRC.

> It's amazing how Sophie gets credited for everything. She's the Bill
> Gates of the Acorn world.

No she's not; people *like* Sophie. :o)

Michael

--
Michael Chappell - chap...@ukgateway.net
http://www.comping.ukgateway.net

Michael Rozdoba

Nov 24, 2000, 3:52:50 PM11/24/00
In article <8vmh6e$1bd$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Oliver Booth

<oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Just to clarify: I typed *run !Sprites at the command line - not
> *ScreenLoad !Sprites. So something within the OS must've linked to the
> ScreenLoad command. This is what I think should've been disabled.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Richard Walker

Nov 24, 2000, 3:09:24 PM11/24/00
"Mech" <me...@toth.org.uk> wrote in message news:b22442224a%Me...@vectro.freeserve.co.uk...

> Parallel port bootstrap. Is it real PLIP?

I thought it was. Maybe I'm mistaken.

> > Agreed. There's a module called !NCFresco, which I intend to copy to disk
> > and test on my RiscPC - I'll delete it afterwards for copyright reasons, of
> > course.
>
> If it's hardwired to the SharedCLibrary, it'll only work in-place in ROM.
> This is easily fixable with a kludge, I've done similar tricks before.

Hmm... so could you see about getting FilerAction working on NC OS?

> Not enough room in ROM for Java...

And even if you have a LAN, and run Acorn's Java VM from that, it is
still rather useless. :-(

Richard.

Richard Walker

Nov 24, 2000, 5:39:27 PM11/24/00

> [File "ScreenLoad" not found.]

> Just to clarify: I typed *run !Sprites at the command line - not *ScreenLoad
> !Sprites. So something within the OS must've linked to the ScreenLoad
> command. This is what I think should've been disabled.

Ah! In that case, the RunType_FF9 variable is set to *ScreenLoad,
which is obviously a bit silly...

Richard.

Richard Adkins

Nov 24, 2000, 5:39:07 PM11/24/00
In message <dfzT5.8597$ea7.1...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>
"Richard Walker" <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> "Oliver Booth" <oli...@ashwood98.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Is the PLIP software still there?
> >
> > PLIP?
>
> Parallel Line IP - i.e. connect the parallel port to a UNIX/Win32
> box (with a 'laplink' cable) and establish an IP connection. In
> theory, you could then establish an NFS mount...

Sounds like a good use for an old 486 box running Linux.

> > After playing about for half an hour, I managed to get a full desktop
> > OS).

Has anyone tried this on the TV version rather than the STB?

> Yeah, that's quite straightforward. *Somewhere*, I have a list of all
> the 'missing' modules, and it's just a matter of loading those from RISC
> OS 3.6. Things like Filer, Pinboard, TaskManager, DisplayManager etc.
> Oh, and remember to make a great big ResourceFS patch!

Try the following modules:

AUNMsgs
DisplayManager
DOSFS
Filer
Freeway
Pinboard
ResourceFS
ShareFS
TaskManager

These are the ones which I understand are missing from NC OS 1.06. Load
these (on that version of NC OS) and you should get RISC OS 3.60

TTFN
--
Richard Adkins

Bob Lithgow

Nov 24, 2000, 5:33:13 PM11/24/00
I was in Argos today. They have The Box on display plus several
optional extras - the 14" TV, the "proper" IR keyboard (gbp30) and a
printer option also. I don't recall seeing any mention of a HD though.

Cheers #8-)) Bob.

--
Bob Lithgow --> bob...@breathemail.n.e.t

Michael Curtis

Nov 24, 2000, 3:55:26 PM11/24/00
In message <b22442224a%Me...@vectro.freeserve.co.uk>
Mech <me...@toth.org.uk> wrote:

> > and sites like hotmail still don't work properly. Anything that uses
> > https (SSL) seem incredibly slow, but it might be just my imagination.
>
> That's because the ARM7500FE is slow.

I think ANT's module is slow. The ANT SSL module seems to lock solid
doing apparently nothing, while the Acorn module (on the same processor)
is very responsive - you don't notice that it's SSL at all!

--
R ### Michael Curtis RISC OS fanatic
I # # Electronics enthusiast

It is loading more messages.