RISC OS and Beagleboard on The Register

John

Jun 25, 2010, 8:53:50 AM6/25/10
I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/

And they've given it a headline on the home page.

John

--
John
new...@blueyonder.co.uk

Russell Hafter News

Jun 25, 2010, 9:26:50 AM6/25/10
In article <512cea99...@blueyonder.co.uk>, John
<new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/

> And they've given it a headline on the home page.

and, as they say, rather better value for money than an
Amiga at £1500!!!

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk

trevj

Jun 25, 2010, 10:18:40 AM6/25/10
On Jun 25, 1:53 pm, John <news...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.

They have done!
http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11452

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/
>
> And they've given it a headline on the home page.

That wasn't pointed out, though :-)

Rob Kendrick

Jun 25, 2010, 10:19:10 AM6/25/10
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:26:50 +0100
Russell Hafter News <see...@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote:

> > And they've given it a headline on the home page.
>
> and, as they say, rather better value for money than an
> Amiga at £1500!!!

How much was the Iyonix when it was brand new? It's also worth noting
that the new Amiga has dual-core CPUs clocked above a GHz, and a big
processing array thingy, a powerful GPU, a hard disc, a case, etc etc
etc.

B.

Jim Lesurf

Jun 25, 2010, 10:17:18 AM6/25/10
> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/

> And they've given it a headline on the home page.

I learned about the above article earlier today when a friend who uses a
Mac emailed me about it!

I think it would be interesting if someone can get to the point of making
this into an 'easy to assemble' kit of bits for which something like a
memory card holding the OS, etc, can be obtained. I am also wondering if
the same system might be a basis for a mechanically silent home player for
soundfiles, etc. Perhaps doing this by having a dual-boot with RO and
Linux.

Slainte,

Jim

Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Dave Higton

Jun 25, 2010, 5:18:00 PM6/25/10
In message <512cea99...@blueyonder.co.uk>
John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/

It's been picked up twice in the ROOL forum.

Dave

Folderol

Jun 25, 2010, 5:22:50 PM6/25/10

I picked it up too, but I was at work, and my employer (quite
unreasonably) thinks that just because he gives me money he can expect
me to work during the day and not post to various newsgroups :P

P.S.
I'm allowed to look at vulture central cos he does too :)

--
Will J G

Lamp

Jun 26, 2010, 7:47:15 AM6/26/10
Op 25-6-2010 16:17, Jim Lesurf schreef:

> In article<512cea99...@blueyonder.co.uk>, John
> <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/
>
>> And they've given it a headline on the home page.
>
> I learned about the above article earlier today when a friend who uses a
> Mac emailed me about it!
>
> I think it would be interesting if someone can get to the point of making
> this into an 'easy to assemble' kit of bits for which something like a
> memory card holding the OS, etc, can be obtained.

If someone can supply such a out-of-the-box working thing I would surely
considder this to buy.
First I have to rebuild the !bootsequence on my Iyonix (see my posting
!Help) in hardware yestrday

Lamp

John

Jun 26, 2010, 8:10:38 AM6/26/10
In article <82c1182d51...@dsl.pipex.com>,

Not somewhere I frequent. I saw the article sometime around
10 or 11 am and thought that the newsgroups would already
be ablaze with excitement. I was surprised when I logged on
after lunch to see that it still hadn't registered (pun
intended).

Dr Peter Young

Jun 26, 2010, 8:54:50 AM6/26/10
On 26 Jun 2010 Lamp <lam...@online.nl> wrote:

> Op 25-6-2010 16:17, Jim Lesurf schreef:
>> In article<512cea99...@blueyonder.co.uk>, John
>> <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/
>>
>>> And they've given it a headline on the home page.
>>
>> I learned about the above article earlier today when a friend who uses a
>> Mac emailed me about it!
>>
>> I think it would be interesting if someone can get to the point of making
>> this into an 'easy to assemble' kit of bits for which something like a
>> memory card holding the OS, etc, can be obtained.

> If someone can supply such a out-of-the-box working thing I would surely
> considder this to buy.

And I would too. Any hope of this?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \ / zfc Yb \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \/ __ __ \ England.

M Harding

Jun 26, 2010, 10:43:43 AM6/26/10
In article <66866e2d5...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,

Dr Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2010 Lamp <lam...@online.nl> wrote:

> > Op 25-6-2010 16:17, Jim Lesurf schreef:

> >> I learned about the above article earlier today when a friend
> >> who uses a Mac emailed me about it!
> >>
> >> I think it would be interesting if someone can get to the point
> >> of making this into an 'easy to assemble' kit of bits for which
> >> something like a memory card holding the OS, etc, can be
> >> obtained.

> > If someone can supply such a out-of-the-box working thing I would
> > surely considder this to buy.

> And I would too. Any hope of this?

Me too.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding ris...@mdharding.org.uk

Theo Markettos

Jun 26, 2010, 12:32:42 PM6/26/10
John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Not somewhere I frequent. I saw the article sometime around
> 10 or 11 am and thought that the newsgroups would already
> be ablaze with excitement. I was surprised when I logged on
> after lunch to see that it still hadn't registered (pun
> intended).

After seeing it here I looked on riscos.info to see if there was any mention
of it, and as there wasn't I logged in to post an article. By the time the
front page refreshed after I'd logged in an article had magically appeared
:)

Theo

Dave Higton

Jun 26, 2010, 3:56:09 PM6/26/10
In message <512d6a7a...@blueyonder.co.uk>
John <new...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <82c1182d51...@dsl.pipex.com>,
> Dave Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > It's been picked up twice in the ROOL forum.
>
> Not somewhere I frequent.

Perhaps you should reconsider. The ROOL forum contains material
of far higher quality than the csa newsgroups, and hasn't (yet)
been invaded by the damaged personalities who argue and spread
misinformation here.

(If you think I have become disillusioned about the csa newsgroups,
you're right.)

Dave

Russell Hafter News

Jun 27, 2010, 5:34:56 AM6/27/10
In article <c418952d51...@dsl.pipex.com>, Dave

> > In article <82c1182d51...@dsl.pipex.com>, Dave
> > Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > > It's been picked up twice in the ROOL forum.

> > Not somewhere I frequent.

> Perhaps you should reconsider. The ROOL forum contains
> material of far higher quality than the csa newsgroups,
> and hasn't (yet) been invaded by the damaged
> personalities who argue and spread misinformation here.

That certainly sounds like a plus factor.

On the negative side, it is, I assume, a forum, not a
newsgroup. Whenever I google for some minor assistance on
other OSs it only ever throws up web-based forums which I
find near impossible to navigate and can never find any
useful answers in.

John

Jun 27, 2010, 5:12:09 AM6/27/10
In article <c418952d51...@dsl.pipex.com>, Dave

> > In article <82c1182d51...@dsl.pipex.com>, Dave
> > Higton <daveh...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It's been picked up twice in the ROOL forum.
> >
> > Not somewhere I frequent.

> Perhaps you should reconsider. The ROOL forum contains
> material of far higher quality than the csa newsgroups,
> and hasn't (yet) been invaded by the damaged
> personalities who argue and spread misinformation here.

My absence from the forum is based purely on the fact that
I run VRPC on both of my machines. I don't see that ROOL's
efforts have any immediate relevance to what I do. I could
be (and probably am) wrong in this but I just haven't seen
the need to follow it closely. This is not to say that I'm
unappreciative of the efforts of ROOL and all the others
who contribute to the development of RISC OS 5. I just feel
that if there are any great leaps forward, I'll find out
about them without following the daily minutiae in the
forum.

Having said that, it would be churlish if I didn't take a
peek to find out about what you've recommended.

> (If you think I have become disillusioned about the csa
> newsgroups, you're right.)

I know just where you're coming from.

Liam Proven

Jun 27, 2010, 7:06:51 AM6/27/10
On 25 June, 13:53, John <news...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this yet.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/25/riscos_beagleboard/
>
> And they've given it a headline on the home page.

I didn't get any choice in its positioning on the homepage, but I'm
glad folks enjoyed the piece. I'd welcome news of further developments
on this sort of theme for future stories.

FWIW, I've covered RISC OS in "mainstream" tech sites before - e.g.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1022447/new-risc-os-machine-coming-soon
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1039769/risc-os-six-appears-only-a-couple-of-years-late

- Liam Proven