Free BBCs and Acorns!

filecore

Mar 8, 2011, 4:34:58 PM3/8/11
As posted to TIB (http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?
threadid=11643) but I thought I'd open it up a bit to any interested
parties. So, whoever's left that hasn't killfiled me or who isn't just
ignoring me on the basis of being an arrogant twat and feels like
coming and collecting stuff, or just feels like coming and punching me
in the face, is free to try their luck.

---

To anyone who is relatively near to (or willing to drive to) southwest
Scotland, about 25 miles north of Carlisle along the M74, I've been
clearing old stuff out of storage recently and I have a bunch of
Acorns and a couple of BBCs that I'll be getting rid of towards the
end of March. Anybody who wants to come and collect stuff is free to
try their luck.

First, the caveats: I won't get back there until the weekend after
next (19th-20th) and it'll take me a little time to sort, classify and
mvoe everything, so the machines will only be available for collection
on the weekdays from Monday to Wednesday (21st-23rd), so it's probably
best to confirm the time you'd come beforehand. It'll be more or less
on a first come, first served basis - whoever can commit to coming can
have what is there. So far I don't have much in the way of specs or
any clue if they're actually in working order or not, since they've
been sitting in storage for a long time, and I won't be able to give
any more details until the weekend of the 19th.

As for what's there, this is the lot:

Four BBCs (I think mostly Masters, one may be a B, one has Wordwise+
on ROM installed)
A310
A420/1 (if I recall correctly)
A3000 (has had an inquiry to have it shipped to the USA, but will give
locally if that proves too expensive!)
A4000
A5000
A7000+ in original box (has had inquiry to be shipped if working; if
corroded battery or other damage, will give locally for parts)
RiscPC (unknown spec, two-slice, but probably 3.7/SA202)

Also some miscellaneous hardware: Cumana external floppy drives
(single and dual) a SCSI floppy drive, some other bits and pieces).

And some random software; off the top of my head: Beebug Ovation DTP
for Arc, Pipedream Spreadsheet, Cumana photo album V1 CD, Through my
Window (Anglia Multimedia CD for Acorn), The World of Robert Burns
(CD, tape and book), Slick Computer Simulation by BP, TextEase, Acorn
Advance, Seelinks Ourselves database framework (visual data
manipulation). All in original boxes with manuals. I think there's
also a large stack of RISC OS CDs but I can't be sure of what's there
until I get back and have a more detailed look.

As I said, I will post more details closer to the time. Any enquiries
should be posted to this thread, and if you want to contact me
privately mention it here and I'll arrange something. If nobody
collects them I might put anything worthwhile into storage or sell it
on eBay, but much of it will have to be simply thrown out. Sorry for
the short timespan (and for being so vague), I am only in that part of
the world for a flying visit and won't be back until the summer!

Hopefully this will give interested parties a chance to pencil it into
their diaries as a 'maybe' enough in advance.

charles

Mar 8, 2011, 6:42:28 PM3/8/11
In article
<646838bf-4513-4ea9...@o10g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>,

filecore <file...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As posted to TIB (http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?
> threadid=11643) but I thought I'd open it up a bit to any interested
> parties. So, whoever's left that hasn't killfiled me or who isn't just
> ignoring me on the basis of being an arrogant twat and feels like
> coming and collecting stuff, or just feels like coming and punching me
> in the face, is free to try their luck.

> ---

> To anyone who is relatively near to (or willing to drive to) southwest
> Scotland, about 25 miles north of Carlisle along the M74, I've been
> clearing old stuff out of storage recently and I have a bunch of
> Acorns and a couple of BBCs that I'll be getting rid of towards the
> end of March. Anybody who wants to come and collect stuff is free to
> try their luck.

[Snip]

I could pass by just before Wakefield and deliver to anyone attending that
show; or take it south and pass on to asnyone in the London area after the
show.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Dominic Holton

Mar 8, 2011, 8:40:28 PM3/8/11
On 08/03/2011 23:42, charles wrote:

> I could pass by just before Wakefield and deliver to anyone attending that
> show; or take it south and pass on to asnyone in the London area after the
> show.

filecore/Charles,

I'd be interested in the A420/1 (if that's what it is) but can't travel
that far!

If postage is an option or Charles is willing to collect that would be
great... As it happens I'm also in KT24! :-)

Many thanks,
Dom

Chris

Mar 9, 2011, 8:49:49 AM3/9/11
> To anyone who is relatively near to (or willing to drive to)
> southwest Scotland, about 25 miles north of Carlisle along the M74,

The people who run the vintage Computer museum at Wigton (near
Carlisle) may be interested - they were in some other stuff I have
let them know about. I will forward this to them.

--
Chris de Cordova

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Dave Barnett

Mar 10, 2011, 10:49:22 AM3/10/11

I am very interested in the RPC. I has to be better than mine, which
has just died. I am in Manchester and can assist with other potential
takers.

Dave

filecore

Mar 10, 2011, 11:37:23 AM3/10/11
On Mar 10, 5:49 pm, Dave Barnett <d...@davebarnett.me.uk> wrote:
> I am very interested in the RPC.    I has to be better than mine, which
> has just died.  I am in Manchester and can assist with other potential
> takers.

Sorry Dave, unfortunately somebody else beat you to it (they asked
about it last night). I've added to and updated my list on TIB, you
can check it out here:

http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11643&page=1#116870

You're still welcome to collect any of the other Acorns that might be
of use to you, although I've nothing to match the RPC.

Peter Howkins

Mar 11, 2011, 1:23:56 PM3/11/11
On Mar 8, 11:42 pm, charles <char...@charleshope.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I could pass by just before Wakefield and deliver to anyone attending that
> show; or take it south and pass on to asnyone in the London area after the
> show.

Hi Charles, if you could bring the a7000+ from Scotland to London that
would
be very helpful. I know roughly where you in in London and can pickup
from you :-)

Peter

charles

Mar 11, 2011, 1:41:12 PM3/11/11
In article
<929a5f75-25e1-4d6d...@u12g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,

No problem. I could possibly bring it to the ROUGOL meeting, but I'd be
happier if you collected it. KT24 6PF