Advice request: Acorn/Castle C/C++ suite from CD-ROM onto BeagleBoard

trevj

May 21, 2010, 7:03:51 AM5/21/10
Before I buy the tools on CD-ROM
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/355#posts-3340
can anyone here please let me know whether I should be able to extract
the (Windows-zipped) contents from a USB stick to an ADFS device on
the BeagleBoard. (Not posted to the ROOL forum as I've probably
already overstepped the "number of daft questions" mark there.)

Or are the contents mainly zipped anyway to preserve RO filenames/
types.

Note that I also have a RiscPC with RO6 and CD-ROM drive but no USB
podule/Unipod - so not a lot of help unless I need to zip the contents
natively... in which case I could then upload these to some webspace
for download on the BeagleBoard (I don't have a network set up either).

trevj

May 21, 2010, 7:07:39 AM5/21/10
On May 21, 12:03 pm, trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

> natively... in which case I could then upload these to some webspace

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]

Being a commercial product, I'm talking private webspace of course,
and would delete them immediately afterwards.

Ste (news)

May 21, 2010, 7:39:09 AM5/21/10
In article
<d8aae135-bb5c-43e5...@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,

Your best bet would be to install the tools on a native RISC OS machine
(such as your RiscPC) using the supplied installer (because copies are
locked to your license key) then archive up the whole of the installed
AcornC/C++ folder, put on the USB stick and move over to the Beagle Board to
extract it into your disc image there.

Steve

--
Steve Revill @ Home
Note: All opinions expressed herein are my own.

trevj

May 21, 2010, 8:13:50 AM5/21/10
On May 21, 12:39 pm, "Ste (news)" <st...@revi11.plus.com> wrote:

> Your best bet would be to install the tools on a native RISC OS machine
> (such as your RiscPC) using the supplied installer (because copies are
> locked to your license key) then archive up the whole of the installed
> AcornC/C++ folder, put on the USB stick and move over to the Beagle Board to
> extract it into your disc image there.

Thanks for advice, Steve.

Steffen Huber

May 21, 2010, 2:12:43 PM5/21/10
trevj wrote:
> Before I buy the tools on CD-ROM
> https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/355#posts-3340
> can anyone here please let me know whether I should be able to extract
> the (Windows-zipped) contents from a USB stick to an ADFS device on
> the BeagleBoard. (Not posted to the ROOL forum as I've probably
> already overstepped the "number of daft questions" mark there.)

One way that would work would be to extract the CD image with
some Windows or whatever tool and mount it on the BeagleBoard via
CDFaker.

Oh, you would need to have a look at CDFaker before of course
if it is BeagleBoard compatible - I can supply source code ;-)

Download from
http://www.huber-net.de/cdfaker32bit.zip

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber
hubersn Software - http://www.hubersn-software.com/

trevj

May 21, 2010, 2:30:22 PM5/21/10
On May 21, 7:12 pm, Steffen Huber <s...@huber-net.de> wrote:

> One way that would work would be to extract the CD image with
> some Windows or whatever tool and mount it on the BeagleBoard via
> CDFaker.

Nice idea :-)

> Oh, you would need to have a look at CDFaker before of course
> if it is BeagleBoard compatible - I can supply source code ;-)
>
> Download from http://www.huber-net.de/cdfaker32bit.zip

Thanks very much. But I'm not too sure I'd be able to make enough
sense of the code with respect to possible ARMv7 incompatibility. Will
let you know.

Ste (news)

May 21, 2010, 8:42:08 PM5/21/10
In article <85o0oq...@mid.individual.net>,

Steffen Huber <sp...@huber-net.de> wrote:
> One way that would work would be to extract the CD image with
> some Windows or whatever tool and mount it on the BeagleBoard via
> CDFaker.

Although the tools are ARM7 safe, we've not tested the installer program, to
which we do not have source code...

trevj

May 22, 2010, 3:28:21 AM5/22/10
On May 22, 1:42 am, "Ste (news)" <st...@revi11.plus.com> wrote:

> Although the tools are ARM7 safe, we've not tested the installer program, to
> which we do not have source code...

Thanks for the info. I'll post if/when I'm able to test it.

trevj

May 25, 2010, 6:04:10 PM5/25/10
On May 22, 1:42 am, "Ste (news)" <st...@revi11.plus.com> wrote:

> Although the tools are ARM7 safe, we've not tested the installer program, to
> which we do not have source code...

Super speedy delivery - thanks!

So far, so good. Installed on RiscPC and zipped the installed
directory (and most of other CD contents) for transfer to BB.

For the record, the installer doesn't seem to work on the BB...
although I don't have an exact comparison with the RiscPC as I ran it
direct from the CD-ROM there, rather than copying it to the HDD first.
On the BB with alignment exceptions on, the installer fails. And with
them turned off it says 'nothing to install' or something similar. I
can report the exact errors if that's of any interest. Shame you don't
have the sources.

Do Castle still provide support for the tools? Am I supposed to
register here:
http://www.iyonix.com/cgi-bin/UserArea/register.cgi?area=tools

Thanks

Trevor

Ste (news)

May 26, 2010, 10:53:17 AM5/26/10
In article
<93705523-7ff1-4e63...@c22g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,

trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
> For the record, the installer doesn't seem to work on the BB...
> although I don't have an exact comparison with the RiscPC as I ran it
> direct from the CD-ROM there, rather than copying it to the HDD first.
> On the BB with alignment exceptions on, the installer fails. And with
> them turned off it says 'nothing to install' or something similar. I
> can report the exact errors if that's of any interest. Shame you don't
> have the sources.

Please post something to the ROOL bug tracker so at lest we've got it
recorded for posterity.

> Do Castle still provide support for the tools? Am I supposed to
> register here:
> http://www.iyonix.com/cgi-bin/UserArea/register.cgi?area=tools

Technically, ROOL support the tools now. However, it's a steep learning
curve to mess about with things like the compiler and so on. So we're
looking to get some help from Kevin Bracey, who has done a lot of work in
that area historically, in order to train us up a bit. Then we might be able
to fix some bugs...