Using an IDE image in Arculator

tom.n...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2006, 9:22:45 AM7/25/06
I recently serialised my A3000's harddisc using

SYS"IDEFS_DiscOp",,9,(4<<29)+A%, D%, S%

and sent it down the serial port to my PC, hoping to use it in an
emulator. (The transfer took 64 hours.) Unfortunately I can't get it
to work.

I'm using the emulator Arculator with

*configure idediscs 1

The author (Tom Walker) said I should add 512 bytes onto the
front and back of my IDE image file, which I did.

Then I get the error "Disc not understood - has it been formatted?"

Tom thought the disc might have a strange ordering or something.
Is anyone able to give me any suggestions of things to try?

More details, I've no idea how much of this is actually useful:

*Free works on the disc and returns the correct size, but not the
correct split between free and used:

free &000d1300
used &050fed00

(total &51d0000 - that's the correct size of the original image)

I've tried running

SYS "ADFS_DiscOp",,9,(4<<29)+A%,D%,S%

from within the emulator and comparing with the hdf file. It seems to
have all the right data, but not necessarily in the right order...

Finding what ADFS_DiscOp returns in the IDE image file gives (for the
first 64K):

ADFS_ Offset in hd.hdf
DiscOp,,9 (or 0 if all zeros)

0000-0bff 0
0c00-0dff 00e00-00fff
0e00-1fff 0
2000-3fff 08000-09fff
4000-5fff 0
6000-62ff 07800-07aff
6300-7fff 17f00-19bff
8000-8fff 1fa00-219ff
9000-bfff 27800-297ff
c000-dfff 2f600-315ff
e000-ffff 37400-393ff

Running fsck on the A3000 gives me:

sector size 512
sectors per track 16
heads (sides) 14
density 0 (HardDisc)
Length of ID field 13
bytes per map bit (LFAU) 1024
track to track sector skew 0
boot options 2 (Run)
num of zones 21
unused bits in zone 72
address of root dir &8000022B
disc size 85786624 bytes (81 Mb)
disc ID 38938
disc name Bob
disc type &FCD

Writing inside the A3000 on the HD hardware:

Board: 1992 Watford Electronics A3000 IDE interface
HardDisc: Seagate ST9100A
Chip: WE, IDE A3k for BBC Micro

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

tom.n...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2006, 4:54:44 AM8/1/06
I've run ADFS_DescribeDisc,":4" in Arculator

Some information is consistent with fsck on the A3000, some is wrong.
The SWI returns:

log2secsize = 9 (correct = 512)
secspertrack = 16 (correct)
heads = 14 (correct)