Beagleboard xm power supply

Alan Dawes

Nov 8, 2010, 10:39:31 AM11/8/10
Having just ordered a Beagleboard xm I have been looking for items to go
with it using the ROUGOL site
http://rougol.jellybaby.net/meetings/2010/ingredients as a guide and found
among this month's offers that Maplin's a regulated power supply which at
5V will give 5A (it is switchable to voltages up 15V with 4A available at
the higher voltages) which should be ample for powering anything that
might be attached to the Beagle board's USB ports, for the same price as
the 2.5Amp one that was recommended on the ingredients list. It has the
Maplin ref L11BQ see: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517

Alan

--
alan....@argonet.co.uk
alan....@riscos.org

m...@privacy.net

Nov 8, 2010, 7:01:04 PM11/8/10
On 8 Nov,
Alan Dawes <alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Having just ordered a Beagleboard xm I have been looking for items to go
> with it using the ROUGOL site
> http://rougol.jellybaby.net/meetings/2010/ingredients as a guide and found
> among this month's offers that Maplin's a regulated power supply which at
> 5V will give 5A (it is switchable to voltages up 15V with 4A available at
> the higher voltages) which should be ample for powering anything that
> might be attached to the Beagle board's USB ports, for the same price as
> the 2.5Amp one that was recommended on the ingredients list. It has the
> Maplin ref L11BQ see: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517

I've just got one of those, but for a different application, a software
defined radio. 13.5 volts at up to 2 A. So far it's been fine

--
Brian D
VirtualRPC-AdjustSA

Stuart

Nov 9, 2010, 3:31:33 AM11/9/10
In article <5173037436...@argonet.co.uk>,

Alan Dawes <alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> (it is switchable to voltages up 15V with 4A available at
> the higher voltages)

Just make sure that once you have selected it to 5V, there is no way of
accidentally re-selecting it to a higher voltage!

--
Stuart Winsor

m...@privacy.net

Nov 9, 2010, 6:08:30 PM11/9/10
On 9 Nov,
Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

Or reversing the tip to give the wrong polarity.

Alan Dawes

Nov 10, 2010, 4:39:45 AM11/10/10
In article <5173B056CF%brian...@lycos.co.uk>,

<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 9 Nov,
> Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <5173037436...@argonet.co.uk>,
> > Alan Dawes <alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > (it is switchable to voltages up 15V with 4A available at
> > > the higher voltages)
> >
> > Just make sure that once you have selected it to 5V, there is no way of
> > accidentally re-selecting it to a higher voltage!
> >
> Or reversing the tip to give the wrong polarity.

The instructions are clear on that and if paranoid it's easy enough to
check with a multimeter. The + on the tip must be in line with the "tip"
marking on the lead.

To change the voltage you need a srewdriver to turn the rotary switch
which is flush with the case so there's no way to accidentally change the
voltage.

The Beagleboard xm arrived from Farnell yesterday and is working fine from
this power supply (ie boots into the Angstrom LINUX command line - login
as "root") but haven't yet installed RISCOS. Without a USB socket on my
RiscPC, I'm going to have to use the Beagleboard to Acorn format the USB
stick.

Howard Dawson

Nov 10, 2010, 3:21:50 PM11/10/10
In article <5173ea2feb...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Dawes

<alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> The Beagleboard xm arrived from Farnell yesterday and is working fine from
> this power supply (ie boots into the Angstrom LINUX command line - login
> as "root") but haven't yet installed RISCOS. Without a USB socket on my
> RiscPC, I'm going to have to use the Beagleboard to Acorn format the USB
> stick.
>
> Alan

Hi, I've also just received one today from Farnell, but like Alan only have
an RPC with no USB.
Problem is I can't see how you can format the USB stick initially on the BB
as you have nowhere to run !SCSIForm from to format that first stick. I had
assumed I would have to beg on this group for an Iyonix + card reader owner
to do this for me.
I assume you can format any further sticks to ADFS on the BB once you have
one ADFS stick with !SCSIForm on it.

Or is there some other way?

Cheers
Howard.

--
-------------
Howard Dawson

hsda...@ormail.co.uk

http://hd-audio.orpheusweb.co.uk/
---------------------------------

Alan P Dawes

Nov 11, 2010, 2:58:46 AM11/11/10
In article <na.e224f85174....@ormail.co.uk>,

Howard Dawson <hsda...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5173ea2feb...@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Dawes
> <alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > The Beagleboard xm arrived from Farnell yesterday and is working fine
> > from this power supply (ie boots into the Angstrom LINUX command line
> > - login as "root") but haven't yet installed RISCOS. Without a USB
> > socket on my RiscPC, I'm going to have to use the Beagleboard to Acorn
> > format the USB stick.
> >
> > Alan
> >

> Hi, I've also just received one today from Farnell, but like Alan only
> have an RPC with no USB. Problem is I can't see how you can format the
> USB stick initially on the BB as you have nowhere to run !SCSIForm from
> to format that first stick. I had assumed I would have to beg on this
> group for an Iyonix + card reader owner to do this for me. I assume you
> can format any further sticks to ADFS on the BB once you have one ADFS
> stick with !SCSIForm on it.

> Or is there some other way?

Provided you have a small DOS formatted USB stick that you can copy files
onto via a PC etc then it is possible.
The method is described under the section of the instructions headed
"Putting the HardDisc4 image onto a USB drive"
"If you have an existing RISC OS device with USB support"
on
http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/pages/Using+the+Cortex-A8+port

I've not tried it yet as had difficulties getting my card reader to read
the microSD card. My understading is that the once you have booted into
RISCOS from the SDcard the Beagleboard will read a DOS formatted USB card
that is smaller than 2Gbyte so put the self extracting HardDisc4 image on
that along with a taskexec listed on that page will do all that is
necessary to allow you to format the same or a larger USB stick on the
beagleboard and then transfer the extracted HardDisc4 onto it.

I am assuming that for those of us without a RISCOS machine with USB and
if you've not got the network working, we can still transfer zipped files
to the Beagleboard using the small DOS formatted USB stick via a PC.

trevj

Nov 11, 2010, 4:03:30 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 7:58 am, Alan P Dawes <alan.da...@riscos.org> wrote:

> Provided you have a small DOS formatted USB stick that you can copy files
> onto via a PC etc then it is possible.
> The method is described under the section of the instructions headed
> "Putting the HardDisc4 image onto a USB drive"
> "If you have an existing RISC OS device with USB support"

Or even "If you don’t have an existing RISC OS device with USB
support"
^^^^^

> onhttp://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/pages/Using+the+Cortex-A...

> I've not tried it yet as had difficulties getting my card reader to read
> the microSD card. My understading is that the once you have booted into
> RISCOS from the SDcard the Beagleboard will read a DOS formatted USB card
> that is smaller than 2Gbyte so put the self extracting HardDisc4 image on
> that along with a taskexec listed on that page will do all that is
> necessary to allow you to format the same or a larger USB stick on the
> beagleboard and then transfer the extracted HardDisc4 onto it.

If the process doesn't work for you, I'd suggest posting in the ROOL
forum:
http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/477

> I am assuming that for those of us without a RISCOS machine with USB and
> if you've not got the network working, we can still transfer zipped files
> to the Beagleboard using the small DOS formatted USB stick via a PC.

You'll need Jeffrey Lee's ARMv7-safe 'unzip' too:
http://phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/unzip.bin

This can be put in your Library directory (or duplicated into each
directory containing a zipfile if you prefer) and then be used for
unzipping archives from a Task Window. Note that you'll need a
wimpslot of at least 700k in order to run:
http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/340#posts-3301

trevj

Nov 11, 2010, 4:19:33 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 9:03 am, trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> You'll need Jeffrey Lee's ARMv7-safe 'unzip' too:http://phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/unzip.bin

I forgot to say, this utility (and any other files, e.g. the MDF) can
of course be copied to the newly-formatted device after you've copied
the boot sequence, i.e. after step 5 in the 'Creating your HardDisc4
boot disc' instructions which will be created by running the TaskExec
file.

John Williams (News)

Nov 11, 2010, 4:54:19 AM11/11/10
In article
<961e520c-44f9-4bd3...@f16g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

> http://phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/unzip.bin

> I forgot to say, this utility

Is this an Absolute file or a Utility - or what?

John

--
John Williams, Brittany, Northern France - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject!

trevj

Nov 11, 2010, 5:38:59 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 9:54 am, "John Williams (News)" <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> Is this an Absolute file or a Utility - or what?

The link to the forum post here clarifies that it's Absolute:

> > This can be put in your Library directory (or duplicated into each
> > directory containing a zipfile if you prefer) and then be used for
> > unzipping archives from a Task Window. Note that you'll need a
> > wimpslot of at least 700k in order to run:
> > http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/340#posts-3301

Although it would have perhaps been clearer if I'd also included this
link - sorry:
http://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/

trevj

Nov 11, 2010, 5:44:27 AM11/11/10
On Nov 11, 9:19 am, trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

> I forgot to say, this utility (and any other files, e.g. the MDF) can
> of course be copied to the newly-formatted device after you've copied

^^^^^^
(from your DOS device with the HardDisc4 image and TaskExec file on,
if you also place it/them there)

Alan Dawes

Nov 11, 2010, 11:18:13 AM11/11/10
In article
<4ed7d25d-d0e7-41e9...@f16g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,

trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 7:58 am, Alan P Dawes <alan.da...@riscos.org> wrote:

> > Provided you have a small DOS formatted USB stick that you can copy
> > files onto via a PC etc then it is possible. The method is described
> > under the section of the instructions headed "Putting the HardDisc4
> > image onto a USB drive" "If you have an existing RISC OS device with
> > USB support"

> Or even "If you don’t have an existing RISC OS device with USB
> support"
> ^^^^^

Whoops! :-)

> > on http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/pages/Using+the+Cortex-A...

> > I've not tried it yet as had difficulties getting my card reader to
> > read the microSD card. My understading is that the once you have
> > booted into RISCOS from the SDcard the Beagleboard will read a DOS
> > formatted USB card that is smaller than 2Gbyte so put the self
> > extracting HardDisc4 image on that along with a taskexec listed on
> > that page will do all that is necessary to allow you to format the
> > same or a larger USB stick on the beagleboard and then transfer the
> > extracted HardDisc4 onto it.

> If the process doesn't work for you, I'd suggest posting in the ROOL
> forum:
> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/477

Thanks it has worked once I'd discovered why !SDCreate wouldn't work - see
my other post.

> > I am assuming that for those of us without a RISCOS machine with USB
> > and if you've not got the network working, we can still transfer
> > zipped files to the Beagleboard using the small DOS formatted USB
> > stick via a PC.

> You'll need Jeffrey Lee's ARMv7-safe 'unzip' too:
> http://phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/unzip.bin

> This can be put in your Library directory (or duplicated into each
> directory containing a zipfile if you prefer) and then be used for
> unzipping archives from a Task Window. Note that you'll need a
> wimpslot of at least 700k in order to run:
> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/340#posts-3301

Thanks very much for that - The first thing I intend to put on it is the
latest version of David Pilling's !SparkFS 1.42 which is listed as working
on the board.

Alan Dawes

Nov 11, 2010, 11:07:23 AM11/11/10
In article <517464c73e...@argonet.co.uk>,

http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/pages/Using+the+Cortex-A8+prt

> I've not tried it yet as had difficulties getting my card reader to read
> the microSD card. My understading is that the once you have booted into
> RISCOS from the SDcard the Beagleboard will read a DOS formatted USB card
> that is smaller than 2Gbyte so put the self extracting HardDisc4 image on
> that along with a taskexec listed on that page will do all that is
> necessary to allow you to format the same or a larger USB stick on the
> beagleboard and then transfer the extracted HardDisc4 onto it.

> I am assuming that for those of us without a RISCOS machine with USB and
> if you've not got the network working, we can still transfer zipped files
> to the Beagleboard using the small DOS formatted USB stick via a PC.

Have now successfully created an 8MB Acorn formatted USB card on the
Beagleboard as per the instructions and it is running RISCOS.

The problem I had this morning was getting !SDCreate not to crash on
either of my RISC PCs (one running ROS4.02 the other Adjust 4.39) or
VirtualRPC Adjust 4.39. The instructions say that !SDCreate require at
least DDEUtils 1.52 and FrontEnd 1.15 so I assumed that DDEUtils 1.59 and
FrontEnd 1.16 which are in the ROS Ltd's UniBoot see
http://acorn.riscos.com/riscos/releases/UniBoot/
would work but no. Searching ROOLs site I found DDEUtils 1.66 and FrontEnd
1.30. Installing these in !Boot now allows !SDCreate to work properly.

Another tip buy the thinnest USB stick you can get not one with a fatter
rounder profile (as I did) as this will effectively block the lower USB
socket without a lot of flexing and forcing in the other connector.

Alan Dawes

Nov 11, 2010, 3:35:43 PM11/11/10
> > I am assuming that for those of us without a RISCOS machine with USB
> > and if you've not got the network working, we can still transfer
> > zipped files to the Beagleboard using the small DOS formatted USB
> > stick via a PC.

> You'll need Jeffrey Lee's ARMv7-safe 'unzip' too:
> http://phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/unzip.bin

> This can be put in your Library directory (or duplicated into each
> directory containing a zipfile if you prefer) and then be used for
> unzipping archives from a Task Window. Note that you'll need a
> wimpslot of at least 700k in order to run:
> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/340#posts-3301

Unfortunately I couldn't get Unzip to work - it kept giving an error like
no memory at that address. After a lot of head scratching, I used
!LanMan98 to transfer an uncompressed version of !SparkFS 1.42 to the PC
and from there to a DOS format USB stick and from there into the
beagleboard and onto the Acorn format USB stick. It was then a simple if
tedious process to set the correct file type for each file in !SparkFS (as
!LanMan98 appends the file type in hex to the file name you just copy it)
(if you select all the files with a particular type you can set them in
one process) and then remove the ,ff8 etc from the ends of the file names
- once complete it ran first time and I was then able to use it to
uncompress the other xipped applications.

Now if only there were a driver for the onboard ethernet connector.

trevj

Nov 12, 2010, 12:53:10 AM11/12/10
On Nov 11, 8:35 pm, Alan Dawes <alan.da...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately I couldn't get Unzip to work - it kept giving an error like
> no memory at that address. After a lot of head scratching, I used

Strange. I've had that before but found that the Wimpslot change fixed
it.

> !LanMan98 to transfer an uncompressed version of !SparkFS 1.42 to the PC
> and from there to a DOS format USB stick and from there into the
> beagleboard and onto the Acorn format USB stick. It was then a simple if
> tedious process to set the correct file type for each file in !SparkFS (as
> !LanMan98 appends the file type in hex to the file name you just copy it)
> (if you select all the files with a particular type you can set them in
> one process) and then remove the ,ff8 etc from the ends of the file names
> - once complete it ran first time and I was then able to use it to
> uncompress the other xipped applications.

Phew!

> Now if only there were a driver for the onboard ethernet connector.

Keep your eyes on the forum thread - in the mean time, can you borrow/
buy a USB-ethernet adapter?
http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/467

patric aristide

Nov 16, 2010, 6:05:54 AM11/16/10
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 23:39:31 +0800, Alan Dawes <alan....@argonet.co.uk>
wrote:

Thought I read something about this but now that I need the information
I can't retrieve it. Bought the same psu as above but my goal is to build
it into the case. Obviously I don't need 10m heavy wire inside.
Plan is to run it through a chock block in order to power both BB and hub.
We're talking 5V DC here and yes, I'll even use an in-line fuse. 3A for the
beagle and 2 for the hub, perfect.
However: cutting the DC lead revealed a coaxial cable. Um like no red and
black wires?

Wot now?

patric

Chris Johnson

Nov 16, 2010, 2:52:11 PM11/16/10
In article <op.vl9fr4uvfkmjss@localhost>,

patric aristide <p.ari...@gmx.de> wrote:
> However: cutting the DC lead revealed a coaxial cable. Um like no
> red and black wires?

A multimeter?

--
Chris Johnson

patric aristide

Nov 16, 2010, 7:32:38 AM11/16/10

I'm not worried about the polarity but how do you cleanly
separate the wire? Just peel of the shielding and use heat shrink?

Steve Fryatt

Nov 16, 2010, 4:19:27 PM11/16/10
On 16 Nov, patric aristide wrote in message
<op.vl9jsodxfkmjss@localhost>:

Presumably. Or just strip back the outer sleeve far enough that the inner
insulation protrudes out clear of the screen wire. It depends on how you
plan to make the connection, and how neatly you do it, to some extent.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Show
Saturday 16 April 2011

Alan Adams

Nov 16, 2010, 4:35:18 PM11/16/10
In message <op.vl9jsodxfkmjss@localhost>
"patric aristide" <p.ari...@gmx.de> wrote:

Yes. Make sure there are no fine wires from the screen still touching
the centre - one will probably melt, two or more might fry the
adapter. Not all units are adequately current-limited.

Maplin units are usually + on the centre, - on the screen.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
al...@adamshome.org.uk

Message has been deleted

patric aristide

Nov 17, 2010, 6:25:40 AM11/17/10
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:09:07 +0800, Stuart <Spa...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <op.vl9jsodxfkmjss@localhost>,

> patric aristide <p.ari...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> I'm not worried about the polarity but how do you cleanly
>> separate the wire? Just peel of the shielding and use heat shrink?
>

> Normal procedure would be to strip back the outer insulation for about
> 15mm, gather all the strands of the outer braid and twist lightly
> together. Fold this back along the outer and solder a "tail" to it of
> insulated wire, which you bring forward to be level with the end of the
> (still insulated) inner. Heatshrink over your soldered joint ensuring all
> bare wire is covered. (note: adhesive lined heatshrink is best as it
> anchors everything nicely together)

Great advice, thanks indeed!

patric aristide

Nov 17, 2010, 6:41:04 AM11/17/10
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:35:18 +0800, Alan Adams <al...@adamshome.org.uk>
wrote:

> Maplin units are usually + on the centre, - on the screen.

Got out the multimeter, well had to buy a new one first as mine
was knackered (as usual). So yes, you're right: positive on centre

Matthew Phillips

Nov 18, 2010, 2:39:00 AM11/18/10
In message <5173037436...@argonet.co.uk>

on 8 Nov 2010 Alan Dawes wrote:

> Having just ordered a Beagleboard xm I have been looking for items to go
> with it using the ROUGOL site
> http://rougol.jellybaby.net/meetings/2010/ingredients as a guide and found
> among this month's offers that Maplin's a regulated power supply which at
> 5V will give 5A (it is switchable to voltages up 15V with 4A available at
> the higher voltages) which should be ample for powering anything that
> might be attached to the Beagle board's USB ports, for the same price as
> the 2.5Amp one that was recommended on the ingredients list. It has the
> Maplin ref L11BQ see: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517

Where does it say it will give 5A and 5V? The specification seems to say it
is 4A max, whatever the voltage.

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham

JV

Nov 18, 2010, 4:38:46 AM11/18/10
In message <19d2fd775...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>
Matthew Phillips <mn...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

The leaflet that comes in the box with the adaptor (Maplin Model
L11BQ) states:

3. Set the DC votage selector to the desired voltage position.
(5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V at 5A or 13.5V/15V at 4A).

JV

Chris Evans

Nov 18, 2010, 5:08:47 AM11/18/10
In article <19d2fd775...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>, Matthew Phillips

I only ever use a slider voltage setting PSU if I don't have the correct
single voltage PSU and then only to confirm the item is working, I then get
the correct voltage PSU. The slider can so easily be knocked!
When I couldn't get a correct PSU quickly enough, I have resorted to cutting
small pieces of card out that fit in the recess either side of the slider and
then taping them in place.

IMPORTANT the BeagleBoard does not have onboard regulation so the correct
voltage is ESSENTIAL.

Items that have onboard regulation can be very tollerant of the wrong
voltage (I've seen a digital item spec'd at 5V running off 12V with no
apparent ill effects[1], I've even seen DC equipment running of an AC PSU or
it may have been the other way round)
[1]Reduced life expectancy?

Advert mode ON
We do have suitable PSU's and many other bits for BeagleBoards in stock
including RTC Batteries!

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D 'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222 Fax: 01903 523679

Alan Dawes

Nov 18, 2010, 8:34:34 AM11/18/10
In article <ant18104...@client.cjemicros.co.uk>,

Chris Evans <ch...@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <19d2fd775...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>, Matthew Phillips
> <URL:mailto:mn...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <5173037436...@argonet.co.uk>
> > on 8 Nov 2010 Alan Dawes wrote:
> >
> > > Having just ordered a Beagleboard xm I have been looking for items
> > > to go with it using the ROUGOL site
> > > http://rougol.jellybaby.net/meetings/2010/ingredients as a guide and
> > > found among this month's offers that Maplin's a regulated power
> > > supply which at 5V will give 5A (it is switchable to voltages up 15V
> > > with 4A available at the higher voltages) which should be ample for
> > > powering anything that might be attached to the Beagle board's USB
> > > ports, for the same price as the 2.5Amp one that was recommended on
> > > the ingredients list. It has the Maplin ref L11BQ see:
> > > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517
> >
> > Where does it say it will give 5A and 5V? The specification seems to
> > say it is 4A max, whatever the voltage.

> I only ever use a slider voltage setting PSU if I don't have the correct
> single voltage PSU and then only to confirm the item is working, I then
> get the correct voltage PSU. The slider can so easily be knocked! When I
> couldn't get a correct PSU quickly enough, I have resorted to cutting
> small pieces of card out that fit in the recess either side of the
> slider and then taping them in place.

I would agree for slider controlled PSUs but there is no slider on this PSU
just a slightly recessed rotary switch which is fairly stiff and requires a
screw driver to alter it.

> IMPORTANT the BeagleBoard does not have onboard regulation so the
> correct voltage is ESSENTIAL.

Whilst this is true for the original Beagleboard (see p30 in the reference
manual), according to p32 in the Beagleboard-xM System Reference Manual,
the xM does have over voltage circuitry:
"Connecting anything other than 5V will activate the over voltage
circuitry, turning on a red LED. The board will not function until the
correct power supply is used."

> Items that have onboard regulation can be very tollerant of the wrong
> voltage (I've seen a digital item spec'd at 5V running off 12V with no
> apparent ill effects[1], I've even seen DC equipment running of an AC
> PSU or it may have been the other way round) [1]Reduced life expectancy?

> Advert mode ON
> We do have suitable PSU's and many other bits for BeagleBoards in stock
> including RTC Batteries!

When I bought the Maplin power supply, I thought from your 24Aug post to
c.s.a.announce that you were only selling complete add on packs for the
Beagleboard-xM rather than individual items, otherwise I would have come
to you.

Alan Dawes

Nov 18, 2010, 8:11:15 AM11/18/10
In article <19d2fd775...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>,

On the instruction sheet that comes with it in item 3:
"Set the DC voltage selector to the desired voltage position

(5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V at 5A or 13.5V/15V at 4A)"

Alan

Kevin Wells

Nov 18, 2010, 11:17:39 AM11/18/10
In message <51781e5eda...@argonet.co.uk>
Alan Dawes <alan....@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> IMPORTANT the BeagleBoard does not have onboard regulation so the
>> correct voltage is ESSENTIAL.
>
>Whilst this is true for the original Beagleboard (see p30 in the reference
>manual), according to p32 in the Beagleboard-xM System Reference Manual,
>the xM does have over voltage circuitry:
>"Connecting anything other than 5V will activate the over voltage
>circuitry, turning on a red LED. The board will not function until the
>correct power supply is used."

Who would be willing to test that out though?

--
Kev Wells http://riscos.kevsoft.co.uk/
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ http://kevsoft.co.uk/AleQuest/

druck

Nov 20, 2010, 4:45:48 AM11/20/10
On 18/11/2010 13:34, Alan Dawes wrote:
> In article<ant18104...@client.cjemicros.co.uk>,
> Chris Evans<ch...@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote:
>> I only ever use a slider voltage setting PSU if I don't have the correct
>> single voltage PSU and then only to confirm the item is working, I then
>> get the correct voltage PSU. The slider can so easily be knocked!
>
> I would agree for slider controlled PSUs but there is no slider on this PSU
> just a slightly recessed rotary switch which is fairly stiff and requires a
> screw driver to alter it.
>
>> IMPORTANT the BeagleBoard does not have onboard regulation so the
>> correct voltage is ESSENTIAL.

It's load regulation that variable voltage PSUs often lack. Regardless
of where the switch is set, under low load the voltage can drift up
considerably. Only ever use a fix voltage regulated PSU with anything
you don't want to be eventually fried.

---druck

Matthew Phillips

Nov 24, 2010, 2:41:43 AM11/24/10
In message <ic85c7$dl7$1...@news.eternal-september.org>

on 20 Nov 2010 druck wrote:

> It's load regulation that variable voltage PSUs often lack. Regardless of
> where the switch is set, under low load the voltage can drift up
> considerably. Only ever use a fix voltage regulated PSU with anything you
> don't want to be eventually fried.

For what it's worth, the operating instructions of the Maplin power supply
mentioned at the start of this thread state that it is a "regulated 5000mA AC
adapter". It warns against attempting to draw too much current, but not
against low load leading to excess voltage.

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham