question about an old beeb game

G.A.Varley

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

Was there ever a game called 'Clogger'...Frogger clone?

Thanks

Andrew Clover

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

gl...@cbl.leeds.ac.uk ("G.A.Varley") wrote:

> Was there ever a game called 'Clogger'...Frogger clone?

There was a game called Clogger, but it wasn't a Frogger clone at all. It
was a Repton-style puzzle game involving pushing bits of jigsaw around to get
a picture to complete the level. You also had to collect all the pies, and
there were other odd elements getting in your way. It took blummin' ages to
get anywhere in it.

It was written by Gordon Key and marketed by 4D. I've prolly got a snap
somewhere; I certainly had it for the Beeb.

BCNU, AjC

Rik Griffin

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

In article <33CA1C...@cbl.leeds.ac.uk>,

gl...@cbl.leeds.ac.uk ("G.A.Varley") wrote:

> Was there ever a game called 'Clogger'...Frogger clone?

As far as I remember it was a free game from an AU cover disc. It was a
repton style maze game, not a frogger clone.

--
Element of the day: Ytterbium, symbol Yb, number 70, row 6, lanthanide.

Acorn User Editorial

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

In article <47A9B4342E%mo...@cheesey.demon.co.uk>
mo...@cheesey.demon.co.uk (Rik Griffin) wrote:

> In article <33CA1C...@cbl.leeds.ac.uk>,
> gl...@cbl.leeds.ac.uk ("G.A.Varley") wrote:
>
> > Was there ever a game called 'Clogger'...Frogger clone?
>
> As far as I remember it was a free game from an AU cover disc. It was a
> repton style maze game, not a frogger clone.

Yes, I remember Clogger. It came on a cover floppy disc (5 1/4" disc) with
the December 1988 issue of Micro User. It was a disc full of Cheat It Again
Joe er... cheats, but there was a demo of Clogger on it as well.

It had one of the most annoying tunes to ever come out of the BBC Micro.

What has happened to Gordon Key lately? He does AU coverdisc versions of
old Arc games now, but what is he up to nowadays? I remember an interview
in Micro User about him, and he mentioned running a business restoring
old buses.

I remember his type in games - Dino, Block Breaker, Dune Hunter. Brilliant
stuff. And E-type was classic. I still remember that frilly skirt flying
up whenever you crashed :)

Steve Scott

on work experience at Acorn User, thus using the editor's e-mail address;
--
Steve Turnbull (Editor, Acorn User, aued...@idg.co.uk)
http://www.idg.co.uk/acornuser/

Andrew Docking

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Acorn User Editorial <aued...@post.idg.co.uk> wrote:

> What has happened to Gordon Key lately? He does AU coverdisc versions of
> old Arc games now, but what is he up to nowadays?

Still beavering away on Acorn machines... just not doing games
if that's what you mean.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Insomnia Studios /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ An Oregan Company \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Andrew Docking - Programmer

and...@insomnia-studios.demon.co.uk
http://www.insomnia-studios.demon.co.uk

Jim or Rob White

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

(Rik Griffin) wrote:
> As far as I remember it was a free game from an AU cover disc.

No, No, No, there was a free demo on the BEEBUG Welcome disk.
Y`know, the one with the "Cheat it Again Joe" apps?

Rob

--
Jim White ZFC Ag ji...@argonet.co.uk
*or*

Uploaded to fleece.argonet.co.uk on Tue,15 Jul 1997.21:16:44

Matthew Hambley

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

On the 14th of July, Rik Griffin wrote this on the subject of Re: question
about an old beeb game:

RG> > Was there ever a game called 'Clogger'...Frogger clone?
RG>
RG> As far as I remember it was a free game from an AU cover disc. It was a
RG> repton style maze game, not a frogger clone.

I believe the AU cover disc was simply a demo. Wasn't the actual game
released by Impact Software. Maybe it was an embreonic 4thD who did it.
I don't seem to have that issue of AU so I can't check.

(\/)atthew
--
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
| / \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \ | The Archimedes Bulletin Board in London |

Richard Wilson

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <na.d134b247a...@argonet.co.uk>, Jim or Rob White

<URL:mailto:ji...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <47A9B4342E%mo...@cheesey.demon.co.uk>, mo...@cheesey.demon.co.uk
> (Rik Griffin) wrote:
> > As far as I remember it was a free game from an AU cover disc.
>
> No, No, No, there was a free demo on the BEEBUG Welcome disk.
> Y`know, the one with the "Cheat it Again Joe" apps?

No. It was definately on a Micro User cover disk. As was a demo of one
of the "Cheat it Again Joe" thingys.

Cheers, Richard.

Jim or Rob White

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <f11f1...@acornuser.idg.co.uk>, Acorn User Editorial

<aued...@post.idg.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, I remember Clogger. It came on a cover floppy disc (5 1/4" disc) with
> the December 1988 issue of Micro User.

Doh!

Maybe I was wrong (for once :oP)

Rob

--
Jim White ZFC Ag ji...@argonet.co.uk
*or*
Rob White ZFC Si tre...@argonet.co.uk Wimbledon London England

Uploaded to fleece.argonet.co.uk on Wed,16 Jul 1997.19:17:39

Matthew Hambley

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On the 15th of July, Andrew Docking wrote this on the subject of Re: question

about an old beeb game:
AD> > What has happened to Gordon Key lately? He does AU coverdisc versions
AD> of
AD> > old Arc games now, but what is he up to nowadays?
AD>
AD> Still beavering away on Acorn machines... just not doing games
AD> if that's what you mean.

That's a pitty actually. I had no end of fun with E-type even if I did have
to constantly say "No, not R-type" whenever I mentioned it.