VOTI - Visions Of The Impossible - Officially Closed

Nathan Atkinson

May 16, 2002, 12:11:04 PM5/16/02
The majority of RISC OS gamers know that VOTI have not done any development
recently and many of you know that I have ceased all in-house software
development due to personal differences with RISC OS' lead companies.

This is an official statement to inform you that VOTI is now officially
closed and will not be developing software. The reasons for this are
two-fold:

1) Owain (main programmer) now has a job with a software firm and like Paul
Thomson he does not want to write software around the clock.
2) Owain and the rest of us feel that the market will not recover from it's
current situation and our enthusiasm has gone due to the "head factions" in
the RISC OS world.

What about our software? Our software will remain under the conditions of
each respective program original documentation.

EMD and all other projects (bar one, see below) are cancelled and we will
not be releasing the code to the public domain for the forseeable future.

As mentioned above there is still one project being worked on, the reason
for this is that it is set for a commercial release so we are being paid.
Like Krisalis software many years ago they left the market after releasing
the brilliant Alone In The Dark, VOTI will leave with a bang. I cannot and
will not mention any details about the project but it is big and if/when
finished will show what a real game is like.

The VOTI site is now used for my own little hobby but has Java Foul Egg and
a small amount of information relating to the RISC OS scene.

The remaining members are currently taking stock of the situation and may
reappear under a different banner just to keep a group spirit .

Thanks to our supporters, we have had an enjoyable time over the years and
made a good number of friends. It is time to close the VOTI era so once
again thank you all from Owain, Nathan, Lee, Andrew and Gordon.

See you around.

Nathan - Former Team Leader of Visions Of The Impossible.
~~
VOTI site: http://www.visionsoftheimpossible.co.uk

--------MESSAGE ENDS--------

Jon Hall

May 16, 2002, 4:50:21 PM5/16/02
In message <NOQE8.3723$Ag2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>
"Nathan Atkinson" <wrath...@spondly.ntlworld.com.naff> wrote:

> This is an official statement to inform you that VOTI is now officially
> closed and will not be developing software.

So long and thanks for all the fish. The logo on my VOTI T Shirt has
faded anyway;)
Jon.

--
jgc....@tiscali.co.uk
www.argonet.co.uk/users/jghall/

lee.acorn

May 16, 2002, 8:04:15 PM5/16/02
Cant Say ill miss the ignorant scum!

alan.calder

May 17, 2002, 4:38:57 AM5/17/02
In article <3ce44...@news1.vip.uk.com>,

lee.acorn <lee....@whsmithnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Cant Say ill miss the ignorant scum!

Pot calling kettles! Why aren't you in bed? Does your mum know you're
still up?

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

Nathan Atkinson

May 17, 2002, 7:26:24 AM5/17/02

"Jon Hall" <jgc....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <NOQE8.3723$Ag2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>
> "Nathan Atkinson" <wrath...@spondly.ntlworld.com.naff> wrote:
>

> > This is an official statement to inform you that VOTI is now officially
> > closed and will not be developing software.
>
> So long and thanks for all the fish. The logo on my VOTI T Shirt has
> faded anyway;)

I'll send some eggs to you soon ;-)

Nathan Atkinson

May 17, 2002, 7:27:32 AM5/17/02

"lee.acorn" <lee....@whsmithnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Cant Say ill miss the ignorant scum!

At least we've done a damn sight more then you, turkey boy.

Jon Hall

May 17, 2002, 10:19:45 AM5/17/02
In message <UJ5F8.1031$nW2....@news8-gui.server.ntli.net>
"Nathan Atkinson" <wrath...@spondly.ntlworld.com.naff> wrote:

LOL:)
Jon.

--
jgc....@tiscali.co.uk
www.argonet.co.uk/users/jghall/

Bill Kotsias (Fantasia FAN)

May 17, 2002, 3:54:27 PM5/17/02
Hello, Nathan. I was really depressed by your posting... :-(

Nathan Atkinson wrote:

> The majority of RISC OS gamers know that VOTI have not done any
> development recently and many of you know that I have ceased all
> in-house software development due to personal differences with RISC
> OS' lead companies.

It seems that I have missed lots of episodes. Could it be possible for
you to enlighten me in a sentence or two..? I know RISC OS Ltd sucks
big time, but that`s not reason enough for me to part with RISC OS,
it isn`t their work after all. BTW, which commercial company doesn`t
suck anyway, nobody`s in for love. :-(

> 1) Owain (main programmer) now has a job with a software firm and like
> Paul Thomson he does not want to write software around the clock.

That may happen to me soon, but I won`t stop working on RISC OS when
I can... or maybe that`s what I say! :-(

> 2) Owain and the rest of us feel that the market will not recover from
> it's current situation and our enthusiasm has gone due to the "head
> factions" in the RISC OS world.

Now, I need a bit more of explanation. What`s that "head faction"?

> EMD and all other projects (bar one, see below) are cancelled and we
> will not be releasing the code to the public domain for the forseeable
> future.

That`s good, I hope you do make a come back some time, at least after
the ROS Ltd heads get cut. ;-)

> As mentioned above there is still one project being worked on, the
> reason for this is that it is set for a commercial release so we are
> being paid.

Hmmm... This is so tempting to ask about. Well, if it`s secret, you
don`t have to tell... (quick, tell me now!!!) ;-)

I realise though that, working on something because it`s a job and not
by enthusiasm tends to become "compulsory labor", so you may not like
to talk about it at all...

> VOTI will leave with a bang. I cannot and
> will not mention any details about the project but it is big and
> if/when finished will show what a real game is like.

That`s good news whatsoever.

> The VOTI site is now used for my own little hobby but has Java Foul
> Egg and a small amount of information relating to the RISC OS scene.

I wonder how would a Super Foul Egg GBA conversion be accepted by
the GBA market? ;-)

> The remaining members are currently taking stock of the situation and
> may reappear under a different banner just to keep a group spirit .

We`ll be looking for _your_ feedback too, you know.

> See you around.

Please, don`t disappear!

Cheers,

Bill

Owen Griffin

May 17, 2002, 4:30:54 PM5/17/02
On the 17 May Nathan Atkinson wrote

Bitch fight.

--
Snig of #riscos
If I'm not making sense then check my parity bit

Nathan Atkinson

May 17, 2002, 4:50:41 PM5/17/02
"Bill Kotsias (Fantasia FAN)" <fant...@hol.gr> wrote in message

> Hello, Nathan. I was really depressed by your posting... :-(

Sorry mate but Owain was one of the original founders, wouldn't be VOTI if
it wasn't for Owain.

> Nathan Atkinson wrote:
>
> > The majority of RISC OS gamers know that VOTI have not done any
> > development recently and many of you know that I have ceased all
> > in-house software development due to personal differences with RISC
> > OS' lead companies.
>
> It seems that I have missed lots of episodes. Could it be possible for
> you to enlighten me in a sentence or two..? I know RISC OS Ltd sucks
> big time, but that`s not reason enough for me to part with RISC OS,
> it isn`t their work after all. BTW, which commercial company doesn`t
> suck anyway, nobody`s in for love. :-(

Depends on your sliding scale of "suck". What I mean by "suck" is that ROL
are doing their best to knacker the market (IMHO before any court
proceedings come my way) completely. Then you have main companies bitching
and not getting along. The market cannot work when everyone is at each
others throats and one company trying to scupper the other. There is no
co-operative, there is no money, there is no future because IMHO ROL have
single-handedly killed whatever was left of the market.

> > 1) Owain (main programmer) now has a job with a software firm and like
> > Paul Thomson he does not want to write software around the clock.
>
> That may happen to me soon, but I won`t stop working on RISC OS when
> I can... or maybe that`s what I say! :-(

I suppose it is different when you start working. I understand Owain's
situation completely and knew it would happen.

> > 2) Owain and the rest of us feel that the market will not recover from
> > it's current situation and our enthusiasm has gone due to the "head
> > factions" in the RISC OS world.
>
> Now, I need a bit more of explanation. What`s that "head faction"?

I'll email you in private about this.

> > EMD and all other projects (bar one, see below) are cancelled and we
> > will not be releasing the code to the public domain for the forseeable
> > future.
>
> That`s good, I hope you do make a come back some time, at least after
> the ROS Ltd heads get cut. ;-)

I always said that if ROL management was changed then I would consider
coming back but it will not.

> > As mentioned above there is still one project being worked on, the
> > reason for this is that it is set for a commercial release so we are
> > being paid.
>
> Hmmm... This is so tempting to ask about. Well, if it`s secret, you
> don`t have to tell... (quick, tell me now!!!) ;-)
>
> I realise though that, working on something because it`s a job and not
> by enthusiasm tends to become "compulsory labor", so you may not like
> to talk about it at all...

I don't want to talk about it because I am obviously getting paid by a
company who have their own interests at heart. I know you will like it but
you'll just have to wait.

> > The VOTI site is now used for my own little hobby but has Java Foul
> > Egg and a small amount of information relating to the RISC OS scene.
>
> I wonder how would a Super Foul Egg GBA conversion be accepted by
> the GBA market? ;-)

I've just heard that Super Foul Egg for Windows is nearing completion.

> > The remaining members are currently taking stock of the situation and
> > may reappear under a different banner just to keep a group spirit .
>
> We`ll be looking for _your_ feedback too, you know.

As I said above, I will not have a hand in any new projects for RO because
since my enthusiasm has died for the market I would find heading new
projects time-consuming and irritating with not final point. We may reappear
just to keep in contact with each other but we won't be writing software.

> > See you around.
>
> Please, don`t disappear!

I won't disappear yet, probably won't disappear until "the" project is
completed.

Martin Bazley

May 17, 2002, 1:45:33 PM5/17/02
In message <NOQE8.3723$Ag2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>
"Nathan Atkinson" <wrath...@spondly.ntlworld.com.naff> wrote:

Bother.
--

- Martin Bazley

Andy Wingate

May 17, 2002, 6:58:26 PM5/17/02

In message <ed172738...@freeuk.com>
Martin Bazley <mar...@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Bother.

..said Pooh as he quoted the whole of a previous post to add a one
word comment.

[ObGames: Playing with the blueprints of units in Tek is fairly
amusing.]
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net> OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
Look out! Behind you!

Christopher Bazley

May 18, 2002, 7:15:30 PM5/18/02
Andy Wingate <an...@sparse.net> wrote in message news:<4B3843BD3B%an...@sparse.net>...

> In message <ed172738...@freeuk.com>
> Martin Bazley <mar...@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Bother.
>
> ..said Pooh as he quoted the whole of a previous post to add a one
> word comment.

Cut him some slack, he's a newby - probably hasn't found the delete key yet. ;-)

Big brother

Iain Williamson

May 20, 2002, 7:33:03 PM5/20/02
In message <3CE55F...@hol.gr>

"Bill Kotsias (Fantasia FAN)" <fant...@hol.gr> wrote:

> I wonder how would a Super Foul Egg GBA conversion be accepted by
> the GBA market? ;-)

Already available, though I can't remember what it's called. There's
something that looks like SFE on most games consoles, though it goes
under at least two other names. With SFE being a port of an Amiga game
(IIRC), I'm not sure which came first - the chicken or the foul egg.

To those ex-VOTI - thanks for the games, thanks for all you have
done for the scene, and thanks for going out with a bang not a whimper.

--
To avoid being sent to a communal spam bin, remove the XXX
to e-mail me. You'll get a quicker response --- Iain Williamson

Nathan Atkinson

May 21, 2002, 7:55:39 AM5/21/02
"Iain Williamson" <iai...@rednova.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <3CE55F...@hol.gr>
> "Bill Kotsias (Fantasia FAN)" <fant...@hol.gr> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how would a Super Foul Egg GBA conversion be accepted by
> > the GBA market? ;-)
>
> Already available, though I can't remember what it's called. There's
> something that looks like SFE on most games consoles, though it goes
> under at least two other names. With SFE being a port of an Amiga game
> (IIRC), I'm not sure which came first - the chicken or the foul egg.

The foul egg of course ;-)

> To those ex-VOTI - thanks for the games, thanks for all you have
> done for the scene, and thanks for going out with a bang not a whimper.

Thanks for your support. The bang will be big :-)

J M Atherton

May 21, 2002, 2:21:54 PM5/21/02
In message <a06ad23...@rednova.demon.co.uk>
Iain Williamson <iai...@rednova.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <3CE55F...@hol.gr>
> "Bill Kotsias (Fantasia FAN)" <fant...@hol.gr> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how would a Super Foul Egg GBA conversion be accepted by
> > the GBA market? ;-)
>
> Already available, though I can't remember what it's called. There's
> something that looks like SFE on most games consoles, though it goes
> under at least two other names. With SFE being a port of an Amiga game
> (IIRC), I'm not sure which came first - the chicken or the foul egg.

Yes I've seen it. Puyo Pop is it's name. Except it comes with an
annoying manga feel. Not as good as SFE and £35 to boot! There are much
better GBA games. Advance Wars anyone?

> To those ex-VOTI - thanks for the games, thanks for all you have
> done for the scene, and thanks for going out with a bang not a whimper.

Seconded.

Jonathan