Demos anyone ?

Xavier

Dec 7, 2011, 11:36:43 AM12/7/11
Hello.

I'd like to add some new demos to my collection.
Could we share addresses and opinions about them ?
I only recently saw for example, that the Geman demogroup Squoquo had
their Archimedes demos available on their site.
http://squoquo.de/
BlackZone is worth a try ( it's also available on wocki's site :
http://acorn.revivalteam.de/?site=Downloads )
What about the others ? All the others, small, big, lame,
outstanding ...
Could you have some gems hidden somewhere ? I'd like to have them ;-)
Please write to me, and let's not have these fantastic pieces of codes
disappear.

There aren't many Archimedes demos on Youtube, and there's, in my
opinion, a real need to remind all these Amoeba, HessTees owners, that
the Archimedes had a demo scene, too !
If you send them to me, I'll put them on YouTube.

Cheers,
Xavier.

filecore

Dec 7, 2011, 2:41:33 PM12/7/11
You might want to try http://www.kameli.net/fit/ (and click on the
Productions link on the left), a Finnish guy called Markku Reunanen
has been porting demos to RISC OS (among others). He's also posted to
TIB as user 'Marq', but not for a long time now. You can catch his
demos thread at http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11167

Xavier

Dec 7, 2011, 5:01:15 PM12/7/11
On 7 déc, 20:41, filecore <filec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might want to tryhttp://www.kameli.net/fit/(and click on the
> Productions link on the left), a Finnish guy called Markku Reunanen
> has been porting demos to RISC OS (among others). He's also posted to
> TIB as user 'Marq', but not for a long time now. You can catch his
> demos thread athttp://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11167

Thanks a lot !

Sebastian Barthel

Dec 10, 2011, 6:47:41 AM12/10/11
Am Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:36:43 -0800 schrieb Xavier:
> I'd like to add some new demos to my collection.

You could try to search the demoserver www.pouet.net .
<http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=Acorn>

Some years ago there was a democollection - the most complete I know - on
www.icebird.org. Eventually this could be found mirrored elsewhere, as it
seems to be inactivated now. Eventually You could ask the owner, if he is
interested in bringing it back to live.

If You find some new or unknown demos, it could be a good idea not only
to produce a youtube-video but to give a binary copy to pouet.net.

Good luck. :)

Steffen Huber

Dec 10, 2011, 9:08:12 PM12/10/11
Xavier wrote:
> I'd like to add some new demos to my collection.
> Could we share addresses and opinions about them ?

It is always worth digging through the old FTP servers:
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/demos/
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/fromUTS/
ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/acornet/long/fun/demos/

The Xperience, a demo group from Germany, still has a website:
http://xm-arts.de/output.html

My all-time demo favourite on RISC OS is the Transmortal Demo.

Have fun,
Steffen

--
Steffen Huber - http://www.huber-net.de/
hubersn Software - http://www.hubersn-software.com/

Alexander Ausserstorfer

Dec 29, 2011, 9:27:33 AM12/29/11
In message <9kihkc...@mid.individual.net>
Steffen Huber <sp...@huber-net.de> wrote:

>My all-time demo favourite on RISC OS is the Transmortal Demo.

I didn't know it until yet, found the demo using Google and downloaded
it by ftp. It is a great one from a great time where everything today
is so boring. Thank you a lot.

A.

--
RISC OS since 1994
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/

Xavier

Dec 30, 2011, 3:09:08 PM12/30/11
On 11 déc, 03:08, Steffen Huber <s...@huber-net.de> wrote:
> Xavier wrote:
> > I'd like to add some new demos to my collection.
> > Could we share addresses and opinions about them ?
>
> It is always worth digging through the old FTP servers:ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/demos/ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/riscos/fromUTS/ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/acorn/acornet/long/fun/demos/
>
> The Xperience, a demo group from Germany, still has a website:http://xm-arts.de/output.html
>
> My all-time demo favourite on RISC OS is the Transmortal Demo.
>
> Have fun,
> Steffen
>
> --
> Steffen Huber -http://www.huber-net.de/
> hubersn Software -http://www.hubersn-software.com/

Hello.
Thanks !
There are some excellent demos in your links provided.(and of course,
most of the best ones are from Germany, no surprise).
There is also the free section at apdl.co.uk : http://apdl.co.uk/library/d.htm
It's worth downloading.
Unfortunately, many links are broken, what a pity.

If any of you is interested by the 3 demos by Karl Morton (Demo1,
KarlDemo 2, CopperSine), I can send them to you via email.(where can I
get a free RISC OS archiver ? I had bought PackDir and very strangely
it doesn't work anymore... doesn't even load, and no error messages
whatsoever ???).
I've very slightly modified them so that you don't need to select the
right amount of screen memory to run them properly (it's automated
now).
BTW, do you know how you can insert the ' ' (SPACE) character in a
file name ?
I'd like to properly name 'KarlDemo 2' and not 'KarlDemo2'.
His 3 demos are my favourite on the Archies (OK I also very much like
the colour demo for technical reasons as I don't understand how the
coder has been able to do that).

Regards,
Xavier.

Xavier

Dec 30, 2011, 3:12:32 PM12/30/11
On 10 déc, 12:47, Sebastian Barthel <naitsa...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:36:43 -0800 schrieb Xavier:
>
> > I'd like to add some new demos to my collection.
>
> You could try to search the demoserverwww.pouet.net.
> <http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform[]=Acorn>
>
> Some years ago there was a democollection - the most complete I know - onwww.icebird.org. Eventually this could be found mirrored elsewhere, as it
> seems to be inactivated now. Eventually You could ask the owner, if he is
> interested in bringing it back to live.
>
> If You find some new or unknown demos, it could be a good idea not only
> to produce a youtube-video but to give a binary copy to pouet.net.
>
> Good luck. :)

Thanks.
I knew pouet but I'm sure some readers might have never heard about
this excellent demoscene site.

Xavier

Dec 30, 2011, 3:53:25 PM12/30/11
I'll add this excellent link :
ftp://arcade.demon.co.uk/

David Holden

Dec 31, 2011, 2:05:45 AM12/31/11

On 30-Dec-2011, Xavier <xlt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also the free section at apdl.co.uk :
> http://apdl.co.uk/library/d.htm
> It's worth downloading.
> Unfortunately, many links are broken, what a pity.

Thanks for your consideration in reporting them so I could fix them :-(

--
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>

Alexander Ausserstorfer

Dec 31, 2011, 1:00:12 AM12/31/11
In message <64483e4d-e2cc-44be...@b32g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>
Xavier <xlt...@gmail.com> wrote:

>BTW, do you know how you can insert the ' ' (SPACE) character in a
>file name ?

RISC OS 6.20 is already able to do that automatically. For earlier
versions of RISC OS, just press ALT + SPACE.

Paul Sprangers

Dec 31, 2011, 10:25:00 AM12/31/11
In article <91d6114...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavari...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:

> >BTW, do you know how you can insert the ' ' (SPACE) character in a
> >file name ?

> RISC OS 6.20 is already able to do that automatically. For earlier
> versions of RISC OS, just press ALT + SPACE.

You probably mean that RISC OS 6.20 automatically replaces the space by a
hard space (ASC 160). RISC OS 5.xx is doing this since decades as well,
while, if I remember correctly, RISC OS 4.02 introduced it centuries ago.

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

Xavier

Dec 31, 2011, 8:01:11 PM12/31/11
On 31 déc 2011, 16:25, Paul Sprangers <P...@sprie.nl> wrote:
> In article <91d6114a52.A...@bavariasound.chiemgau-net.de>,
>    Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariaso...@chiemgau-net.de> wrote:
>
> > >BTW, do you know how you can insert the ' ' (SPACE) character in a
> > >file name ?
> > RISC OS 6.20 is already able to do that automatically. For earlier
> > versions of RISC OS, just press  ALT + SPACE.
>
> You probably mean that RISC OS 6.20 automatically replaces the space by a
> hard space (ASC 160). RISC OS 5.xx is doing this since decades as well,
> while, if I remember correctly, RISC OS 4.02 introduced it centuries ago.
>
> Kind regards,
> Paul Sprangers

So if I understand well, a few tera years ago, RISC OS 3.1 was able to
do that too ?
I didn't even know that.
Glad to start this New Year learning something.

Christopher Bazley

Jan 2, 2012, 6:33:43 AM1/2/12

http://www.houseofmabel.com/programs/html3/LinkSure.zip might help.

--
Chris Bazley
Star Fighter 3000: http://starfighter.acornarcade.com/

Harriet Bazley

Jan 2, 2012, 8:52:22 PM1/2/12
On 1 Jan 2012 as I do recall,
Xavier wrote:

> On 31 déc 2011, 16:25, Paul Sprangers <P...@sprie.nl> wrote:

> > > RISC OS 6.20 is already able to do that automatically. For earlier
> > > versions of RISC OS, just press  ALT + SPACE.
> >
> > You probably mean that RISC OS 6.20 automatically replaces the space by a
> > hard space (ASC 160). RISC OS 5.xx is doing this since decades as well,
> > while, if I remember correctly, RISC OS 4.02 introduced it centuries ago.
>
> So if I understand well, a few tera years ago, RISC OS 3.1 was able to
> do that too ?

Not automatically, but the hard space has always been a valid character
in a file name under RISC OS 3.

But before long filenames were introduced, you didn't really want to
waste a whole character of your twelve-letter filename on simply
inserting a space....

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs.

Steffen Huber

Jan 4, 2012, 2:08:36 PM1/4/12
Harriet Bazley wrote:
> But before long filenames were introduced, you didn't really want to
> waste a whole character of your twelve-letter filename on simply
> inserting a space....

Twelve? I can only remember ten of them...twelve would have been
luxury, as it would have allowed to fully store 8+3 DOS filenames
without resorting to clever hacks (anyone remember ArcBinkley's
naming scheme?).

John Rickman Iyonix

Jan 4, 2012, 2:40:15 PM1/4/12
In message <9mjmdk...@mid.individual.net>
Steffen Huber <sp...@huber-net.de> wrote:

> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>> But before long filenames were introduced, you didn't really want to
>> waste a whole character of your twelve-letter filename on simply
>> inserting a space....

> Twelve? I can only remember ten of them...twelve would have been
> luxury, as it would have allowed to fully store 8+3 DOS filenames
> without resorting to clever hacks (anyone remember ArcBinkley's
> naming scheme?).

Twelve/ten I thought it was somewhere in between say eleven.
But one for the shriek! makes ten for apps.

If you use the full save option from NetSurf, as I do frequently, you
are still stuck with 10/11, any longer and the auto-generated !Sprite
doesn't work.

--
John Rickman Iyonix

Alex Macfarlane Smith

Jan 4, 2012, 5:42:06 PM1/4/12
I found some on my A3020 at parents' home over Christmas - once I get it
back through here I'll try and upload the demos and make some Youtube
videos.

Alex.

Steve Fryatt

Jan 4, 2012, 6:07:08 PM1/4/12
On 4 Jan, John Rickman Iyonix wrote in message
<55426c4c5...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>:

> In message <9mjmdk...@mid.individual.net>
> Steffen Huber <sp...@huber-net.de> wrote:
>
> > Harriet Bazley wrote:
> > > But before long filenames were introduced, you didn't really want to
> > > waste a whole character of your twelve-letter filename on simply
> > > inserting a space....
>
> > Twelve? I can only remember ten of them...twelve would have been luxury,
> > as it would have allowed to fully store 8+3 DOS filenames without
> > resorting to clever hacks (anyone remember ArcBinkley's naming scheme?).
>
> Twelve/ten I thought it was somewhere in between say eleven. But one for
> the shriek! makes ten for apps.

10 on ADFS. So 9 for apps if you ignore the pling.

> If you use the full save option from NetSurf, as I do frequently, you are
> still stuck with 10/11, any longer and the auto-generated !Sprite doesn't
> work.

If the name is more than 12 characters, the sprite name is truncated to that
and the Wimp still uses it. Unless you have two or more saved pages which
share the first 12 characters of the folder name, of course.

Or it does here, at least. Which OS are you using?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Show
Saturday 28 April 2012

John Rickman Iyonix

Jan 5, 2012, 6:05:22 AM1/5/12
In message <mpro.lxaqvu09...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

>> If you use the full save option from NetSurf, as I do frequently, you are
>> still stuck with 10/11, any longer and the auto-generated !Sprite doesn't
>> work.

> If the name is more than 12 characters, the sprite name is truncated to that
> and the Wimp still uses it. Unless you have two or more saved pages which
> share the first 12 characters of the folder name, of course.

After a couple of experiments I can confirm that we are both right!
but we are talking about different sprites. What you say is true of
"Large icons". I hardly ever see these as my default filer display
view is "Small icons".

If you Full Save each of the following URLs into a filer with "Small
icons", then switch to "Large icons" you can see this.

http://pilearn.com/
http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/john/kitethumb/index.html

With large icons you get !pilearn_come and !kitethumb, each with a
thumbnail of its respective page.

With small icons, !kitethumb show a miniature thumbnail, but
!pilearn_com just shows the generic cog icon. I suppose because
!sm_pilearn_com is too long?

Incidently the Full save of !kitethumb does not appear to save or use
its CSS file.

John

--
John Rickman Iyonix

Alex Macfarlane Smith

Feb 3, 2012, 7:56:02 PM2/3/12
A couple of videos from RiscDream by Armaxess:

http://youtu.be/Crscpklrl9s
http://youtu.be/JlhBGM5Wsew (this one's still processing, but should be
available in an hour or so)

Alex.

woimdift

May 20, 2012, 2:23:45 AM5/20/12
tevpbwyv

--

questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito
http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad ab...@newsland.it

ttrjbc

May 20, 2012, 2:23:50 AM5/20/12
vjbhfs

xwayjf

Jun 26, 2012, 5:34:37 AM6/26/12
hrpcekz

xlt...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2012, 6:42:46 PM10/5/12
Hello everybody.

If you want to see a great multipart demo, I advise you to get the BrainDead demo by Shifty.
I've uploaded a video on Youtube, it's worth being in your collection, believe me.