Best Archimedes Games

Martin.w6

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
games and why?

So to start the ball rolling;

Basically the way I've decided is remembering which I've played the
most;

R Comp Doom
Starfighter 3000
Wolfenstein
Stunt Race 2000
Elite
Chocks Away Extra Missions
Chocks Away

Chocks Away would have been higher up the rankings but its annoying
that you can't install it to hard drive and therefore wasn't played as
much.

Acorn/Atari/Amiga/Coupe/68 Mac/PC/Spectrum/BBC/C64/MSX/SNES/N64/CPC.

Mark Milligan

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>, Martin.w6

<URL:mailto:mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> games and why?

Conqueror - gratifying sneaking up behind a king tiger with a chafee
and slowly tin opening it, and controlling the max no. of tanks was a
challenge to end up winning with more than two or three left.

chocks (both) - what can one say, 4Ds finest hour.

dreadnoughts - the only thing wrong with this game was trying to get
rid of a work mate at night, without the "just 5 more minutes".

Waterloo - see above, and quite hard to win as boney!

Stunt Racer - just bloody good fun.

--
Millenium bug, Millenium smug ;-)
Mark Milligan Using 202 MHz StrongARM powered RiscPC

Jon Hall

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

Martin.w6 <mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> games and why?

The ones you mentioned, plus Dune 11 and Cannon Fodder.

--

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |
| the acorn games paradise | Jon Hall (S/A Reviews)
|__________________________| My views are my own

Alex Holloway

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,
Martin.w6 <mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> games and why?

> So to start the ball rolling;

> Basically the way I've decided is remembering which I've played the
> most;

> R Comp Doom
> Starfighter 3000
> Wolfenstein
> Stunt Race 2000
> Elite
> Chocks Away Extra Missions
> Chocks Away

> Chocks Away would have been higher up the rankings but its annoying
> that you can't install it to hard drive and therefore wasn't played as
> much.

IMHO the Top Eight are

1. Stunt Racer 2000 (pending release of editor makes this untouchable)
2. AcornDoom
3. Starfighter 3000
4. BHP
5. Spheres of Chaos
6. Cobalt Seed
7. Zarch (yes honestly :)
8. Tertis

and hopefully TBAQuake and Destiny will both insert themselves into there
somewhere!

--
alex holloway
\\ //

Acorn Arcade

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In message <ant30190...@mandos.demon.co.uk>
Mark Milligan <ecc...@thehallsofthedead.demonic.company.gb> wrote:

> In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>, Martin.w6

> <URL:mailto:mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > games and why?
>

> Conqueror - gratifying sneaking up behind a king tiger with a chafee
> and slowly tin opening it, and controlling the max no. of tanks was a
> challenge to end up winning with more than two or three left.

Conqueror was *fantastic*. I've still got my original disc, but it's
totally useless on my Risc PC because for some reason the L-format disc
takes about half an hour to load. Has anyone found a way of extracting the
code off the disc so I can install it on my HD? There's a sort of 4000-byte
raw code file that just reads off the disc tracks.

This would be absolutely wonderful to go back to. Aaaah. Those chaffees
were great fun along roads :-)

> chocks (both) - what can one say, 4Ds finest hour.

I wouldn't say that. Nevryon or SR2000. Chocks was amazing fun at the time
but it's no fun to go back to anymore.

> Stunt Racer - just bloody good fun.

Agreed.

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Graham Crockford (Designer/Artist)
|__________________________|

T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <52a7183f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>,

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
>> chocks (both) - what can one say, 4Ds finest hour.
>
>I wouldn't say that. Nevryon or SR2000. Chocks was amazing fun at the time
>but it's no fun to go back to anymore.

Hmm, I allways thought drop ship was an amazing, if oft overlooked, game.

Tim

Jim or Rob White

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <483ef8273...@argonet.co.uk>, Alex Holloway

<exis...@acornusers.org> wrote:
> and hopefully TBAQuake and Destiny will both insert themselves into there
> somewhere!

Wot no Chocks, Bloxed or even </Gasp> MarsQuake????????

What is the world coming to?

Rob

I want to believe.

Stephen Crocker

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Before being shot for writing article <ant30190...@mandos.demon.co.uk>, Mark Milligan wrote:

> In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>, Martin.w6
> <URL:mailto:mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > games and why?
> >

> Conqueror - gratifying sneaking up behind a king tiger with a chafee
> and slowly tin opening it, and controlling the max no. of tanks was a
> challenge to end up winning with more than two or three left.

And it STILL runs on a RPC! Not sure about SA, though.

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk

John Ward

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,

Martin.w6 <mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> games and why?

Admittedly from my point of view only, the "best" I've found so far are:

Asylum : lots of interest / things going on for what is basically just a
2-D platformer

DOOM (the R-Comp version) for all the usual reasons :)

Small : original twist on an idea, plus nice colours, textures & sounds

Tower of Babel : my all-time favourite, excellent for atmosphere and for
making me really think about the various puzzles (towers).

--
John M Ward : "ZFC A" and a member of Convergence International
Long-term Acorn user, not really an expert but feel free to ask anyway!

Acorn Arcade

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In message <6id0e6$q...@sun-cc204.lboro.ac.uk>
T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk wrote:

I know what you mean. It was good. The music was pretty funky, too.

Jon Hall

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <19980502....@crok.demon.co.uk>,
Stephen Crocker <cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> And it STILL runs on a RPC! Not sure about SA, though.

It runs - but very very fast.....
I loved it on my (now sold) A 3010, but it always crashed on level 21 :(
Jon.

--

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

Kristoffer Adcock

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <52a7183f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade
<gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote
>> In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>, Martin.w6
>> <URL:mailto:mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
>> > games and why?
>>
>> Conqueror - gratifying sneaking up behind a king tiger with a chafee
>> and slowly tin opening it, and controlling the max no. of tanks was a
>> challenge to end up winning with more than two or three left.
>
>Conqueror was *fantastic*. I've still got my original disc, but it's
>totally useless on my Risc PC because for some reason the L-format disc
>takes about half an hour to load. Has anyone found a way of extracting the
>code off the disc so I can install it on my HD? There's a sort of 4000-byte
>raw code file that just reads off the disc tracks.
>
>This would be absolutely wonderful to go back to. Aaaah. Those chaffees
>were great fun along roads :-)
>
>> chocks (both) - what can one say, 4Ds finest hour.
>
>I wouldn't say that. Nevryon or SR2000. Chocks was amazing fun at the time
>but it's no fun to go back to anymore.
>
>> Stunt Racer - just bloody good fun.
>
>Agreed.

What was the deal with Conqueror and Zarch? Were they written by the
same bloke? The landscape did look remarkably similar. I'm not
complaining; I played both games an awful lot.

Cheers,

| Kristoffer Adcock (kr...@adcock.demon.co.uk, www.adcock.demon.co.uk) |
| (Destroyer of worlds, conqueror of galaxies, ravisher of women, |
| picker of noses, owner of StrongARM RPC, AMD K6 and Psion Series 5) |

Tony Houghton

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In message <12ae03f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> In message <6id0e6$q...@sun-cc204.lboro.ac.uk>
> T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I allways thought drop ship was an amazing, if oft overlooked, game.

Not a patch on Thrust for playability IMO.

> I know what you mean. It was good. The music was pretty funky, too.

Especially if you played something else before it without rebooting, so
all its assumptions about which voices were attached to which channels
went out of the window ;-).

--
\_________________
\ http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/

Dave Sloan

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Top 8 Commercial

Stunt Racer 2000 (Far and away the best - my all platform favourite)
Starfighter 3000 (Very good too)
Elite
Nevryon (Played to death on an A3000)
Chocks Away Extra Missions
Spheres of Chaos
Wolfenstein
E-Type 1 (2 was not as much fun)

Top 8 PD/Shareware/Don't-have-to-pay-too-much-for-ware

DIYDoom (Haven't got a CDROM for R-Comp doom)
Abuse (Lee Noar doesn't get enough praise for this one)
Bubble Impact
Marsquake
Miracle (Should really come under this section, I think)
AtomDoms (Yes, the ancient version, hacked so that I could play up to 48
players)
Bloxed
Botkiller

Top hackityourselfware

Holocaust ;-)

All IMHO. Hopefully Destiny and TBA Quake will hit the top of my lists
in that order (just to wind up MartinP ;-).

--
_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Dave Sloan (Freelance contributor)

David Courtney

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <be27fd3f48%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>, Tony Houghton

<to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> > > Hmm, I allways thought drop ship was an amazing, if oft overlooked,
> game.
>
> Not a patch on Thrust for playability IMO.

Years between the two, and even more since for me to compare them.
But wasn't rotor the update of thrust.
Having loved thrust, drop ship, I got rotor on a compilation.
And I think it's the only game I've bought but didn't finish;
not on the normal grounds that I couldn't do it, but because it was so bad.

Now is there anyway of getting a full version of Abuse, for the arc.
that would certainly make my number one.

I don't think anyone has mentioned,
Dungeon, ( Not a patch on underworld IV of course )
Magic pockets ( Quick to finish but good )
Flash Back ( FMV hardly a cliche on acorns )
SWIV ( even if the Jeep couldn't jump properly in our version)

--
Toodle Pip,
David.A.Courtney

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/kicking.fish/coffee.htm
Stories, Chess Games, And soon arcade fun with Boink.

Tim Fountain

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <483feeff8...@argonet.co.uk>, John Ward
<URL:mailto:john...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > games and why?
>

> Admittedly from my point of view only, the "best" I've found so far are:
>
> Asylum : lots of interest / things going on for what is basically just a
> 2-D platformer

Some nice weapons in that weren't there: I liked the 5-way blitzer, and -
what was the *big* gun called again?

Okay, here's a few of my favourites:

- Sim City 2000 (still my favourite).
- Dune II - Many hours spent on this... ;-).
- Doom (of course).
- Star Fighter 3000 - A classic.
- Invaders (by Tim Peugniez) - 8 years old now, but still (IMHO) the best
scrolling shoot 'em up for the Acorn (Xenon comes close, but it crashes
on the later levels).
- Spheres of Chaos
- Cannon Fodder

And a few others worth a mention (in no particular order): Drifter, SheepRace
(for pure humour value :-) ), Spots (great sound effects), Bloxed, Super Foul
Egg, and Fireball2.

TTFN, Tim.

--
_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Tim Fountain (Assistant News/Features)
|__________________________|

Tony Houghton

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In message <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>
Dave Sloan <Des...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Top 8 PD/Shareware/Don't-have-to-pay-too-much-for-ware

While we're digging up PD things nobody else has thought of, I ought to
mention Arm'd & Dangerous' Blobby 2. It needs a bit of coaxing to work
on a SA Risc PC, and hacking to avoid having to play the first 3 levels
repeatedly without getting further, but it's really good fun.

Jon Hall

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <be19164048%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,

Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>
> Dave Sloan <Des...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Top 8 PD/Shareware/Don't-have-to-pay-too-much-for-ware

> While we're digging up PD things nobody else has thought of,

Pushy, Pushy2, Swarm, Holocaust (of course!).

Another commercial one we like in our family is WizAp.

Jon.

--

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Jon Hall (S/A Reviews)

Thomas Harris

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

In article <52a7183f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade
(Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> Conqueror was *fantastic*. I've still got my original disc, but it's
> totally useless on my Risc PC because for some reason the L-format disc
> takes about half an hour to load. Has anyone found a way of extracting the
> code off the disc so I can install it on my HD? There's a sort of
> 4000-byte raw code file that just reads off the disc tracks.

I just copied it to the HD. It seems to work from there, but could be
destroying everything for all I know :-)

TTFN, Thomas

* By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail
--
_____ _ hot...@argonet.co.uk _ _ ZFC A (S) _
|_ _|| |_ ___ _ __ __ _ ___ | |_| | __ _ _ _ _ _ (_) ___
| | | ' \ / _ \| ' \ / _` |(_ < | _ |/ _` || '_|| '_|| |(_ <
|_| |_||_|\___/|_|_|_|\__,_||__/ |_| |_|\__,_||_| |_| |_|/__/

Keith Mckillop

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Top 10, IMO
-----------

1) SR2000 - Killer, killer, killer...
2) SF3000 - Almost perfect, just needed a save game feature
3) Birds of War - An A3000 with an Arm3 doesn't do it justice though...
4) Exodus - That 'Just one more month' feel made me spend many late
nights on it ;)
5) Chocks Away (+Extra missions) - even more fun over serial link
6) Elite - The best conversion of it around
7) Cannon Fodder - Great fun, a conversion well worth it
8) Drifter - unfortunatly, too short, so it gets a lower place.
9) Marsquake - :)
10) Spheres of Chaos - Apart from getting very hectic on later levels...

Keith

Anti-UCE address: kmc at arcade dot demon period co period uk
Please translate this Anti-UCE address for private replies - thank you.
--
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ | Free Internet E-mail and Anti-UCE News |
| / \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \ | +44 181 654 2212 also +44 181 655 4412 |

Andrew Conroy

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,

Martin.w6 <mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> games and why?

Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.

In PD/Shareware games, my favourites have to be Bubble Impact (of
course!), Pushy 1&2, Blurp

--
+----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Andrew Conroy, Primary School Teacher | email: a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk |

Robert Hampton

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <48408de482...@argonet.co.uk>, Andrew Conroy

<a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
> was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
> stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.

Agreed, Fervour was excellent! Maybe Acorn User, with their recent series of
SA/RiscPC-compatible versions of old games could try and get hold of this
one.

--
Robert Hampton, Liverpool, UK
fab...@argonet.co.uk

Tim Fountain

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

<URL:mailto:a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > games and why?
>

> Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
> was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
> stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had /the/ most annoying music of any
game I have ever played! ;-) (rest of the game was okay though)

TTFN, Tim.

--
Tim Fountain (t...@markgf.demon.co.uk), at home on an A7000+ _alpha_ on IRC
Currently under construction: The Acorn Users' Guide to the Internet, The

Simon Jones

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <48408de482...@argonet.co.uk>,

Andrew Conroy <a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <3548a6ae...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,
> Martin.w6 <mart...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > games and why?

> Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
> was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
> stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.

Only ever played the demo, but thought it was superb.

Simon.

--
___ _ __ __
| _ \___| |_| \/ | | sjprod...@argonet.co.uk
| / _ \ _| |\/| | | http://www.argonet.co.uk/business/chestnuts
|_|_\___/\__|_| |_| |
Revolution of the Mind - The latest SF film from SJ Productions

Simon Jones

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <ant03205...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,

Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <48408de482...@argonet.co.uk>, Andrew Conroy
> <URL:mailto:a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
> > > games and why?
> >
> > Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
> > was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
> > stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.

> If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had /the/ most annoying music of any

> game I have ever played! ;-) (rest of the game was okay though)

Hm...I recall the music being pretty good, actually.

John Ward

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <ant02161...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,

Tim Fountain <t...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
> In article <483feeff8...@argonet.co.uk>, John Ward
> <URL:mailto:john...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I'd be interested to know what people think are the best
> > > Archimedes games and why?
> >

> > Admittedly from my point of view only, the "best" I've found so far
> > are:
> >
> > Asylum : lots of interest / things going on for what is basically
> > just a 2-D platformer

> Some nice weapons in that weren't there: I liked the 5-way blitzer,

That's certainly my weapon of choice, with the 3-way version a close
second choice.

> and - what was the *big* gun called again?

Ah yes, the "Mega-Blam" -- a wonderful name! :)

Pity it takes so long to build up to each "blam", but that's life...

Stephen Crocker

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Before being shot for writing article <48408e3b7...@argonet.co.uk>, John Ward wrote:

> In article <ant02161...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Fountain <t...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> > > Admittedly from my point of view only, the "best" I've found so far
> > > are:
> > >
> > > Asylum : lots of interest / things going on for what is basically
> > > just a 2-D platformer
>
> > Some nice weapons in that weren't there: I liked the 5-way blitzer,
>
> That's certainly my weapon of choice, with the 3-way version a close
> second choice.

I have the shareware version only. Isn't it annoying when you have a
brilliant gun, only to have it replaced with a smaller one when you
pick one up by mistake!

> > and - what was the *big* gun called again?
>
> Ah yes, the "Mega-Blam" -- a wonderful name! :)
>
> Pity it takes so long to build up to each "blam", but that's life...

Well, take BFG-type weapons vs quick weapons. The Plasma Gun gives
small, rapid bursts but the BFG 9,000 wallops it out in one go! The
Hyperblaster and BFG 10,000 in Quake2 show a similar relationship.

--
x^ ( ) _________ // Email: mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk
< U O |_|_|_|_|_| O || WWW: http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
\, |/|\ _________ [ ]
. |/^\ . 2 . /__\

... Beware of quantum ducks. Quark! Quark!

SaCk

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <980503...@arcade.demon.co.uk>,
address...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Keith Mckillop) wrote:
>Top 10, IMO
>-----------
>
>1) SR2000 - Killer, killer, killer...
>2) SF3000 - Almost perfect, just needed a save game feature
>3) Birds of War - An A3000 with an Arm3 doesn't do it justice though...
>4) Exodus - That 'Just one more month' feel made me spend many late
> nights on it ;)
>5) Chocks Away (+Extra missions) - even more fun over serial link
>6) Elite - The best conversion of it around
>7) Cannon Fodder - Great fun, a conversion well worth it
>8) Drifter - unfortunatly, too short, so it gets a lower place.
>9) Marsquake - :)
>10) Spheres of Chaos - Apart from getting very hectic on later levels...

1) SR2000 - Like I *really* need to justify this choice....
2) SF3000 - brilliant, even on my A3010
3) Zool - Not been many games like this on the Arc
4) Lemmings - Sod em! I prefer to watch em DIE! hahahah!
5) Fervour - A novel idea, I liked it...
6) Nevryon - If I wasn't so crap at it, I't be higher up :)
7) Gyrinus - Come back Tom! we're not worthy!
8) Super foul egg - I *love* to watch my brother squirm in a 2 player :)
9) Spheres of Chaos - Pure fun
10) TwinWorld - I spent *ages* playing this in computing lessons!

###### ###### ###### ## ##
## ## ## ## ## ## sa...@cyberdude.com ICQ-10534487
###### ###### ## ####
## ## ## ## ## ## http://www.sacks-domain.home.ml.org
###### ## ## ###### ## ##

'RISC OS - for those who know better (tm)'

SaCk

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <484019...@argonet.co.uk>, Jon Hall <j...@acornarcade.com>
<483ff2...@argonet.co.uk> <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>
<be19164048%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <be19164048%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,
> Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>
>> Dave Sloan <Des...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > Top 8 PD/Shareware/Don't-have-to-pay-too-much-for-ware
>
>> While we're digging up PD things nobody else has thought of,
>
>Pushy, Pushy2, Swarm, Holocaust (of course!).

I lost my A3010 to my dad for a month because of 'Flood' by ARM'd and
dangerous (thanks a smegging lot, Rob! :)

DinoSaw appealed to me for some reason (wonder why? :)

Richard Walker

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>,
Des...@argonet.co.uk (Dave Sloan) wrote:

> Top 8 Commercial
>
> Stunt Racer 2000 (Far and away the best - my all platform favourite)
> Starfighter 3000 (Very good too)
> Elite
> Nevryon (Played to death on an A3000)
> Chocks Away Extra Missions
> Spheres of Chaos
> Wolfenstein
> E-Type 1 (2 was not as much fun)

Hmm... no-one has mentioned Break 147 and Superpool! They are superb!

The Wimp Game? Terramex? Lemmings?

> Top 8 PD/Shareware/Don't-have-to-pay-too-much-for-ware
>
> DIYDoom (Haven't got a CDROM for R-Comp doom)
> Abuse (Lee Noar doesn't get enough praise for this one)
> Bubble Impact
> Marsquake
> Miracle (Should really come under this section, I think)
> AtomDoms (Yes, the ancient version, hacked so that I could play up to 48
> players)
> Bloxed
> Botkiller

Where's Super Foul Egg? That blitzes all of the above, sauf Marsquake!

--
Richard.

NetLM & ShareLM for RISC OS http://www.manorsch.demon.co.uk/rw
+ RISC OS 3.7 'old' banner mailto:runny...@mindless.com

Andrew Conroy

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <ant03205...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,
Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares!
> > That was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC
> > and it stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working
> > again.

> If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had /the/ most annoying music of any
> game I have ever played! ;-) (rest of the game was okay though)

I quite liked the music actually, found myself humming it as I went along!

--
Andy
---- (ZFC A)

+----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Andrew Conroy, Primary School Teacher | email: a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk |
| Coming to you on an Acorn RiscPC SA110 | Snail: 100 Skegby Road, |
| | Kirkby-in-Ashfield, |

| Children taught, Computers fixed, | Nottingham. |
| Design work supplied (Owl-Art Un-Ltd.) | NG17 9FF. U.K. |

Ian Molton

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <b6b3f63f48%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>,

Dave Sloan <Des...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Abuse (Lee Noar doesn't get enough praise for this one)

Seconded! lots of praise from me!

If I wasnt impoverished, I'd send him a fiver...

--
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world

André Timmermans

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

David Courtney wrote:

> I don't think anyone has mentioned,
> Dungeon, ( Not a patch on underworld IV of course )
> Magic pockets ( Quick to finish but good )
> Flash Back ( FMV hardly a cliche on acorns )
> SWIV ( even if the Jeep couldn't jump properly in our version)

SWIV and Gods, very good ones, if only SWIV would stillwork on my SA.

Tim Fountain

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <19980503....@crok.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Crocker
<URL:mailto:cr...@crok.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Some nice weapons in that weren't there: I liked the 5-way blitzer,
> >
> > That's certainly my weapon of choice, with the 3-way version a close
> > second choice.
>
> I have the shareware version only.

Wasn't the full version released on the Arc World CD-Rom?

> Isn't it annoying when you have a brilliant gun, only to have it replaced
> with a smaller one when you pick one up by mistake!

Yes definitely, especially when the gun you pick up is the minigun.

> > > and - what was the *big* gun called again?
> >
> > Ah yes, the "Mega-Blam" -- a wonderful name! :)
> >
> > Pity it takes so long to build up to each "blam", but that's life...
>
> Well, take BFG-type weapons vs quick weapons. The Plasma Gun gives
> small, rapid bursts but the BFG 9,000 wallops it out in one go! The
> Hyperblaster and BFG 10,000 in Quake2 show a similar relationship.

IIRC, with the 'Mega-Blam' (cool name), you got a lot more bonuses out
of the monsters than you did when you shot them with one of the normal guns.

Tim Fountain

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <354cf...@mapperley.innotts.co.uk>, SaCk
<URL:mailto:sa...@cyberdude.com.die.spammers> wrote:

> DinoSaw appealed to me for some reason (wonder why? :)

Cool music that one... ;-)

Tim Fountain

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <48408e3b7...@argonet.co.uk>, John Ward

<URL:mailto:john...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ant02161...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Fountain <t...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> > > Asylum : lots of interest / things going on for what is basically
> > > just a 2-D platformer
>
> > Some nice weapons in that weren't there: I liked the 5-way blitzer,
>
> That's certainly my weapon of choice, with the 3-way version a close
> second choice.

Same here, although the bazooka style one (4 way something..) could do
a lot of damage :-).

> > and - what was the *big* gun called again?
>
> Ah yes, the "Mega-Blam" -- a wonderful name! :)
>
> Pity it takes so long to build up to each "blam", but that's life...

Yep, but it could clear the screen without any problems at all..

Ahh the good old days... ;-)

TTFN, Tim.

Simon Jones

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <19980503....@manorsch2.demon.co.uk>,
Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:

> Hmm... no-one has mentioned Break 147 and Superpool! They are superb!

Agreed! only played the demo, though...

> The Wimp Game?

Fun, but to illogical and fiddly.

> Terramex?

Brilliant! (when I was about 8)

> Lemmings?

Superb!

Mr K R Spence

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

0) Tba Quake - Its gonna be good....
1) SR2000 - Nice
2) SF3000 - Great
2.5) RCI Doom
3) Sensible soccer- Groovey
4) Dune- cool
5) Exodus - smart
6) Cannon Fodder - bloody
7) Sim city 2000 - sensational
8) ArcQuake - lovely
9) Super Foul egg
10) bubble impact

Peter

--
--. --. --. --. : : --- --- .---------------------------------------------.
|_| |_| | _ | | | | |_ | |Internet provider for all Acorn RISC machines|
| | |\ | | | | |\| | | '---------------------------------------------'
| | | \ |_| |_| | | |__ | KVAP....@argonet.co.uk

Stephen Brown

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

I agree with a lot of the games mentioned so far, including SF3000, Bloxed,
Elite, Cannon Fodder, Swarm and Marsquake but what about games such as:
Flashback, Virtual Golf, Simon the sorcerer, Alone in the dark, Diggers,
Lemmings..oh and how could I forget.. Chuck rock.

It's just a real pitty that the last four games I mentioned, either don't
work at all or don't work properly of a SA RPC. Yes I know Alone in the dark
will work with the cache off but its speed is less than satisfactory.

Although both diggers and lemmings were very 'slow' games I found them very
very addictive and really miss being able to play them now.

Steve.

--
______ _
/ \ | | http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/stephen.brown

Marc Warne

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In message <48409df99es...@argonet.co.uk>
Simon Jones <sjprod...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <ant03205...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Well, so far I don't think anyone's mentioned Fervour from Clares! That
> > > was definitely my favourite game, until we upgraded to the RPC and it
> > > stopped working :-( I really wish someone could get it working again.
>
> > If it's the one I'm thinking of, it had /the/ most annoying music of any
> > game I have ever played! ;-) (rest of the game was okay though)
>

> Hm...I recall the music being pretty good, actually.

The music was *brilliant*!!!

All the best,

Marc Warne
/ /\/\ \ e-mail: ma...@alphapro.demon.co.uk \-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-.
/ / /arc Warne \ http://www.alphapro.demon.co.uk/ \ A.S. 1.25 ? ? \
/__________________\________________ Alpha Programming _\__coming___soon__\

Dave Sloan

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In message <ant04083...@markgf.demon.co.uk>
Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> IIRC, with the 'Mega-Blam' (cool name), you got a lot more bonuses out
> of the monsters than you did when you shot them with one of the normal guns.

Yep, and it seemed to me that the closer you were to a monster, the more
bonuses you got. I think that it had something to do with the number of
bullets hitting it. Anyone know?

Dave

--
_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Dave Sloan (Freelance contributor)

Tony Houghton

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In message <19980503....@manorsch2.demon.co.uk>
runny...@mindless.com (Richard Walker) wrote:

> The Wimp Game? Terramex? Lemmings?

Wimp Game: Doesn't make it because it's too easy to make a mistake just
by being a pixel out with the mouse, and you can't save your position. I
haven't even managed to complete it with the solution to hand.

Terramex: Yes, nice little adventure, I'd forgotten that one. Mad Prof
Moriarty from the same Krisalis collection is also really good.

Lemmings: Has nobody really mentioned this yet? Maybe we take it too
much for granted, I think it has to be the best of all time - on the Arc
at least, I've yet to see the likes of Tomb Raider.

parhum

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

1)Chocks Away Compendium- tally ho! best flight game (not sim) ive
ever played
2)sf3000 - rather nice innit!
3)Quake - multiplayer is fun <waves to fellow AQLers - hi guys>
4)DOOM - BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD chainsaw teehee (we want net play NOW!)
5)Elite - the best version ever
6)sensible soccer - /still/ the most playable footy game for me :)
7)cannon fodder - blow up all the dinky leetle mens hehe
8)axis - brilliant shoot em up
9)twinworld - cutesy little platformer - a bit too easy, but good
10)stunt racer - i never played it much, or it would be higher im sure.

cheers

parhum

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ co...@argonet.co.uk

Acorn Arcade

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In message <52a7183f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> Conqueror was *fantastic*. I've still got my original disc, but it's
> totally useless on my Risc PC because for some reason the L-format disc
> takes about half an hour to load. Has anyone found a way of extracting the
> code off the disc so I can install it on my HD? There's a sort of 4000-byte
> raw code file that just reads off the disc tracks.
>

> This would be absolutely wonderful to go back to. Aaaah. Those chaffees
> were great fun along roads :-)

I've just got it running off the floppy again. It takes about 5 minutes
to load (one clunk of the drive every 5 seconds or so) and you need to turn
the cache off because it's not tied to the screen update.

I've read in the disc using Zap, and there's nothing there I can see to
easily extract. Just a kindly message coded into the first few words:

----------------
Disc Protection:

Copylock
Archimedes
by
Rob Northen
Computing

Tel:0428-51402
12th March 1988
----------------

Please, please, anyone, a copy of Conqueror I can run on my HD. Same applies
to poor old Zarch :-( :-(

One day I might try and resurrect 'Word Up Word Down', 'StarTrader' and
other such golden oldies :-)

Thanks in advance,

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Graham Crockford (Designer/Artist)
|__________________________|

Ryan Li

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

In article <na.0c192a484...@argonet.co.uk>,

parhum <co...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> 1)Chocks Away Compendium- tally ho! best flight game (not sim) ive
> ever played
> 2)sf3000 - rather nice innit!
> 3)Quake - multiplayer is fun <waves to fellow AQLers - hi guys>
> 4)DOOM - BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD chainsaw teehee (we want net play NOW!)
> 5)Elite - the best version ever
> 6)sensible soccer - /still/ the most playable footy game for me :)
> 7)cannon fodder - blow up all the dinky leetle mens hehe
> 8)axis - brilliant shoot em up
> 9)twinworld - cutesy little platformer - a bit too easy, but good
> 10)stunt racer - i never played it much, or it would be higher im sure.

Here's top three (I don't buy many Acorn games):
1 - ArcQuake (totally addictive with Killer Quake's 42 new weapons and
ZeusBots cos I'm a loner ;-)
2 - SimCity 2000 (again totally addictive)
3 - Bubble Impact (need I say more)

Ryan

--
/http://come.to/lithium.city/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯_¯_¯¯¯#¯¯#¯##¯#####\
|# ## # # # OR _ __ _ _ __ _ _ __ | (_) # # ## ####|

Tim Fountain

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <7b5ee4048%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>, Dave Sloan

<URL:mailto:Des...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ant04083...@markgf.demon.co.uk>
> Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > IIRC, with the 'Mega-Blam' (cool name), you got a lot more bonuses out
> > of the monsters than you did when you shot them with one of the normal guns.
>
> Yep, and it seemed to me that the closer you were to a monster, the more
> bonuses you got.

Sounds right to me. Shooting with one of the big guns have you /lots/ of
fruit...

Simon Jones

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <c1ef1e4148%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>,

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
> Please, please, anyone, a copy of Conqueror I can run on my HD. Same
> applies to poor old Zarch :-( :-(

My copy of Conq works fine from hard disc. Absolutely perfectly, when used
with SACache to control the speed perfectly.

Email me if you want it.

Simon.

--
___ _ __ __

Nick Denny

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <4840f2b87cs...@argonet.co.uk>, Simon Jones

<URL:mailto:sjprod...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <19980503....@manorsch2.demon.co.uk>,
> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm... no-one has mentioned Break 147 and Superpool! They are superb!
>
> Agreed! only played the demo, though...

Every Acorn / Wakefield show, I go to their stand, and see if this is being
sold at a price comparable for a game of its age, and every &#@@%y time its
over 20 quid..

Maybe this time... Please 4D??

In time for my A-Level last minute panic revision?

> Simon.

ttfn

Nikt (whose brain has fried from virtually teaching himself Chemistry)

--
Nick Denny, Cheshire, UK. Real email is nikt(at)bitsmart.com
Drummer ordinaire ....................................... &:-)

Jim or Rob White

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <c1ef1e4148%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade
(Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:
> One day I might try and resurrect 'Word Up Word Down', 'StarTrader' and
> other such golden oldies :-)

Yeah, but the former is crap, Plebs, the secret game hidden inside it was a
lot better, strangely.

Rob

Trust no one.

lukestuts

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In message <12ae03f48%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>

Acorn Arcade (Graham) <gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> In message <6id0e6$q...@sun-cc204.lboro.ac.uk>
> T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> > >I wouldn't say that. Nevryon or SR2000. Chocks was amazing fun at the time
> > >but it's no fun to go back to anymore.
> > >
> > Hmm, I allways thought drop ship was an amazing, if oft overlooked, game.
>
> I know what you mean. It was good. The music was pretty funky, too.
Yep. I got that when I was, umm, 7, and I couldn't play it at all!
Good game, though. Hard to play on the A5000 or RPC - too fast.

--
Luke Stutters,
The Renegade Penguin

lukestuts

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In message <na.0c02ca4840.a7...@argonet.co.uk>
David Courtney <kickin...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <be27fd3f48%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>, Tony Houghton
> <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

> > game.
> >

> > Not a patch on Thrust for playability IMO.
>
> Years between the two, and even more since for me to compare them.
> But wasn't rotor the update of thrust.
> Having loved thrust, drop ship, I got rotor on a compilation.
> And I think it's the only game I've bought but didn't finish;
> not on the normal grounds that I couldn't do it, but because it was so bad.
>
> Now is there anyway of getting a full version of Abuse, for the arc.
> that would certainly make my number one.

> I don't think anyone has mentioned,
> Dungeon, ( Not a patch on underworld IV of course )
> Magic pockets ( Quick to finish but good )
> Flash Back ( FMV hardly a cliche on acorns )

FMV? Whatever...
The end music on the was /////so///// good!

--
Luke Stutters,
The Renegade Penguin
Email me at luke...@mcmail.com (dodgy new mail software)
Visit my site - http://www.renegadepenguin.mcmail.com

Worse things happen at C.

lukestuts

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In message <980503...@arcade.demon.co.uk>
address...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Keith Mckillop) wrote:

> Top 10, IMO
> -----------
>
> 1) SR2000 - Killer, killer, killer...
> 2) SF3000 - Almost perfect, just needed a save game feature
> 3) Birds of War - An A3000 with an Arm3 doesn't do it justice though...
> 4) Exodus - That 'Just one more month' feel made me spend many late
> nights on it ;)
> 5) Chocks Away (+Extra missions) - even more fun over serial link
> 6) Elite - The best conversion of it around
> 7) Cannon Fodder - Great fun, a conversion well worth it
> 8) Drifter - unfortunatly, too short, so it gets a lower place.
> 9) Marsquake - :)
> 10) Spheres of Chaos - Apart from getting very hectic on later levels...

Why no doom?

--
Luke Stutters,
The Renegade Penguin
Email me at luke...@mcmail.com (dodgy new mail software)
Visit my site - http://www.renegadepenguin.mcmail.com

Slam a revolving door today!

SaCk

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <c1ef1e4148%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk>, Acorn Arcade (Graham)
<gra...@acornarcade.com> wrote:

> ----------------
> Disc Protection:
>
> Copylock
> Archimedes
> by
> Rob Northen
> Computing
>
> Tel:0428-51402
> 12th March 1988
> ----------------

Aren't these the guys who did the Amiga NDOS format that screwed up all the
crakers (for a few weeks, anyhow :) ?

James Larcombe

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <na.7f05204841.a...@argonet.co.uk> Mr K R Spence
wrote:

> 1) SR2000 - Nice
> 2) SF3000 - Great

I can't help feeling most people have got these the wrong way around.
Stunt Racer is great, but Star Fighter is even better. :-)

James Larcombe.

Anti-UCE address: jlarcombe at arcade dot demon period co period uk
Please translate this Anti-UCE address for private replies - thank you.
--
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ | Free Internet E-mail and Anti-UCE News |
| / \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \ | +44 181 654 2212 also +44 181 655 4412 |
| A R C A D E | Croydon UK - Fidonet#2:254/27.0 |
| The Definitive Acorn BBS | http://arcade.demon.co.uk at weekends |

James Larcombe

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <c1ef1e4148%webm...@greyhaven.demon.co.uk> Graham wrote:

> One day I might try and resurrect 'Word Up Word Down'

The hidden game in that was great. Pleb Up, Pleb Down, IIRC.

Richard Walker

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

sjprod...@argonet.co.uk (Simon Jones) wrote:

> In article <19980503....@manorsch2.demon.co.uk>,
> Richard Walker <runny...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm... no-one has mentioned Break 147 and Superpool! They are superb!
>
> Agreed! only played the demo, though...

Bah... and it quit after so-many-balls or something... :-(

> > The Wimp Game?
>
> Fun, but to illogical and fiddly.

I agree about fiddly, but I don't think it was too illogical. Me and
a few friends wasted ages on it at primary school... we even got the
Head involved - he solved the Roman numerals bit for us! ;-)

If you want to see illogical, try the Time Machine! I can't even complete
that with the solution. :-/

Eesh! All this talk is making me want to buy an A3000 right now and
make an 'Acorn games console'!

--
Richard.

NetLM & ShareLM for RISC OS http://www.manorsch.demon.co.uk/rw
+ RISC OS 3.7 'old' banner mailto:runny...@mindless.com

Richard Walker

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

In article <266d134148%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,
to...@tcp.co.uk (Tony Houghton) wrote:

> In message <19980503....@manorsch2.demon.co.uk>
> runny...@mindless.com (Richard Walker) wrote:
>
> > The Wimp Game? Terramex? Lemmings?
>
> Wimp Game: Doesn't make it because it's too easy to make a mistake just
> by being a pixel out with the mouse, and you can't save your position. I
> haven't even managed to complete it with the solution to hand.

I suppose so.

Any of you coders reading fancy patching the game?!

Or, even better, writing something new, along the same lines. I know
that, say, Ankh exists, but it's not quite the same. Maybe it's just
me!

Chris Joseph

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

In article <ant04082...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,

Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <354cf...@mapperley.innotts.co.uk>, SaCk
><URL:mailto:sa...@cyberdude.com.die.spammers> wrote:
>
>> DinoSaw appealed to me for some reason (wonder why? :)
>
>Cool music that one... ;-)

Not as good as Hamsters (which I liked much better as a game, too)...

Pity it was only available as part of an otherwise very naff collection,
really - although I bought my copy for about a tenner, and Hamsters was
worth every penny :)

My top ten would look something like:

Tower of Babel
StarFighter 3000
Skirmish
Hamsters
Cataclysm
Dune II
Bloxed
Exodus
Axis
Angband (or suitable derivatives thereof - the ones I'm playing ATM
are SAngband and Zangband, although I'd love to see a combination
of the two...)

Although the precise order I'd put them in is subject to change on
a daily basis, and I had a lot of difficulty rejecting Conqueror,
Lemmings and Twinworld...

Chris.
--
Believe not one word that is written in the Honest Book of Truth by Lord
Omar, nor any that be in Principia Discordia by Malaclypse the Younger;

Simon Jones

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

In article <980506...@arcade.demon.co.uk>,

James Larcombe <address...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <na.7f05204841.a...@argonet.co.uk> Mr K R Spence
> wrote:
>
> > 1) SR2000 - Nice
> > 2) SF3000 - Great
>
> I can't help feeling most people have got these the wrong way around.
> Stunt Racer is great, but Star Fighter is even better. :-)

It *would* have been, if it had a save facility like SR2000, rather than
that utterly ridiculous password/money system.

Also, the ground was too flat, the missions were too samey (except for the
occasional brilliant one), being just a case of 'blow everything up'.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* the game, especially now it works fine on my
SA.

Martin.w6

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

>I'd be interested to know what people think are the best Archimedes
>games and why?
>

>So to start the ball rolling;
>
>Basically the way I've decided is remembering which I've played the
>most;
>
>R Comp Doom
>Starfighter 3000
>Wolfenstein
>Stunt Race 2000
>Elite
>Chocks Away Extra Missions
>Chocks Away
>
>Chocks Away would have been higher up the rankings but its annoying
>that you can't install it to hard drive and therefore wasn't played as
>much.

Oh year I forgot to mention Spheres of Chaos, I've played that loads
since getting it on Acorn User one of the best covermounts ever after
'Elite' of course.

Acorn/Atari/Amiga/Coupe/68 Mac/PC/Spectrum/BBC/C64/MSX/SNES/N64/CPC.

Keith Mckillop

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In message <e1c8684148%luke...@m00a1400.mcmail.com>, lukestuts wrote:

> In message <980503...@arcade.demon.co.uk>
> address...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Keith Mckillop) wrote:

>> Top 10, IMO
>> -----------
>>
>> 1) SR2000 - Killer, killer, killer...
>> 2) SF3000 - Almost perfect, just needed a save game feature
>> 3) Birds of War - An A3000 with an Arm3 doesn't do it justice
though...
>> 4) Exodus - That 'Just one more month' feel made me spend many late
>> nights on it ;)
>> 5) Chocks Away (+Extra missions) - even more fun over serial link
>> 6) Elite - The best conversion of it around
>> 7) Cannon Fodder - Great fun, a conversion well worth it
>> 8) Drifter - unfortunatly, too short, so it gets a lower place.
>> 9) Marsquake - :)
>> 10) Spheres of Chaos - Apart from getting very hectic on later
levels...
> Why no doom?

Because...

R-Comp Doom won't work on A5000's...
...and I can't be arsed to download and compile DIY doom.

Keith

Anti-UCE address: kmc at arcade dot demon period co period uk

Keith Mckillop

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In message <7b5ee4048%Des...@argbw80.argonet.co.uk>, Dave Sloan wrote:

> In message <ant04083...@markgf.demon.co.uk>
> Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> IIRC, with the 'Mega-Blam' (cool name), you got a lot more bonuses
>> out of the monsters than you did when you shot them with one of the
>> normal guns.

> Yep, and it seemed to me that the closer you were to a monster, the more
> bonuses you got. I think that it had something to do with the number of
> bullets hitting it. Anyone know?

Umm, I know that the orange spray thing does much the same (but that's
prolly because it's the slow one) so it probably is the number of
bullets hitting it.

I prefer the 5-way blitzer myself (let's party!)

mar...@argonaut.com

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Humm top five games.

1) BHP. ;-)
2) Galactic Dan
3) Axis
4) FTT
5) Xenon II ( Even though it was bugged. )

Chris Joseph

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <6irpkq$ru8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <mar...@argonaut.com> wrote:

>Humm top five games.
>
>1) BHP. ;-)
>2) Galactic Dan
>3) Axis
>4) FTT
>5) Xenon II ( Even though it was bugged. )

The more cynical members of this newsgroup might suggest that Martin
was just a little biased in his choice of games, but far be it from
me to impugn his reputation here :)

Of the three of those that I've played, the only one I really rate is
Axis (still definitely a classic) - FTT I couldn't enjoy (although I
only played the demo, it just didn't seem exciting enough to buy the
whole thing), and I wasa never really into Shoot-em-ups, so XenonII
didn't appeal much either. BHP and Galactic dan I've not played...

T.A.Bo...@student.lboro.ac.uk

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <6is7pp$jll$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>,

Chris Joseph <trin...@sable.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <6irpkq$ru8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <mar...@argonaut.com> wrote:
>
>Of the three of those that I've played, the only one I really rate is
>Axis (still definitely a classic) - FTT I couldn't enjoy (although I
>only played the demo, it just didn't seem exciting enough to buy the
>whole thing), and I wasa never really into Shoot-em-ups, so XenonII
>didn't appeal much either. BHP and Galactic dan I've not played...

Galactic Dan was pretty good, I never did complete it tho..

Tim

s.cha...@cranfield.ac.uk

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <354cda23...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,
mart...@ukonline.co.uk (Martin.w6) wrote:

> >Chocks Away would have been higher up the rankings but its annoying
> >that you can't install it to hard drive and therefore wasn't played as
> >much.

Chocks Away wasn't that hard to get onto a hard drive. And when I was at York
there was someone down the corridor who saw it and would have killed to have
it working on his Amiga. Still, it was someone to play two player with.

> Oh year I forgot to mention Spheres of Chaos, I've played that loads
> since getting it on Acorn User one of the best covermounts ever after
> 'Elite' of course.

I would put Spheres of Chaos at the best covermount, 'coz I already had Elite
and was a little miffed at it then being released for free. Talking of Elite,
I could do with a few more quiz replies:
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/~fr950671/elite.htm
(Sorry about the plug).

Simon Challands

Tim Fountain

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article <6is7pp$jll$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, Chris Joseph
<URL:mailto:trin...@sable.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

[MP's top 5 games]

> >Humm top five games.
> >
> >1) BHP. ;-)
> >2) Galactic Dan
> >3) Axis
> >4) FTT
> >5) Xenon II ( Even though it was bugged. )

[snip]

> - FTT I couldn't enjoy (although I only played the demo, it just didn't
> seem exciting enough to buy the whole thing),

I have also only ever played the demo, but I liked it! I assume in the full
game there are several different tracks etc.?

> and I wasa never really into Shoot-em-ups, so XenonII didn't appeal much
> either.

There are 3 things that disappointed me with Xenon II:

- Firstly (and most importantly), the buggy-ness of it. It crashed on the
later levels in 1 player mode, and in 2 player mode it would only allow
player 2 onto level 2! (IIRC).

- Secondly, on the PC version, when you returned to the game from the shop,
the 'attachments' which you had for your ship flew across the screen
and stuck to your ship (it's difficult to explain really, but anyone
who has played the PC version should know what I mean). This did look
pretty cool, but unfortunately this was not in the Acorn version... :-(

- And finally, some of the more expensive items in the shop were pretty
pointless (bitmap shades?!?!), which was a little disappointing after
you'd spent all that time collecting the cash...

However, with all my moaning, I did like the game quite a lot, especially
the shop, and the end of level monsters :-)

> BHP and Galactic dan I've not played...

Me neither.

Jon Hall

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article <ant08185...@markgf.demon.co.uk>,

Tim Fountain <t...@markgf.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6is7pp$jll$1...@news.ox.ac.uk>, Chris Joseph
> <URL:mailto:trin...@sable.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> > - FTT I couldn't enjoy (although I only played the demo, it just didn't
> > seem exciting enough to buy the whole thing),

> I have also only ever played the demo, but I liked it! I assume in the full
> game there are several different tracks etc.?

Yes. Well worth getting. Needs StrongGuard for S/A.

> > BHP and Galactic dan I've not played...

Both excellent games.

--

_________________________________
()____) ))
| acorn_.._ _ _. _| _ | http://www.acornarcade.com
| (_|| (_(_|(_|(/_ |

| the acorn games paradise | Jon Hall (S/A Reviews)
|__________________________| My views are my own

Keith Mckillop

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

In message <4842136229s...@argonet.co.uk>, Simon Jones wrote:

> In article <980506...@arcade.demon.co.uk>,
> James Larcombe <address...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <na.7f05204841.a...@argonet.co.uk> Mr K R
>> Spence wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) SR2000 - Nice
>>> 2) SF3000 - Great
>>>
>> I can't help feeling most people have got these the wrong way
>> around. Stunt Racer is great, but Star Fighter is even better. :-)

> It *would* have been, if it had a save facility like SR2000, rather than
> that utterly ridiculous password/money system.

> Also, the ground was too flat, the missions were too samey (except for
> the occasional brilliant one), being just a case of 'blow everything up'.

Hmm, it's time to vote for the all time best level on SF3000 :)

Hard, mission 4, "Follow the leader" was quite fun down the 'deathstar
trench'

Then I think Medium, Mission 19, "Ambush" which was fun for the new
ship.

David...@thepentagon.com

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

I don't know if its been mentioned before, and I refuse to read the entire
thread to find out but...

=======> SIM CITY 2000 <=======

Tired, SOOOooooo tired, please let me sleep....

NO! just one more residential estate, improve that water supply, road network,
interstate link....

3am is just too early to go to bed :o)

Dave

Tony Houghton

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

In message <266d134148%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

> Terramex: Yes, nice little adventure, I'd forgotten that one. Mad Prof
> Moriarty from the same Krisalis collection is also really good.

Hey, did anyone know you can now download Terramex from Acorn Arcade?
Looks like more free versions of old commercial games are on the way too
:-).

--
\_________________
\ http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS

Simon Jones

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

In article <f642bb4648%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,

Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <266d134148%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
> Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

> > Terramex: Yes, nice little adventure, I'd forgotten that one. Mad Prof
> > Moriarty from the same Krisalis collection is also really good.

> Hey, did anyone know you can now download Terramex from Acorn Arcade?
> Looks like more free versions of old commercial games are on the way too
> :-).

Yeah, great that! Jeez...talk about nostalgia. I was only 8 when I played
that...

Nicholas Kitchener

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Simon Jones wrote:

> In article <f642bb4648%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,
> Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <266d134148%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
> > Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Terramex: Yes, nice little adventure, I'd forgotten that one. Mad Prof
> > > Moriarty from the same Krisalis collection is also really good.
>
> > Hey, did anyone know you can now download Terramex from Acorn Arcade?
> > Looks like more free versions of old commercial games are on the way too
> > :-).
>
> Yeah, great that! Jeez...talk about nostalgia. I was only 8 when I played
> that...

My first game on my first Arc .. my sister completed it before me..

Nick.
--
Nicholas Kitchener, Software Engineer, Logica UK

Acorn Arcade

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

In message <356403...@Logica.com>
Nicholas Kitchener <Kitch...@Logica.com> wrote:

> Simon Jones wrote:
> >
> > In article <f642bb4648%to...@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>,
> > Tony Houghton <to...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Hey, did anyone know you can now download Terramex from Acorn Arcade?
> > > Looks like more free versions of old commercial games are on the way
> > > too :-).

> My first game on my first Arc .. my sister completed it before me..

My first game on my first Arc too! Bit of a step up from Elite and Garf ;-)

|__________________________| - Wakefield Spring Show Awards 1998