NetTime download availability

trevj

May 7, 2010, 3:45:08 AM5/7/10
I'd like to try running NetTime on the BeagleBoard but am not having
much luck in locating a copy on the internet.

The iyonx.com download link
<http://www.iyonix.com/updates/beta-software/timekeepers.shtml>
doesn't seem to be functional and my searches haven't turned up an
alternative location.

Other c.s.a.* references I've found, e.g.
<http://tinyurl.com/36cfzfb>
are concerned with time servers rather than the software itself.

Pointers welcomed, thanks.

Ian Hamilton

May 7, 2010, 3:51:33 AM5/7/10
In article
<9a6b1f0e-dd0c-44ee...@n15g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,

trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to try running NetTime on the BeagleBoard but am not having
> much luck in locating a copy on the internet.

> The iyonx.com download link
> <http://www.iyonix.com/updates/beta-software/timekeepers.shtml>
> doesn't seem to be functional and my searches haven't turned up an
> alternative location.

It is functional but relies on !IyoUpWtch which is the Iyonix software
update program. I'm not sure whether it is distributable.

Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (Iyonix RO5) http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

trevj

May 7, 2010, 8:59:54 AM5/7/10
On May 7, 8:51 am, Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamil...@AAUG.net> wrote:

> It is functional but relies on !IyoUpWtch which is the Iyonix software
> update program. I'm not sure whether it is distributable.

Thanks very much. Never having owned an Iyonix, I wasn't aware of
this.

Anyway, it seems to be available here, so I'll give it a try.
<http://www.iyonix.com/updates/updater.shtml>

Russell Hafter News

May 7, 2010, 10:05:38 AM5/7/10
In article <511392f612I...@AAUG.Net>,
Ian Hamilton <Ian.Ha...@AAUG.net> wrote:

> It is functional but relies on !IyoUpWtch which is the
> Iyonix software update program. I'm not sure whether it
> is distributable.

The Strong Help File says:

Licence

!FreeTime is � Copyright 1996-1998 Joseph Heenan. All rights
are reserved.

!FTsetup is � Copyright 1998 Musus Umbra and Joseph Heenan.
All rights are reserved.

Permission is granted to use FreeTime on the understanding
that this use is entirely at your own risk. I accept no
liability whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from the
use of FreeTime nor do I make any guarantee that it is fit
for any purpose.

FreeTime maybe freely distributed providing all files are
present and unchanged. No charges may be made for
distribution. It should not be distributed as part of any
packages or CDs without the author's express permission.

I understand the last paragraph to mean that it would be OK
for me, or someone else, to send you a copy by e-mail.

Anyone else know better?

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk

Brian Howlett

May 7, 2010, 10:35:16 AM5/7/10
On 7 May, Russell Hafter News wrote:

<FreeTime>

> I understand the last paragraph to mean that it would be OK for me, or
> someone else, to send you a copy by e-mail.

> Anyone else know better?

Joseph Heenan's RISC OS software (including FreeTime) is still
available from his web site.

http://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Karl Marx's grave. Just another Communist Plot?

Chris Johnson

May 7, 2010, 10:43:20 AM5/7/10
[Snip about FreeTime]

I think you are confusing NetTime with FreeTime.

--
Chris .....

druck

May 7, 2010, 11:36:11 AM5/7/10
Russell Hafter News wrote:
> !FreeTime is © Copyright 1996-1998 Joseph Heenan. All rights
> are reserved.

FreeTime != NetTime.

---druck

Dr Peter Young

May 7, 2010, 11:56:50 AM5/7/10
On 7 May 2010 Russell Hafter News <see...@walkingingermany.invalid>
wrote:

> In article <511392f612I...@AAUG.Net>,
> Ian Hamilton <Ian.Ha...@AAUG.net> wrote:

>> It is functional but relies on !IyoUpWtch which is the
>> Iyonix software update program. I'm not sure whether it
>> is distributable.

> The Strong Help File says:

> Licence

> !FreeTime is � Copyright 1996-1998 Joseph Heenan. All rights
> are reserved.

[big snip]

This beginning of this thread mentioned NetTime. FreeTime is a
different animal altogether :-)

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \ / \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \ / __ __ \ England.

trevj

May 7, 2010, 5:30:10 PM5/7/10
On May 7, 3:05 pm, Russell Hafter News

<see....@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote:

> The Strong Help File says:

> Licence
>
> !FreeTime is © Copyright 1996-1998 Joseph Heenan. All rights
> are reserved.

[sniped]

> I understand the last paragraph to mean that it would be OK
> for me, or someone else, to send you a copy by e-mail.

Thanks very much for the offer. I've tried this one but unfortunately
it's not 32 bit compatible.

Meanwhile, I've got IyoUpWtch and the IGetUpdate link does a check but
doesn't appear to download the file. The messages disaplyed in the
window are too quick to read and if it's saved a file somewhere... I
don't know where to look!

trevj

May 7, 2010, 5:33:19 PM5/7/10
sniped = snipped with claimed high accuracy (not evidenced by the
extra blank line remaining above!)

Evan Clark

May 7, 2010, 5:49:22 PM5/7/10
In article
<8b80c0ff-e4c2-4c7d...@r34g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

> On May 7, 3:05 pm, Russell Hafter News
> <see....@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > The Strong Help File says:

> > Licence
> >
> > !FreeTime is � Copyright 1996-1998 Joseph Heenan. All rights
> > are reserved.

> [sniped]

> > I understand the last paragraph to mean that it would be OK
> > for me, or someone else, to send you a copy by e-mail.

> Thanks very much for the offer. I've tried this one but
> unfortunately it's not 32 bit compatible.

Druck converted FreeTime to 32 bit in 2002. It's available from here:

<http://mytriops.com/quantum/druck/>

Evan.

trevj

May 7, 2010, 6:31:54 PM5/7/10
On May 7, 10:49 pm, Evan Clark <e...@ejclark.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Druck converted FreeTime to 32 bit in 2002. It's available from here:
>
>  <http://mytriops.com/quantum/druck/>

Wow - thanks! I've found a previous reference to this too now:
<http://tinyurl.com/39dfplq>

The FTsetup program is also needed but that works fine (from original
distribution) in 32 bit.

Thanks all... time to update the ROOL wiki now!

David Pitt

May 8, 2010, 2:09:51 AM5/8/10
trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

[snip - NetTime download via !IyoUpWtch]

> Meanwhile, I've got IyoUpWtch and the IGetUpdate link does a check but
> doesn't appear to download the file. The messages disaplyed in the window
> are too quick to read and if it's saved a file somewhere... I don't know
> where to look!

The procedure works here as expected on my Iyonix, it may be that
!IyoUpWtch, an ABCLib user, is not happy on the Beagle board.

I could not find NetTime on ROOL's site, has this module escaped the open
sourcing?

--
David Pitt

druck

May 8, 2010, 3:53:20 AM5/8/10
trevj wrote:
> Thanks very much for the offer. I've tried this one but unfortunately
> it's not 32 bit compatible.

If you actually want FreeTime (not NetTime) the 32bit version is at
http://www.armclub.org.uk/32bit/

---druck

Ste (news)

May 8, 2010, 9:58:27 AM5/8/10
> I'd like to try running NetTime on the BeagleBoard but am not having
> much luck in locating a copy on the internet.

The source code to the NetTime module was published on the ROOL site just
before the Wakefield Show.

https://www.riscosopen.org/viewer/view/castle/RiscOS/Sources/Networking/NetTime/

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Revill @ Home
Note: All opinions expressed herein are my own.

trevj

May 8, 2010, 2:14:03 PM5/8/10
druck wrote:

> If you actually want FreeTime (not NetTime) the 32bit version is at
> http://www.armclub.org.uk/32bit/

Thanks very much - I've followed the pointer now. Nice job on doing
this :-)

trevj

May 8, 2010, 2:21:06 PM5/8/10
Ste (news) wrote:

> The source code to the NetTime module was published on the ROOL site just
> before the Wakefield Show.
>
> https://www.riscosopen.org/viewer/view/castle/RiscOS/Sources/Networking/NetTime/

Aha - didn't see that. Thanks :-)