*AddTinyDir on RISC OS 5

Steve Fryatt

Apr 29, 2011, 2:57:36 PM4/29/11
Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)? It
always used to be possible to do

*AddTinyDir

with no filename to add a blank icon to the bar: this is documented in the
RO3 User Guide, and works on RO4.37. On RO5.16, however, the command has no
effect without a filename.

Is this a bug, or is there a setting that I've forgotten somewhere?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

John Williams (News)

Apr 29, 2011, 4:09:39 PM4/29/11
In article <mpro.lkfgnx0h...@stevefryatt.org.uk>,

Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)? It
> always used to be possible to do

> *AddTinyDir

> with no filename to add a blank icon to the bar: this is documented in
> the RO3 User Guide, and works on RO4.37. On RO5.16, however, the command
> has no effect without a filename.

But what is the point? You get a directory icon you can't open, rename, do
anything with under RISC OS 3.7 where I've just tried it.

Or am I missing something obvious?

> Is this a bug, or is there a setting that I've forgotten somewhere?

Perhaps it was removed because there's no point in it.

Or did it later have a point under the RISCOS Ltd fork which was irrelevant
in RISC OS 5?

John

--
John Williams, Brittany, Northern France - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject!

Steve Fryatt

Apr 29, 2011, 5:10:09 PM4/29/11
On 29 Apr, John Williams (News) wrote in message
<51cbaff7...@tiscali.co.uk>:

> In article <mpro.lkfgnx0h...@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
> Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> > Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)? It
> > always used to be possible to do
>
> > *AddTinyDir
>
> > with no filename to add a blank icon to the bar: this is documented in
> > the RO3 User Guide, and works on RO4.37. On RO5.16, however, the
> > command has no effect without a filename.
>
> But what is the point? You get a directory icon you can't open, rename,
> do anything with under RISC OS 3.7 where I've just tried it.
>
> Or am I missing something obvious?

You are: that directory icon is a target to drag other items to. Once you
add one item, the placeholder disappears because that items becomes a target
itself.

On RISC OS 5.16, it seems as if the only way to start the process is to
specifically add a file or directory -- placing a generic TinyDir icon
doesn't appear to work any more.

John Williams (News)

Apr 29, 2011, 5:21:29 PM4/29/11
In article <mpro.lkfmsv0l...@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> > Or am I missing something obvious?

> You are:

OK - but perhaps that's still the reason!

John Williams (News)

Apr 29, 2011, 5:29:40 PM4/29/11
On 29 Apr, UCE...@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> OK - but perhaps that's still the reason!

Perhaps the code is still in the RISC OS 5 sources, but has been
'disconnected' as its purpose wasn't recognised!

Worth a look!

Pinboard module?

Martin Wuerthner

Apr 30, 2011, 10:18:03 AM4/30/11

"John Williams (News)" <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <mpro.lkfgnx0h...@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
> Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
>> Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)? It
>> always used to be possible to do

>> *AddTinyDir

>> with no filename to add a blank icon to the bar: this is documented in
>> the RO3 User Guide, and works on RO4.37. On RO5.16, however, the command
>> has no effect without a filename.

> But what is the point? You get a directory icon you can't open, rename, do
> anything with under RISC OS 3.7 where I've just tried it.

> Or am I missing something obvious?

>> Is this a bug, or is there a setting that I've forgotten somewhere?

> Perhaps it was removed because there's no point in it.

As the OS evolves commands are often extended, but there needs to be a
very good reason for removing a documented feature, so that does not
normally happen, even if there is no longer any point in a particular
feature. The behaviour of the AddTinyDir command no longer conforms to
the official specification, so that is clearly a bug.

--
Martin
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/

trevj

May 2, 2011, 2:15:47 AM5/2/11

James Lampard

May 2, 2011, 3:01:16 AM5/2/11
On May 2, 7:15 am, trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
> Are the results the same with DeskFiler, i.e. *AddDeskApp ?
>
> https://www.riscosopen.org/viewer/view/castle/RiscOS/Sources/Desktop/...

There is no DeskFiler. It doesn't exist, it was clearly assimilated by
the PinBoard at some point and its commands changed to be compatible
with TinyDirs.
Back in RISC OS 2 TinyDirs was a simple basic program, the document
you've found refers to an intended replacement, but it isn't relevant
anymore.

Did you actually try the AddDeskApp command before posting?

--
James.
To reply use james underline lampard at talk 21 dot com

Steve Fryatt

May 2, 2011, 4:15:40 AM5/2/11
On 2 May, trevj wrote in message
<5d386091-f263-4760...@m4g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>:

> Are the results the same with DeskFiler, i.e. *AddDeskApp ?

I thought that DeskFiler disappeared with the advent of RISC OS 3 in 1990,
to be replaced by ResourceFS? Or is this something new that ROOL are
working on?

James Lampard

May 2, 2011, 6:16:03 AM5/2/11
On May 2, 9:15 am, Steve Fryatt <n...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 2 May, trevj wrote in message
>     <5d386091-f263-4760-8ddf-613805dcc...@m4g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>:

> > Are the results the same with DeskFiler, i.e. *AddDeskApp ?
>
> I thought that DeskFiler disappeared with the advent of RISC OS 3 in 1990,
> to be replaced by ResourceFS?

That was DeskFS.

> Or is this something new that ROOL are working on?

As the document is dated 1989 they certainly appear to be taking their
time about it, fortunately as the PinBoard implements pretty much
everything described except with different * commands their continued
tardiness doesn't really matter.

Just to re-iterate it is clearly a work in process document, slightly
different to how the PinBoard was eventually written and has no
relevance today.

Fred Graute

May 2, 2011, 7:45:17 AM5/2/11
In message <mpro.lkfgnx0h...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)? It
> always used to be possible to do
>
> *AddTinyDir
>
> with no filename to add a blank icon to the bar: this is documented in the
> RO3 User Guide, and works on RO4.37. On RO5.16, however, the command has no
> effect without a filename.
>
> Is this a bug, or is there a setting that I've forgotten somewhere?

It appears to be a bug. Don't know how or when it happened but the code
is doing something strange. It's initialising the number of tinydir
icons to 0 (ok so far). When adding an icon however it cops out if the
number is non-negative, which of course includes 0, so nothing happens.
Changing the code to allow 0 fixes it. Will send a patch to ROOL.

--
Fred Graute
http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/

Steve Fryatt

May 2, 2011, 8:55:24 AM5/2/11
On 2 May, Fred Graute wrote in message
<214c0dcd5...@casema.nl>:

> In message <mpro.lkfgnx0h...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
> Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Has the use of *AddTinyDir changed on RISC OS 5 (specifically 5.16)?

[snip]

> It appears to be a bug. Don't know how or when it happened but the code is
> doing something strange. It's initialising the number of tinydir icons to
> 0 (ok so far). When adding an icon however it cops out if the number is
> non-negative, which of course includes 0, so nothing happens. Changing the
> code to allow 0 fixes it. Will send a patch to ROOL.

Thanks -- I've an idea that it's been broken a while, but it hadn't really
registered until I found myself editing a newsletter article that someone
had sent me on the subject over the weekend.

trevj

May 2, 2011, 2:24:44 PM5/2/11
On May 2, 8:01 am, James Lampard <dontreplytot...@mailinator.com>
wrote:

> On May 2, 7:15 am, trevj <tr...@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Are the results the same with DeskFiler, i.e. *AddDeskApp ?
>
> >https://www.riscosopen.org/viewer/view/castle/RiscOS/Sources/Desktop/...
>
> There is no DeskFiler. It doesn't exist, it was clearly assimilated by
> the PinBoard at some point and its commands changed to be compatible
> with TinyDirs.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the background info.

> Back in RISC OS 2 TinyDirs was a simple basic program, the document
> you've found refers to an intended replacement, but it isn't relevant
> anymore.

And that wasn't obvious to me.

> Did you actually try the AddDeskApp command before posting?

TBH no. It wasn't convenient for me to use RISC OS at that time.

In fact, that's the reason why I asked:

trevj

May 3, 2011, 5:57:14 AM5/3/11
On May 2, 12:45 pm, Fred Graute <fjgra...@planet.nl> wrote: