Ghostscript and PDF

Patric

Jun 18, 2011, 9:53:07 AM6/18/11
Hearing of all the nice functions both PrintPDF and Easiwriter offer
regarding PDF I thought I'd give it a second try. Checked I downloaded
an ARM7 save version of GS. Installed it, checked my wimpslot was big
enough and that GS was seen by the filer.
SysMerged SharedUnixLib too but still nothing happens.
In EasiWriter PostScript and PDF are both greyed out and that's that.

What exactly am I missing there?

Patric

Alan Calder

Jun 18, 2011, 10:07:26 AM6/18/11
In article <684a4de...@albutat.gmx.de>,

Have you set up a Postscript printer driver and is it active on the icon
bar? You don't need to have a Postscript printer physically attached.

Cheers

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

Steve Fryatt

Jun 18, 2011, 10:08:01 AM6/18/11
On 18 Jun, Patric wrote in message
<684a4de...@albutat.gmx.de>:

Reading the instructions?

Installation is more complicated than making GS seen by the filer. The
correct installation procedure for EasiWriter is given in the release notes
that came with version 8.60 (the one that added PDF export) and may be in
subsequent manuals (not sure on that). You need to install some Postscript
printer drivers as well, if you don't already have them: they came with your
machine, but won't be installed by default.

For PrintPDF (which is a separate piece of software), you need to do a
similar thing. The full process is clearly documented in the installation
section of PrintPDF's manual:

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/printpdf/

I've a hazy memory that if you've installed PrintPDF, then EasiWriter can
use the same installation of Postscript drivers without any further steps,
but it's a while since I set that up so I could be wrong.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Martin Wuerthner

Jun 18, 2011, 10:56:27 AM6/18/11
In message <mpro.lmzola08...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> I've a hazy memory that if you've installed PrintPDF, then EasiWriter can
> use the same installation of Postscript drivers without any further steps,
> but it's a while since I set that up so I could be wrong.

Yes, that is correct. EasiWriter/TechWriter can use any installed
PostScript 2 or PostScript 3 driver, whichever was active most
recently, and that includes PostScript drivers set up for use with
PrintPDF.

--
Martin
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/

Patric

Jun 18, 2011, 3:59:23 PM6/18/11
In message <d31653e5...@bach.planiverse.com>
Martin Wuerthner <spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:

>> I've a hazy memory that if you've installed PrintPDF, then EasiWriter can
>> use the same installation of Postscript drivers without any further steps,
>> but it's a while since I set that up so I could be wrong.

> Yes, that is correct. EasiWriter/TechWriter can use any installed
> PostScript 2 or PostScript 3 driver, whichever was active most
> recently, and that includes PostScript drivers set up for use with
> PrintPDF.

Ok, appears I must've deleted ALL printer drivers at some point. No
wonder I couldn't get any PDF output from EasiWriter. Well, since I
never tried to install a physical printer on the BB I probably hadn't
realized.
All corrected and EW's print to PDF function now also working.

Cheers for the hint!

Patric

Patric Albutat

Jun 18, 2011, 5:03:44 PM6/18/11
In message <acd26ee...@albutat.gmx.de>
Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Cheers for the hint!

> Patric

Unfortunately it's been a short lived success. After autoloading
Printer set to PoScript EasiWriter refused to save as PDF on Re-Boot
and just "went wrong". Changing to PoScript2 or PoScript to PDF made
no difference.
I don't get the pattern. EW will sometimes save plain text as PDF but
always crash when trying to do the same with EW or *.doc files. No
matter what I try.
I guess it's hidden somewhere in the manual but haven't been able to
solve this mystery. Why do these things have to be so damn complicated
on RISC OS?

Patric

--
Patric Albutat

Alan Calder

Jun 18, 2011, 5:51:11 PM6/18/11
In article <dfb674e...@albutat.gmx.de>,
Patric Albutat <alb...@gmx.de> wrote:

[Snip]

> Unfortunately it's been a short lived success. After autoloading
> Printer set to PoScript EasiWriter refused to save as PDF on Re-Boot
> and just "went wrong". Changing to PoScript2 or PoScript to PDF made
> no difference.
> I don't get the pattern. EW will sometimes save plain text as PDF but
> always crash when trying to do the same with EW or *.doc files. No
> matter what I try.
> I guess it's hidden somewhere in the manual but haven't been able to
> solve this mystery. Why do these things have to be so damn complicated
> on RISC OS?

Well, in general they're not complicated!

Not quite sure what you mean by 'EW will sometimes save plain text as PDF
but crash when trying to do the same with EW or *.doc files'.

Any text or graphics in EW is effectively an EW file. I can't see any way
that it can be saved as PDF in any other form. The 'textiness' or
'dociness' of the file is surely irrelevant. (cue MW telling me that I've
got wrong! :-) )

I'm assuming that you have set !Printers up to load a PoScript2 driver on
boot and that it is the active printer. That is all that is really
necessary as far as I know. Well, it's how my setup works!

What happens if you then start EW, type in a bit of rubbish and go Menu->
Save-> PDF and drag the file to somewhere on the harddisk? Do you get a
PDF?

Patric

Jun 19, 2011, 6:37:27 AM6/19/11
In message <51e5790f16...@o2.co.uk>
Alan Calder <alan_...@o2.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> Well, in general they're not complicated!

> Not quite sure what you mean by 'EW will sometimes save plain text as PDF
> but crash when trying to do the same with EW or *.doc files'.

> Any text or graphics in EW is effectively an EW file. I can't see any way
> that it can be saved as PDF in any other form. The 'textiness' or
> 'dociness' of the file is surely irrelevant. (cue MW telling me that I've
> got wrong! :-) )

> I'm assuming that you have set !Printers up to load a PoScript2 driver on
> boot and that it is the active printer. That is all that is really
> necessary as far as I know. Well, it's how my setup works!

> What happens if you then start EW, type in a bit of rubbish and go Menu->
> Save-> PDF and drag the file to somewhere on the harddisk? Do you get a
> PDF?

> Cheers

> Alan

I see your point but just tried the following: typed "test" and saved
it as PDF. No problems. Opened a DOC file, told EW to do the same as
before but now it decided to go wrong due to an error in the printer
driver. On restarting EasiWriter I tried the same with a genuine EW
file and the entire PDF conversion went through without EW
complaining. The actual output however turned out to be just a plain
white PDF without any content.

I take it there's some mistake on my side in how to set up the printer
driver. Hmmm.

Patric

Alan Calder

Jun 19, 2011, 7:17:28 AM6/19/11
In article <4336bfe...@albutat.gmx.de>,
Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> I see your point but just tried the following: typed "test" and saved
> it as PDF. No problems. Opened a DOC file, told EW to do the same as
> before but now it decided to go wrong due to an error in the printer
> driver. On restarting EasiWriter I tried the same with a genuine EW
> file and the entire PDF conversion went through without EW
> complaining. The actual output however turned out to be just a plain
> white PDF without any content.

Strange. I can imagine that there is something strange in the .doc file
that upsets things but can't see why the EW file should give a blank page
PDF.

Dud your 'test' PDF give a blank PDF? Presumably not. Might be worth
trying several of the sample EW files provided with EW just to see if there
is any pattern.

> I take it there's some mistake on my side in how to set up the printer
> driver. Hmmm.

Possibly. although there is so little to configure that is hard to see what
the problem might be!

Patric

Jun 19, 2011, 8:57:38 AM6/19/11
In message <51e5c2e039...@o2.co.uk>
Alan Calder <alan_...@o2.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>> I take it there's some mistake on my side in how to set up the printer
>> driver. Hmmm.

> Possibly. although there is so little to configure that is hard to see what
> the problem might be!

> Cheers

> Alan

Ok, thought I'd best start from scratch just in case something was
wrong with my old !printers. Downloaded the latest HD4 image,
extracted it and replaced the printing directory. The settings however
seem to have been saved elsewhere as it defaulted to my previously
saved PoScript2 printer.
Checked and deleted all the other Ghostscript copies. Made the ARM7
one which came with EasiWriter "looked at".
Re-booted and tried to convert one of EW's sample files, resulting in
"Ghostscript 8.54: can't find the initialization file gs_init.ps."

Downloaded the latest GS version for the BB from Martin's website.
Deleted the old one and installed it. Made it seen by the filer (look
at). Printer is being "run" at boot via configure.

Re-booted and again opened a sample file. Went to save, PDF. Again
EasiWriter went wrong due to this mysterious printer driver error.

WTF?

Am I missing something obvious there?

Patric

Steve Fryatt

Jun 19, 2011, 9:21:54 AM6/19/11
On 19 Jun, Patric wrote in message
<230ccce...@albutat.gmx.de>:

> Re-booted and again opened a sample file. Went to save, PDF. Again
> EasiWriter went wrong due to this mysterious printer driver error.

*What* mysterious printer driver error? What message do you get, exactly?

Martin Wuerthner

Jun 19, 2011, 9:43:33 AM6/19/11
In message <dfb674e...@albutat.gmx.de>
Patric Albutat <alb...@gmx.de> wrote:

> In message <acd26ee...@albutat.gmx.de>
> Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> [...]

>> All corrected and EW's print to PDF function now also working.

> Unfortunately it's been a short lived success. After autoloading

> Printer set to PoScript EasiWriter refused to save as PDF on Re-Boot
> and just "went wrong". Changing to PoScript2 or PoScript to PDF made
> no difference.

There is no point in trying PoScript (level 1). Please ignore that
driver. It can only serve to confuse matters.

As for setting up the printer driver: There is nothing to be set up,
so you cannot really make a mistake there. You can set the "Colour"
option and the paper size to your liking, but it will work no matter
which settings you choose.

> I don't get the pattern. EW will sometimes save plain text as PDF but
> always crash when trying to do the same with EW or *.doc files. No
> matter what I try.

Yes, I can reproduce this problem here. I cannot print from Draw
either, so that looks like a general problem with RISC OS on the BB,
not a problem with EW. There is a crash in the PostScript printer
driver, so EW cannot do anything about it. Very simple files do not
seem to trigger it, which is why just typing a line of text works
fine. As others have pointed out, there is no such thing as a "plain
text file" in EW. Whatever you create in EW is an EW file.

> I guess it's hidden somewhere in the manual but haven't been able to
> solve this mystery. Why do these things have to be so damn complicated
> on RISC OS?

They are not normally complicated, but you should not forget that the
BeagleBoard is a rather recent, immature platform to run RISC OS on.
Maybe the PostScript driver is not stable yet on the BB?

There is anothing piece of evidence that this is a PostScript driver
problem: If you use the commercial PostScript 3 driver, everything
works as expected, both printing from Draw and saving as PDF from
EasiWriter. Switch to the PostScript 2 driver and printing from both
Draw and EasiWriter goes wrong.

Martin Wuerthner

Jun 19, 2011, 9:49:36 AM6/19/11
In message <mpro.ln1h4f08...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 19 Jun, Patric wrote in message
> <230ccce...@albutat.gmx.de>:

>> Re-booted and again opened a sample file. Went to save, PDF. Again
>> EasiWriter went wrong due to this mysterious printer driver error.

> *What* mysterious printer driver error? What message do you get, exactly?

EasiWriter does not tell you because the PostScript driver does not
actually return an error but crashes. EasiWriter is competent enough
to catch the crash, display a sensible error message and get the
system back into a stable state - quite in contrast to most other
applications. For instance, when I print from Draw, the whole system
crashes and I have to reboot.

Aha, what about switching alignment exceptions off? That cures the
problem here! It also explains why the forums are not full of
complaints about printing and PDF generation not working on the BB.

So, to summarize: The PostScript driver on the BB is broken, but it
does not crash if alignment exceptions are off. That, however, still
means that there is a bug and that it may well produce incorrect
output - as all things that only work with AE off.

So, that solves the problem in the short run. Someone should fix the
PS driver urgently, so it runs correctly on the BB.

Patric

Jun 19, 2011, 10:29:41 AM6/19/11
In message <f43fd0e5...@bach.planiverse.com>
Martin Wuerthner <spam...@mw-software.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Yes, I can reproduce this problem here. I cannot print from Draw
> either, so that looks like a general problem with RISC OS on the BB,
> not a problem with EW. There is a crash in the PostScript printer
> driver, so EW cannot do anything about it. Very simple files do not
> seem to trigger it, which is why just typing a line of text works
> fine. As others have pointed out, there is no such thing as a "plain
> text file" in EW. Whatever you create in EW is an EW file.

I think you're right about the Post Script driver being broken.
Unfortunately I can't get a consistent error message but turning
alignment exceptions off, not the default setting on my BB, seems to
work. At least I've now been able to save a normal EW file as PDF
without further problems.

>> I guess it's hidden somewhere in the manual but haven't been able to
>> solve this mystery. Why do these things have to be so damn complicated
>> on RISC OS?

> They are not normally complicated, but you should not forget that the
> BeagleBoard is a rather recent, immature platform to run RISC OS on.
> Maybe the PostScript driver is not stable yet on the BB?

Well it's a bit complicated and frustrating if you're unable to get to
the bottom of it. Point taken though and there's always going to be
the problem with bits of old code floating around of which newer ARM7
save software is ignorant.

> There is anothing piece of evidence that this is a PostScript driver
> problem: If you use the commercial PostScript 3 driver, everything
> works as expected, both printing from Draw and saving as PDF from
> EasiWriter. Switch to the PostScript 2 driver and printing from both
> Draw and EasiWriter goes wrong.

For me it's not a high priority at the moment but good to know that
the PS3 driver offers a solution. Guess I'll have to upgrade then!

cheers

Patric

Patric

Jun 19, 2011, 10:43:37 AM6/19/11

[snip]

> *What* mysterious printer driver error? What message do you get, exactly?

Error from printer driver, Internal error:
abort on data transfer at &203169EC

cheers
Patric

David Pitt

Jun 19, 2011, 2:27:03 PM6/19/11

For what it may be worth I am having a bit of a struggle to get PDF printing
to work on an ARMini.

Installed are !Printers 1.75, gs 8.54/1.05, !GView 1.52, !PrintDPF 0.87 and
!ps2pdf .004. Alignment exceptions are on.

The first hazard is finding something to print from, StrongED 4.69a4 gets
the oflas in its 'Printer driver' icon, and NetSurf r12443 gives up with a
"redraw error".

Using !Edit then. I can print to a PS2 file but cannot read that file with
!GView, "No writable memory at this address". (The same file can be read by
!GView on the Iyonix.) Attempting to print a PDF via !PrintPDF only gets as
far as generating the PS2 file, !PrintPDF appears to do nothing, possibly
for the same reason that that !GView stops.

Obligingly the 20th Century !ps2pdf does generate a PDF from the PS2 file.

As a last try before giving up for the evening I tried Zap to print a PDF
via !PrintPDF and got a "mysterious error", 'abort on data transfer at
&2038EC6C", offset 00003218 in Module PDriverPS. (Turning alignment
exceptions off and there was no such error but it splatted the screen with
the original text.)

--
David Pitt

David Pitt

Jun 20, 2011, 1:50:05 AM6/20/11
David Pitt, on 19 Jun, wrote:

[snip]

> For what it may be worth I am having a bit of a struggle to get PDF
> printing to work on an ARMini.
>
> Installed are !Printers 1.75, gs 8.54/1.05, !GView 1.52, !PrintDPF 0.87
> and !ps2pdf .004. Alignment exceptions are on.

[snip]

> Using !Edit. I can print to a PS2 file but cannot read that file with

> !GView, "No writable memory at this address". (The same file can be read
> by !GView on the Iyonix.) Attempting to print a PDF via !PrintPDF only
> gets as far as generating the PS2 file, !PrintPDF appears to do nothing,
> possibly for the same reason that that !GView stops.

The next day ...

!GView's "No writable memory at this address" error clears on increasing the
'GhostScript Wimpslot' in !GView's Choices to 4000k. !GView processes the
file but fails on displaying it, the window opens but with an "abort on data
transfer at &2002B2A0". (Turning exceptions off on the ARMini does allow
!GView to render the file.) This issue is associated with the use of a 32k
colour mode, which is the best I can get out my ARMmin on this monitor,
1600x1050@32k@55Hz. Put the ARMini into 16M colours or force !GView to use
16M in its Choices and !GView does render.

Increasing !PrintPDF's 'Taskwindow memory' setting in its Choices to an
empirical (or guessed) 10000K and a PDF is created.

--
David Pitt

cfe...@freeremoveuk.com.invalid

Jun 20, 2011, 5:42:51 AM6/20/11
In message <ccbfd5e...@albutat.gmx.de>
Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:

> In message <mpro.ln1h4f08...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
> Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>

> > *What* mysterious printer driver error? What message do you get,

> > *exactly?

> Error from printer driver, Internal error:
> abort on data transfer at &203169EC

It would be nice to now what the results from a :-

*Where

*showregs

The '*Where' should say which module is causing the problem.
Then you can give which module name/version the fault is in.

Bye
--
Colin Ferris Cornwall UK

Patric

Jun 20, 2011, 7:11:44 AM6/20/11
In message <a40c3ee65...@cferris.freeuk.com>
cfe...@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid wrote:

> *Where

> *showregs

> Bye

I'm not familiar with either command let alone the proper syntax but
simply typing *where lists several ftp sites. Obviously not what
you're after. Not sure what you want to know in the first place
though.

cheers

Patric

Patric

Jun 20, 2011, 7:21:20 AM6/20/11
In message <mpro.ln2qvh00...@pittdj.co.uk>
David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> David Pitt, on 19 Jun, wrote:

> [snip]

>> For what it may be worth I am having a bit of a struggle to get PDF
>> printing to work on an ARMini.

[snip]

I'm now using the newer PostScript3 driver and that solved all my PDF
related problems. Setting up in the usual way, just as you'd expect
and working very nicely. The only mistake I initially made was not
correcting to the proper Adobe PDF version as mentioned in the
instructions.
Easy enough to do and certainly worth the upgrade!

Patric

David Pitt

Jun 20, 2011, 8:58:45 AM6/20/11
Patric, on 20 Jun, wrote:

> In message <a40c3ee65...@cferris.freeuk.com>
> cfe...@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid wrote:
>
> > In message <ccbfd5e...@albutat.gmx.de>
> > Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > > In message <mpro.ln1h4f08...@stevefryatt.org.uk>
> >> Steve Fryatt <ne...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > > Error from printer driver, Internal error: abort on data transfer at
> > > &203169EC

> > It would be nice to now what the results from a :-

> > *Where

> > *showregs

> > The '*Where' should say which module is causing the problem. Then you
> > can give which module name/version the fault is in.

> I'm not familiar with either command let alone the proper syntax but
> simply typing *where lists several ftp sites. Obviously not what you're
> after. Not sure what you want to know in the first place though.

After an exception *showregs shows the register contents, the command is in
the ROM Debugger module.

*where is a command line library utility that can show whose space the
exception address is. It is at http://www.armclub.org.uk/32bit/

*showregs is a bit useless on its own, the information *where adds is more
valuable.

For example, a recent crash on the ARMini :-

*showregs
Register dump (stored at &2000E8AC) is:
R0 = 00000047 R1 = 202C8449 R2 = 00000045 R3 = 000000E0
R4 = 0000005A R5 = 0000005A R6 = 00000000 R7 = 00000001
R8 = 00000001 R9 = 7FFFFFFF R10 = 000000EA R11 = 2029F494
R12 = 202C81B4 R13 = FA207E9C R14 = 202CCDD0 R15 = 202CCDEC
Mode SVC32 flags set: nzCvqjggggeAift PSR = 20000113
*where
Address 202CCDEC is at offset 00003218 in module PDriverPS
*help PDriverPS
==> Help on keyword PDriverPS
Module is: Printer driver 4.55 (28 May 2008) for PostScript printers (UCS)
*

(A *where that lists ftp sites seems a little odd!!)

--
David Pitt

Patric

Jun 20, 2011, 9:30:12 AM6/20/11
In message <mpro.ln3apx00...@pittdj.co.uk>
David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

>>> *Where

>>> *showregs

Ok but I can't see how this would be any help:

*showregs
Register dump (stored at &2000E88C) is:
R0 = 00000012 R1 = 2030094A R2 = 00000045 R3 = 000000C0
R4 = 0000005A R5 = 0000005A R6 = 00000000 R7 = 00000002
R8 = 00000001 R9 = 7FFFFFFF R10 = 000000FD R11 = 201E37B4
R12 = 203006B4 R13 = FA207F50 R14 = 203052D0 R15 = 203052EC

Mode SVC32 flags set: nzCvqjggggeAift PSR = 20000113
*where

This is the Info-ZIP file ``WHERE,'' last updated on 26 November
2001.

The latest version of this file can be found online at:

ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/doc/WHERE

Note that some ftp sites may not yet have the latest versions of
Zip
and UnZip when you read this. The latest versions always appear in
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ (and subdirectories thereof)
first,
except for encryption binaries, which always appear in
ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/ (and subdirectories) first.

IF YOU FIND AN ERROR: please let us know! We don't have time to
check each and every site personally (or even collectively), so any
number of the sites listed below may have moved or disappeared en-
tirely. E-mail to Zip-...@lists.wku.edu and we'll update this
file.

Info-ZIP's home WWW site is listed on Yahoo and is at:

ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Info-ZIP.html (master version)
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

Note that the old sites at http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/ and
http://www.freesoftware.com/pub/infozip are PERMANENTLY BROKEN. They
cannot be updated or removed, apparently.

The Zip and UnZip pages have links to most known mirror sites carrying
our
source and/or binary distributions, and they generally are more
up-to-date
and have better information than what you are reading:

ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html

The related zlib package by Info-ZIP's Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
is at:

http://www.zlib.org/

Source-code archives for Info-ZIP's portable Zip, UnZip, and related
utilities:

zip24.zip Zip 2.4 (deflation; includes zipnote, zipsplit,
zipcloak)
zip24.tar.Z ditto, compress'd tar format

zip11.zip Zip 1.1 (shrinking, implosion; compatible w.
PKUNZIP 1.1)
zip11.tar.Z ditto, compress'd tar format

unzip550.zip UnZip 5.5 (all methods[*];
unzip/funzip/unzipsfx/zipgrep)
unzip550.tar.gz ditto, gzip'd tar format
unzip550.tar.Z ditto, compress'd tar format

unred550.zip UnZip 5.5 add-on, contains copyrighted unreduce
support

zcrypt29.zip encryption support for Zip 2.4[**]
zcrypt10.zip encryption support for Zip 1.1

MacZip106src.zip contains all the GUI stuff and the project files
to build
the MacZip main-app. To build MacZip
successfully, both
the Zip 2.4 and UnZip 5.5 sources are required,
too.

wiz502.zip WiZ 5.02, Windows 9x/NT GUI front-end for
Info-ZIP DLLs
wiz502+dlls.zip WiZ 5.02, Windows 9x/NT GUI front-end plus DLL
sources

[*] Unreducing and unshrinking are not turned on by default but are
included
in source form. See UnZip's INSTALL file for details.

[**] As of January 2000, US export regulations were amended to allow
export
of free encryption source code from the US. The UnZip 5.5 and
WiZ 5.02
archives now include full crypto source code, as will the next
release
of Zip. In the meantime, zcrypt29.zip is available as an add-on
for
Zip 2.4. Note that encryption *binaries* are still restricted,
while
decryption-only binaries have never been restricted. Other
restrictions
may apply in other countries.

Executables archives (and related files) for Info-ZIP's software; not
all
of these will be immediately available due to lack of access to
appropriate
systems on the part of Info-ZIP members. See the BBS section below
for
special CompuServe (6.3) filenames:

zip24x.zip MSDOS executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24x.zip MSDOS executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24x1.zip OS/2 1.x (16-bit) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24x1.zip OS/2 1.x (16-bit) executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24x2.zip OS/2 2/3/4.x (32-bit) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24x2.zip OS/2 2/3/4.x (32-bit) executables and docs
(w/encryption)
zip24xA.zip Amiga executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xA.zip Amiga executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24xB.zip BeOS executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xB.zip BeOS executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24xC.zip VM/CMS executable and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xC.zip VM/CMS executable and docs (with encryption)
zip24xK.zip Tandem NSK executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xK.zip Tandem NSK executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24xM.xmit MVS classic executable (no encryption)
zcr24xM.xmit MVS classic executable (with encryption)
zip24xM-docs.zip MVS classic port, docs only
zip24dN.zip WinNT/Win95 (Intel) DLL, header files, docs (no
encryption)
zcr24dN.zip WinNT/Win95 (Intel) DLL, header files, docs
(w/encryption)
zip24xN.zip WinNT/Win95 (Intel) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xN.zip WinNT/Win95 (Intel) executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24xN-axp.zip WinNT (Alpha AXP) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xN-axp.zip WinNT (Alpha AXP) executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24xN-mip.zip WinNT (MIPS R4000) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xN-mip.zip WinNT (MIPS R4000) executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24xN-ppc.zip WinNT (PowerPC) executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xN-ppc.zip WinNT (PowerPC) executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24xO.zip IBM OS/390 Open Edition binaries and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xO.zip IBM OS/390 Open Edition binaries and docs (w/
encryption)
zip24xQ.zip SMS/QDOS executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xQ.zip SMS/QDOS executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24xR.zip Acorn RISC OS executables and docs (no
encryption)
zcr24xR.zip Acorn RISC OS executables and docs (with
encryption)
zip24xT.zip Atari TOS executables and docs (no encryption)
zcr24xT.zip Atari TOS executables and docs (with encryption)
zip24-vms-axp-obj.zip (no encryption)
VMS (Alpha AXP) object libs, link procedure and
docs
zip24-vms-axp-exe.zip (no encryption)
VMS (Alpha AXP) executables for VMS 6.1 or later
and docs
zip24-vms-vax-decc-obj.zip (no encryption)
VMS (VAX) object libs (new DEC C), link procedure
and docs
zip24-vms-vax-decc-exe.zip (no encryption)
VMS (VAX) executables (DEC C) for VMS 6.1 or
later; docs
zip24-vms-vax-vaxc-obj.zip (no encryption)
VMS (VAX) object libs (old VAX C), link procedure
and docs
zcr24-vms-axp-obj.zip (with encryption)
VMS (Alpha AXP) object libs, link procedure and
docs
zcr24-vms-axp-exe.zip (with encryption)
VMS (Alpha AXP) executables for VMS 6.1 or later
and docs
zcr24-vms-vax-decc-obj.zip (with encryption)
VMS (VAX) object libs (new DEC C), link procedure
and docs
zcr24-vms-vax-decc-exe.zip (with encryption)
VMS (VAX) executables (DEC C) for VMS 6.1 or
later; docs
zcr24-vms-vax-vaxc-obj.zip (with encryption)
VMS (VAX) object libs (old VAX C), link procedure
and docs
zip24x.hqx Macintosh BinHex'd executables and docs (no
encryption)

unz550x.exe MSDOS self-extracting executable (16-bit unzip,
..., docs)
unz550x3.exe MSDOS self-extracting executable (16-, 32-bit
unzip, docs)
unz550x1.exe OS/2 1.x (16-bit) self-extracting executables and
docs
unz550x2.exe OS/2 2/3/4.x (32-bit) self-extracting executables
and docs
unz550d2.zip OS/2 2/3/4.x (32-bit) DLL, header file, demo exe
and docs
unz550xA.ami Amiga self-extracting executables and docs
unz550xA.lha Amiga executables and docs, LHa archive
unz550xB.sfx BeOS self-extracting executables and docs
unz550xB.tar.gz BeOS executables and docs, gzip'd tar archive
unz550xC.mod VM/CMS executable module in "packed" format
unz550xC-docs.zip VM/CMS docs, only
unz550xF.zip FlexOS executable and docs
unz550xK.zip Tandem NSK executable and docs
unz550xM.xmit MVS classic executable
unz550xM-docs.zip MVS classic port, docs only
unz550dN.zip WinNT/Win95 (32-bit Intel) DLL, header files,
docs
unz550xN.exe WinNT/Win95 self-extracting Intel executables and
docs
unz550xN-axp.exe WinNT (Alpha AXP) self-extracting executables and
docs
unz550xN-mip.exe WinNT (MIPS R4000) self-extracting executables
and docs
unz550xN-ppc.exe WinNT (PowerPC) self-extracting executables and
docs
unz550xQ.sfx SMS/QDOS self-extracting executables and docs
unz550xO.tar.Z IBM OS/390 Open edition (Unix-like), exes and
docs
unz550xR.exe Acorn RISC OS self-extracting executables and
docs
unz550xR.spk Acorn RISC OS Spark'd executables and docs
unz550xT.tos Atari TOS self-extracting executables and docs
unz550x-vms-axp-obj.bck VMS backup saveset,
contains UnZip (Alpha) obj libs, link procedure,
docs
unz550x-vms-axp-obj.exe VMS (Alpha AXP) SFX archive (statically
linked),
contains UnZip (Alpha) obj libs, link procedure,
docs
unz550x-vms-axp-exe.exe VMS (Alpha AXP) SFX archive (dynamically
linked),
contains UnZip (Alpha AXP, DEC C) executables and
docs,
smaller than object archive, but requires VMS 6.1
unz550x-vms-vax-decc-obj.bck VMS backup saveset,
contains UnZip (new DEC C) obj libs, link
procedure, docs
unz550x-vms-vax-decc-obj.exe VMS (VAX) SFX archive (statically
linked),
contains UnZip (new DEC C) obj libs, link
procedure, docs
unz550x-vms-vax-decc-exe.exe VMS (VAX) SFX archive (dynamically
linked),
contains UnZip (new DEC C) executables and docs,
smaller than object archive, but requires VMS 6.1
unz550x-vms-vax-vaxc-obj.bck VMS backup saveset,
contains UnZip (old VAX C) obj libs, link
procedure, docs
unz550x-vms-vax-vaxc-obj.exe VMS (VAX) SFX archive (statically
linked),
contains UnZip (old VAX C) obj libs, link
procedure, docs
unz550x.hqx Macintosh BinHex'd executables and docs for unzip
(unz550x.tar.{Z,gz} Unix exes/docs for Solaris 2.x, SCO Unix,
Linux, etc.,
depending on directory/location; generally only
provided
in cases where the OS does *not* ship with a
bundled C
compiler)

MacZip106nc.hqx Macintosh combined Zip&UnZip application with
GUI,
executables and docs (no encryption)
MacZip106c.hqx Macintosh combined Zip&UnZip application with
GUI,
executables and docs (with encryption)

wiz502xN.exe WiZ 5.02 32-bit (Windows 9x/NT/2000) app+docs
(self-extr.)

UnzpHist.zip complete changes-history of UnZip and its
precursors
ZipHist.zip complete changes-history of Zip

The latest from PKWARE (the guys who started it all):

pk250dos.exe MS-DOS PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.50 (self-extracting
archive)
pkz110eu.exe MS-DOS PKZIP/PKUNZIP 1.1 (self-extracting)
pkos2250.exe OS/2 PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.50 (self-extracting)
pkz102-2.exe OS/2 PKZIP/PKUNZIP 1.02 (self-extracting)
pk263w16.exe Windows 16-bit PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.60.03
(self-extracting)
pkzw400s.exe Windows 32-bit PKZIP/PKUNZIP 4.00
(self-extracting)
pk260w_a.exe Windows NT/Alpha PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.60
(self-extracting)
pk260w_p.exe Windows NT/PowerPC PKZIP/PKUNZIP 2.60
(self-extracting)
pkzc400s.exe Win9x/NT command line PKZIP/PKUNZIP 4.00
(self-extracting)
pk250c_a.exe Windows NT/Alpha command line PKZIP 2.50
(self-extracting)
pk250c_p.exe Windows NT/PPC command line PKZIP 2.50
(self-extracting)
pk???251.exe Unix PKZIP 2.51, ???=sun,dig,aix,sco,hpx,lin
(self-extr.)

Third-party software that incorporates Info-ZIP code:

OS/2: Warp 3.0 BonusPak, FileJet, The UnZip Shell, zipmeister
(PMZip),
ZipFly(?)
Windows (NT, 95 and/or 3.x): Nico Mak WinZip, InnerMedia DynaZIP
DLL,
NewVision Zip[Shell] Pro, FlashPoint ZIP Navigator and Unzip95,
Z (port of ZipInfo; z101.zip), PowerArchiver (free WinZip clone)
MS-DOS: FileJet
Macintosh: ZipIt
generic Unix: lzpip103.zip

Third-party software that uses (or can use) Info-ZIP software:

OS/2: Zip Control, ZiPMe, Workplace Shell UnZip (WUZ), Drop and
Zip,
Archive Front End, Archive Manager, Archive Viewer, File
Manager/2,
FileStar/2, ZTreeBold, PMZipper, simple zipshell, HyperView,
XBBS-OS/2,
LiveWire
Windows: WinCMD
MS-DOS: SHEZ archiver shell
NeXTStep 3.x: Opener

ftp/web sites for the US-exportable sources and executables:

NOTE: Look for the Info-ZIP file names given above (not PKWARE or
third-
party stuff) in the following locations. Some sites like to use
slightly
different names, such as zip-2.4.tar.gz instead of zip24.tar.Z.

ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ [THE INFO-ZIP
HOME SITE]
ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/archiving/zip/ [MIRRORS THE INFO-ZIP
HOME SITE]
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/infozip/ [MIRRORS THE INFO-ZIP
HOME SITE]
ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/zip/ [MIRRORS THE INFO-ZIP
HOME SITE]
ftp://unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/uunet/pub/archiving/zip/

ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/aerosol/doc/archiver/{all,dos,os2,mac,vax_a
lpha}/
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/arcers/ [AND OTHER GARBO
MIRRORS]
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/unix/arcers/ [AND OTHER GARBO
MIRRORS]
ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc/pack/ [AND OTHER STUBA
MIRRORS]
ftp://ftp-os2.cdrom.com/pub/os2/archiver/
ftp://ftp-os2.nmsu.edu/os2/archiver/
ftp://ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/os2/archiver/
ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/cmp/
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/util/arc/ [AND OTHER AMINET
MIRRORS]
ftp://atari.archive.umich.edu/pub/Archivers/ [AND OTHER UMICH
MIRRORS]
http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/Archivers/
ftp://jake.educom.com.au/pub/infozip/acorn/ [Acorn
RISC OS]
http://www.sitec.net/maczip/
[MacZip port]

ftp/web sites for the encryption and decryption sources and/or
executables:

NOTE: Non-US users, please do NOT ftp from the US sites (US
regulations
and all that). Likewise, US users, please do not ftp from the
European
sites if it can be avoided (it's not illegal, but it is a waste of
expensive trans-Atlantic bandwidth).

From the US:
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/mirrors/garbo.uwasa.fi/arcers/

Outside the US:
ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/ [THE INFO-ZIP ENCRYPTION
HOME SITE]
ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc/pack/
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/arcers/
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/system/arch-compr/
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/leo/archiver/
(mail server at ftp-m...@ftp.leo.org)

ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/compression/zip/
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/msdos/arc-utils/zip/

The primary distribution site for the MacZip port can be found at:

http://www.sitec.net/maczip/

ftp sites for VMS-format Zip and UnZip packages (sources, object files
and
executables, no encryption/decryption--see also "Mail servers" section
below):

ftp.spc.edu [192.107.46.27] and ftp.wku.edu:

[.MACRO32]AAAREADME.TXT
[.MACRO32.SAVESETS]UNZIP.BCK or UNZIP.ZIP (if already have older
version)
[.MACRO32.SAVESETS]ZIP.ZIP

To find other ftp/web sites:

The "archie" ftp database utility can be used to find an ftp site
near
you (although the command-line versions always seem to find old
ver-
sions...the `FTPsearch' server at
http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ftpsearch
--formerly `Archie 95'--is quite up-to-date, however). Or check a
stan-
dard WWW search engine like AltaVista
(http://www.altavista.digital.com/)
or Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com/). If you don't know how to use
these,
DON'T ASK US--read the web sites' help pages or check the Usenet
groups
news.announce.newusers or news.answers or some such, or ask your
system
administrator.

UUCP sites:

uunet!~/pub/archiving/zip/ ...

Bulletin boards (commercial and otherwise):

Sources, MS-DOS executables:
CompuServe IBMPRO forum, Library 10, Data Compression
(unz550.zip,
sources; unz550.exe, self-extracting executables and docs)
CompuServe (ZiffNet) PBSUTIL forum and Public Brand Software BBS
[US, membership required; V.32 line, (317) 856-1490]
(unz550.zip, sources; unz550.exe, self-extracting exes and
docs)
America Online OS/2 Forum, Free Uploading area; also Top Picks
lib-
rary, File/Disk Utilities library, and OS/2 1.x library (do
key-
word search via ctrl-K: FILE SEARCH on "INFOZIP")
FidoNet node 1:124/2113, Lunatic Fringe [Richardson, Texas; BBS
(214) 235-5288; sysop john.s...@lunatic.com; complete
mirror
of Info-ZIP home site]
FidoNet node 1:246/74, Metal Shoppe BBS [Windsor, Ontario; CLink
node 911:6510/0; BBS (519) 256-0278; sysop
ra...@cyberspace.net
(Ray Akey); micro-based files but no Unix/VMS/NT stuff]
Drealm Conference System [London, UK; V.22bis, subscriber lines
to V.32bis, etc.; (+44) 81 568 2204]
Compulink Information eXchange (CIX) [London, UK; BBS 14.4 and
28.8
lines, (+44) 181 390-1244, -1255 and -9787; executables in
"the
filepool," sources in free_software/sources]

Windows sources and executables (filenames, locations not yet
final):
CompuServe CRAFTS forum (wiz502.zip, WiZ 32-bit version)

OS/2 executables:
CompuServe OS2USER forum (zip24.zip and unz550.exe, OS/2 16- and
32-bit exes and docs)

Amiga executables:
BIX in AMIGA files section (perform keyword search on
"info-zip")
[requires account; telnet bix.com, or "C BIX" via local
Sprint
X.25 PAD, or dial direct in US at (617) 491-5410]

Mail servers:

To get the encryption sources by e-mail, send the following
commands
to ftp-m...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de:

get /pub/comp/os/os2/archiver/zcrypt29.zip
quit

To get the VMS Zip/UnZip package by e-mail, send the following
commands in the body of a mail message to file...@wku.edu (the
"HELP" command is also accepted):

SEND FILESERV_TOOLS
SEND UNZIP
SEND ZIP

To get Atari executables by e-mail, send a message to
at...@atari.archive.umich.edu for information about the mail
server.
*

David Pitt

Jun 20, 2011, 10:48:54 AM6/20/11
Patric, on 20 Jun, wrote:

> In message <mpro.ln3apx00...@pittdj.co.uk>
> David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

[snip - *showregs & *where]

> > (A *where that lists ftp sites seems a little odd!!)
>
> Ok but I can't see how this would be any help:
>
> *showregs Register dump (stored at &2000E88C) is: R0 = 00000012 R1 =
> 2030094A R2 = 00000045 R3 = 000000C0 R4 = 0000005A R5 = 0000005A R6 =
> 00000000 R7 = 00000002 R8 = 00000001 R9 = 7FFFFFFF R10 = 000000FD R11 =
> 201E37B4 R12 = 203006B4 R13 = FA207F50 R14 = 203052D0 R15 = 203052EC Mode
> SVC32 flags set: nzCvqjggggeAift PSR = 20000113

>*where
>
> This is the Info-ZIP file ``WHERE,'' last updated on 26 November
> 2001.

[snip]

I remember now! !InfoZip's !Boot has this :-

| Add Info-ZIP routines to Run$Path
If "<Infozip$Path>" = "" Then Set Run$Path <Run$Path>,Infozip:
Set Infozip$Path <Infozip$Dir>.Routines.

Less than helpfully the Routines directory contains a textfile called
"WHERE".

--
David Pitt

trevj

Jun 26, 2011, 4:53:32 PM6/26/11
On Jun 19, 3:29 pm, Patric <pat...@invalid.com> wrote:

> I think you're right about the Post Script driver being broken.
>
> [snip]

Rob Sprowson has quietly fixed this one:
http://riscosopen.org/viewer/revisions/logs?ident=1309087292-579539.html

For the curious, click on the lower 'castle/RiscOS/Sources/Printing/
Modules/PDModules/s/Core/FontSWI' link for the changes to FontSWI.

Bryan Hogan

Jun 28, 2011, 7:26:30 PM6/28/11
In message <mpro.ln2qvh00...@pittdj.co.uk>
David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> This issue is associated with the use of a 32k colour mode, which is
> the best I can get out my ARMmin on this monitor, 1600x1050@32k@55Hz.

That's odd - as I understand it, colour depth makes no difference to
the resolution/frequency you can use.

I've certainly done 1600x1050 in 16M colours on my ARMini.

Bryan.
--
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

David Pitt

Jun 29, 2011, 3:46:27 AM6/29/11
In message <0a25a8ea...@helpful.demon.co.uk>
Bryan Hogan <sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>In message <mpro.ln2qvh00...@pittdj.co.uk>
> David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> This issue is associated with the use of a 32k colour mode, which is
>> the best I can get out my ARMmin on this monitor, 1600x1050@32k@55Hz.
>
>That's odd - as I understand it, colour depth makes no difference to
>the resolution/frequency you can use.

The problem is twinkling pixels, the monitor does lock to 16M colour
modes. The backdrop images supplied with the ARMini are very good at
revealing this issue.

>I've certainly done 1600x1050 in 16M colours on my ARMini.

To be really clear of the effect when viewing 16M colour images I need
to throttle back to 1028*768.

The monitor is an HP2229h.

--
David Pitt

MessengerPro 6 on an ARMini running RISC OS 5

cfe...@freeremoveuk.com.invalid

Jun 29, 2011, 4:29:48 AM6/29/11
In message <83ead5ea5...@iyonix.home>
David Pitt <pit...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <0a25a8ea...@helpful.demon.co.uk>
> Bryan Hogan <sp...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In message <mpro.ln2qvh00...@pittdj.co.uk>
> > David Pitt <ne...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> The problem is twinkling pixels, the monitor does lock to 16M colour
> modes. The backdrop images supplied with the ARMini are very good at
> revealing this issue.

Doesn't this sound like the effect of driving the VIDC chip too hard -
in a RPC - and why LCD's that can be driven at about 30Hz are be sort
after for the ARMini.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a heat sink?