August AU?

Liam Gretton

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Does anyone know when the August Acorn User is due out?

The AU website hasn't been updated since April, which is very useful.

--
Liam Gretton l...@star.le.ac.uk
Space Research Centre, http://www.src.le.ac.uk/

John Cartmell

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article <ant04085...@xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk>,

Liam Gretton <l...@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone know when the August Acorn User is due out?
It was on sale on Saturday at the show - but I believe the official date is
this Thurdsday.

> The AU website hasn't been updated since April, which is very useful.

NOT!
(and, considering the state of my website, can I humbly apologise to AU for
being critical about theirs.)

--
John Cartmell, Manchester UK
Fleur Designs

Brian Ferris

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
That site is always or rather never updated to actually reflect the current
issue out.
The contents are rarely updated either.
It's a real waste ?
I suppose they haven't got anyone to do it or are they all working hard
for Linux user in their spare time ?
Quite an embarrassment, really.
Brian

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ brian....@argonet.co.uk

P.R.J. Shayler

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article <ant04085...@xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk>,
Liam Gretton <l...@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone know when the August Acorn User is due out?

> The AU website hasn't been updated since April, which is very useful.

I belive it was sent out from the distributor on Monday 3rd July, it was on
sale at the Acorn South East show as Tau had some available.

Regards, Paul S.

NO RISC??..........NO FUN!!
ACORN SA-RPC using SA-110 StrongARM (TM) RISC processor
Paul G6TSF g6...@amsat.org

Ian Jeffray

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Brian Ferris wrote:

> That site is always or rather never updated to actually reflect the current
> issue out.

> Quite an embarrassment, really.

Pretty pathetic, I agree. They constantly whinge on about having no
subscribers and want support for their mag (which, imo, has much less
useful content than "Archive") but then don't update the website, don't
answer the 'phone, have a fax number which doesn't work, and post
incorrect contact email addresses to these groups. Stupid. I'm all
for supporting the mag, but hell, it's almost impossible to buy it!!

I.

greg

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
In message <49d8efa...@g6tsf.demon.co.uk>
P.R.J. Shayler <pa...@g6tsf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <ant04085...@xmm4.xra.le.ac.uk>,
> Liam Gretton <l...@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Does anyone know when the August Acorn User is due out?
>
> > The AU website hasn't been updated since April, which is very useful.
>
> I belive it was sent out from the distributor on Monday 3rd July, it was on
> sale at the Acorn South East show as Tau had some available.

Picked mine up from my local newsagent yesterday.
Nice CD. :-)

--
Greg Harris, Norwich (gr...@deloney.demon.co.uk)

John Purser

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
In article <b3b68ad949%gr...@deloney.demon.co.uk>, greg
<gr...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
Yeah nice;-) As soon as I opened one of the CD lock directories it
locked my CD before I'd run anything. Anybody found the Int-install
prog mentioned in the mag - I can't
--
John Purser: Replace "SPAMBIN" with "john" to reply.

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
Hiya,

>Yeah nice;-) As soon as I opened one of the CD lock directories it
>locked my CD before I'd run anything. Anybody found the Int-install
>prog mentioned in the mag - I can't

Sounds fun.

The Int-install program : hmmm, truth be told, I was asked not to
include it (nicely) as it would have annoyed those who sell a similar
product.

Have you tried using the archived version of CDLock to see if it does
the same?

TTFN

Paul
AU CD guy

Philip Pemberton

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00

I agree with you. If they slapped an 800K floppy on the front every month (for
the £4.20 I pay for it, they should be able to) and put some software, Drawfiles,
etc. on it then I'd take out a subscription. It would also be nice to see a
website (for AU) that is _NOT_ two months out of date!

--
Phil.
phi...@bigfoot.com

Philip Pemberton

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
To be honest, although the CD was, in general, very good, about 25% of
the stuff on there simply won't run. Burn 'Out works OK, but the "stop
the clock" cheat module does nothing. Completely ineffective. I enjoyed
playing Lemmings 2 though :-) Awful nice of you to put Spark on there -
thought you were only allowed to put SparkPlug on the CDs - TTBOMK Spark
is still "commercialware". Also, I've got another proposition for future
CDs - raFS! I'm sure Richard Atterer would let you put raFS on a CD. You
could put everything in an raFS "DiscApp" - no more "Can't find file
'Loader!'" errors - less problems for us readers :-)

Philip Pemberton

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00

Ian Jeffray

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
Philip Pemberton wrote:

> To be honest, although the CD was, in general, very good, about 25% of
> the stuff on there simply won't run. Burn 'Out works OK, but the "stop
> the clock" cheat module does nothing. Completely ineffective.

Indeed... the CD version is a fresh compile... things will have moved about.

Check the !ReadMe included with Burn 'Out and you'll learn about "F11"... ;-)

Ian.

paulf.johnson

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Hiya,

> Awful nice of you to put Spark on there - thought you were only allowed to
> put SparkPlug on the CDs

Don't be confused.

SparkFS is still the full commercial piece of kit.
Spark/SparkPlug (Spark is the newer name) always has had the capability to
create archives.

If you look, SparkFS installs on the disc side of the iconbar,
Spark/Sparkplug goes on the other.

Please don't give me another heart attack!!!!!!

TTFN

Paul

-------
Sent from the heart of British Technology at its best - the all
new RiscStation R7500

Chris Hughes

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
[Posted and mailed]

In message <656aacdb49%paulf....@redhotant.redhotant.com>
paulf.johnson <paulf....@redhotant.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> > Awful nice of you to put Spark on there - thought you were only allowed to
> > put SparkPlug on the CDs
>
> Don't be confused.
>
> SparkFS is still the full commercial piece of kit.
> Spark/SparkPlug (Spark is the newer name) always has had the capability to
> create archives.
>
> If you look, SparkFS installs on the disc side of the iconbar,
> Spark/Sparkplug goes on the other.
>
> Please don't give me another heart attack!!!!!!

Both !SparkFS and !Spark are commercial!

!Sparkplug is freely available as a reader only.

Spark was the original file archiver. But is a full system and SPARK is NOT
the 'newer' name for !Sparkplug.

--
Chris Hughes
(member of the Wakefield Acorn Computer User Group, opinions are mine alone

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Hiya,

>Both !SparkFS and !Spark are commercial!
>
>!Sparkplug is freely available as a reader only.
>
>Spark was the original file archiver. But is a full system and SPARK is NOT
>the 'newer' name for !Sparkplug.

This is not what I've had.

When (about 2 days before releasing the CD) I downloaded SparkPlug,
this is what came through.

I have always been able to archive with SparkPlug.

TTFN

Paul

Nick

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
In article <396982cb....@news.salford.ac.uk>, Paul F. Johnson
<URL:mailto:paulf....@redhotant.com> wrote:

Erm... SparkPlug allowed you to create a new Spark archive (just
click on the iconbar icon or follow iconbar menu->New Arc->...)
but try dragging sommit' into it! No go.

I'm afriad that Chris was right in that !Spark was the original
commercial version of what became !SparkFS. You can tell in two
ways:

(1) Look at the app's info window (the commercial version is
rather standard, while the PD/SparkPlug version has full
text in the info window for how to upgrade).

(2) Ask David Pilling?

I hope for your sake you are right, but...

As a matter of interest, both SparkPlug and Spark look identical
from the iconbar (apart from the actual icon), including the fact
SparkPlug states just 'Spark' on the iconbar menu.

Regardless of this matter - if you haven't got the full SparkFS
package, you are really missing out on a major item that I
personally use every hour the computer is switched on. SparkFS
is transparent in use and brilliant. If you haven't bought it
yet, do so now! The older Spark was not even close in use...

All the best,

Nick

David H Wild

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
In article <656aacdb49%paulf....@redhotant.redhotant.com>,

paulf.johnson <paulf....@redhotant.com> wrote:
> SparkFS is still the full commercial piece of kit. Spark/SparkPlug
> (Spark is the newer name) always has had the capability to create
> archives.

> If you look, SparkFS installs on the disc side of the iconbar,
> Spark/Sparkplug goes on the other.

I'm sorry, paul, but this isn't true. SPARK was a separate program, with
more functionality than SparkPlug, but less than SparkFS. I have a copy,
which I don't use now, and I **bought** it from David Pilling.

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________

|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC

| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines

___________________________/ dhw...@argonet.co.uk

Ian Jeffray

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
"Paul F. Johnson" wrote:

> I have always been able to archive with SparkPlug.

You're clearly talking complete rubbish. SparkPlug is read-only!!

Ian.

Steven Pampling

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
In article <ant1011353a9%wu&@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk>,
Nick <ni...@astutegrfx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[speaking of the commercial status of Spark]

> I hope for your sake you are right, but...

But he's not. Spark still remains as a commercial application. Cheap, but
commercial.

Oh, well never mind:
1. Davids a nice chap, maybe he'll do a cheap bulk rate for Acorn User.
2. People really ought to use SparkFS anyway, all those extra archive
types, and configurable output...

--
Steve Pampling

Chris Hughes

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
In message <49dc0f61...@argonet.co.uk>

David H Wild <dhw...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <656aacdb49%paulf....@redhotant.redhotant.com>,
> paulf.johnson <paulf....@redhotant.com> wrote:
> > SparkFS is still the full commercial piece of kit. Spark/SparkPlug
> > (Spark is the newer name) always has had the capability to create
> > archives.
>
> > If you look, SparkFS installs on the disc side of the iconbar,
> > Spark/Sparkplug goes on the other.
>
> I'm sorry, paul, but this isn't true. SPARK was a separate program, with
> more functionality than SparkPlug, but less than SparkFS. I have a copy,
> which I don't use now, and I **bought** it from David Pilling.

David Pilling has confirmed that !Spark is still a Commercial product for
which money is paid for, and neither Tau Press or Chris Jihnson had
permission to distribute it on the CD. He will be talking to them re
distribute without a licence etc. He was not impressed.

Robert Seago

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
In article <49dc1a8939st...@argonet.co.uk>, Steven Pampling
<URL:mailto:steve.p...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Oh, well never mind:
> 1. Davids a nice chap, maybe he'll do a cheap bulk rate for Acorn User.
> 2. People really ought to use SparkFS anyway, all those extra archive
> types, and configurable output...

Surely everyone must have it. The best few quids worth you can buy.
Regards from : Using a : Software for RiscOS:Conservation Pages
Robert Seago : StrongArm RiscPC : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago/

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Hiya,

>David Pilling has confirmed that !Spark is still a Commercial product for
>which money is paid for, and neither Tau Press or Chris Jihnson had
>permission to distribute it on the CD. He will be talking to them re
>distribute without a licence etc. He was not impressed.

Please get my name right - it's Paul, not Chris. Chris Johnson works
up in one of the Scotish Unis, that's a shed load of distance from
sunny Salford.......

TTFN

Paul

Alan Perrow

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <396c290...@news.salford.ac.uk>, Paul F. Johnson
<paulf....@redhotant.com> wrote:
> Hiya,

> TTFN

> Paul

You have my sympathy Paul.
No, not for being wrongly called Chris, but for doing one of the easiest
things in the world, and saving the wrong thing to disc.
Which of us hasn't hit the wrong key, saving the wrong thing, or deleting
the thing we wanted?
Can I suggest that anyone who actually uses !Spark treats it as a chance
to try it freeely, but if used should send the cost of it to David Pilling?
David has done much for Acorn users, and I cannot believe that anyone
would want (or at least own up to wanting) to abuse someone through an
innocent mistake.
Perhaps a price could be quoted by David for upgrading to the full version?

Meanwhile thanks for the cd Paul, it's obvious a lot of work has gone in
to it, and I (and I'm sure others) appreicate it.
As some of the patches (Gods, Mariarti) were wrong, perhaps the website of
the whereabouts of correct patches could be published in C.S.A.G. and the
next AU?

Regards,
Alan

--
_______
/| |\
| O | / Then let us pray, than come it may,
| \_/ | / As come it will for 'a that
\_____/ / That man to man the world ower
/ Shall brothers be for a' that.

Andy McMullon

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In missive <8aa38fdc...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk>
Chris Hughes <ch...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk> expounded:

> David Pilling has confirmed that !Spark is still a Commercial product for
> which money is paid for, and neither Tau Press or Chris Jihnson had
> permission to distribute it on the CD. He will be talking to them re
> distribute without a licence etc. He was not impressed.

Interesting.

Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
!SparkPlug which is freeware?

Maybe that's where Chris has got confused. Unless you read the info box
you wouldn't necessarily realize is has a different restriction.

Of course, that's when you make the mistake of running them both. I
presume that once the "new arc" bits of Spark are in the FS they stay
there after even a quit and then SparkPlug can use them....

--
skyp...@bigfoot.com / an...@mcfamily.demon.co.uk

Darren Dootson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <396c290...@news.salford.ac.uk>, Paul F. Johnson

> TTFN
>
> Paul

*Sunny* salford? I lived by the east lancs for 32 years and even had the
misfortune to work on salford city shopping precinct for six months.
Is your salford somewhere else? The only Salford I know is described
spot on by John Cooper Clarke (Salford born & bred) in his song/poem :
'Beasley Street'.

Makes Leonard Cohen sound like Steps ;-)

D.

--
_ _______________________________________ #"""#
/_| _ _ _ /| /_ _/_ /'darren...@argonet.co.uk @ Ò~Ó @

51 things to do in a lift....
9. Offer name tags to everyone getting on the lift. Wear yours upside-down.

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Hiya,

> Also, I've got another proposition for future
>CDs - raFS! I'm sure Richard Atterer would let you put raFS on a CD. You
>could put everything in an raFS "DiscApp" - no more "Can't find file
>'Loader!'" errors - less problems for us readers :-)

CDFS with !CDFix (or using OS 4 or CDROMFS) has no problems with the
CDs.

I'm not sure what use raFS would be - I've had limited success with
raFS directories on CDs.

TTFN

Paul

Robert Hampton

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Andy McMullon <skyp...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> In missive <8aa38fdc...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk>
> Chris Hughes <ch...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk> expounded:
>

> Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
> !SparkPlug which is freeware?

Spark is NOT the same as SparkPlug. Spark allows you to create and write to
archives. SparkPlug can create archives but can't write to them. It is
read-only. Why are people having such difficulty understanding this concept?

--
Robert Hampton, Liverpool, UK
r_ha...@blueyonder.co.uk

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Hiya,

>You have my sympathy Paul.

Thanks.

>No, not for being wrongly called Chris, but for doing one of the easiest
>things in the world, and saving the wrong thing to disc.
>Which of us hasn't hit the wrong key, saving the wrong thing, or deleting
>the thing we wanted?

Lost a shed load of source files like that. I had been working on a
project, backed up to CD, did some more work, obtained OS 4,
reformatted and realised part way through that I'd not backed up since
the backup. It does happen.

>Can I suggest that anyone who actually uses !Spark treats it as a chance
>to try it freeely, but if used should send the cost of it to David Pilling?

Good idea.

>Perhaps a price could be quoted by David for upgrading to the full version?

Given that the full version is not that expensive (and, like Dave's
other material, is excellent v.f.m.), I think that paying full whack
would do.

>Meanwhile thanks for the cd Paul, it's obvious a lot of work has gone in
>to it, and I (and I'm sure others) appreicate it.

Given the roasting I've had on the ngs (and by email), this is not
that obvious.....

>As some of the patches (Gods, Mariarti) were wrong, perhaps the website of
>the whereabouts of correct patches could be published in C.S.A.G. and the
>next AU?

Don't see why not.

TTFN

Paul

Paul F. Johnson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Hiya,

>Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
>!SparkPlug which is freeware?

It doesn't. You can create archives with Spark. That said, I have now
found a version of SparkPlug which allowed you to create archives.

>Maybe that's where Chris has got confused. Unless you read the info box
>you wouldn't necessarily realize is has a different restriction.

I didn't know of the different restriction, that's why the mistake was
made. Also the fact that Spark is directly usable from the website
does not help......

TTFN

Paul

Dave Plowman

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <7425e1dc49%r_ha...@blueyonder.co.uk>,

Robert Hampton <r_ha...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
> > !SparkPlug which is freeware?

> Spark is NOT the same as SparkPlug. Spark allows you to create and write

> to archives. SparkPlug can create archives but can't write to them. It
> is read-only. Why are people having such difficulty understanding this
> concept?

I think Chris was posing a rhetorical question - always dodgy on a
newsgroup.;-)

--
No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman dave....@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Andy McMullon

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In missive <7425e1dc49%r_ha...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Robert Hampton <r_ha...@blueyonder.co.uk> expounded:

> Andy McMullon <skyp...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > In missive <8aa38fdc...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk>
> > Chris Hughes <ch...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk> expounded:
> >

> > Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
> > !SparkPlug which is freeware?
>
> Spark is NOT the same as SparkPlug. Spark allows you to create and write to
> archives. SparkPlug can create archives but can't write to them. It is
> read-only. Why are people having such difficulty understanding this concept?

Don't get your knickers in such a twist! I loaded both and they
appeared to be identical in functionality until, as you say, I tried to
save into the archive created by SparkPlug.

Why SparkPlug should retain the ability to create archives is beyond me
but that's why it is confusing.

--
skyp...@bigfoot.com / an...@mcfamily.demon.co.uk

John Cartmell

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
> Andy McMullon <skyp...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> > In missive <8aa38fdc...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk> Chris Hughes
> > <ch...@cumbrian.freeserve.co.uk> expounded:
> >
> > Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
> > !SparkPlug which is freeware?

> Spark is NOT the same as SparkPlug. Spark allows you to create and write
> to archives. SparkPlug can create archives but can't write to them. It
> is read-only. Why are people having such difficulty understanding this
> concept?

I think the existence of Spark, SparkPlug and SparkFS with Spark having
internal characteristics of SparkPlug rather than of SparkFS might be
partially the cause of the problem.

--
John Cartmell, Manchester UK
Fleur Designs
designer products for individuals & education services
craft products ~ information products ~ information services
** New Product - Krikos - designer board game for chess players **

Ian Jeffray

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
"Paul F. Johnson" wrote:

> Hiya,

> >Why would people pay for !Spark when it does exactly the same as
> >!SparkPlug which is freeware?
>
> It doesn't. You can create archives with Spark. That said, I have now
> found a version of SparkPlug which allowed you to create archives.

Really? Maybe you'd like to email this to David Pilling, as I'm sure
he'd be impressed that his decompression routines can suddenly
magically do compression...

I.

Dave Lawton

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <396CA179...@paradise-uk.net>, Ian Jeffray
Mine does that as well, it creates an archive (2 bytes in size)
on the harddisk, it just won't let you save anything into it.
When it's on the Icon bar it calls itself Spark, only if you
go to info does it tell you that it's really Sparkplug.
Just to show you how confusing this could be, I've got 3 versions
lurking on my harddisk, V2.23 (came with RISCOS 4), V2.26
(downloaded from David's site, and somewhere V2.25 (I haven't
found it yet) which autoloads itself if I try an open a Zip file
David, someone else has already asked, but I think it's worth
repeating, can you do a patch so that either the icon, or the
menu says Sparkplug ?
--
To reply, please click here > <jus...@lawetc.freeserve.co.uk>

David Bryan

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In message <396c3e35...@news.salford.ac.uk>

paulf....@redhotant.com (Paul F. Johnson) wrote:

> I didn't know of the different restriction, that's why the mistake was
> made. Also the fact that Spark is directly usable from the website
> does not help......

I can't find a directly usable copy on David's website. I can
only get a working copy of Spark by merging together the contents
of the Spark upgrade with the SparkPlug archive.

--
David Bryan

Philip Pemberton

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
> > Awful nice of you to put Spark on there - thought you were only allowed to
> > put SparkPlug on the CDs
> Don't be confused.
>
> SparkFS is still the full commercial piece of kit.
> Spark/SparkPlug (Spark is the newer name) always has had the capability to
> create archives.

And add files to them? Funny how my copy of Sparkplug won't let me add files to
archives.

> Please don't give me another heart attack!!!!!!

I've no intention of doing that. If I did that, AU would end up looking for a
new CD editor :-)

> Sent from the heart of British Technology at its best - the all
> new RiscStation R7500

You're lucky. Best machine I've got is an ARM610 RPC600 with 1MB VRAM, 400MB HD,
8MB of RAM and (don't laugh) a dual speed Sony CD ROM. Very slow.