Updates to PrintPDF and CashBook

Steve Fryatt

Apr 17, 2011, 2:41:13 PM4/17/11
I know that convention is to release updates to software before shows,
rather than after them, but discussions with visitors at Wakefield this
weekend turned up a couple of things that seemed to need attention.

Thanks to everyone who bought software CDs at the show: between you, you
raised £65 for Wakefield Hospice. :-)

PrintPDF 0.87
-------------

There's a bug in PrintPDF 0.86 which causes an incorrect buffer length to be
calculated for text encoding conversions (PDF information and bookmarks).
The most visible effect of this is that bookmark names and document
information fields can be truncated; there's also a possibility that it
could result in buffer overruns internally (which is bad news). As a
result, PrintPDF 0.87 is now available on my website, and I would encourage
all users to upgrade (this includes those who bought a CD at Wakefield
yesterday -- sorry).

For those who haven't come across it before, PrintPDF is a utility to
automate the process of creating PDF documents from RISC OS applications
using GhostScript. In conjunction with a dedicated PostScript printer
driver in !Printers, it allows a 'PDF printer' to be set up. Printing to
this will open a Create PDF dialogue box, from which the conversion
options (quality, PDF version and encryption/protection settings alongside
the new document info text) can be set and the new PDF dragged to a place on
disc.

PrintPDF is released as Freeware. For more information, and to download
copies of the latest version, visit

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/printpdf/

CashBook 1.23
-------------

I was reminded at the show that for the past couple of years I've said that
I'll fix the text search in CashBook so that by default it searches for
references and descriptions within fields without the need to enclose text
in wildcards. So as not to make it three years of inactivity, I've now done
this and the result is CashBook 1.23. The release also fixes an anomaly in
the forward/backward next/previous search continuation logic, which
apparently no-one (including myself) had noticed.

CashBook is a home accounts manager, which can track income and expenditure
across multiple accounts and credit cards and reconcile all transactions
against bank statements. Budgeting can be carried out flexibly against
unlimited analysis headings, and there's support for regular transactions
(including standing orders and direct debits), transaction templates and
extensive reporting. Transaction data can be imported from Personal
Accounts.

CashBook is released as Freeware. For more information, and to download
copies of the latest version, visit

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/cashbook/

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England