Operating System and Software updates release for ARMini

ARMini info / support

Sep 6, 2011, 11:40:09 AM9/6/11

R-Comp Interactive are pleased to announce that the promised Operating
System upgrade for ARMini users was released last week to existing
users.

Although the launch of the ARMini has been a relatively smooth affair,
we had promised users that they would be kept updated with new
features and extra polish as time progress. RCI's Andrew Rawnsley had
promised users that the first big update would appear by the end of
August, and we were happy to upload the files to the private area of
the ARMini website on-time last week, despite losing a day because of
the bank holiday.

The operating system is accompanied by "Super Pack 1" (aka SP1) which
contains lots (about 12Mb) of updated and additional disc-based
components, ranging from new bundled programs, to improved network
drivers, to hardware floating point examples, to CMOS ram tools (the
full list is quite extensive!)

The Operating System update has been made as simple as possible - a
friendly desktop application explains the process, and lists the
changes and new features, whilst a click on the "Update now" button
will install the new OS without the user having to lift a finger
(beyond clicking the mouse!). Once installed, we've even provided a
procedure to easily roll back to older versions should the need arise.

The new ARMini operating system provides (amongst other things) a
smoother desktop experience, with particular improvements to dragging
windows etc. It also has enhanced USB device support, and improved
handling of removable storage devices on the front USB ports. The
built-in card reader also performs better. The update incorporates
the new "filer action" window with a percentage completed bar during
copy/delete operations, and resolves some minor issues with David
Pilling apps.

All new ARMini computers will ship with the updates pre-installed.
Existing users should have received an email describing the updates,
and how to obtain them.

Future updates will aim to concentrate on new functionality, building
on the firm foundation already laid.