Organizer

1 view

Organizer

Jan 23, 2008, 8:15:51 PM1/23/08
New developer for Organizer

Chris Morison's personal information manager, Organizer, has been
acquired for further development by RISC OS user Nigel Willmott,
through his company North One Communications Ltd.

Organizer was designed and written by Chris for RISC OS and is a
staple program on the platform. But Chris has been unable to actively
develop the program for some time and offered the software back to the
RO community at the end of the summer, prior to his emigration to New
Zealand at the end of October.

Chris Morison said: "The demands of work, life and now my own family
have regrettably given me very little time to further develop
Organizer over the past few years. Therefore, as I prepared to
emigrate to New Zealand I initially planned to give the Organizer
source openly to the community rather than abandon it completely.
However, after being contacted by Nigel and after my own research into
the fate of other Open Source RISC OS projects, I decided that Nigel's
plan to continue Organizer as a fully supported commercial application
would be the best way to ensure its continued development. After
detailed discussions with Nigel I am confident that he will carry
Organizer forward with the enthusiasm it deserves, and that Organizer
users and the RISC OS community will benefit."

North One will be talking to programmers interested in further
development of the program, particularly those who still spend some of
their time working professionally on RO projects.

Nigel Willmott said: "RISC OS program development has increasingly
become dependent on the largely unpaid work and effort of enthusiasts
with programming skills. I hope this is one way an ordinary user can
contribute to keeping the platform going, particularly with such a key
applications program. Keeping Organizer development in one place will
avoid a possible split in the application and hopefully help to keep
vital programming skills working on the platform.

For the moment, the latest version of Organizer (v1.57) remains
available from Chris Morison's website (www.organizer.morison.net).

For suggestions on future development, contact Nigel Willmott at
orga...@blueyonder.co.uk

a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to cs...@owlart.net
Related mail to csaa-r...@owlart.net