First Steps with RISC OS 4: available in print again

David Bradforth

Sep 1, 2010, 4:35:25 PM9/1/10
The RISC OS operating system has evolved over the years to gain a reputation
as one of the most user friendly available. However for those new to an
operating system even the most simple things appearing on the screen will
lead to confusion and turmoil.

This is where First Steps with RISC OS comes in. We are using RISC OS 4 as a
basis for some detailed introductory tutorials to all aspects of the RISC OS
operating system. While the original plan was to produce separate editions
for RISC OS 4 and RISC OS 5 users this has, unfortunately, proven not to be
viable.

However, that is not a major problem as both RISC OS 5 and RISC OS 4 are
based upon RISC OS 3.8 so they share a common heritage and in many ways work
the same. RISC OS Adjust (RISC OS 4.39 and later) has significantly changed
the visual appearance of RISC OS, but the underlying means of controlling
the operating system remains the same.

This book does not aim to replace any Welcome Guide that may have been
supplied with your computer; nor does it aim to explain complex hardware
issues that are specific to each manufacturer. While in an ideal world that
would be nice, there are too many computers available running RISC OS 4, and
the latest influx of PCs running RISC OS 4 within VirtualRPC-SE would serve
to further complicate the issue.

We have aimed to provide a book that is relatively jargon-free, so that the
complex terminology behind what we're doing is explained so you can gain a
better understanding of how to carry out these operations with RISC OS.
We've therefore adopted very simple language for the different sections of
this book. If you find that something has not been explained to your
satisfaction, let us know and we'll explain it for you before updating the
book to include a better explanation.

Previously available in A5 printed format; First Steps with RISC OS 4 is
available via MagCloud at $20 in American Letter format - slightly smaller
than A4.

At the same time I've made it available for free download to the iPad via
MagCloud.

Visit http://alligatamedia.magcloud.com for details of this and other
publications.

If you'd like a PDF version at GBP3, please email me.

Kind regards
David

a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to cs...@owlart.net