Another port of dcraw available

Thomas Milius

Feb 22, 2009, 6:29:13 AM2/22/09
I have just put a port of dcraw V8.91 to RISC OS on my homepage.

Friday afternoon I required a program which converts RAW files of my new
digital camera to another image format which can be used under RISC OS.
I found the source of dcraw and ported it within some hours. Before
I put it on my homepage I searched a bit around and had to note that there
have been at least 3 ports of the program to RISC OS over the years. The last
one in October 2008 (Version 8.89). However none of them seems to be really
public avaliable.

My port has advantages and disadvantages:

-My port has been compiled on ROOL/Norcroft C/C++.
-It is V8.91.
-A JPEG library was missing so owners of some Kodak cameras will not be
happy with it.
-The pixel exclosure feature hasn't be implemented yet.
-It supports RISC OS file name style.
-Until now it has been linked against Stubs nad not StubsG library.
-There is no graphical user interface until now.

In general dcraw seems to work very slow and requires around 100MB free
memory. However the results seems to be ok.

Digital cameras are providing JPEG output also which is really satisfying for
the regular usage. However JPEG has some limitations in case that you have to
do intensive processing with the images (which I want to do with certain
pictures of my camera).

If you have usage for my port of dcraw (which is of course Freeware) you can
download it from my homepage under computer activities

http://www.thomas-milius.privat.t-online.de/indexE.htm

or directly from

http://www.thomas-milius.privat.t-online.de/Downlaod/Freeware/dcraw.zip

Regards