RCI announce new ARMiniX computer model, and ARMini price reduction

A Rawnsley

Oct 26, 2012, 5:06:23 AM10/26/12
R-Comp Interactive would like to announce the launch of a new member
of the ARMini family at the London show this weekend.

Known as the ARMiniX, the new computer employs a 1.2Ghz ARM Cortex A9
design processor for top-of-the-line RISC OS performance. The fast
processor is backed up by 1024Mb (1 Gigabyte) of high performance RAM,
32Gb of high speed flash storage and a CD/DVD read/write drive.

The computer uses technology developed under our PandaLand support
scheme, and adds new custom hardware modules to expand the
functionality of the board.

The ARMiniX supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 (1080p) and
1920x1200. Whilst it should work with most modern monitors, we are
able to leverage the experience with pushing the ARMini's video
capabilities to ensure that the ARMiniX offers a wide range of video
modes, high resolutions and colour depths.

Benchmarks show considerable performance gains compared with standard
model ARMini - the soon-to-be-released "FastDosBox" PC emulator scored
15.9 in a cpu/gfx benchmark on ARMini, yet 33.1 on ARMiniX! Of
course, the performance gains will vary depending on the type of task
- general use will feel "a bit faster". One area we have strived hard
to improve is I/O performance (eg. disc operations) which can be as
much as 8x faster (typically 4x) than ARMini, thanks to work done here
at RCI, and with our partners at RISC OS Open Ltd.

The ARMiniX comes with the usual lavish bundle of software supplied
with the ARMini family, including Aemulor Pro for legacy software
support. A new inclusion to the software bundle is RCI's !MusicCD
software to facilitate playing of audio CDs on modern digital-only
CD/DVD drives.

Of course, the sensible question when faced with any new product like
this is to ask "what are the downsides?". As with any new RISC OS
machine, some applications have needed updates. The Cortex A9
architecture broadly conforms to the standards laid down for ARMini
compatibility (ARMv7), so there shouldn't be too many surprises/
problems. However, the fact that some applications have needed
updates (we worked with David Pilling until the wee-hours of the
morning to help get Ovation Pro fully functional), suggests that users
may feel more comfortable with the standard ARMini for max software
compatibility - certainly the ARMini's range of software compatibility
is now excellent, so we understand why users would want to go that
route.

So, what does the X in ARMiniX stand for? Some might say eXtreme, and
that would certainly fit the bill. Perhaps eXperimental? To some
degree, but our eXperience with delivering ARMini should give you
confidence on that score. It certainly is eXciting, we hope eXcellent,
maybe even eXhilarating! But an X is also a kiss, and yes, we love
our RISC OS here at RCI, and we love our ARMinis! So let us introduce
you to your new love... the ARMiniX :)

With the release of the ARMiniX, we are taking the opportunity to
improve the base ARMini specification by doubling its standard storage
from 8Gb to 16Gb. This also brings with it a performance improvement,
with the standard use of a top-flight 16Gb drive. This was previously
an optional extra. We are also dropping the base price from 599ukp to
549ukp inc VAT with immediate effect.

Best wishes,

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS