JDServer 0.08 released

Dave Higton

Apr 28, 2013, 11:36:18 AM4/28/13
I have released version 0.08 of JDServer. You will find it on my web
site, http://davehigton.me.uk

Anyone who has JDServer version 0.06 or earlier is advised to upgrade.
Version 0.07 fixed a bug preventing use of JDServer on machines whose
IP address was assigned via DHCP. Version 0.08 fixes a small quirk,
so far only seen by me: I double-clicked the app when it was already
running, and a second icon appeared on the icon bar.

To upgrade, all you need to do is quit JDServer, copy the new app over
the old one, and start it up. All settings are retained.

JDServer is a print server for RISC OS computers. If you have a RISC
OS computer with a printer connected to it, the printer will be shared
out via the widely used JetDirect protocol, also known as Raw. The
application accepts up to 10 print jobs simultaneously, from multiple
computers. The jobs are queued for printout through the Printer
Manager. The client machines can run any operating system you like;
I've tested it with RISC OS, Linux and Windows. RISC OS still multi-
tasks very well while the print jobs are coming in and being printed.

Note that the client machines still need to have a printer driver for
the printer in use.

JDServer is easy to install, and transparent in use. And it's free!
I've tested it successfully on Iyonix, BeagleBoard xM and Raspberry
Pi, accessed from RISC OS, Linux and Windows.

I welcome feedback; you can reach me either in comp.sys.acorn.apps or
as dave at davehigton dot me dot uk.

Enjoy!

Dave

a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.