LanMan98 v2.0

Robin Watts

Oct 10, 2008, 2:41:30 PM10/10/08
Warm Silence Software is proud to announce that version 2.0 of
LanMan98 will be launched at the SASUG RISC OS SE Show 2008 on
October 18th.

What's LanMan98?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LanMan98 is a CIFS client for RISC OS. In short, it enables RISC OS
machines to access shared storage across a network, and also (with
suitable printer drivers) to print to network printers.

This means that your RISC OS machine can transparently access drives
shared on PCs, Macs(*), Linux and other operating systems, including
dedicated Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices.

This makes LanMan98 ideal for any network with a mixture of
machine types - I myself back my RISC OS machines up onto my PC, and
share a single laser printer around all the machines in the house.

(* Some versions of Mac OS may require additional software on their
end)

What's new in Version 2?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Version 2.0 brings various improvements; most notably support for
encrypted passwords, improved handling of hidden files, and better
operation with Vista and NAS serers. Other small tweaks to usability
have been made too.

These fixes bring LanMan98 up to date with the security settings
frequently found in industry networks, and allow increasingly
prevalent/cheap NAS boxes to be accessed.

What's the benefit of a NAS box?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're running short of harddisc space in your RISC OS box, or PC
(and let's face it, who isn't!), you could buy a new harddrive and
cram it into the case. Or you could buy an external harddrive in a
NAS box, plug it into your home network, and instantly have access to
it from all the machines in your house.

* Accessible all the time (no need for a particular machine to be
turned on)
* If you upgrade your PC or RISC OS box, your storage moves with you.
* No need to cram another drive into an already full box.
* Add as many drives as you want (within reason!) to your system.
* Ideal as backup repositories.
* No drive size limits.

How much will it cost me?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've held the new purchase price at 35UKP+VAT. Upgrades from
previous versions will cost 20UKP+VAT.

How can I get one?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CJE will have stock for new customers at the show. Existing
customers can order upgrades there to be delivered via email after
the show by taking your name and serial number to show with you.

If you can't make it to the show, then you can order direct from us
at the address below by sending a cheque made payable to "Pinknoise
Productions Ltd". If you'd rather use a credit card, you can order
upgrades from CJE.

Who did all this wonderful work?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Credit is due to Alex Waugh, who has worked tirelessly with a group
of beta testers to update LanMan98 and work around all sorts of bugs
in the servers out there.

Can you sell me a NAS and LanMan98 together?

We (Warm Silence) don't sell hardware, so no. But I'm sure that
various RISC OS dealers will be putting bundles together soon - I'd
expect CJE to have some at the show...

Robin
--
Robin Watts, Email: <mailto:Robin...@wss.co.uk>