ROOL Update: USB memory sticks and bounties

Steve

Nov 2, 2011, 5:25:37 AM11/2/11
USB Memory Sticks

RISC OS Open are very happy to announce the immediate availability of two
different ROOL-branded USB sticks to buy from the ROOL store.

http://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/risc-os-usb-sticks

These sticks represent a proud milestone for RISC OS Open; we've been
working towards creating a stand-alone RISC OS solution for Windows and Mac
users since we formed in 2006. Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

RISC OS emulation (Windows, Mac, Linux)

This stick is specifically designed for Windows, Mac and Linux users who
want to have a RISC OS emulation solution. You do not need any other bits
and bobs and the Windows and Mac emulators have been pre-built and
pre-configured. Just plug the stick in and follow the instructions for your
system.

This stick includes all of the disc-based software found on the "Boot stick"
(below). Please note: networking support has not been configured/enabled in
these emulators.

Boot stick for native RISC OS hardware

This stick is Filecore formatted, meaning it can be read by native RISC OS
machines, including the Iyonix, Beagleboard, PandaBoard, Raspberry Pi to
name but a few. It contains the main RISC OS boot sequence, applications and
utilities, as well as a host of third-party applications and other goodies.

Because it has been Filecore formatted, you will not (normally) be able to
read from this USB stick on Windows, Mac or Linux machines.

Bonus material

Both USB sticks include a collection of bonus material, including
third-party applications (such as StrongED, SparkFS, AWViewer and many
more), source code for RISC OS and other ROOL goodies including a large set
of high-quality backdrop images.

ROOL Bounties

We have also made some updates on the RISC OS Open Bounties page (with some
more to follow shortly).

http://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/

We've added an important bounty to get work properly under way on improving
the RISC OS file system, with the long-term aim being to support (amongst
many other things) files larger than 2GB, large (e.g. TB sized) hard drives,
multiple partitions, extended meta-data, etc.

We have also expired a couple of unpopular bounties and redistributed any
money that was in those pots across the other bounties.

About RISC OS Open

RISC OS Open Limited (ROOL) is an organisation run on a largely voluntary
basis. We manage the process of publishing the source code to RISC OS, which
can be found on the site below. We also offer professional services to
anyone who is interested in developing commercial products using RISC OS.

http://www.riscosopen.org/content/

--
Stephen Revill, Director www.riscosopen.org
RISC OS Open Ltd