Magic Mushrooms 1.12 released

Martin Bazley

Jul 19, 2012, 4:25:45 PM7/19/12
Version 1.12 of Magic Mushrooms has unexpectedly escaped into cyberspace
and may currently be grabbed from:

http://www.starfighter.acornarcade.com/mysite/games.htm#magicmush

This is a complete rewrite for RISC OS computers of a BBC platform game
originally written by Neil Raine. The concept is simple: move around
the levels (ten in total), pick up all the mushrooms, and make your way
to the goal without dying or being mauled by one of this strange world's
exceptionally stupid blobby inhabitants.

I originally released this game in 2009 back when I had no clue what I
was doing, and the interface was rather weird and the code rather
ill-behaved. A number of these issues were progressively solved until I
released what I thought was the final version in 2011 (at least until I
got around to such tasks as bothering to draw more than two frames of a
walk cycle and doing something about the more dreadful parts of the
default level set). However, I recently had cause to test the game
again, and was rather surprised to discover that it crashed on my
ARMini.

Fear not, it wasn't ARM's fault, it was just I was doing something a bit
weird and unnecessary to the screen mode which for whatever reason had
stopped working properly. But now that I had taken a proper look at the
code again, I couldn't help but notice a rather long list of things
which sucked about it. So, I've devoted an unscheduled three or four
days to fixing up glitches in the game itself, properly playtesting the
level set for what I suspect is the very first time, and rewriting large
chunks of the editor to make it behave almost like a proper desktop
application and not something which made it very obvious that it was
first written back when I had no idea how to code a save box.

The new version is easily much better than its predecessor in a number
of ways, a few of which are even visible to the average end user, and I
urge everyone with a copy of the previous version to download the new
one. Anyone *not* with a copy of the previous version may still be
treasuring their ignorance, but feel free to give it a whirl - you won't
regret it quite as much as you would previously have done.

--
__<^>__ "Did you know that polar bears stay white all year round? ...The
/ _ _ \ white colour makes them less visible to the seals and penguins

a.m.c...@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to cs...@owlart.net
Related mail to csaa-r...@owlart.net