RCI announces availability of (L)Ubuntu Linux for ARMini users (and beagleboards)

A Rawnsley

Jul 8, 2011, 5:49:12 AM7/8/11
We are pleased to announce the availability of a second operating
system for ARMini users looking to explore/experiment with their
machines.

In recent times, the Ubuntu flavour of the Linux operating system has
become extremely popular, and we are pleased to make it available to
ARMini users, and owners of Beagleboards (xM edition *strongly*
recommended).

XWindows-based (GUI desktop) Linux remains quite a lethargic
experience on ARM CPUs (espeically compared to the slick performance
of RISC OS), so we have done our best to optimise things as best as
possible. We use the L (Lightweight) variant of Ubuntu (Lubuntu)
which replaces the normal (rather devisive) "Unity" front end with a
much lighter, more responsive UI, and default to faster, lighter
software such as Google's Chromium browser (open source version of
Chrome).

The supplied pack includes well known software such as LibreOffice
(formally known as OpenOffice.org), The Gimp (photo manipulation)
FireFox and Chrome (in its Chromium guise), plus many others.

The operating system is supplied on an 8Gb micro-SD card, which leaves
room for additional software and data.

The price for this is 35ukp inc, which includes the cost of a (high
speed) 8Gb micro-SD, as we found that most of the ordinary micro-SD
cards were too slow, as well as postage, and time to duplicate/set up
(just under an hour per order). No charge is being made for the Linux
itself. An introductory printed manual is also included, getting you
started and covering the key points of ARM Linux on OMAP3.

Please note that users are expected to use this to explore Linux and
its software applications, and this will almost certainly involve a
fair bit of reading online documentation, and Google searching.
Whilst the "out of the box" experience will provide users with a
flexible, desktop Linux environment, Linux for OMAP is constantly
evolving and improving, and we'd recommend users keep abreast of
things.

Best regards,

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS