Normative reference ISO/IEC 2382: useful?

1 view

Steven T. Hatton

Jul 21, 2005, 11:52:37 AM7/21/05
The ISO/IEC:14882:2003 states the following:

§1.2 "The following referenced documents are indispensable for the
application of this document. For dated references, only the edition cited
applies. For undated references, the latest edition of the referenced
document (including any amendments) applies.

ISO/IEC 2382 (all parts), Information technology ? Vocabulary"

The highest number assigned to a part of ISO/IEC 2382 is 36. Assuming this
is contiguous numbering, that would mean there are 36 documents specified
by the "(all parts)" qualification. The price for one these documents
ranges from $18US, to over $200US. I also believe many of these documents
would not be relevant to the ISO/IEC 14882. I firmly believe that clear
definitions of all domain specific terms should be provided either
directly, or via references in the ISO/IEC 14882. The ubiquitous reference
to "ISO/IEC 2382 (all parts), Information technology ? Vocabulary" is not a
useful means of providing such definitions.
--
STH
http://www.kdevelop.org

---