Why no support for template aliases?

Joe Gottman

Jun 25, 2011, 4:05:36 PM6/25/11

According to this website
(http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport) no current
compiler has support for the new template aliases. Why is this? Is
this because they are too hard to implement or just that nobody
thought they were important enough? I would really like to be able to
code with these. Not only are template typedefs something that C++
programmers have been asking for for ages, but even without the
templates the new alias syntax is much nicer. I would definitely
prefer writing
using handler_t = void (*)(int);
over
typedef void (*handler_t)(int);

Joe Gottman

--
[ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try posting with your ]
[ newsreader. If that fails, use mailto:std-cpp...@vandevoorde.com ]

Johannes Schaub (litb)

Jun 26, 2011, 10:09:39 PM6/26/11

Joe Gottman wrote:

> According to this website
> (http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport) no current
> compiler has support for the new template aliases.

Clang supports them. Good news!

Bo Persson

Jun 26, 2011, 10:10:26 PM6/26/11

Joe Gottman wrote:
> According to this website
> (http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport) no current
> compiler has support for the new template aliases. Why is this? Is
> this because they are too hard to implement or just that nobody
> thought they were important enough? I would really like to be able
> to code with these. Not only are template typedefs something that
> C++ programmers have been asking for for ages, but even without the
> templates the new alias syntax is much nicer. I would definitely
> prefer writing
> using handler_t = void (*)(int);
> over
> typedef void (*handler_t)(int);

I would like to have a complete C++11 compiler! :-)

There are a lot of feature to implement, and obviously the compiler
writers have seen it more useful to start with rvalue references,
auto/decltype, lambda functions, and nullptr.

Bo Persson

Yordan Naydenov

Jul 2, 2011, 3:15:45 AM7/2/11

It may well be that some incompleteness could be attributed to that table,
as is (almost) the case with such synoptic inventories. Moreover, two months
plus since the last edition are sufficient period to make that source a
little bit outdated.
As of March this year, the EDG C++ front end ver. 4.3 provided support for
template aliasing: http://www.edg.com/index.php?location=c_lang. See also
http://www.edg.com/docs/edg_cpp.pdf.

I am quite sure that EDG will fulfil the need and desire for a complete
C++0x support, as it has already been done for the previous standard
versions and language dialects. (Un)fortunately, there is more than a great
chance that EDG's product will remain the only source which provides full
coverage of all of the standard language features - a lonely focus and base
for the scarce number of compilers which may fairly be labeled
"standard-compliant."

~Yordan Naydenov

"Joe Gottman" <joseph...@comcast.net> wrote in message