Status of polymorphic lambdas?

Mathias Gaunard

Jul 25, 2009, 12:23:33 PM7/25/09
The lambda proposal initially introduced both polymorphic and
monomorphic lambdas.
It has since been retrofitted to only introduce monomorphic ones.

Is there still any hope of getting polymorphic lambdas as well?

[ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std...@netlab.cs.rpi.edu]
[ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]

Francis Glassborow

Jul 26, 2009, 6:45:55 PM7/26/09
Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> The lambda proposal initially introduced both polymorphic and
> monomorphic lambdas.
> It has since been retrofitted to only introduce monomorphic ones.
>
> Is there still any hope of getting polymorphic lambdas as well?

For C++0x? I doubt it. No doubt some implementations will offer them
as extensions and that will give us the implementation experience to
include them in a future version of C++.

--
Note that robinton.demon.co.uk addresses are no longer valid.

Giovanni Deretta

Jul 26, 2009, 6:46:12 PM7/26/09
On Jul 25, 6:23 pm, Mathias Gaunard <loufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lambda proposal initially introduced both polymorphic and
> monomorphic lambdas.
> It has since been retrofitted to only introduce monomorphic ones.
>
> Is there still any hope of getting polymorphic lambdas as well?

Yes please! IIRC, the major reason they were dropped is that it was
hard to define their semantics in a conceptualized function (mostly
because of lack of committee time). With concepts going out of the
standard, getting at least polymorphic lambdas back would make the
trade a bit more fair.

--
gpd

Saeed Amrollahi

Jul 26, 2009, 7:15:35 PM7/26/09
On Jul 25, 7:23 pm, Mathias Gaunard <loufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lambda proposal initially introduced both polymorphic and
> monomorphic lambdas.
> It has since been retrofitted to only introduce monomorphic ones.
>
> Is there still any hope of getting polymorphic lambdas as well?
>
> --
> [ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try just posting with ]
> [ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std-...@netlab.cs.rpi.edu]

> [ --- Please see the FAQ before posting. --- ]
> [ FAQ:http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]

Hi Mathias

I was at Frankfurt meeting. After removal of concept from C++0x and in
Evolutionary working group
Herb Sutter mentioned, there is room for polymorphic lambdas.
Of course, I don't know the details of what are polymorphic lambdas.
-- Saeed Amrollahi

Faisal Vali

Jul 27, 2009, 7:57:06 PM7/27/09
On Jul 26, 6:15 pm, Saeed Amrollahi <amrollahi.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was at Frankfurt meeting. After removal of concept from C++0x and in
> Evolutionary working group Herb Sutter mentioned, there is room for polymorphic lambdas.

Getting polymorphic lambdas (and/or local templates) would be huge - I
know we're all down on concepts being yanked - but as a mostly non-
library writer, i hope i'm not ostracized for saying that i would
gladly take polymorphic lambdas over concepts in their current form :)

peace,
Faisal Vali
Radiation Oncology
Loyola

Alp Mestan

Jul 28, 2009, 2:21:15 PM7/28/09
On Jul 25, 6:23 pm, Mathias Gaunard <loufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lambda proposal initially introduced both polymorphic and
> monomorphic lambdas.
> It has since been retrofitted to only introduce monomorphic ones.
>
> Is there still any hope of getting polymorphic lambdas as well?

It would indeed be really appreciated.

How big would be the necessary work to put the initial proposal in a
good shape for an integration in C++0x ?
Implementation could possibly be done through the lambda-branch of
gcc. But I'm conscious it'd mean many people working on it -- thus
restricting the chances to realize it.