Use of operator T const& to get a reference to self

James Kanze

Mar 28, 2007, 2:20:24 PM3/28/07
Given the following program:

#include <locale>

class FG
{
public:
explicit FG( std::locale const& l )
: myLoc( &l ) {}

template< typename F >
operator F const&() const
{
return get< F >( *myLoc, &std::use_facet ) ;
}

private:
std::locale const* myLoc ;

template< typename F >
F const& get( std::locale const& l,
F const& (*f)( std::locale const& ) ) const
{
return (*f)( l ) ;
}
} ;

FG
getF( std::locale const& l )
{
return FG( l ) ;
}

void
f()
{
std::ctype< char > const& ct = getF( std::locale() ) ;
}

G++ (4.1.0) instantates the template operator F const& to get
the const reference needed to call the copy constructor (which
of course fails to compile, since use_facet<FG> is not legal).
Providing a non-template:

operator FG const&() const { return *this ; }

solves the problem, but is g++ correct here? I would have
expected the temporary "FG( l )" to bind directly to the const
reference of the (compiler generated) copy constructor.

Or maybe my question is: is this intentional? Given §8.5.3/5,
"[...]If the initializer expression [...]-- has a class type [it
does] and can be implicitly converted to an lvalue of type "cv3
T3", where "cv1 T1" is reference-compatible with "cv3 T3" [...]
then [...] the reference is bound to the lvalue result of the
conversion [...]" But it doesn't seem at all natural to have a
user defined conversion called for a copy.

--
James Kanze (GABI Software) mailto:james...@gmail.com

---
[ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std...@ncar.ucar.edu ]
[ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]

Daniel Krügler

Mar 29, 2007, 3:52:02 PM3/29/07

James Kanze schrieb:

An interesting question, but IMO the standard is quite clear
here, because 12.3.2/1 says unambigiously:

"[..] A conversion function is never used to convert a (possibly
cv-qualified) object to the (possibly cv-qualified) same object
type (or a reference to it),[..]"

This sentence exists since the 1998 standard and has also
not changed in the current draft. I considered for a while that
gcc might not view a temporary as an object, but this seems
also rather clearly expressed in both 1.8 and 12.2.

I observed that even my quite old mingw gcc 3.4, a rather old
Borland Compiler (I just can't find its version number) and
MS-VS2003 show the unexpected behaviour you mention.
But no newer compiler I tested (including all public available
Comeau online versions and MS-VS2005-SP1) did. Of course
we have no majoritarian decision here, but I tend to say that
the standard is unusually unmistakable here ;-)

All newer compilers follow rather strict the mentioned rule:
To enforce this, I simply added the operator FG(FG&) to your
class and none (except the older ones) tried the conversion
operator but gave up with something like "class "FG" has no
suitable copy constructor".

As a not very relevant sidenode: Even by using the language
extension mode of MS-VS2005 the compiler did not do that
but selected instead the actually forbidden FG(FG&) c'tor with
a corresponding warning

"nonstandard extension used : 'argument' : conversion from 'FG'
to 'FG &' A non-const reference may only be bound to an lvalue;
copy constructor takes a reference to non-const") warning).

Concluding, I would say that a bug report for gcc seems a
reasonable choice.

Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel

James Kanze

Mar 30, 2007, 1:25:09 PM3/30/07
On Mar 29, 9:52 pm, "Daniel Krügler" <daniel.krueg...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> James Kanze schrieb:

> > Given the following program:

> > #include <locale>

OK. That's the sentence I was looking for. Unless there's
something I've misunderstood, I'm copying FG, and the conversion
operator was being used to initialize the FG const& parameter of
the (implicitly declared and defined) copy constructor.

> This sentence exists since the 1998 standard and has also
> not changed in the current draft. I considered for a while that
> gcc might not view a temporary as an object, but this seems
> also rather clearly expressed in both 1.8 and 12.2.

> I observed that even my quite old mingw gcc 3.4, a rather old
> Borland Compiler (I just can't find its version number) and
> MS-VS2003 show the unexpected behaviour you mention.
> But no newer compiler I tested (including all public available
> Comeau online versions and MS-VS2005-SP1) did. Of course
> we have no majoritarian decision here, but I tend to say that
> the standard is unusually unmistakable here ;-)

The sentence you quoted is exceptionally clear. To discharge
the compiler vendors some, however: this could have been
mentionned in the the section on binding to a reference. If I
were writing a compiler, that's the section I'd be following in
detail when writing the relevant code, and I'd probably have
missed this one particular case as well.

> All newer compilers follow rather strict the mentioned rule:
> To enforce this, I simply added the operator FG(FG&) to your
> class and none (except the older ones) tried the conversion
> operator but gave up with something like "class "FG" has no
> suitable copy constructor".

> As a not very relevant sidenode: Even by using the language
> extension mode of MS-VS2005 the compiler did not do that
> but selected instead the actually forbidden FG(FG&) c'tor with
> a corresponding warning

> "nonstandard extension used : 'argument' : conversion from 'FG'
> to 'FG &' A non-const reference may only be bound to an lvalue;
> copy constructor takes a reference to non-const") warning).

A reasonable choice, given that earlier versions didn't even
warn when binding a temporary to a non-const reference. (Sun CC
uses the word "anachronism" for this sort of thing.)

> Concluding, I would say that a bug report for gcc seems a
> reasonable choice.

Sounds right to me. (To be fair, I should probably install the
latest version, and try it first. But unless there's already a
bug report on it, I'd be surprised if the behavior changed.)

--
James Kanze (GABI Software) email:james...@gmail.com