standalone device or module for connecting a very low-rate vocoder such as MELPe

1 view

SecureVoice

Jun 25, 2007, 10:28:47 PM6/25/07
We are looking for a standalone device or module for connecting a very
low-rate vocoder such as MELPe to our secure voice system (my
understanding is that MELPe is the state of the art in very low
bit-rate). It needs to have analog audio on one end, and compressed
data on the other end (preferably serial such as RS-232, RS 422 etc.),
and we prefer having push-to-talk & good quality box.

(we are not looking for expensive project or hardware, it has to be cost
effective)

Can anyone recommend such a cost effective device and/or reliable
manufacturer?

Thanks
SV

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Jun 26, 2007, 10:38:54 AM6/26/07

SecureVoice wrote:

> We are looking for a standalone device or module for connecting a very
> low-rate vocoder such as MELPe to our secure voice system (my
> understanding is that MELPe is the state of the art in very low
> bit-rate). It needs to have analog audio on one end, and compressed
> data on the other end (preferably serial such as RS-232, RS 422 etc.),
> and we prefer having push-to-talk & good quality box.
>
> (we are not looking for expensive project or hardware, it has to be cost
> effective)

We are urgently looking for a medicine which can cure the greediness. We
need a lot of it. It should be very good and completely free.

VLV

VoxWiz

Jun 26, 2007, 1:06:01 PM6/26/07
You should look into Compandent's FLEXI-232 Low-Cost MELPe Data Terminal
Equipment (DTE):
http://www.compandent.com/products_flexi232.htm

From their web site:
Compandent offers low-cost Data-Terminal Equipment (DTE) for interfacing
vocoders (such as MELPe) with external Data Communication Equipment
(DCE) such as modems. For example, Compandent’s Flexible-Link for
EXternal Instrument using RS-232 (FLEXI-232) is a low-cost card that can
be used as DTE connected to various external devices such as modems
using RS-232 or other protocols. It is easy to use, just plug-and-play,
and comes with optional Push-To-Talk (PTT) switch for your convenience.
The FLEXI-232 board, illustrated in Figure 1, may be mounted to DSK
board (such as the c5416, c5510 and the c6416) that runs vocoders such
as MELPe, G729, G723.1, etc.. The FLEXI-232 is an extremely versatile
board that can be programmed to handle any required standard or
customized communication protocol (beyond what a typical DSP may be
capable of) including RS-232, RS-422, RS-423, USB, TCP-IP Ethernet,
802.11b/g Wireless, etc.. It also has user friendly control and set-up
interface. In addition, the FLEXI-232 has general purpose I/O lines that
can be customized to your special needs. It can be also delivered as a
standalone portable device in appropriate enclosure.

Their enclosures look very cool!

Cheers,
VoxWiz

fizteh89

Jun 26, 2007, 2:43:32 PM6/26/07
> > SV- Hide quoted text -

"Very low-cost (about $400) complete DSP development board and tools
(CCS)"

Does this price include TMS320C6416 DSK from Spectrum Digital in a
cool-looking enclosure pictured in Fig. 4 (http://www.compandent.com/
products_flexi232.htm) and a copy of CCS ?

Eric Jacobsen

Jun 26, 2007, 4:18:37 PM6/26/07
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:38:54 GMT, Vladimir Vassilevsky
<antispa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>SecureVoice wrote:
>
>> We are looking for a standalone device or module for connecting a very
>> low-rate vocoder such as MELPe to our secure voice system (my
>> understanding is that MELPe is the state of the art in very low
>> bit-rate). It needs to have analog audio on one end, and compressed
>> data on the other end (preferably serial such as RS-232, RS 422 etc.),
>> and we prefer having push-to-talk & good quality box.
>>
>> (we are not looking for expensive project or hardware, it has to be cost
>> effective)
>
>We are urgently looking for a medicine which can cure the greediness. We
>need a lot of it. It should be very good and completely free.
>
>VLV

Are you kidding?! Think of what you could charge for that!

;)

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.ericjacobsen.org

VoxWiz

Jun 26, 2007, 8:49:19 PM6/26/07

Yes, that's exactly my I understanding from the text. It seems like
they sell the FLEXI-232 daughtercard with MELPe, which can be mounted to
the DSK6416. So when one buys the FLEXI-232 daughtercard, one may
choose to order it with the DSK6416 for pretty much SpectrumDigital's
cost price. Probably those who already have the DSK6416 would choose
not to order it, and would purchase the FLEXI-232 daughtercard only.

VoxWiz

Jun 26, 2007, 8:52:19 PM6/26/07
What could you charge for that?
Then, maybe I'll ask Compandent for a quote for their FLEXI-232 device,
http://www.compandent.com/products_flexi232.htm
and maybe I'll be able to sell it for more? :)