Need latest version of screen.

-=Runaway Daemon=-

Feb 6, 1991, 12:36:39 PM2/6/91

Like many other people out there I have found screen to be one of the most
useful programs around. Unfortunately, nobody seems to keep track of
its progress. I am looking for the latest greatest version of screen.
I have version 2.3 pre 7 from June of 90. It has screen logging and such
but I would like to see where it stands now. Is it out of pre- status yet?

I should mention that this version was not done by the original author as he
had not heard of it. I sent it to him though. So where are we and where can
I get it?

ian

--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

Oliver Laumann

Feb 7, 1991, 5:18:32 AM2/7/91
In article <1991Feb6.1...@csn.org> frec...@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
> Like many other people out there I have found screen to be one of the most
> useful programs around. Unfortunately, nobody seems to keep track of
> its progress. I am looking for the latest greatest version of screen.
> I have version 2.3 pre 7 from June of 90.

This is not an `official' version of screen (i.e. a version maintained
by the author). The most recent official release (screen 2.1a) can be
obtained by anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu (pub/gnu/screen-2.1a.tar.Z).
screen 2.1a is distributed under the terms of the GNU copyleft.

--
Oliver Laumann n...@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de n...@tub.UUCP o...@ai.mit.edu

-=Runaway Daemon=-

Feb 7, 1991, 1:15:51 PM2/7/91
In article <25...@kraftbus.cs.tu-berlin.de> n...@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) writes:
>In article <1991Feb6.1...@csn.org> frec...@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
>> I have version 2.3 pre 7 from June of 90.
>This is not an `official' version of screen (i.e. a version maintained
>--
>Oliver Laumann n...@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de n...@tub.UUCP o...@ai.mit.edu

Your right.. I see that now. Unfortunately it is apparently not what I am
looking for. Screen 2.3-7 has some VERY nice features and I will continue
to use it. I have gotten my hands on a couple versions more closely
related to the `official' version and none of them have

screen logging
activity monitor
window aliasing (can put a name on a window)
last status bar message indicator
built in HELP window
or ablility to specify shell in .screenrc
load personalized termcap

I appreaciate your original but I would like to see more progress along the
lines of 2.3-7. I can even recall where in the hell I got 2.3-7. I think
someone just sent it to me. ;) ah well, suchislife.

ian
--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

Oliver Laumann

Feb 8, 1991, 6:16:19 AM2/8/91
In article <1991Feb7....@csn.org> frec...@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
> I have gotten my hands on a couple versions more closely
> related to the `official' version and none of them have
>
> screen logging

You don't need this, as you can use script(1).

> last status bar message indicator

screen 2.1a has this.

> built in HELP window

screen 2.1a has this.

> load personalized termcap

How does this work?

> I appreaciate your original but I would like to see more progress along the
> lines of 2.3-7. I can even recall where in the hell I got 2.3-7.

You can try to contact Wayne Davison <dav...@drivax.uucp>; he developed
at least an early version of the screen you are using.

The reason why I didn't want to make this version of screen the official
version is that, in my personal opinion, it is overloaded with too many
features, many of them of questionable utility.

--
Oliver Laumann, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.
n...@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de n...@tub.UUCP o...@ai.mit.edu

Clive Chinery

Feb 9, 1991, 6:59:25 PM2/9/91
Yes screen is very useful, but has anybody ported to run with *ANY* terminal
type -- we do not use the terminal type that has been hard coded into it.

regards Clive *****************************************************************
*************** Tel +44-71-379-4812 Fax +44-71-497-3079 *
* Plunder * email cl...@aisnet.uucp *
* hell * mail N.O.P.,Tower House, Southampton St London WC2E 7HN *
* N O W ! * std. disclaimer -- Above views are my own - not N.O.P. *

Yedidya Israel

Feb 10, 1991, 5:13:07 AM2/10/91
In article <25...@kraftbus.cs.tu-berlin.de> n...@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) writes:
>In article <1991Feb6.1...@csn.org> frec...@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:
>> Like many other people out there I have found screen to be one of the most
>> useful programs around. Unfortunately, nobody seems to keep track of
>> its progress. I am looking for the latest greatest version of screen.
>> I have version 2.3 pre 7 from June of 90.
>
>This is not an `official version of screen (i.e. a version maintained
>by the author). The most recent official release (screen 2.1a) can be
>obtained by anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu (pub/gnu/screen-2.1a.tar.Z).
>screen 2.1a is distributed under the terms of the GNU copyleft.

The version I use is 2.3-PreRelease7 19-jun-90.
I do not remember from where I ftped it, but you can ask the author,
as signed in the README file.

Wayne Davison <davison%dri...@uunet.uu.net>

(...!uunet!drivax!davison)

I am glad to use the bulletin to thank again the author for the useful
program.
--
| Israel Yedidya, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan U, Ramat-Gan, ISRAEL. |
| Internet: yed...@bimacs.biu.ac.il Bitnet: yedidya@bimacs |