Ultimate++

n.torre...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2007, 5:42:10 PM1/28/07
Ultimate++ has a page where it compares itself to wxWidgets, using
"Bombs" example program.: http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$vswx$en-
us.html

I counted 129 lines of code that contain alpha-numeric characters in
Ultimate++ version vs 417 in wxWidgets. Thus, the example is 3 times
shorter in Ultimate++.

In its defense, wxWidgets says that the comparison "isn't really
fair" :
http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/
WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits
because the wxWidgets sample is over-engineered.

Instead, from looking at the examples, it seems that wxWidgets
requires a lot of annoying boilerplate code, messing with IDs and
manual memory management. If this is not the case, I would very much
like to see a 129 line version using wxWidgets :-)

P.S. I think Ultimate++ has a Mac version, but it's Unix X (I could be
wrong)

Robert Roebling

Jan 29, 2007, 4:03:47 AM1/29/07

> Ultimate++ has a page where it compares itself to wxWidgets,
> using "Bombs" example program.: [...]

> I counted 129 lines of code that contain alpha-numeric characters
> in Ultimate++ version vs 417 in wxWidgets. Thus, the example is
> 3 times shorter in Ultimate++.

I don't know why you post this here, but it should be trivial
to make the bombs samples shorter using wxWidgets.
Which, of course, shows, proves and means exactly nothing.

Robert

Albert van Peppen

Jan 29, 2007, 5:32:07 AM1/29/07

In this example it does look like wxWidgets is indeed much more complex
and less C++ oriented..
It can be confusing when looking at it at first glance.

Nonetheless, it indeed doesn't prove anything since U++ is still in Beta
and appears to be 'a new kid on the block'.

When looking for a X-Platform C++ lib, i would definitly forget about it
since it doesn't look stable to me (yet).

Albert van Peppen

> > Ultimate++ has a page where it compares itself to wxWidgets,
> > using "Bombs" example program.: [...]
>
> > I counted 129 lines of code that contain alpha-numeric characters
> > in Ultimate++ version vs 417 in wxWidgets. Thus, the example is
> > 3 times shorter in Ultimate++.

> I don't know why you post this here, but it should be trivial
> to make the bombs samples shorter using wxWidgets.

3 times shorter or just shorter?

> Which, of course, shows, proves and means exactly nothing.

I could knock out Mike Tyson in one round, but I'm not going to do it,
because violence is not the answer :-P

Robert Roebling

Jan 30, 2007, 4:25:08 PM1/30/07
n.torre...@gmail.com wrote:

> Robert wrote:
>
> > > Ultimate++ has a page where it compares itself to wxWidgets,
> > > using "Bombs" example program.: [...]
> >
> > > I counted 129 lines of code that contain alpha-numeric characters
> > > in Ultimate++ version vs 417 in wxWidgets. Thus, the example is
> > > 3 times shorter in Ultimate++.
>
> > I don't know why you post this here, but it should be trivial
> > to make the bombs samples shorter using wxWidgets.
>
> 3 times shorter or just shorter?

The version in Ultimate++ (stripped of comments etc) has 229 lines
and my short version (below) using wxWidgets has 262 lines. The only
technical difference (in the sample) seems to be that Ultimate++
doesn't need IDs since it combines the line, which defines e.g.
a menu and the line which binds it to the code. Whereas in
wxWidgets, we now write

const int ID_EXIT = 101;
file_menu->Append( ID_EXIT, wxT("Exit") );
Connect( ID_EXIT, ..., MyFrame::OnExit ).

we could probably add an overload that does this

file_menu->AppendAndConnect( wxT("Exit"), ..., MyFrame::OnExit );

using wxNewId() internally. As I said before, all this means
and proves nothing. Noone chooses a toolkit for saving
14% typing since all that is done using GUI editors anyway.

> > Which, of course, shows, proves and means exactly nothing.
>
> I could knock out Mike Tyson in one round, but I'm not going to do
> it, because violence is not the answer :-P

See attachment. Robert: 1, Tyson: 0.

Robert

wxbombs.cpp

n.torre...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2007, 6:40:08 PM1/30/07
Hi

First of all, thanks very much for the new version.

I had to make the following changes:

1. wx.h -> wxprec.h (obscure linker warning went away)

2.
wxCoord tmp_x, tmp_y;
w.GetTextExtent(txt, &tmp_x, &tmp_y);
wxSize tsz(tmp_x, tmp_y);

instead of w.GetTextExtent(txt); (compiler error - I'm guessing you
use a newer library version)

3. field.Alloc -> field.resize (runtime assert failure)

> we could probably add an overload that does this
>
> file_menu->AppendAndConnect( wxT("Exit"), ..., MyFrame::OnExit );

:)

n.torre...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2007, 7:31:35 PM1/30/07
Hi

First of all, thanks very much for the new version.

I had to make the following changes:

1. wx.h -> wxprec.h (obscure linker warning went away)

2.
wxCoord tmp_x, tmp_y;
w.GetTextExtent(txt, &tmp_x, &tmp_y);
wxSize tsz(tmp_x, tmp_y);

instead of w.GetTextExtent(txt); (compiler error - I'm guessing you
use a newer library version)

3. field.Alloc -> field.resize (runtime assert failure)

> we could probably add an overload that does this
>
> file_menu->AppendAndConnect( wxT("Exit"), ..., MyFrame::OnExit );

:)

wxuse...@yahoo.fr

Feb 1, 2007, 3:59:13 AM2/1/07
on the site they said you can send one version. Why not sending
yours ?
Regards

On 30 jan, 22:25, rob...@roebling.de (Robert Roebling) wrote:

> wxbombs.cpp
> 7KTélécharger

Mirek Fidler

Feb 2, 2007, 5:24:06 PM2/2/07
On Jan 30, 10:25 pm, rob...@roebling.de (Robert Roebling) wrote:
> wxbombs.cpp
> 7KDownload

Thanks, updating U++ website with this vestion ASAP.

--
Mirek Fidler
U++ team leader. http://www.ultimatepp.org

Mirek Fidler

Feb 2, 2007, 5:25:17 PM2/2/07
> Thanks, updating U++ website with this vestion ASAP.

vestion->version... (typo)