Problems with SPSS 16

Andreas Völp

Jan 7, 2008, 1:12:36 PM1/7/08
After a few days of working with SPSS 16 I've had the following problems:

- I use SPSS 16.0.1 (international English version) on a desktop PC and on a
notebook computer, both running under Windows XP Prof. (German version) with
SP2 and all patches issued to date. Whenever I run a procedure on the
notebook comuter I get five identical requesters with the following error
message: "WinWrap Basic - JCAdapter not yet initialized". When I click OK
the program continues to run. The problem does not occur on the desktop PC.

- The default font for text based output is "Monospaced" (I assume that this
was installed as a part of SPSS). When I produce text based output organized
in rows and columns (e.g., a data listing using the REPORT procedure) the
alignment of the columns in the viewer is incorrect. Only when I
double-click on the text output in the viewer the alignment is corrected.

- When I set the font for text output to anything other than "Monospaced"
blanks in text output in the viewer are shown as rectangular shapes. With
some fonts these rectangles disappear when I open the text object for
editing, highlight all text and then assign the same font again. With other
fonts this does not appear to work.

Any ideas?

Here are some things that I find annoying with SPSS 16:

- Sloooow startup
- Discontinuation of the beloved Draft Viewer (although it got damaged some
versions ago)
- Inability to read .spo output files (I know you can do this using the
extra "Legacy Viewer", but I still find it annoying when a program cannot
read the output of a previous version)
- Incompatibility of templates for pivot tables
- SPSS does not "remember" the size and position of its windows from the
previous session

I'm having an odd feeling that both lists (problems and annoyances) may need
to be continued as experience with the new version increases. The best thing
about the new version that I have come across so far is that they finally
managed to fix the dataset activation bug of version 15 ...

--
Andreas Völp

Psy Consult Scientific Services
Frankfurt, Germany

popkow...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2008, 1:52:44 PM1/12/08
I updated to SPSS 16 the other day and have the same problem with the
characters in the viewer: all spaces are shown as rectangles/squares.
If somebody has got an idea on how to solve this, it would be much
appreciated.

I updated from version 14 and I must say that I liked the old user
interface much better. This is slow! Maybe it uses much more memory
and my oldish PC can not keep up with it?!

Popko Wiersma

On Jan 7, 1:12 pm, Andreas Völp <Andreas.Vo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> After a few days of working with SPSS 16 I've had the following problems:
>
> - I use SPSS 16.0.1 (international English version) on a desktop PC and on a
> notebook computer, both running under Windows XP Prof. (German version) with
> SP2 and all patches issued to date. Whenever I run a procedure on the
> notebook comuter I get five identical requesters with the following error
> message: "WinWrap Basic -  JCAdapter not yet initialized". When I click OK
> the program continues to run. The problem does not occur on the desktop PC.
>

> - The default font for text basedoutputis "Monospaced" (I assume that this

> was installed as a part of SPSS). When I produce text basedoutputorganized
> in rows and columns (e.g., a data listing using the REPORT procedure) the
> alignment of the columns in the viewer is incorrect. Only when I

> double-click on the textoutputin the viewer the alignment is corrected.
>
> - When I set the font for textoutputto anything other than "Monospaced"
> blanks in textoutputin the viewer are shown as rectangular shapes. With
> some fonts theserectanglesdisappear when I open the text object for

> editing, highlight all text and then assign the same font again. With other
> fonts this does not appear to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Here are some things that I find annoying with SPSS 16:
>
> - Sloooow startup
> - Discontinuation of the beloved Draft Viewer (although it got damaged some
> versions ago)

> - Inability to read .spooutputfiles (I know you can do this using the

> extra "Legacy Viewer", but I still find it annoying when a program cannot

> read theoutputof a previous version)

Bruce Weaver

Jan 12, 2008, 4:10:58 PM1/12/08
Andreas Völp wrote:
> After a few days of working with SPSS 16 I've had the following problems:
>
> - I use SPSS 16.0.1 (international English version) on a desktop PC and
> on a notebook computer, both running under Windows XP Prof. (German
> version) with SP2 and all patches issued to date. Whenever I run a
> procedure on the notebook comuter I get five identical requesters with
> the following error message: "WinWrap Basic - JCAdapter not yet
> initialized". When I click OK the program continues to run. The problem
> does not occur on the desktop PC.
>
> - The default font for text based output is "Monospaced" (I assume that
> this was installed as a part of SPSS). When I produce text based output
> organized in rows and columns (e.g., a data listing using the REPORT
> procedure) the alignment of the columns in the viewer is incorrect. Only
> when I double-click on the text output in the viewer the alignment is
> corrected.
>
> - When I set the font for text output to anything other than
> "Monospaced" blanks in text output in the viewer are shown as
> rectangular shapes. With some fonts these rectangles disappear when I
> open the text object for editing, highlight all text and then assign the
> same font again. With other fonts this does not appear to work.

I've experienced same problem. I'd really like to use Courier New as my
output font, but it's unreadable with all those rectangles.

> Any ideas?
>
> Here are some things that I find annoying with SPSS 16:
>
> - Sloooow startup

Yes, it does seem slower than 15.0.1.

> - Discontinuation of the beloved Draft Viewer (although it got damaged
> some versions ago)
> - Inability to read .spo output files (I know you can do this using the
> extra "Legacy Viewer", but I still find it annoying when a program
> cannot read the output of a previous version)
> - Incompatibility of templates for pivot tables
> - SPSS does not "remember" the size and position of its windows from the
> previous session
>
> I'm having an odd feeling that both lists (problems and annoyances) may
> need to be continued as experience with the new version increases. The
> best thing about the new version that I have come across so far is that
> they finally managed to fix the dataset activation bug of version 15 ...

Here are a couple more I've noticed.

1) A message appeared telling me there was a problem with the license,
and the processor stopped working. This was after running it for 2 or 3
days without any such problem. Everything was fine again after exiting
and relaunching SPSS.

2) GUI menus stopped working part way through a session.

--
Bruce Weaver
bwe...@lakeheadu.ca

Mark Ebermann

Jan 14, 2008, 5:50:38 AM1/14/08
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:12:36 +0100, Andreas Völp <Andrea...@gmx.de>
wrote:

>After a few days of working with SPSS 16 I've had the following problems:

What's really mind-numbing is the options tabbed dialogue box. It used
to be that CTRL-TAB would switch between tabs (as in every other app)
but now no keys do this, so it requires a mouse click. Were you just
going for originality with this change, Mr Peck? Do explain the logic
behind this. I'd love to know...

JKPeck

Jan 14, 2008, 9:46:22 AM1/14/08
On Jan 14, 3:50 am, Mark Ebermann <cfisc...@aachener.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:12:36 +0100, Andreas Völp <Andreas.Vo...@gmx.de>

> wrote:
>
> >After a few days of working with SPSS 16 I've had the following problems:
>
> What's really mind-numbing is the options tabbed dialogue box. It used
> to be that CTRL-TAB would switch between tabs (as in every other app)
> but now no keys do this, so it requires a mouse click. Were you just
> going for originality with this change, Mr Peck? Do explain the logic
> behind this. I'd love to know...

The entire user interface was rewritten in Java in order to increase
consistency, portability, and to provide new features such as drag &
drop and resizeable dialogs across the product. SPSS now runs
essentially the same way on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Specifically to
navigate the tabs via the keyboard, all you have to do is to put focus
on the first tab, say, via shift-tab and then use left or right cursor
keys to navigate to different tabs. You will see the focus rectangle
on the tab text when the focus is there.

TS Buhr

Jan 15, 2008, 1:12:16 PM1/15/08
I am finding that SPSS 16 isn't just slow on start up, it is MUCH MUCH
slower processing too. I'm waiting more than a minute to get
frequencies on data sets with 6,000 or so cases. With SPSS 14, my
results were very fast. (I never got the 15 upgrade). I've also had
multiple program freezes, which never happened with 14. I dread using
the program and would love to have 14 back but we have a site license
so I'm stuck. Anyone having similar problems with program freezes?
Anyone have an idea what might be causing this? My computer is a 1.5
years old...a Lenovo/IBM Pentium D820 2.8 GHz with 1 GB of PC2 RAM. I
don't think I'm lacking computing power.

Thanks.

kylie...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2008, 6:29:00 PM1/15/08

Hi everyone,

SPSS have just announced (on the SPSSX mailing list) that there are
now 2 hotfixes for SPSS 16. Hopefully they will address some of the
problems you all have been having. The hotfixes supposedly fix:
(1) performance when generating large tables in the output viewer, and
(2) exporting large tables to external applications, such as Excel.
The hotfixes can be downloaded from:
http://support.spss.com/ProductsExt/SPSS/Patches/index.html

Cheers,
Kylie.

pi...@kolodziejczyk.waw.pl

Jan 31, 2008, 6:49:39 AM1/31/08
On 12 Sty, 22:10, Bruce Weaver <bwea...@lakeheadu.ca> wrote:

> Here are a couple more I've noticed.
>
> 1) A message appeared telling me there was a problem with the license,
> and the processor stopped working.  This was after running it for 2 or 3
> days without any such problem.  Everything was fine again after exiting
> and relaunchingSPSS.

I've something similar. Previous (v15) version didn't allow to open
more than one instance of SPSS. Now, each time I open spss files
double-clicking on icons, program starts as new instance, so there is
a problem with license. When I open by menu "file-> open" everything
is ok.
Has somebody the same observation?

Piotr Kolodziejczyk