ptolemy matlab

Nandita Mangal

Mar 23, 2006, 3:13:11 PM3/23/06
to ptolemy...@eecs.berkeley.edu
hi there,
I am currently using gcc version 3.4.4 with cygwin. Is that version known to be compatible with the Ptolemy Matlab interface?
Currently running make under ptolemy/matlab gives gcc: no input files error.
( i  am  in middle of downloading cygwindevel.exe but unsure if gcc version with that cygwin installation is 3.2 or not)
I have matlab 6.5 installed  (WIndows os)

thanks!
nandita.

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2「/min or less.

Christopher Brooks

Mar 23, 2006, 5:54:31 PM3/23/06
to Nandita Mangal, ptolemy...@eecs.berkeley.edu
Hi Nandita,

Yes, as documented in the release notes, gcc after about gcc-3.2 does
not work with JNI under Windows. The problem might be more specific
to the version of cygwin. Elaine Cheong and I spent some time trying
to get JNI to work with a gcc-3.4.x version of cygwin and I don't
think we really succeeded. (Now that I think about it, we were able
to run Viptos using JNI, so maybe we got something to work.)
One issue is that the Matlab interface will fail if a Matlab model
is loaded after Ptolemy has been running for awhile. Sadly
the Java process exits.

The Ptolemy/Matlab interface uses JNI, thus the problem under
Windows with cygwin and gcc.

Zoltan Kemenczy recently wrote:

> I haven't had the chance to try this with ptolemy/matlab, but I recently
> 'discovered' how to build dlls with the latest gcc version (e.g. 3.4.4):
>
> Use '-mno-cygwin -shared' as parameters to gcc for compilation and
> linking. I was able to build matlab (7.1 sp3) extension dlls using
> these.
>
> I hope this will solve the ptolemy/matlab issue as well. Please let me =
> know either way.

I'm fairly certain Elaine and I tried -mno-cygwin -shared and it
did not work for us. I have not had a chance to look further
into this.

There are several possible solutions:
1) Use a compiler other than gcc. The dll that we ship with
Ptolemy II 5.0.1 was compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio and seems
to be more stable. I think I've seen it crash though.

The dll is in the 5.0.1 windows installer and can be found at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII5.0/ptII5.0.1/bin/ptmatlab.dll

2) Use gcc-3.2 and the corresponding cygwin. This is what we shipped
with Ptolemy II 3.0. However, it presumably has security issues
because it is so old.
See
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/cygwin.htm

3) Figure out how to get JNI to _reliably_ work with Cygwin.
The best I've heard is that it might be necessary to create a program
that launches java for you and then loading will work.
There is a good writeup at
http://elliotth.blogspot.com/2005/08/porting-jni-code-to-win32-with-cygwin.html

I'd like to get around to this, but am swamped with other tasks.
I think JNI issue is also blocking Viptos. I'm concerned that there
could be problems using JNI with Ptolemy images that have been running
for more than a few minutes.

One quick way to test JNI this is to run the tests in
$PTII/jni/test. If those test don't pass, then the odds of the
Matlab interface working are very low.

_Christopher
--------

.