grid() not working in 3.0.0

Randy Yates

Apr 18, 2008, 9:44:14 PM4/18/08
grid() does not accept two arguments. Thus, e.g.,

octave> grid("minor","on");

does not work.

Is there an update to 3.0.0?

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Mar 29 09:15:49 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your

david bateman

Apr 19, 2008, 5:07:51 PM4/19/08
On Apr 19, 3:44 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
> grid() does not accept two arguments. Thus, e.g.,
>
> octave> grid("minor","on");
>
> does not work.

This is not a documented feature of Matlab

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/grid.html&http://www.google.fr/search?q=site%3Amathworks.com+grid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Does matlab accept a second argument to the grid function? If so send
a bug report to b...@octave.org where I'm sure this will be fixed. This
wouldn't be the first time that Matlab implements something else than
they document.

In any case the code

set(gca(),'XMinorGrid','on')

will do what you want and has the advantage of being compatible with
Matlab documented API.

> Is there an update to 3.0.0?

A 3.0.1 release has been scheduled for "real soon now" for at least a
month.

D.

Randy Yates

Apr 21, 2008, 9:16:02 AM4/21/08
david bateman <dbat...@free.fr> writes:

> On Apr 19, 3:44 am, Randy Yates <ya...@ieee.org> wrote:
>> grid() does not accept two arguments. Thus, e.g.,
>>
>> octave> grid("minor","on");
>>
>> does not work.
>
> This is not a documented feature of Matlab
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/grid.html&http://www.google.fr/search?q=site%3Amathworks.com+grid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>
> Does matlab accept a second argument to the grid function? If so send
> a bug report to b...@octave.org where I'm sure this will be fixed. This
> wouldn't be the first time that Matlab implements something else than
> they document.

Ensuring octave is compatible with matlab is, in my opinion, another
issue.

The issue I have is that the octave grid() command does not operate as
the help says it should:

octave:4> help grid
-- Function File: grid (ARG)
-- Function File: grid ("minor", ARG2)
Force the display of a grid on the plot. The argument may be
either `"on"' or `"off"'. If it is omitted, the current grid
state is toggled.

If ARG is `"minor"' then the minor grid is toggled. When using a
minor grid a second argument ARG2 is allowed, which can be either
`"on"' or `"off"' to explicitly set the state of the minor grid.

See also: plot.

/usr/share/octave/3.0.0/m/plot/grid.m

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the on-line version of the manual. Use the command
`doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the he...@octave.org
mailing list.

> In any case the code
>
> set(gca(),'XMinorGrid','on')
>
> will do what you want and has the advantage of being compatible with
> Matlab documented API.

Thanks! That works!

>> Is there an update to 3.0.0?
>
> A 3.0.1 release has been scheduled for "real soon now" for at least a
> month.
>
> D.

NP. Thanks for your help, David.
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,

David Bateman

Apr 23, 2008, 3:03:17 PM4/23/08

Ok, then its either a bug in grid or its documentation.. Can you file a
bug report at b...@octave.org

D.

Randy Yates

Apr 23, 2008, 5:15:12 PM4/23/08
David Bateman <dbat...@free.fr> writes:

> Ok, then its either a bug in grid or its documentation.. Can you file a
> bug report at b...@octave.org

Yes - done.
--
% Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and