comp.soft-sys.octave mini-FAQ (please read before posting)

j...@octave.org

Jun 4, 2008, 2:38:44 PM6/4/08
This is a mini-FAQ for comp.soft-sys.octave. You can find more
information about GNU Octave at http://www.octave.org.

Questions
=========

Q1. Why doesn't this newsgroup have much traffic?
Q2. This newsgroup seems dead. Is the Octave project dead?
Q3. What should I do if I have questions about using Octave?
Q4. What should I do if I have found a bug in Octave?
Q5. I don't like mailing lists. Can I read about Octave on a
newsgroup?

Answers
=======

Q1. Why doesn't this newsgroup have much traffic?

Most people working on and using Octave participate in the Octave
mailing lists. The lists are quite active and friendly. You can
find more information about the lists, including archives of past
postings at

http://www.octave.org/archive.html

Q2. This newsgroup seems dead. Is the Octave project dead?

The Octave project is definitely not dead. Please don't base your
judgement of the level of interest in Octave on the number of
postings to comp.soft-sys.octave. Instead, check out the activity
on the Octave mailing lists.

This newsgroup seems dead because most people working on and using
Octave use the Octave mailing lists to discuss Octave. See also
Question 1.

Q3. What should I do if I have questions about using Octave?

If you have questions about Octave, please check the Octave web
site
first (http://www.octave.org). If your questions are not answered
ask for help there. Many people subscribe to that list who may be
able to help you solve your problem. You can find more
information about the lists, including archives of past postings
at

http://www.octave.org/archive.html

Q4. What should I do if I have found a bug in Octave?

If you think you've found a bug in Octave, please send a complete
report to the b...@octave.org mailing list. To find out how to
submit a report that will be useful for solving the problem,
please read

http://www.octave.org/bugs.html

Q5. I don't like mailing lists. Can I read about Octave on a
newsgroup?

If you prefer to use a web or news interface over mailing lists,
you can use http://nabble.com or http://gmane.org to read the
Octave lists.

There are also digest options for the lists, so you can read them
in batch mode if you prefer that.