Figure export in Snow Leopard, r2007a

Bill Brocklesby

Nov 11, 2009, 11:50:22 AM11/11/09
Dear folks,
just run Matlab for the first time on a new Snow Leopard install, and I'm getting many java errors both on startup (which I've seen has been happening to many people) but more worryingly I get serious java errors when trying to do figure exporting.

Usually this step is fine, but today I'm getting lots of red java errors like:
------------
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.mathworks.jmi.bean.MatlabBeanInterface.addCallback(MatlabBeanInterface.java:680)
at com.mathworks.jmi.bean.MatlabCallbackInterface.addCallback(MatlabCallbackInterface.java:128)
[repeated many times]

When the export dialog opens, none of the buttons seem to function at all - not even the exit one. Have tried under 64-bit and 32-bit Java (rearranging the order in Java preferences) but no different.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't see any other references to it when I search....

Thanks,

Bill

Brian Arnold

Nov 12, 2009, 10:41:39 AM11/12/09
to Bill Brocklesby
Hi Bill,

The specific issue you are running into is between older releases of
MATLAB and Java 6, which is resolved in R2008a or later (R2008a, R2008b,
R2009a and R2009b, on all platforms). MATLAB R2007a is qualified on Mac
OS X 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard using Java 1.5, and is not qualified on
10.6 Snow Leopard or with Java 6.

That said, we have performed some testing with older releases, and there
are some workarounds or solutions for customers still using those releases.

For example, you can apply a patch to resolve some of the Java
exceptions during startup in R2007a; contact technical support to obtain
the patch. For all of the exceptions on startup, we have been working
with Apple to have them resolved in a future Java update; however this
specific issue is not addressable by Apple.

Since this is a known issue with Java 6 and not with Java 5, another
option is to revert your Java version to Java 5; however, that is not an
option on Snow Leopard, and we have no control over that. In general,
older software releases are likely to suffer at the hands of major OS
upgrades, and your best bet is to either regularly update both the OS
and the software you use regularly, or the reverse; in short, keep the
OS in sync with the software you use regularly.

HTH,

- Brian

Thomas

Jul 23, 2011, 1:31:09 PM7/23/11
"Bill Brocklesby" <w...@orc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message <hdeq0e$f0k$1...@fred.mathworks.com>...
I got Matlab to behave without giving me Java errors. I don't know how or why this works, but I simply went into my root library folder and changed the permisions for the Java folder to dropbox for everyone. This is my first post, but I hope it helps someone.