Scilab 4.1.2, Visual C++ 2008 Express and Windows XP?

Dirk Reusch

Dec 3, 2007, 4:34:45 AM12/3/07
Hello,

I am not a very experienced Windows user, so may be
the answers to the following questions are evident,
but unfortunately not for me :-(

I have installed "Visual C++ 2008 Express" and
Scilab 4.1.2 under Windows XP. However Scilab
can't find any C compiler.

Is it possible to tell Scilab 4.1.2 to use "Visual
C++ 2008 Express" for compilation jobs?

If yes, what is to be done to achieve that?

Thank you,

Dirk

Francois Vogel

Dec 3, 2007, 7:11:51 AM12/3/07
Dirk Reusch said on 03/12/2007 10:34:

> Is it possible to tell Scilab 4.1.2 to use "Visual
> C++ 2008 Express" for compilation jobs?

You could perhaps start by tampering with the source of the
findmsvccompiler.sci (in Scipad, File/openS source of... and type in
the first letters of the macro name). This macro looks at hardcoded
places in the registry for keys related to available compilers.

The rest depends on what you're trying to do precisely. For instance
on my side I never managed to compile Scilab-4.x itself with any free
compiler. What a pity for a "free" software...

However if you're trying to link C code to an existing already
compiled Scilab-4.1.2, this could turn out to be feasible with VS 2008
Express, starting at adjusting findmsvccompiler.sci.

Francois

Allan CORNET

Dec 4, 2007, 8:13:05 AM12/4/07

Please download scilab nightly build (Dec 5, 2007)
http://www.scilab.org/download/index_download.php?page=nightly_builds

I updated scilab to detect and support Visual studio 2008 C++ Express with
dynamic link.

Please notice that you need to install Visual studio 2008 C++ Express
(http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/)
(http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7729279) and SDK for windows
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en)

Visual Studio 2008 C++ Express was released Nov. 19, 2007
Scilab 4.1.2 was released Oct. 23, 2007

Best Regards

Allan CORNET
Scilab Team

"Dirk Reusch" <dirk....@blubber.blah> a écrit dans le message de

Ramine Nikoukhah

Dec 4, 2007, 9:00:36 AM12/4/07
to dirk....@blubber.blah
Allan CORNET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please download scilab nightly build (Dec 5, 2007)
> http://www.scilab.org/download/index_download.php?page=nightly_builds

You should be aware that in this version of Scilab you do not have the
latest release of Scicos.

Ramine

Dirk Reusch

Dec 4, 2007, 12:07:52 PM12/4/07
Hello,

Thank you very much for the very prompt update. I
was not aware that Scilab 4.1.2 was released after
MVC++ 2008 Express.

I am quite interested in using the latest release
ofm Scicos, so I will try to user the five changed
*.sci Files (ilib_for_link.sci, ...) in Scilab
version 4.1.2.

Once again, thanks

Dirk