scilab 5.0.1 crashes

ga

Sep 14, 2008, 3:13:11 PM9/14/08

I have tried to install scilab 5.0.1 under Linux (Kubuntu 7.10 with
graphics card Intel 85x and i810 graphics driver). I read on the
release note that

"Errors often appear on Intel cards under Linux"

I wonder if this is my case and if there is a solution for it. Details
of my problem follows:

The main scilab window opens with a warning on the linux shell:

(<unknown>:8441): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

but seems to work for command line commands. As soon as I try to open
a graphic window or Scicos the program crashes and the command line is
full of messages such as:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" javax.media.opengl.GLException:
Error mak
ing context current
at
com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11GLContext.makeCurrentImpl(X11GLContext.java:
141)
at
com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11OffscreenGLContext.makeCurrentImpl(X11Offs
creenGLContext.java:74)
at
com.sun.opengl.impl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:134)
at
com.sun.opengl.impl.GLDrawableHelper.invokeGL(GLDrawableHelper.java:1
82)
at javax.media.opengl.GLJPanel.paintComponent(GLJPanel.java:
661)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)

continues for several lines

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb590f2d7, pid=8441, tid=2630708112
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (10.0-b22 mixed mode linux-x86)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libX11.so.6+0x322d7] XQueryExtension+0x17
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/scilab/scilab-5.0.1/hs_err_pid8441.log
#
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dumped)

Sylvestre Ledru

Sep 17, 2008, 10:32:25 AM9/17/08
Le Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:13:11 -0700, ga a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to install scilab 5.0.1 under Linux (Kubuntu 7.10 with
> graphics card Intel 85x and i810 graphics driver). I read on the release
> note that
>
> "Errors often appear on Intel cards under Linux"

Intel drivers are pretty bad under Linux.

You can use Scilab graphisms by enabling the software acceleration
instead of the material.

Sylvestre

ga

Sep 18, 2008, 4:03:44 AM9/18/08

thanks for your reply.

> Intel drivers are pretty bad under Linux.

this means that future release still will not work with this
configuration?

> You can use Scilab graphisms by enabling the software acceleration
> instead of the material.

i'd like to but... I have no idea of what does it mean ;)

can I ask you to further details this suggestion?

thanks a lot

g.

ramine

Sep 24, 2008, 4:54:56 AM9/24/08
to ga, scicos
ga a �crit :

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to install scilab 5.0.1 under Linux (Kubuntu 7.10 with
> graphics card Intel 85x and i810 graphics driver). I read on the
> release note that
>
> "Errors often appear on Intel cards under Linux"
>
> I wonder if this is my case and if there is a solution for it. Details
> of my problem follows:
>
> The main scilab window opens with a warning on the linux shell:
>
> (<unknown>:8441): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
> Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>
> but seems to work for command line commands. As soon as I try to open
> a graphic window or Scicos the program crashes

Scicos included in Scilab 5 is a poor port of an old version of Scicos;
it does not function properly. The latest version of Scicos is included
in scilabgtk which can be downloaded from www.scicos.org or directly
from www.scilabgtk.org.
Cheers
Ramine

Sylvestre Ledru

Sep 24, 2008, 11:44:42 AM9/24/08

>> You can use Scilab graphisms by enabling the software acceleration
>> instead of the material.
>
> i'd like to but... I have no idea of what does it mean ;)
>
> can I ask you to further details this suggestion?
I am talking about the lib mesa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_3D

Sylvestre