publicon

alexxx...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2009, 6:01:37 AM6/27/09
I just finished writing an article using LyX to have - as a final
product - a LaTeX file to submit.
Although I rather like LyX (http://www.lyx.org), since I use
Mathematica so much I was interested in seeing how well it performs in
LaTeX production.

>From what I read in this group I see that I would need to buy
Publicon, but I have a couple of caveats - hope you can help me:

1) from an old post, mathematica people recently stated (February
2008, post by Steve Luttrell ) that:
"...we're still working on publicon. We all got sidetracked trying to finish
M6, but now we're starting up again. We are actively coding a 1.1 release,
and after that we will be integrating it into Mathematica as a paclet to
exploit v6 features, and also as a stand-alone app, Publicon v2."

any fresher news?

2) most important, plain LaTeX export is useless without support for
document classes. Does Publicon supports them? I'm mostly looking for
RevTex4, and IEEEtran. Moreover, it would be useless without the
possibility to add new classes on the fly: often conferences ask you
to download their class package...

thank you for any help...

alessandro

Larry Adelston

Jun 30, 2009, 6:34:56 AM6/30/09

On Jun 27, 2009, at 5:01 AM, alexxx...@gmail.com wrote:

> I just finished writing an article using LyX to have - as a final
> product - a LaTeX file to submit.
> Although I rather like LyX (http://www.lyx.org), since I use
> Mathematica so much I was interested in seeing how well it performs in
> LaTeX production.
>
>> From what I read in this group I see that I would need to buy
> Publicon, but I have a couple of caveats - hope you can help me:
>
> 1) from an old post, mathematica people recently stated (February
> 2008, post by Steve Luttrell ) that:
> "...we're still working on publicon. We all got sidetracked trying
> to finish
> M6, but now we're starting up again. We are actively coding a 1.1
> release,
> and after that we will be integrating it into Mathematica as a
> paclet to
> exploit v6 features, and also as a stand-alone app, Publicon v2."
>
> any fresher news?

We are continuing to support Publicon, and parts of it are currently
being developed as native functionality in Mathematica. We may also
continue to offer an updated standalone version based on Mathematica
Player.

> 2) most important, plain LaTeX export is useless without support for
> document classes. Does Publicon supports them? I'm mostly looking for
> RevTex4, and IEEEtran. Moreover, it would be useless without the
> possibility to add new classes on the fly: often conferences ask you
> to download their class package...

Publicon already supports export to RevTeX. And we are in the process
of expanding Publicon's, as well as Mathematica's, LaTeX export and
import capabilities.

Your,
Larry

> thank you for any help...
>

> alessandro

__________________________________
Larry Adelston
Print Production Supervisor
Wolfram Research Inc.
email: lar...@wolfram.com
phone: 217-398-0700, ext.: 3204
fax: 217-398-0747
http://www.wolfram.com

divisor

Aug 3, 2009, 5:46:08 AM8/3/09
Hello Larry & MathGroup:

Does using Publicon obviate the need for LyX completely?

Can you say if Publicon will be subsumed under/inside TeXForm[]?

What does Publicon do with active elements (e.g. Manipulate[], Dynamic
[], et.al.)?

I did some testing with TeXFom[] and I found it cannot "eat" Graphics3D
[], let alone Dynamic[]. But it does process even amazingly
complicated formulas very nicely!

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory

On Jun 30, 3:34 am, Larry Adelston <lar...@wolfram.com> wrote:

> fax: 217-398-0747http://www.wolfram.com- Hide quoted text -

Larry Adelston

Aug 4, 2009, 4:25:30 AM8/4/09
Hi Roger,

Please see my responses below.

On Aug 3, 2009, at 4:46 AM, divisor wrote:

> Hello Larry & MathGroup:
>
> Does using Publicon obviate the need for LyX completely?

Yes, if you are only trying to produce LaTeX formats that are
supported by Publicon. However, Publicon is neither a TeX editor nor
viewer. TeX is merely a document export format, and you may, at some
point, need to edit the TeX output directly for publication (to
finesse page breaks for example).

> Can you say if Publicon will be subsumed under/inside TeXForm[]?

No, TeXForm[] is used primarily for converting mathematical
expressions one-by-one. If you want to export an entire document, you
must use LaTeX export.

> What does Publicon do with active elements (e.g. Manipulate[], Dynamic
> [], et.al.)?

Publicon is currently incompatible with these new active elements,
they would have to be converted to static objects or graphics.

Yours,
Larry

> I did some testing with TeXFom[] and I found it cannot "eat"
> Graphics3D
> [], let alone Dynamic[]. But it does process even amazingly
> complicated formulas very nicely!
>
> Regards..
>
> Roger Williams
> Franklin Laboratory
>
> On Jun 30, 3:34 am, Larry Adelston <lar...@wolfram.com> wrote:

>> fax: 217-398-0747http://www.wolfram.com- Hide quoted text -

__________________________________

divisor

Aug 5, 2009, 5:44:27 AM8/5/09
Hello MathGroup:

Thanks for this info Larry.

I think what I wanted to type before was TeXSave (now obsolete
replaced with Export[..."TeX"]).

I know that ther are a few books that were mostly "formatted" in
Mathematica (the Navigator book & the MathStatica book come to mind).
And most of the publishing threads here talk about exporting to EPS
then to LaTeX or exporting MathML.

So, I would like to know:

Has anyone successfully converted a full Mathematica notebook using Export[]
or File-->SaveAs--> (name).tex and then pushed it over to a TeX
implmentation (e.g. LyX) and had this "look correct"?

Thanks in advance.

Regards..

> >> fax: 217-398-0747http://www.wolfram.com-Hide quoted text -

> __________________________________
> Larry Adelston
> Print Production Supervisor
> Wolfram Research Inc.
> email: lar...@wolfram.com
> phone: 217-398-0700, ext.: 3204

Yerex, Robert

Aug 6, 2009, 6:32:24 AM8/6/09
Roger,

I have actually started using Publicon as my principal tool for
publication and it has gone well. The main drawback is that Mathematica
and Publicon are not seamlessly integrated. It would be ideal for my
situation if Publicon was an add-on to Mathematica rather than a
separate package. In the end the issue is resolved by the fact that I
have moved from developing directly in Mathematica to using Workbench
(Eclipse) for writing Mathematica code, and then doing all my
documentation in Publicon. I print to PDF with Adobe Distiller. I also
would appreciate more templates for Publicon, or maybe a forum for
exchanging them. I Have modified the American Mathematica Association
template for submission to AEA, the American Economics Association.

Dr. Robert P. Yerex, Ph.D., MBA
Chief Economist

Kronos Incorporated
tel: 503 596 5015

www.kronos.com

Hello MathGroup:

Thanks in advance.

> >> fax: 217-398-0747http://www.wolfram.com-Hide quoted text -

> __________________________________
> Larry Adelston
> Print Production Supervisor
> Wolfram Research Inc.
> email: lar...@wolfram.com
> phone: 217-398-0700, ext.: 3204

Larry Adelston

Aug 7, 2009, 5:31:39 AM8/7/09
Hi Roger,

We are in the process of integrating Publicon and Publicon-like
features into future versions of Mathematica, but we can't offer
specifics of what and when.

Yours,
Larry

> From: "Yerex, Robert" <robert...@kronos.com>
> Date: August 6, 2009 6:30:23 AM EDT
> To: math...@smc.vnet.net
> Subject: Re: Re: publicon
>
> Roger,
>
> I have actually started using Publicon as my principal tool for
> publication and it has gone well. The main drawback is that
> Mathematica
> and Publicon are not seamlessly integrated. It would be ideal for my
> situation if Publicon was an add-on to Mathematica rather than a
> separate package. In the end the issue is resolved by the fact that I
> have moved from developing directly in Mathematica to using Workbench
> (Eclipse) for writing Mathematica code, and then doing all my
> documentation in Publicon. I print to PDF with Adobe Distiller. I also
> would appreciate more templates for Publicon, or maybe a forum for
> exchanging them. I Have modified the American Mathematica Association
> template for submission to AEA, the American Economics Association.
>
> Dr. Robert P. Yerex, Ph.D., MBA
> Chief Economist
>
> Kronos Incorporated
> tel: 503 596 5015
>
> www.kronos.com

Larry Adelston

Aug 15, 2009, 5:33:02 AM8/15/09
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The following is a
published title that was written in Mathematica and exported to LaTeX
for print.

Mathematica By Example, 4e: http://www.wolfram.com/books/profile.cgi?id=7186

Yours,
Larry