A modified StyleSheet results in FontSize fluctuations in the pdf

Alexei Boulbitch

Jun 30, 2010, 8:05:10 AM6/30/10
Dear Community,

I need to write documents and spread them in the pdf format, while I
would like to keep them for myself as the Mathematica notebooks
containing all calculations and codes. For this purposes I like the
JournalArticle format that meets all my requirements, except for the
problem that the fonts there are too small. If you save such an article
as a pdf, and then print it, you cannot read the text, since the letters
size is much too small to see them with the bare eye. For this reason I
often get objections, since if I cannot provide an easily readable
document, I should use MS Word instead.

To solve this I slightly modified the JourmalArticle format, by simply
increasing the FontSize of the Text to 16 pts, and also some other
FontSizes correspondingly. I also did few other minor changes, like a
change of the Font of Formula.

Now comes the problem and my question:

1. When I now produced the notebook using this new style and transform
it into pdf, most of the chapters have the FontSize 16 as expected, but
few others - 14 pts. This is not wanted. When I check in the original
notebook, the FontSize is 16 in the chapter that as shown in 16 pts as
well as in that shown in 14 pts.

2. When I check the FontSize of various chapters in the notebook, some
of them are 16, but some others are 14 pts. The strange thing here is
that they
a) visually have the same size of the letters in the notebook (but you
see different figures when going to Menu/Format/FontSize), and
b) may be shown in equal size in pdf, while some of those that have the
"legitimate" FontSize 16 in the notebook may appear smaller in pdf, as I
already reported.

Do you have any idea, what is it, and what to do?
I can send the notebooks with the style and the article, if any of you
finds it helpful.

Regards, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.b...@iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended

John Fultz

Jul 1, 2010, 8:27:50 AM7/1/10
PDF export uses the Printout environment. So, probably, there is some variation
between the sizes used for the Working and Printout environments in your
modified stylesheet. Note that these modifications might not involve a
different font size, but might instead involve a magnification which is set to
some value other than 100%. The WRI stylesheets generally have
Magnification->0.8 set on the Printout Environment, so it might be as easy as
setting...

Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"],
Magnification->1.]

You can see what's going on interactively by setting your screen environment to
Printout and examining one of the notebooks. You can do this under the
Format->Screen Environment menu.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfu...@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

Larry Adelston

Jul 1, 2010, 8:28:22 AM7/1/10
Dear Alexei,

I've filed a bug report with regard your FontSize issue in the
JournalArticle stylesheet. It will be fixed in version 8. In the
meantime you can try the following workaround:

1. Copy/Paste the following notebook expression into Mathematica:

Notebook[{Cell[
StyleData[
StyleDefinitions ->
FrontEnd`FileName[{"Article"}, "JournalArticle.nb",
CharacterEncoding -> "UTF-8"]]],
Cell[CellGroupData[{Cell["Environment Styles", "Section"],
Cell[StyleData[All, "Printout"], Magnification -> 1.]}, Open]],
Cell[CellGroupData[{Cell["Styles for Input and Output Cells",
"Section"],
Cell[
CellGroupData[{Cell[StyleData["Input"]],
Cell[StyleData["Input", "Printout"], FontSize -> 10]}, Open]],
Cell[
CellGroupData[{Cell[StyleData["InputOnly"]],
Cell[StyleData["InputOnly", "Printout"], FontSize -> 10]},
Open]],
Cell[
CellGroupData[{Cell[StyleData["Code"]],
Cell[StyleData["Code", "Printout"], FontSize -> 10]}, Open]],
Cell[
CellGroupData[{Cell[StyleData["Output"]],
Cell[StyleData["Output", "Printout"], FontSize -> 10]},
Open]]},
Open]]}, WindowSize -> {640, 722},
WindowMargins -> {{256, Automatic}, {Automatic, 50}},
FrontEndVersion -> "7.0 for Mac OS X PowerPC (32-bit) (February 18,
2009)",
StyleDefinitions -> "PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"]

2. A dialog box will open asking if you want to interpret the text.
Click Yes.

3. A new stylesheet will appear. This is the stylesheet you will use
in place of JournalArticle. The new stylesheet refers to
JournalArticle, however. So I in order for the new stylesheet to work
correctly, your JournalArticle stylesheet should be unmodified.

4. Save the new stylesheet by either of the following 2 methods:
method 1:
a. Click "Install Stylesheet ..." which is a button that appears at
the top of the new stylesheet
b. In the Install dialog:
* set Type to Stylesheet,
* set Source to the name that appears on the stylesheets title bar
(e.g., Untitled-2)
* for Install Name type JournalArticleAlt
* for Default Installation Directory choose Your user Mathematica base
directory
* finally, click Finish twice. Note, Finish will appear grayed out
before your first click. It is still clickable.

method 2 (saving the stylesheet file):
a. To determine the correct location in which to save the stylesheet,
open a new notebook and evaluate:
FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd",
"StyleSheets"}]
b. Save the file by choosing File > Save
c. In the Save dialog box:
* type the name of the stylesheet file: JournalArticleAlt.nb
* select the directory location that was determined from your
evaluation.
* click the Save button
d. Restart Mathematica

5. You can apply the new stylesheet called "JournalArticleAlt" by
choosing Format > Stylesheet > JournalArticleAlt. Note, if
JournalArticleAlt is not an available selection, try restarting
Mathematica.

Yours,
Larry

telefunkenvf14

Jul 1, 2010, 8:25:51 AM7/1/10
> e-mail: alexei.boulbi...@iee.lu

> www.iee.lu
>
> --
>
> This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
> otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby
> notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly
> prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original
> transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.

Did you write most of the article before creating and applying the
modifying the style? If so, the first thing I'd suggest is clicking
the outermost cell bracket (i.e., select the entire document; Ctrl+A
on Windowz), and then 'right click' and select 'Clear Formatting'.
This should ensure that your customized styles are applied to the
entire document.

-RG

AES

Jul 2, 2010, 2:56:19 AM7/2/10
In article <i0i1l6$hqk$1...@smc.vnet.net>,
Larry Adelston <lar...@wolfram.com> wrote:

> Dear Alexei,
>
> I've filed a bug report with regard your FontSize issue in the
> JournalArticle stylesheet. It will be fixed in version 8. In the
> meantime you can try the following workaround:
>

> 1. Copy/Paste the following notebook expression into Mathematica:

It's helpful (for some of us anyway) to have a very detailed, clear,
complete, and explicit set of instructions like this one -- worth the
substantial effort I know it must take to write them.

Thanks!